Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Witters
Jan 14, 2008

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Bubble-T posted:

Boy howdy I can't believe how hard they dumpstered Sona why won't Riot listen to the PBE players :downswords:

It's not that they dumpstered Sona, it's just such a confusing unnecessary rework on so many levels. Pick rate went up slightly, now it's back to normal. Win rate went up. She's going to eat some nerfs next patch probably and be in no better position or playing level of satisfaction, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Bubble-T posted:

I think they achieved their objectives - her spells and auras are less spammy, way clearer and more interactive with your allies. All of that without harming her pick or win rate sounds like a job well done to me.

Also the point is there were many, many people complaining that she was going to be total garbage and that this had been proven by playing her on the PBE, not just 'not in a better position conceptually' or whatever your conclusion is.

Your conclusion seems to be that the most important complaint about the rework was Sona being dumpstered. While it's true it didn't as far as win rate, I'm trying to point out we should be careful about giving proper notice to other more useful negative feedback given about the rework. Just pointing out winrates takes focus away from more important questions, like, who is this rework trying to appeal to? Is she in a better state than before? Is she more satisfying to play? Based on the pick rate going to almost exactly what it was before and a lot of the feedback, the reworked Sona seems in no better place than before, in my opinion, as well as others.

Her playstyle, especially he early aggressive poke, and the dodging game she had to keep up to maintain it, has been tuned down. If anything, she feels even more passive, spammy and and reliant on her ADC to do anything. They somehow made her play even more passively and buff-botty than before. Increasing clarity in her spells could have been done differently. The interactivity with opponents was always there. Again, I think this was at best an unnecessary rework, maintaining the winrate about the same or making it better is impressive, but it's really not the crux of what a rework should accomplish, or what the general negative feedback was about.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

QuinnThereDoneThat
QuinnIce
StruggleWiQuinn
OriginalQuinn
QuinndependenceDay
QuinndomHearts
ObiWanQuinnobi
QuinnJong-un

Valor Quinnmer

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Sometimes you just have crappy days in solo queue.

My first game was with a 4-man premade. I end up playing support. Of course, I'm left with interpreting what these 4 are trying to do at each time with no communication, pings or chat, on their part. And, of course, I'm to blame for the "teams" eventual failure to win. They don't want to surrender when we're down 3 dragons, 15 kills, and 9 towers, either. I wish if you get stuck with a 4 man premade you at least get guaranteed top pick or something, because the solo person is guaranteed bitch for the ride almost always.

Second game we have a Teemo player who last picks top, even though we had our first pick select Jayce. Because he called, in draft mode, "top." We explain to him about the difference between call order and pick order in the different modes. We end up with no ADC and get painfully demolished by a 15/0 Corki.

Third game eventually turns around in our favor after I help another Teemo support player make some ganks in bottom lane.

Fourth game we have an unranked player with about Bronze skills play Janna for their Diamond 4 Vayne duo buddy. The rest of the players are high silver to low gold. I'm barely Silver in my ADC skills. I can't even trade properly with Caitlyn against this Vayne. Vayne ends up getting a few quadra kills throughout the game.

Poulpe posted:

Speaking of bronze league, does anybody know when the account boosters start coming out in full force? I'm in Silver 2 now and trying to push Gold 5 before the end of the season , but it's going to be made infinitely more difficult if there's a myriad of plat boosters in my games

Yeah, near the end of the season. I made the mistake of waiting until this period to start ranked last time. I did get to gold, though. Sometimes it can work in your favor if these boosters are on your team. I had maybe one or two on my team and on the opposite team last season. It's not as common as you'd think, but it can happen.

VVVVVVVV Vi has 5 fingers on her gloves, Blitz has 4!

Witters fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 11, 2014

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Omnikin posted:

I hope it's neither Vi nor Blitzcrank, I want a full Arcade-skin decent team comp. Hecarim and Sona already have jungle and support covered.

edit - Veigar works, now we just need a top laner

Top laner Jarvan IV Arcade Skin. His ult makes a giant Mario-style pipe rise from the ground and surround everyone. Seems like Jarvan 4 would also be very combo-wombo-ey with Sona and MF.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Sure thing, except that's not what I did at all. I criticized them for what they've done in the past, and expressed concern that they'll do it again. Maybe people calling them out on their track record will give them pause this timeHAHAHAHAHA.

They could have a rare Vel'koz moment where the champion is safely tuned to neither scale hard or fall off too much, but looking at Gnar's kit, there's too much potential for gently caress-upery.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Jelly posted:

Just laned with a Lucian who went 0/25.

We still won the game.

Let that be a lesson to never give up.

Not great advice. Some games should be given up. Although I'd love to see a replay or the game summary of this most rare of games.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

The issue with Braum's and Yasuo's walls is not so much the fact that they last for a few seconds (which is an eternity in team fights), but it's the threat they easily bring to a potentially major game changing ult. The threat of the wall going up is probably just as good as the wall when it is up. What I mean is that Braum/Yasuo can simply wait for that Nami tidal wave (a slow projectile) or MF ult (which takes a while to build up) and then easily cast their wall as a response. The problem is that these basic abilities of Yasuo and Braum have a relatively short cooldown (26 and 18 seconds respectively, at their highest) in contrast to the kinds of aforementioned ults and they easily and completely negate these ults. The biggest counterplay most of the time while Braum and Yasuo are around is to wait until they stupidly waste their walls. However, any Braum/Yasuo with a few working neurons is going to hold their wall until they can use it as a response to these ults in a team fight. The walls are a cool mechanic, and I think they have a place in the game, but there's no denying they provide little counterplay at times. They themselves can be the counterplay to some abilities.

Also, this is the second time RIOT has released champions with potentially frustrating kits so close to each other, lest we forget the revive mechanics on Zac and Aatrox. Just making a note on it.

Witters fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 19, 2014

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

The pre-season is always the best time to play League because of things like Spellvamp Singed, Super Bruiser Taric, and affording a Deathcap on Annie support quicker than your mid-laner can.

If you enjoy unbalanced crap (which I can totally see the appeal) then yeah, pre-season is usually a hilariously good time. But I just wanted to say that right before the season ends is my favorite time. There's a few bullshit champs right now (looking at you, Tristana and Morgana), but that's always the case. Even the most bullshit stuff is being kept to a minimum right now. I just wanted to say I'm enjoying the balance of the game as it is right now. There's very few things standing out right now as balance problems. Thresh has been toned down to a good place (despite all the outcry of other support mains). Kha, Kass, Rango, Lee, Jax, and all the usual problem champs are in decent spots right now where they can be awesome but only in the right hands. All the horrible pestering go-to-win champs of the earlier season time have been tuned down: Old Nidalee's bullshit spears, Lulu's bullshit laning phase, Lucian's bullying, Ziggs' wave clear, old Gragas overall, release Feral Flare, Teemo's shroom dominance right after the vision changes, etc.

It's not perfect and it'll never be, but I see how the champion balance team is not just playing whack-a-mole with balance, even though it seems that way sometimes. It's currently a good time to play league as far as champion balance.

Witters fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 21, 2014

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

I don't know why I haven't been buying this forever, but newsflash if you didn't know: Frozen Heart is really, really good on J4.

It's a drat good item on anyone that wants to build tanky and is facing a couple or more attack speed enemies. It goes by ignored often, since it isn't exactly flashy, but it's an amazing item.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

My purpose when I use team builder is to practice all the different supports. The "no thank you to your dumb teamcomp" aspect of it is what's appealing to me. I can browse team comps as I please. Also, a hella quick queue time.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Is there any sorta in depth general guides for runes and masteries? Like most of the time I can look up specific champs and get a pretty obvious and consistent set ups but then every once in a while I get what I found for Karma support where probuilds showed me 9/9/12, 9/12/9, 9/0/21, 0/9/21, 0/16/14 and few other weird ones. It'd be nice if some cool nerd has written a big essay to give me some guidelines for when I'm forced to choose for myself rather then just copy and pasting.

I haven't found an in depth guide for runes and masteries I'd recommend. Probably because any guides or recommendations become outdated overtime. Optimal rune setups especially tend to shift as the meta changes. The best I can recommend is checking probuilds and trying to figure out the average set ups for each champion, and ask yourself sometimes why you think the pro player chose these runes. For example, where they going for an aggressive early game, or were they trying to play more defensive?

Here's my current runes and masteries I'm using based on the latest info I can find from probuilds: http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/25867990#runes

The first 6 pages of runes are for support, the next 3 for jungle, 2 for adc, 2 for ad, and 2 for ap. I have labeled them by my most played champs on each role, but it's not fixed and it really depends on match up.

I've seen Libertine also link some good set ups I would recommend looking at, from himself and korean pro players, if he would like to post them for you.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Gowbyas Industries. As in, Gowbyas a new account.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

been thinking about streaming my lovely platinum largely sona-only adventures for a while and I forget if it's even kosher to pimp your own stream here

I'm almost specifically looking for this kind of steam. What's your stream link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

Does anyone know a decent replay recording tool or site? OPGG used to work fine, but it doesn't for me now and lolrecorder from leaguereplays.com is buggy to the point I can't use it. Could someone that records their replays tell me what they use to do so currently?

e: Thanks VVVVVVVV

Witters fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 18, 2015

• Locked thread