Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spacewolf posted:

I did not make a typo. Granted, I may be freaking out too soon, but...Yeah. Gap of Doom is staring back at me from my resume.

When I was a fresh grad with a worthless seeming degree, I never got any callbacks either. Just throwing paper into a void. For a young person, a gap is easy to explain and you wouldn't likely be asked too much about it in an interview if you have obvious disabilities. No practical experience is probably what's stopping you from getting callbacks, but a lot of entry level office work really only requires some basic organization, prioritization, and technology skills. If you can convey that you have these abilities through your resume, plus emphasize the education, you can probably get an interview. Once you start getting interviews, you start getting better at interviews. Eventually you get good enough at them or you get lucky and you find a job!

Definitely don't give up though. Read these things.

http://cew.georgetown.edu/unemployment2013/
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/04/business/college-graduates-fare-well-in-jobs-market-even-through-recession.html?pagewanted=all
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/05/08/unemployment_and_the_class_of_2014_how_bad_is_the_job_market_for_new_college.html

Recent college graduates across the board have high unemployment rates. Higher than your average high-school-diploma-only worker. Many recent graduates have to get lovely retail jobs or work in unrelated fields to support themselves until they get the hang of the whole job hunt thing, which is a skill of its own. You can potentially even skip this with the SSI income, although a lot of those customer service type jobs provide you with situations you can talk about in interviews and use to get jobs.

I ended up working at Wal-Mart during college, and continued working there for some years after college until I could use that experience to get a job as a teacher. Yes, years. This is the long game now, man. It's not do a 4 (or 6, like me) year stint and collect an achievement, but more start looking at the whole range of options available to you and deciding where to focus. Look at where you want to be in 10-15 years. How can you get there? Work at home (see Legitimate Online Moneymaking thread in this very forum) for a while just to get a real income going. Once you have money of your own that you earned, you may find your depression lifts, even if you're still lacking social interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread