Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, etc etc...

So this has been bothering me for a while and I figured I may as well make a thread about it. I'm 25 years old and all my friends are either getting married, moving away, or both. Unlike my friends who love big cities, I love the area I live in and would eventually like to move to one of the surrounding towns. The city I live in is one of the most dangerous places to live in in the US, but most of the towns within an hour radius of here are more rural and very nice. Everyone is moving to Boston or California but I hate Boston with a passion. I want a nice house with some land behind it where I can ride around on an ATV all weekend.

The other thing that bothers me is that I have a hard time meeting new women in my day to day life. I'm a construction worker so unless I'm on a huge job there is generally zero to 2 girls working around me. Even if I'm doing work at an existing building like a hospital or a college you aren't really allowed to flirt and talk to employees. My hobbies are also probably some of the least likely hobbies to meet single females at. I love cars and everything to do with them. I love the souped up go-kart track here. I like collecting coins, silver, gold, and I am about to start getting into gold prospecting.

I know you guys will probably say to make an effort to join some other kind of activity but a) I'm having trouble coming up with ideas, and b) I have zero energy left after work. I bust my rear end at work. It's a physically demanding job, and I'm still an apprentice, so I also have to do all the hard dirty jobs and unload and move materials all day. Today alone I had to carry 2 50lb boxes up 5 flights of stairs 10 times in a building with no A/C. And that was just the first 30 minutes of my day. By the time I get home I am so wiped out, I usually fall asleep in my recliner eating dinner. I get 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night so I'm not sleep deprived either.

I go out on the weekend, usually to the bar, but I'm over the "picking up women at the bar for one night stands" phase of my life. I've never had trouble with that, given that I actually felt like trying. I've met some really fun and interesting girls this way, but they never expressed interest in anything more serious.

My roommates all suggested online dating as they have all had success with it, but I have had zero luck. I must have read and messaged over 50 profiles within the past year and had maybe 2 or 3 girls reply with short one word sentences, even though I most likely asked them something about their profile or shared a common interest. I'm pretty average looking and overweight (5'11 210lbs), but I'm not goony and this has never been an issue when I was going to college or trying to pick up girls for the night. Maybe OKC is just flooded with dudes in my area so the girls on there have a bigger pool to pick from? I dunno.

I just think I'm getting to the point where I am ready to settle down and I'm having zero luck finding new people besides the bar. I've always liked kids and I like to babysit my baby cousins. When I get home from work, the little kids next door hear my car coming and run outside to say hi and tell me about their day. I get a feeling in my stomach that is almost like it's telling me it's time for me to have a kid of my own. It's hard to explain. I'm getting super anxious all the time thinking about two of my roommates (and close friends) moving away in a few months and having to find new roommates, as well as having less people to hang out with on the weekend.

So yeah, that's my deal. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

Have you tried looking for activities on meetup.com in your area? At the least there's probably something like hiking near you. Maybe look up volunteer opportunities you can do a few times a month. Lots of wildlife parks and shelters need handy men and women flock to these kinds of places. Maybe there's a sports league you can get in on like kickball. I get where you're coming from with your male centric hobbies but you need to add something that has you meeting more women or other people in general. What about dancing? Salsa or something.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I spend 40hrs a week drenched in sweat at work from my boxers to my shirt, so I loathe doing sweaty activities like hiking on the weekend. I do like going to the gorge 45 min from here and sitting on a boulder in the middle of the water for hours though. I've been thinking about buying a fishing pole too. I do like the idea of doing some work at the big park here, but doing any side work and not getting paid for it doesn't compute to me. If I wanted to do work after work I could just work OT or do a side job with a buddy who does custom brick patios. Time is money afterall.

I'm not really into any sports to be honest. Not unless it involves an engine anyways. Dancing is lame. I wish I lived in one of the surrounding towns so I could use the community gardens. I always saw tons of chicks out there when I was doing landscaping on the side.

I'm grabbing my broke rear end mountain bike from my parents' house this weekend. My old roommate (long time friend, lives a street over) and his fiance just got bikes so I'm gonna fix mine and ride with them. I wish I could get a dog and take him to the dog park, but we can't have pets here. My roommate knows the owner so we get a great deal on rent, and honestly I don't think I could afford to live anywhere else.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So this has been bothering me for a while and I figured I may as well make a thread about it. I'm 25 years old and all my friends are either getting married, moving away, or both. Unlike my friends who love big cities, I love the area I live in and would eventually like to move to one of the surrounding towns. The city I live in is one of the most dangerous places to live in in the US, but most of the towns within an hour radius of here are more rural and very nice. Everyone is moving to Boston or California but I hate Boston with a passion. I want a nice house with some land behind it where I can ride around on an ATV all weekend.

The other thing that bothers me is that I have a hard time meeting new women in my day to day life. I'm a construction worker so unless I'm on a huge job there is generally zero to 2 girls working around me. Even if I'm doing work at an existing building like a hospital or a college you aren't really allowed to flirt and talk to employees. My hobbies are also probably some of the least likely hobbies to meet single females at. I love cars and everything to do with them. I love the souped up go-kart track here. I like collecting coins, silver, gold, and I am about to start getting into gold prospecting.

I know you guys will probably say to make an effort to join some other kind of activity but a) I'm having trouble coming up with ideas, and b) I have zero energy left after work. I bust my rear end at work. It's a physically demanding job, and I'm still an apprentice, so I also have to do all the hard dirty jobs and unload and move materials all day. Today alone I had to carry 2 50lb boxes up 5 flights of stairs 10 times in a building with no A/C. And that was just the first 30 minutes of my day. By the time I get home I am so wiped out, I usually fall asleep in my recliner eating dinner. I get 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night so I'm not sleep deprived either.

I go out on the weekend, usually to the bar, but I'm over the "picking up women at the bar for one night stands" phase of my life. I've never had trouble with that, given that I actually felt like trying. I've met some really fun and interesting girls this way, but they never expressed interest in anything more serious.

My roommates all suggested online dating as they have all had success with it, but I have had zero luck. I must have read and messaged over 50 profiles within the past year and had maybe 2 or 3 girls reply with short one word sentences, even though I most likely asked them something about their profile or shared a common interest. I'm pretty average looking and overweight (5'11 210lbs), but I'm not goony and this has never been an issue when I was going to college or trying to pick up girls for the night. Maybe OKC is just flooded with dudes in my area so the girls on there have a bigger pool to pick from? I dunno.

I just think I'm getting to the point where I am ready to settle down and I'm having zero luck finding new people besides the bar. I've always liked kids and I like to babysit my baby cousins. When I get home from work, the little kids next door hear my car coming and run outside to say hi and tell me about their day. I get a feeling in my stomach that is almost like it's telling me it's time for me to have a kid of my own. It's hard to explain. I'm getting super anxious all the time thinking about two of my roommates (and close friends) moving away in a few months and having to find new roommates, as well as having less people to hang out with on the weekend.

So yeah, that's my deal. What do you guys think?

I think you might be gay, OP. Try sucking a dick. It will change your life.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

Well the point of volunteering was to meet women who might share interests or abilities similar to your own.

Honestly I doubt you'll find any women sitting on a boulder lol. If there's water near you maybe check out one of the kayaking or canoeing groups. There are more women mountain biking these days though. Maybe you could join one of the local organizations that maintains trails in your area or goes on trips together.

I wouldn't dismiss dancing. Women love it and it's easier to pick up than you'd think. Good skill to have either way. Lots of 'cities' have cheap weekend classes.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I've been thinking about getting a lovely weekend job. My friends that still work at grocery stores or resteraunts are always meeting tons of new people.

I'm doing a small renovation at work and there is a cute landscaper there. I always make small chat with her but I would hate to get fired for asking her out. Outside of work I have no qualms about asking them to dinner or whatever. A couple years ago I met a girl who was working at the tire shop I was getting an alignment at. Asked for her number and went out to dinner. She was all set to move 18hrs away the next month.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I wish I could get a dog and take him to the dog park, but we can't have pets here.

That's a shame. The dog world is very, very lady-centric, and at least a portion of them are well adjusted and cool -- they'd jump at a chance to share their hobby with a guy.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I love dogs. I have my childhood dog tattooed on my leg. Eventually I either wanna get another lab or a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I can't really stand those little rat dogs though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

50 profiles in a year is a really, really low figure. Online dating is a numbers game.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I love dogs. I have my childhood dog tattooed on my leg. Eventually I either wanna get another lab or a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I can't really stand those little rat dogs though.

gently caress yea! Rat dogs suck. Get another lab! Labs are awesome.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

50 profiles in a year is a really, really low figure. Online dating is a numbers game.

Really? I hop on like once or twice a week to check on any new people in the area. It's probably the same 100 people within 25 miles of me who I'm either not interested in or they never replied to me. Like I said, I'm not interested in hookups anymore, so I'm not gonna go out of my way to message someone I don't find interesting or am attracted to.

Edit: The only reason I'm even awake right now is because I slammed a Monster drink when I got home from work. I was gonna go to trivia night at the bar with my friend and his fiance but they decided not to go.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at Aug 7, 2014 around 23:08

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If you're renting my experience is it's easier to convince owners to let you have smaller dogs. I'm not saying you should get a yippy little poo poo but consider jack russels or rat terriers, or smaller herding dogs like corgis or mini aussies, there are badass small dogs out there that you might could get away with for now.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

fear itself

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've been thinking about getting a lovely weekend job. My friends that still work at grocery stores or resteraunts are always meeting tons of new people.

I'm doing a small renovation at work and there is a cute landscaper there. I always make small chat with her but I would hate to get fired for asking her out. Outside of work I have no qualms about asking them to dinner or whatever. A couple years ago I met a girl who was working at the tire shop I was getting an alignment at. Asked for her number and went out to dinner. She was all set to move 18hrs away the next month.

I think you have stockholm syndrome because the core issue is that you work too hard and your solution is to work more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[A]sk me about OS/2 WARP

Your Okcupid or whatever is barren because you live in a small town shithole that you are viewing through rose colored glasses. I did it for 25 years.

Move to the city. I'm fuckin' happily married and will never stray, and even I am just astounded at the number of sexy rear end hot intelligent people in Denver. I imagine any coastal city is going to be even higher on dimes per square mile.

If you don't move to the city, you need to do what 98% of other heterosexuals do in the backwaters, which is settle for somebody that you at least don't want to murder and cloyingly spin them as the love of your life.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I'm laid off from work a lot (nature of the construction industry) so when I am working I take all I can get. I can't move outside of my area code for a little over a year because of apprenticeship contracts I signed for work. I also have a chance to go back to school for 5 years for free if I stay here. There is one town 45 minutes from here that I love. Huge college town with lots of music going on every weekend and a great bar scene. It's very expensive though. Rent would be about 3x as high there, added to the fact that I'd have no one I know to hit the town with.

Ironically, I have a thing for hispanic girls and my city of ~200k is about 38% hispanic. It's actually right up my alley. I'm very family oriented so I can't see myself moving far away. Especially when 95% of my family is here. I'd consider moving to NC where 3 of my friends moved to 4 years ago, but they don't even live near each other anymore.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Synonamess Botch posted:

If you're renting my experience is it's easier to convince owners to let you have smaller dogs. I'm not saying you should get a yippy little poo poo but consider jack russels or rat terriers, or smaller herding dogs like corgis or mini aussies, there are badass small dogs out there that you might could get away with for now.

... Rat terriers and Jack Russell's are yippy little shits. I have a rat terrier right now who is absolutely insane. Corgi, pug, wiener dogs, Maltese are prob good choices.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

You could always adopt a child if you're not allowed to have dogs.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Can a single male even adopt a kid? That will probably be an option if I'm still in the same boat a decade from now.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Pretty difficult and you better be making bank.

Don't know what to tell you OP, you work a shiton in an almost exclusively male industry, choose to live in an area where there are no young people (so online dating isn't going to work), don't want to do any hobbies women like, and are 5 pounds from clinical obesity. If you don't want to change any of that I'm not sure what else there is to say, young people live in cities where things are actually happening instead of a town where the best thing is 'has a couple good bars.'

Sounds like you don't even have any/many guy friends so I'd probably work on rebuilding up a friend network and then perhaps you can meet people through them.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

To attract hispanic women, nothing works better than opening up a churro stand. "El Gringo's Churros" would be a great name, or "Nibblemechurro"

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Young, interesting and attractive people move to cities because that's where all the other young, interesting and attractive people are.

If you want to continue your comfortable life in your comfortable town then good for you, just expect to be lonely.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

how are you overweight if your job is as physically demanding as you say it is?

also ridgebacks rule, i have one and he's a champ.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Move to New York. Install tinder.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Robbie Fowler posted:

how are you overweight if your job is as physically demanding as you say it is?

also ridgebacks rule, i have one and he's a champ.

Losing weight is mostly a function of how you eat.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

spunkshui posted:

Losing weight is mostly a function of how you eat.

To a degree yes, but if a job is physically demanding and he's hydrating properly, he should have a net loss for kj's unless he's eating fast food for lunch and dinner.

i used to work on a mine site for 12 hours doing similar stuff and I lost about 15 pounds by just eating normally and working ... maybe you're right and he's not eating normally but poo poo he's only got himself to blame there.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

He said he's only working a 40 hour week, I mean that's not extreme or anything even for physical work.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

[ASK] ME ABOUT BEING
A BIG, FAT BLOB.

Fatty fatty bum bum, that's me!

A peasant living in a peasant town is having a hard time finding not peasant womens. How could this happen?!

OP you could always buy women from Ukraine, pretty sure a lot of hot girls want out of there right now.

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific

tsa posted:

Don't know what to tell you OP, you work a shiton in an almost exclusively male industry, choose to live in an area where there are no young people (so online dating isn't going to work), don't want to do any hobbies women like, and are 5 pounds from clinical obesity. If you don't want to change any of that I'm not sure what else there is to say, young people live in cities where things are actually happening instead of a town where the best thing is 'has a couple good bars.'

Sounds like you don't even have any/many guy friends so I'd probably work on rebuilding up a friend network and then perhaps you can meet people through them.

This for real. If finding a wife is a priority for you, then you actually have to treat it like one.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by XyloJW

Can you just look girls up on facebook? I know a girl who did that with guys, though i'm not sure if a man could pull it off.

WHAT A GOOD DOG
Dec 20, 2012

THAT'S A GOOD DOG

Well, you will not meet girls at home.

You will not meet girls at work.

If you are only at work or at home, you will not meet girls.

So you have to change. You can get a different job, or don't just go home or go to work. You can also become closer friends with your co-workers and meet a girl at a barbecue as is the American tradition.

Just do something, you can't possibly only work. What hobbies do you have outside of work/tv/dinner. If you don't like having to prepare your own dinner do what I do and make dinner for the coming week on the weekend and have leftovers so you can do more poo poo.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm laid off from work a lot (nature of the construction industry) so when I am working I take all I can get. I can't move outside of my area code for a little over a year because of apprenticeship contracts I signed for work. I also have a chance to go back to school for 5 years for free if I stay here. There is one town 45 minutes from here that I love. Huge college town with lots of music going on every weekend and a great bar scene. It's very expensive though. Rent would be about 3x as high there, added to the fact that I'd have no one I know to hit the town with.

Ironically, I have a thing for hispanic girls and my city of ~200k is about 38% hispanic. It's actually right up my alley. I'm very family oriented so I can't see myself moving far away. Especially when 95% of my family is here. I'd consider moving to NC where 3 of my friends moved to 4 years ago, but they don't even live near each other anymore.

Ask your family to introduce you to people. Expand your friend group. Invite your cousin to trivia night with that engaged couple, maybe he brings a friend, maybe that friend has a sister, maybe she's throwing a party next weekend.

Take spanish classes, being bilingual will be good for your job prospects and you might find a tutor who can introduce you to some cute single girls.

Find a way to meet teachers. They are stuck in their small community and have a hard time meeting available guys. Look into Communities in Schools. Volunteer teaching kids shop or something, see what's available.

Most girls who stay in small towns are already married by their mid-twenties, or divorced. Are you casting a wide net? Maybe go for women closer to 30, they are likely to be ready to settle down.

Maybe expand your metal interest to jewelry. Learn about vintage jewelry, go to shows. You might save an awesome piece from being melted for scrap and even if you don't meet any girl through it, you have more to talk about with them.

Try a paid dating site like match, you are more likely to find adults ready to settle down.

Learn to play guitar, sing songs at an open mic night. You will meet lots of cool people who can introduce you to cool girls. Hell, just attend an open mic night regularly and meet all the girls the musicians know.

Start going to church, get involved. Start or attend a T&T (20s and 30s) club for the unmarried members. Volunteer. Meet religious girls.

PopRocks fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2014 around 08:12

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

All my friends are teachers. And it's super annoying. Two of my roommates, my neighbor and a couple more of my buddies are all teachers and it's all they talk about. And aside from their girlfriends, I've yet to meet any girls they work with thatare even attractive. We had a party a few months ago and my roommate's GF brought two girls from work over. Both of which had a 100lbs on me. Not joking.

And I only work 40hrs a week so it's not exactly slave work. I also get paid very well. I have an over-eating problem which contributes to my weight problem. If I cook up a small pizza from the grocery store, I have a hard time not eating that last piece. Even if I'm totally full. It's like a compulsion. I do work out everyday when I'm laid off though. It definitely helps me not pack on the pounds. I've basically been the same weight for the past 6 years now.

I also don't live in the boonies like you guys think. I live in the 3rd biggest city here. It nay not be huge but it has about 200,000 people. We also have a bunch of colleges here, so during the school year the weekend scene is popping. But again, college aged girls from out of state aren't really ideal long-term relationship material for me.

Not a big fan of playing music. I grew outta that jam band scene after high school. I'm also an athiest so there's no way I'd set foot in a church unless it was for a wedding.

I honestly might have to drop some bucks on a dating website. I'll consider it. I hang out with my cousins often but my female cousins are all under 21 and I don't really think you can establish a serious relationship with a 19 year old leaving for college in a few weeks.

Excuse the typos. I'm on my phone and haven't had a coffee yet.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2014 around 10:41

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Worship the ever turning wheel of Fortuna

This thread seems to appear every month.

1: Work on your appearance. It's a slow, subtle thing, but you'll feel better on top of looking better, and people (sometimes even attractive women!) pick up on that and will naturally gravitate toward you more. Working out is half the equation, and you seem to have that down -- now work on eating less. Start logging your meals on myfitnesspal, I bet you'll be shocked at how much you're taking in.

2: Join a new social group. Even if you think it's full of dorks or meatheads or youngins or airheads or something. Find an activity you enjoy, and engage in it with other people. This is how 90% of people in their 20s make new friends when they start somewhere new. The more friends you make, the more likely it is you'll run into someone you're compatible with.

3: Don't be discouraged by low returns on dating sites, you definitely have to play the numbers. Try to message at least 3 people a day; I'm hardly a looker, and that got me more dates than I could handle after a couple of weeks of effort.

As a last resort, stop being so picky and stressed and maybe slam some whale. Live well, and everything will come in time.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 3, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

tsa posted:

He's not obese. He's construction fat. There's a big difference between being a construction worker with a beer gut, and being an office worker who eat doritios all day. He can probably do like 50-push-ups. Like, yeah, he could probably stand to lose some weight, but if he's lugging 100 pounds up five flights of stairs 20 times a day, he's not exactly going to be a jellyroll. This is def not what is stopping him from getting a girlfriend.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

All my friends are teachers. And it's super annoying. Two of my roommates, my neighbor and a couple more of my buddies are all teachers and it's all they talk about. And aside from their girlfriends, I've yet to meet any girls they work with thatare even attractive. We had a party a few months ago and my roommate's GF brought two girls from work over. Both of which had a 100lbs on me. Not joking.

And I only work 40hrs a week so it's not exactly slave work. I also get paid very well. I have an over-eating problem which contributes to my weight problem. If I cook up a small pizza from the grocery store, I have a hard time not eating that last piece. Even if I'm totally full. It's like a compulsion. I do work out everyday when I'm laid off though. It definitely helps me not pack on the pounds. I've basically been the same weight for the past 6 years now.

I also don't live in the boonies like you guys think. I live in the 3rd biggest city here. It nay not be huge but it has about 200,000 people. We also have a bunch of colleges here, so during the school year the weekend scene is popping. But again, college aged girls from out of state aren't really ideal long-term relationship material for me.

Not a big fan of playing music. I grew outta that jam band scene after high school. I'm also an athiest so there's no way I'd set foot in a church unless it was for a wedding.

I honestly might have to drop some bucks on a dating website. I'll consider it. I hang out with my cousins often but my female cousins are all under 21 and I don't really think you can establish a serious relationship with a 19 year old leaving for college in a few weeks.

Excuse the typos. I'm on my phone and haven't had a coffee yet.

You are getting some terrible, terrible advice in this thread, man. Asking SA for dating advice is like going into church and asking the minister how to score some cocaine. Like people here are talking like every person in a city with less than a half-million people are desperately lonely with no direction in life.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2014 around 12:22

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 3, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Man, it's like this, I can give you advice on how to get laid, but I don't think you're looking for that and the fact of the matter is, changing a bunch of superficial things and taking up so hobbies you aren't really interested in is not a magical formula to meet the girl you're going to marry. I also work in construction in a city half the size of yours, and I would say I know at least 300 guys who have beer guts who are really into cars or hockey or atvs or whatever, that work over 50 hours a week and have wives and kids or whatever. I can guarantee you that they're not into salvaging custom jewelery. I can't tell you specifically what's going wrong for you, I don't know you, but I can tell you that from what you posted you sound like a normal guy I would see on a construction site, and you don't sound like one of the sad brains social rejects that usually post these threads, so you have that going for you at least. I dunno, put yourself out there more? Maybe try a different dating site? It's a job to say. There's no magic bullet. If there was we wouldn't have lonely people.

I can tell you one thing, you are a big strong hairy assed man, and that's the kind of guy a lot of women want to start a family with. Not all women, but a lot. A big construction worker who is good with kids and knows how to fix the car.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2014 around 12:43

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I also work in construction in a city half the size of yours, and I would say I know at least 300 guys who have beer guts who are really into cars or hockey or atvs or whatever, that work over 50 hours a week and have wives and kids or whatever.

My guess is that his standards are either too high or just weirdly specific. Those small town dudes with beer guts you know might be married, but I'm guessing most of them didn't marry Victoria's Secret models. If you insist on having high standards in terms of attractiveness, or are picky about other stuff (specific interests, ethnicity, etc), you're not helping your cause much by doing stuff that limits the size of your dating pool.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks guys. Slamming whales has never been an issue for me. I'm just over it. All my friends met their wives or GF's while at college or at work so I guess that puts me at a disadvantage. It doesn't help that a lot of the guys I work with met theirs at bars. I'm a pretty normal dude. I'm into fashion so I don't dress like a slob. I get along with mostly every social group I come across. Hell, a dorky kid I went to HS with lives across the street from me and I hang out with him and his Pokemon loving friends from time to time.

I'm not really picky at all. All my girlfriends have been cute chubby white girls so it's not like I'm tryna bag some Beyonce looking dime.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2014 around 13:24

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 3, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

My guess is that his standards are either too high or just weirdly specific. Those small town dudes with beer guts you know might be married, but I'm guessing most of them didn't marry Victoria's Secret models. If you insist on having high standards in terms of attractiveness, or are picky about other stuff (specific interests, ethnicity, etc), you're not helping your cause much by doing stuff that limits the size of your dating pool.

That is very much possible, but the point is being a construction worker in a small city doesn't mean you're setting yourself up for some lonely life with no hope of happiness.

People are literally saying things like this:

quote:

Most girls who stay in small towns are already married by their mid-twenties, or divorced. Are you casting a wide net? Maybe go for women closer to 30, they are likely to be ready to settle down.

quote:

Young, interesting and attractive people move to cities because that's where all the other young, interesting and attractive people are.

If you want to continue your comfortable life in your comfortable town then good for you, just expect to be lonely.

quote:

Move to the city. I'm fuckin' happily married and will never stray, and even I am just astounded at the number of sexy rear end hot intelligent people in Denver. I imagine any coastal city is going to be even higher on dimes per square mile.

They way they're talking you'd think every woman over 20 in a smaller city is over 300 pounds and pregnant. Some people do not like big cities, and plenty of them are intelligent, good-looking people.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2014 around 13:30

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

What goon is this, in drunken bliss, that has all Work Crew weeping?
Whom strippers greet with roast beef meat, while bouncers watch are keeping?

Zack_Gochuck posted:

They way they're talking you'd think every woman over 20 in a smaller city is over 300 pounds and pregnant. Some people do not like big cities, and plenty of them are intelligent, good-looking people.

Not necessarily by 20, but by 25, a large portion of them have had one or more kids for sure. The number goes up the higher the age is, as well as divorce (assuming they were married in the first place).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Last weekend I went to the girl's house I kinda know with my buddy to hang out with her friends. I get there and her friends are 3 18yr olds (even though she is 25) who looked at me like I was a heroin addict when I pulled out some weed.

«10 »