Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Although I'm certainly not qualified to comment on how your clinical depression is playing into this, what I can tell you is that, when it comes to throwing resumes into the online void and hoping something sticks, you're not alone. Recruiters really don't even bother reading those. A thousand people - qualified and not - can submit to any and every posting that crops up on careerbuilder/monster/whatever. You'd think that this type of open access would create a perfect meritocracy, but it's the exact opposite. It has never been harder to actually get noticed, considered, and contacted for jobs than it is today.

So if right now your job search only entails a few click submissions per day, followed by zero feedback or positive reinforcement, then you're bound to get dejected, frustrated, and passive. You need a different strategy, both for your mental well-being and for your odds of success here. What I haven't heard you talk about yet, is what you're doing about networking.

You've graduated from two colleges. Go to their websites, look for an alumni database, and start reaching out to them. You're also a member of a minority disabled population. Are there foundations or other organizations of people you could reach out to who are there specifically to help people in your circumstances? What does the National Association of Blind Lawyers have to offer you?

The point is, you need to get in touch with these people. Look for people who work in the field you want to, or work in the area. Send polite emails introucing yourself as an alumni and an aspiring career builder, who wants to learn about their experiences. 50% will never get back to you. 30% will tell you that they don't have time to speak with you. 15% will speak with you but won't really be interested in helping. But the last 5%? Those are the people who for whatever reason (school pride, general inclination towards help and supportiveness, whatever) will pull for you. They'll put your resume in front of the right person, and get you on the phone with the right person. Some of these conversations will result in interviews. And as soon as one interview results in a job, you win.

You're just not playing the right game yet. Of course it feels like you're losing.

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread