Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
pretend i posted all of galtse here too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

surebet posted:

:tipshat:

also this

is that on a gpu, or is that something you could adapt a lovely asic miner into doing, or what

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

TVarmy posted:

^^^^ it strikes me as weird they have these cypherpunk anarchist fantasies, but once you suggest someone could do real, objectionable crime with these technologies, they get all offended. and it shows when they try to offer really odd edge cases that are legitimate but super contrived, like "imagine it's 2am on martin luther king day and you are trying to buy a chinese company for $30 million but they deal needs to be closed RIGHT NOW and the chinese businessmen don't know what martin luther king day is. your only option is bitcoin." the fact they have so much trouble naming a realistic and legitimate usecase where bitcoin is better than existing options is telling.

every time i see this, it amazes me.

it's the cost (in terms of amount of bitcoins minted) for each transaction. at first glance, you might see that and think, "yeah, that's kind of a lot, but it's not a fee anyone is paying. it's the creation of units of account by community consensus around an algorithm."

but then you realize miners run at really tiny margins, if they are even lucky enough to break even. so that's roughly how much real-world electricity is being spent on each transaction. if electricity costs 10 cents per kwhr, and a tesla model s can go 100 miles on 38kwhr or 2.63 miles per kwhr (EPA estimate), that means you could get in a car and drive 603 miles cheaper than sending a bitcoin transaction. and if you bring a pocket full of cash and neglect to include a transaction fee on that bitcoin transaction, your paper money will arrive at its destination sooner.

using wolfram alpha's statistics, one bitcoin transaction uses ~1/6 of a standard clothes dryer's annual electricity consumption, and generates 100 kilograms of CO2.

one transaction

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hellocruelworld posted:

Seems like BFL employees are still posting on the forums as if everything is just peachy:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/post-sales-and-customer-service/8313-mining-gh-s-contracts-unfair-treatment.html
Today there was a post to this thread as user "icreator" decided to buy some bitcoin mining by the GH on January 2nd for $3,249.00, however the user says "but not take anything", which I'm guessing to mean nothing happened with his order in very broken english.

Enter in the helpful moderator posts: "Keep checking the shipping update blogs, once your order comes up you will be contacted with a better offer for increased GH/s or a refund. Or you can ask for a refund now.https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/recent-entries/ And follow this Bitcoin Mining Hardware - ASIC Bitcoin Miner - Butterfly Labs"

BFL is going to give him a better offer! If he doesn't like the offer, why he can get a full refund! Everything here is on the up and up!

They even opened a new thread for questions regarding cloud mining support!

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/the-monarch-discussion/8855-cloud-mining-support.html

And good ol' Josh has been posting on the forums! You can see all his posts here:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/members/bfl_josh.html

Josh also seems quite confident

non-existent eh?

So apparently the mining pool is up and running? Well I guess it doesn't matter anyway because surely this will all be resolved next week and everything will return to normal!
a true captain of industry goes down with his ship

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

neonbregna posted:

What Is Value, Anyway?
Goblin Banker:

im the antisemitism,

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

bucketmouse posted:

weird fact: a bunch of people who are vocal in the 3d graphics programming community are obsessed with vhs and perfectly replicating the distortion from bad tapes. at least one guy actually emulated the spec in software to the point where it actually simulates things like the tape folding over itself, being creased/dirty etc. vhs is the new vinyl

proclick as hell

i wonder if i can make money by running tapes back and forth on my s-vhs decks until they're properly degraded

edit: i bet the time base correctors would gently caress it up by repairing it wrong or something

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 27, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

the annoying thing is he promised to do it with other video standards and other tape recording speeds (and one case that would involve round robin conversion between video standards during generations using an outside video format convertor) and still hasn't gotten around to it

i have betacam. i will do it. and maybe betamax too but I only have one betamax vcr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

i want to say there was some game that did that but it was the film melting a la grindhouse

when i worked at a video store, a guy complained that the Grindhouse disc we rented him had a scratch. we watched through it and couldn't find anything where he said the scratch was, and it was playing perfectly, and he got all mad and argued a lot and then got his ex-wife on the phone and handed it to me (??) (she apologized for his behavior)

after he left we figured out he was talking about around 28:00 where tarantino has a "film coming off the projector" effect

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

not like that, secam and ntsc

though generation loss between betamax -> vhs -> betacam -> betamax loops could be cool too

betacam stores the chroma information in a weird way (frame-by-frame ctdm, with luma and chroma alternating on the tape, and then alternating through the components for each line) so it might be p interesting

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

does it make your clothes squeaky clean?

[in borax voice] Twenty Mule Team will make your clothes look and smell pretty nice!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

"faucets" are the dumbest thing but i wish i'd taken advantage of one i found in like 2010 that gave out 0.1 bitcoin each day

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lol http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2hm3f5/paypal_now_lets_shops_accept_bitcoin/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i just use mactype o nwindows, hth op

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

surebet posted:

god drat just go read the thread it's amazing

fractional reserve banking was a plot point in mary poppins lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Powershift posted:

That dude what bought the DOJ coins is going all over the news saying bitcoin is on it's way to $10,000. Seems like he just realize he's the one holding the bag, and is really searching for new bagholders.

He's only down $13,000,000 on his $30,000,000 investment, dude should cut and run before he really looks like an rear end in a top hat.

he should dump em all at once and see what happens

e: f b

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

don't we have sanctions against north korea

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

1) which reactionary right-wing member of the US house of representatives should be contacted with constituent concerns that a kansas-based company was shopping advanced specially-designed crypto-breaking computers to north korea

:nsallears:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

anthonypants posted:

it should be flipped so it's in the same direction as the quoted post/eyepop but it's too late for that now :sigh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

surebet posted:

All we need now is for merchants to offer 5% discount when paying with bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago * by franticzoe
Seriously, no other marketing is needed. People will crawl over broken glass to save 5%, not merely to save money, but to look like shrewd savvy operators to their friends. Bitcoin's relative obscurity will play in its favor for this kind of campaign. It will look like this one secret hack that will put you at an advantage over the rest of the suckers, who buy at retail price.
God knows the merchants should be able to afford it. Not only in immediate savings on fees and chargebacks, but even more so from the compounded savings a longer term shift to bitcoin will accrue. We all know that once someone goes bitcoin, there is no going back.
So come on big merchants, we are so close. Just run a pilot with 5% savings and watch this thing blow up all over the place!

i'm The Merchants losing profit with no incentive except satisfying nerd libertarian fantasies

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

And with this "company takeover" i had enough and will stop buying products having any
US relation or involvement going forward.
Canceled my order of my New Tesla model S, and will order me a BMW i8 instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTNKiTrX0Vk

also lol the guy thinks the FTC is another corporation that's just doing takeovers and loving things up for no reason in particular

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sweevo posted:

where is the berth certificate

something something berth certificate maritime law

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

vOv posted:

haha cool list of dog-related subreddits. not sure why you included a void my eyes refuse to process in the center tho

i think it's a CSS bug :shrug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Hammerite posted:

same but the void is the entirety of reddit

well not all of it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

the best way is for bitcoin to become entangled with reddit stock and bring reddit down with it.

like someone throwing bolas at a bull and somehow it wraps around their legs and they fall over

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bloody posted:

peak antipos

a forum exists somewhere that is the opposite of us. we must find it and mutually annihilate

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

theory: bitcoin is falling because satoshi decided to stop hodling all his secret margin coins

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

trucutru posted:

Nah, Satoshi's wallets are being monitored 24/7 by lots of spergs. You're more likely to be able to edit the wikipedia article on Neon Genesis Evangelion without anybody noticing than Satoshi sneaking some coins.

they don't even know who satoshi is. they probably are accidentally monitoring Dorian Nakamoto's wallets instead

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i wasted too much time on this

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

FINALLY proof of bitcoin's market cat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i think i accidentally used one of the winklevoss twins twice, but who can tell

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

And the people at Buttcoin? Guess what...they are throwing huge parties from all the money they made shorting cryptos.

killhamster, please confirm parties

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

surebet posted:

Anyone can now take a piece of Bitcoin by eating from his wall.

devour the wall

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

that thing is amazing

extremely not safe for work but well worth a watch

:nws: http://vimeo.com/86014703 :nws:

imagine being the dude who has to handcraft dozens of prosthetic exploding dicks

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Pumpy Dumper posted:

at least you're a person

this guy here claims he was never born!

quote:

After Noone argued the same points as part of his defense, Sears tried to catch Noone admitting he was a person by asking him his birth date, his last name and his address. Noone said none of the questions applied to him.

“My mom never gave birth to me,” Noone said.

Ah, the Macbeth defense.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

do you guys want to curse us all????

you are posting here, yet you think you are not already cursed?

duTrieux. posted:

wht about draculas

draculas, frankensteins, cronenbergs, we've got 'em all

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

trucutru posted:

Look, as a follower of a 1859 numerical system, being able to use bongs instead of filthy thousands would make all the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVOZeT2W6Bo

• Locked thread