Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

Biafraid posted:

This gif rules cause if you show it to someone not in the know it's almost indistinguishable from pro wrestling

Was that scarfhold just a straight up neck crank or was it a choke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If you had asked me to bet on something for this MEtamoris I would have put an enormous amount of money on that match going to a draw.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I guess Lister should have worked his neck out a bit more, huh!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

If you had asked me to bet on something for this MEtamoris I would have put an enormous amount of money on that match going to a draw.

Well it very nearly did. You might have more insight on whether Josh was setting that up minutes before he went for it, but after Josh didn't get the kimura from the same position I figure he was going to ride it out and Lister may have eased up after that too.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Neeber posted:

Was that scarfhold just a straight up neck crank or was it a choke?

It looked like he got the compression choke out of it. If you roll the head in and adjust your weight properly you can make it impossible for the person on the bottom to breathe in. Feels like you're drowning if someone gets it right.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Moral victory for Chael because he didn't get triangled.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Is the replay stream gonna stay at the original price of 30 bucks or do they offer cheaper options after the live event is over?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Didn't Oleksiy Oliynyk win a UFC fight a couple months ago with something similar to what Barnett used?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

Didn't Oleksiy Oliynyk win a UFC fight a couple months ago with something similar to what Barnett used?

Yes, they all thought it was a neck crank.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

Yes, and prior to that he had used the same move to submit Cro Cop, though I think his variation was a body lock instead of a head lock.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ugh it's gonna be a bad week at the gym to be a little dude

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Lost For Words posted:

ugh it's gonna be a bad week at the gym to be a little dude

As a 230lb'er who has been working on perfecting his top pressure this week is gonna be fun

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

ch3cooh posted:

Marc Coleman finishing Dan Severn with it too.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I've enjoyed both Metamoris shows I've watched now, I just had a few random, non-connected thoughts. Firstly, I really like the way they've branded their product differently from other organizations, I like the entrances, movie guy voice announcer, and the drummers (the drummers have created strong divisions amongst viewers but I think they rule.)

One of the things I wonder about is if they can keep up the steam. Part of the attraction to me is the MMA names they bring in and I can only assume they cost more money. Obviously watching the cards has made me more aware of BJJ guys like Keenan, but I think they need non-bjj only guys or bjj legends to keep putting on cards that create a good buzz.

What was the deal with the "heavyweight title". They didn't really say anything about it after Barnett won and nothing was presented. I guess they just figured Lister would win or draw? Either way I'd really like to see Josh back there again.

Lastly, I still think the 30 dollar price point is a bit steep for these cards. I know they've gone out and gotten top guys and upped the production, but I think it's still a very very niche market. Them joining fightpass would be ideal.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
The plan is that Barnett will defend the heavyweight title against Marcus "Buchecha" Almeida who is pretty much the best BJJ guy in the world right now.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

One of the things I wonder about is if they can keep up the steam. Part of the attraction to me is the MMA names they bring in and I can only assume they cost more money.

I don't know if this is true of all competitors, but for at least some of them they don't get paid if there's a draw; only if there's a finish.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I don't know if this is true of all competitors, but for at least some of them they don't get paid if there's a draw; only if there's a finish.

Was that the case for Tonon/Dale? If so, was transportation and accommodation covered?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

fatherdog posted:

Yea I figured the pay would be significantly lower given the relatively less dangerous nature of the sport, but I assume guys like Vinny, Josh, and Chael all got paid win lose or draw. Sidenote, Vinny looked really drat good and I'd like to see him again as well. He really had Keenan in trouble a couple times in the first 10 minutes.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Yea I figured the pay would be significantly lower given the relatively less dangerous nature of the sport, but I assume guys like Vinny, Josh, and Chael all got paid win lose or draw. Sidenote, Vinny looked really drat good and I'd like to see him again as well. He really had Keenan in trouble a couple times in the first 10 minutes.

People give Vinny poo poo for his mma career but he is a really high level bjj guy.

Edit: Here he is against Werdum not giving a poo poo about human anatomy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk0G3NV9xaA

(Vinny won)

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 12, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MagicCube posted:

Was that the case for Tonon/Dale?

Not my place to say.

quote:

If so, was transportation and accommodation covered?

I can say that everybody got their transportation and hotels paid.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i missed the thing but did barnett roll up in trucks and do the stan hansen

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

So this has sent me on a Vinny binge and since we seem to have people in this thread who don't really follow grappling here's some more cool poo poo.

Vinny taps a Gracie with a banana split in a hotel conference room or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumM2vaAddw

Vinny beats Chris Weidman (yes, that Chris Weidman) with a flying armbar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDZSCnkGrAQ

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Dangersim posted:

So this has sent me on a Vinny binge and since we seem to have people in this thread who don't really follow grappling here's some more cool poo poo.

Vinny taps a Gracie with a banana split in a hotel conference room or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumM2vaAddw

Vinny beats Chris Weidman (yes, that Chris Weidman) with a flying armbar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDZSCnkGrAQ

Vinny's match before the Daniel match was actually him tapping Buchecha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyT2S6Ft57w

The fact that Keenan fared that much better from 50/50 against Vinny than Buchecha was what impressed me the most about his performance.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sprecherscrow posted:

Vinny's match before the Daniel match was actually him tapping Buchecha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyT2S6Ft57w

The fact that Keenan fared that much better from 50/50 against Vinny than Buchecha was what impressed me the most about his performance.

So what you're saying is Barnett will tap Buchecha no problem?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That compression thing is murderous if you're already tired. It locks your diagram and you can't inhale or exhale.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

That compression thing is murderous if you're already tired. It locks your diagram and you can't inhale or exhale.

I've given up my neck in a bad body triangle because I didn't want to look like a pussy and tap to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I've given up my neck in a bad body triangle because I didn't want to look like a pussy and tap to it.

Same principle as giving up your arm or collar under knee-on-belly.

• Locked thread