Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
41BottlesOf
Jun 4, 2011
My wife and I went to a large event last week and registered to win a free trip to Vegas/Florida. She got a phone call a few days later saying she won a trip, worth about $4,800, from Dream Vacations Inc. out of Ft. Lauderdale Fl. and their subsidiary, Dream Travel Vacations out of West Palm Beach.The trip was to a choice of 30 different locations, including cruises.

"All you have to do is pay a small registration fee of $398!" (which I later got worked down to $250).

He said the registration fee was to avoid paying the 35% winnings tax on the $4,800 trip and insurance or something.

"Also, you will have to pay for transportation"

Alright fine.

"...and spend 90 minutes in a time-share meeting, then you can tell them to leave you alone and bugger off".

He said the resorts are well aware that younger people like my family don't buy timeshares, and they wouldn't pursue me.

He insisted it wasn't a scam, that people do it all the time, blah blah blah. I wrote down names, addresses, and phone numbers and stuff.

I told them I wanted to take a few days to make sure they were a legit operation. After 30 minutes of arguing on the phone and not getting good reasons why he wouldn't let me call him back in a few days to pay him the registration fee, I hung up.

Has anyone done these timeshare sightseeing trips before?
Is the registration fee a legitimate way of avoiding winnings taxes?
Is this a scam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
It sounds scammy scam scam, though I looked into it a little more and couldn't find anything to disprove this feeling (or prove it). $400 is a lot though.

There's not a single review about them online, despite them supposedly existing since 2011, which is odd for either a scam OR for an actual business. I couldn't find much about its "President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Director" Joseph J. "Mildred" Granino either except that he's quite old (83) and the "president and director" of a ton of companies in that area of Florida, including also "Gran-Do Inc" and "J&T Auto & Tire Center"

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
It's not so much a scam as it is a giant marketing ploy that is in no way a good deal. Those "Win a Cruise!" contests are pretty much just a front for getting your information. There are a large number of "winners" and they try and lure you in to a high pressure sales pitch with the "free" cruise.

Bottom line is that the "prize" is in no way an actual good deal, you should walk away, and never register for random free trip prizes at large events again.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

41BottlesOf posted:

Is this a scam?
Didn't even read, but if you have to ask, then of course it's a scam.

read it now and and this doesn't get any scammier than that.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
1) Do you have to pay an upfront fee?
A: Yes - scam.
A: No - maybe.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

41BottlesOf posted:

Is this a scam?

The trip isn't going to be good value for the money, and they will absolutely subject you to high pressure sales pitch for time shares, which are pretty much a scam.

Don't go.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Saladman posted:

It sounds scammy scam scam, though I looked into it a little more and couldn't find anything to disprove this feeling (or prove it). $400 is a lot though.

There's not a single review about them online, despite them supposedly existing since 2011, which is odd for either a scam OR for an actual business. I couldn't find much about its "President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Director" Joseph J. "Mildred" Granino either except that he's quite old (83) and the "president and director" of a ton of companies in that area of Florida, including also "Gran-Do Inc" and "J&T Auto & Tire Center"

I Googled them and Trip Advisor has a two year old thread about whether they're a scam or not http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12290-k5763617-Dream_Vacation_Club_Scam-Bargain_Travel.html

My feeling is that you shouldn't be paying any money if you win a competition like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If the destination was better, I'd sit through a slimy sales pitch no problem. But Vegas and Florida are both the two cheapest and two shittest US vacation spots ever. Maybe Napa Valley could be worse.

• Locked thread