Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

rotor posted:

I'm tired of gassing threads and being the bad guy all the time

rotor, let this one live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

rotor posted:

let this now be the new bitcoin thread. here's some fun rules:

let it be funny.
do not engage with fishmech.
if you find yourself posting something serious about economics, please drink rat poison.

the economics chat is really interesting sometimes, can we draw a different line? :(

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

like "economics chat can't go on for more than a page"

also no galtse

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

99% invisible is a p. good podcast

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

i like hardcore history

i really wanna like hardcore history, the dude goes over some super interesting details and re-framing of events and people that history was very nice to when really they were monsters etc.

but the dude has two voices

"chill narration history teacher"

and

"reading every single quoted piece of history in a rambunctious overexcited yet articulate rage"

like if this dude was going to read a love letter that thomas j. wrote to one of his many wives, he'd read it the same way he'd read a war declaration

it bothers me so much i cant listen to his loving podcast

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

he does not have a radio voice and his method of speech and his cadence is forced and loving exhausting, is what im trying to say

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i would kill for an in depth history podcast that used the voice of guy from radiolab or 99% invisible

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

"this man who spent like a decade being a talk radio host doesn't have a radio voice"

lol

:colbert: his podcasts content is loving cool but his oration is exhausting to listen to. would you listen to glenn beck yell about history for four loving hours?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

haha i know exactly what you mean about when he reads things. i'm just so used to it it sort of slides off me now but it used to annoy the hell out of me. actually still does when i notice it

"the russians fought hard at stalingrad, exemplified by this letter from pvt nikita kruschev to his mother which i will now read *ahem* DEAR MOTHER IT IS VERY COLD HERE ETC"

nooo don't be fishmeched

i cant do it man, i've put up with like 8 hours of his THE OCEAN IS ROCKING AND THE MEN ARE FEELING NOT QUITE SO GOOD DUE TO THE SCURVY hoping to just get over it but its loving awful, its so uncomfortable i cannot stand it

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

dan carlin talks like alex jones because they're both former am talk radio hosts that got big in the late 80s.

:coffeepal: cool!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

any direct reference to something he is about to tell you is read in an exasperated tone

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ill be podcast stymie if i have to im just really disappointed yb hardcore history

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

h... how are yiffcoins generated?

by yiffing

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

i listened to his series on the mongols and it was very interesting but towards the end i'd just start skipping ahead whenever he compared them to the nazi's again

every time he was all "they were like, and i hate to bring this up, but... they were like the nazis" and i'm all "no they were worse the roads were literally slick with blood and gore GET ON WITH IT ALREADY"

the problem with almost every podcast is that there is no real editor to, you know, edit.

and then the Mongols looked in the mirror and realized they were the bad nazis

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

yiffcoin functions on a tablechain

:eyepop:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

The Leck posted:

radiolab is unlistenable.

Malloreon posted:

roman mars is perpetually on the edge of sneezing and I can't stand it.

so then it's decided

all podcasts are bad

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

please tell me more about those crazy dumb normals

i don't think the dude was making a DUMB NORMIES argument, nerds and EE people are loving awful and understanding a toaster or crypto currency (not like any coiners actually understand Bitcoin) doesn't make you a god among men

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

this is a really cool photo thank you

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

buy high dude and sell slow

you could say that Mr. Dank is always buying high

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

vOv posted:

what is this from

terminator 2

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

terminate yourself OP

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

TVarmy posted:

where the borg are defeated using a 3d printed tommy gun inside an oculus rift sim.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

bitcoin: be you[']r[e] [on your] own bank lawyer debt collector

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(hmm, butts... movement... there's a joke there...)

the price of butts is twerking!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

ok but that's still not chaos theory

also the problem comes when idiots take "booms and busts are part of the free market" , add ideology of "free market is always optimal" and conclude that booms and busts serve an important purpose and seeking to avoid them is counterproductive

the the the the market it.. it.. finds a way it.. changes it adapts it..

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

*runs bead of water along karpele's hand, sensually*

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Same Great Paste posted:

realtalk "non-violent communication" is a good book that everyone on the planet would benefit from reading once. but lol at taking a course. even just the book by itself is pretty thin.

if someone is being a conversational fuckhead at you, do not react or be a fuckhead back. just keep responding with "So you're saying [restate what they just said]", and unironically try very hard to make sure you're repeating back to them what they've said in a way that they will find accurate. keep doing this, unironically, until they feel heard. it will be an obvious no matter how spergtastic you are.

90% of the book's theory is that most communication goes off the rails because both parties feel the other person isn't listening, and when a person feels "not listened to" they themselves stop listening. so they recommend the most explicit possible way of making it clear that you are hearing what the other person wants you to hear.

it's a little awkward to do the first few times because it feels condescending, but holy poo poo. even if you don't read up past what i've posted here, just try it once. change your life.

e: lol butts

as a p. good communicator and mediator this has limits, its definitely a good diffuser sometimes but you gotta make sure you are actually listening lol, i've seen people do the "so you're saying" but don't really internalize it

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

bitcoiners mindlessly laud their technology and by extension themselves while simultaneously ignoring the huge human history of elaborate breakthroughs that changed the way entire civilizations function overnight

bitcoin slips out of satoshi's butthole and 99% of the world doesn't even bat an eye and they run around trying to convince eachother that the bitcoin singularity is upon us

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

jesus christ fishmech did somebody poo poo in your fridge tonight or something

poo poo in fridge poo poo in fridge... nope nothing about this on Wikipedia hmm

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Boxturret posted:

i got 35 pages in ...!'s posts from last thread but didn't find it :(

ctrl-f broke, that's a thing that can happen in chrome apparently

...! is the mantle of this earth we call the bitcoin thread

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

How did he gently caress it up? I heard something about a dude going into hiding but I have no idea how he was found out.

lol he posted a windows 7 explorer screenshot of the picture thumbnails and it had all his company computers & some account names which was enough for some sleuth to figure out what the company was (some plcae in georgia) and after some dot connecting and reddit comment history the dude had been with out a doubt found out

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

Bitcoin promoter pleads guilty to unlicensed use of currency

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/04/us-usa-crime-bitcoin-idUSKBN0GZ2OG20140904

"I knew that much of the business on Silk Road involved the buying and selling of narcotics," Shrem said in court. "I knew that what I was doing was wrong."

A co-conspirator, Robert Faiella, 54, pleaded guilty to a similar charge, and both men face up to five years in prison when they appear again in court in January.

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a rattling mining elevator comes to a halt

the workers squint as they revisit the sunlight they had left so long ago

the foreman comes running

"well? did you find it? was it there?"

a tired worker takes off his helmet and runs his coal blackened hands through his hair and hands the foreman a piece of paper

the foreman takes the paper and unfolds it slowly, hands trembling

it reads http://www.wired.com/2014/09/the-fbi-finally-says-how-it-legally-pinpointed-silk-roads-server/

the foreman grins and looks up at the tired crew, who all immediately burst into jumping cheers

"the laugh mines are back open"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

vOv posted:

Think of Facebook/LinkedIn had a three-way with the Blockchain

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOb4xxGIkeA

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

all this time we've been mocking bitcoiners not because they were wrong, but because they weren't the true believers they thought they were

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

now come, children, to the buttcoin cult, there is still time and the buttchain welcomes all its children into its trustless peer to peer maw

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

theres some libertarian irony in the thread bein 5'd enough to be "GOLD", i wish it flashed "BUTT" since gold is a worthless resource compared to the glory of the Great Ledger in the Cloud

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

so do we know who this....

anthony

geary

is? are we sure his name isn't james?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Krinkle posted:

If I wanted to hack satoshi's email address I'd do a password recovery and for mothers maiden name I'd just put in whatever google i'm feeling lucky says to "what's the best train".

we have to bring fishmech outta retirement, he's the only one whos mind works like satoshi's

• Locked thread