Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Billy Young, played by Roy Scheider, was the veteran outfielder who turns his season around and leads the Tigers to the playoffs after being inspired by the main character in the made-for-TV movie Tiger Town. Need that veteran presence off the bench.

Mel Clark, played by Tony Danza in the Angels in the Outfield remake, puts the team on his shoulders by throwing over 159 pitches to get the Angels into the playoffs after the heavenly angels can no longer help them.

I don't know about Sidd Finch. He's fictional but was just invented for a story as a prank.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thinking about Rookie of the Year, wasn't there a classic film where a kid gets a contract to pitch and then he loses his gift for some reason but the closing scene shows him punting a football an impossible distance (I'm just mentioning the football reference for context)? Maybe I have the plot wrong but it's something like this and I can't think of the title.

I would personally take Nuke over Crash from Bull Durham. Nuke being called up for a pennant drive suggests he has upside as a great closer or future middle rotation pitcher. (In reality, it's just the writers taking advantage of people having no idea how the minors work but :shrug:). You could use John C. Reily's character from For the Love of the Game as the backup catcher. I don't remember which side he hit from or anything. Just a suggestion.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 7, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Has anybody seen How Do You Know? Is there any actually sports in it? They mention in the synopsis that Owen Wilson is a pitcher for the Nationals and Witherspoon is a former softball player but there's no position.

Additionally, there's no one from Bad News Bears but, if you're really going for best baseball player, I doubt any kids without celestial aid or freak accidents belong.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 7, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If you want to go with a 5 man rotation, you could fill it out with Henry Wiggen from Bang the Drum Slowly (et all) who was supposed to be a star pitcher.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

If we're considering "before they got old/injured," I'm nominating Tony Micelli for 2B.

Double Tony Dazas would be awesome.

• Locked thread