Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oxidation
May 22, 2011
So ranked queues are down because apparently 20+ different champions are able to instantly recall

for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfeeHjlEdrI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxidation
May 22, 2011
I'm only Gold 4 and one of the biggest things that got me better was not chasing and just farming more little wizards.

I'm still really bad at feeding when I'm behind or being caught out though :( Like my death rate in top lane is always bad; in games i'm losing it's atrocious (10+), in games where I start 3/0 I somehow manage to go like 7/7. I'm really really bad about it and I don't really know what to do about it except play more dudes. I spent the first 80% of my games in league playing support, so I guess it's growing pains.

oxidation
May 22, 2011

KamikazePotato posted:

You're now watching: Yi Time, featuring Special Guest Star Sion

By the way, from my experiences Sated Devourer is great on him but its gains are mitigated by the bug on Yi's passive that happened this patch. When that gets fixed for next patch, that's when things will actually get silly.

Jesus christ, what rank is this at?

I whipped out jungle yi for fun in team builder but i didn't think it'd actually work in ranked.

oxidation
May 22, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But then the question is...assume that somebody on your team is, in fact, feeding hideously and doesn't have any indication that they're going to stop? Even if you use positive reinforcement or calmly ask them to play more carefully, what do you do? I keep seeing stupid poo poo like things being warded, somebody careening toward somebody out alone, and seeing the collapse coming a minute away. You ping them and they...just stay there and die. Then call their teammates bad.

Granted I've also had a crap load of games lately with supports that never upgrade their support items, never buy a sightstone, and don't use their trinkets past 10 minutes while building confusing items. I'm talking they'd call support, pick a support, then proceed to be so useless you'd suspect they're doing it on purpose. I was on a team with a Nami lately that responded to me saying "hey let's get some wards down...Nami it'd be great if you'd get a sightstone" with "gently caress your vision who needs it?"

Sometimes you can't do anything. It sucks, but you can't make your teammates play or make good judgement calls. You can only control your own actions.

My general meta strategy for dealing with queueing and un-cooperative teammates is:
  1. In champ select, always give your teammates what they want. Don't want them crying like babies because they didn't get mid. Don't question their picks and make them get defensive. Never argue in champ select or call someone bad.
  2. If people are already trolling, complaining, or arguing in champ select, dodge (unless it's a promotion series, then :ohdear: )
  3. Never argue with anyone, ever. Always just make suggestions. Never say 'why did you go in', 'why', 'wtf', '???', or anything that questions your teammates skill or decision making and forcing them to be defensive and argue for why they're good. There's nothing to gain from this.
  4. If someone is arguing, say 'it's alright guys we got this, we just gotta not argue and work together :)'
  5. if they keep arguing, or anyone ever says anything dumb or toxic, instantly mute them. Never argue. just mute them. Don't tell them you're muting them, don't say 'please mute ____', just mute them.
  6. Never say 'report _____' in all chat. Never argue in all chat. If you can't not do this, turn off all chat.
  7. Ward as best as you can / have great vision control (buy greens early, upgrade trinket at level 9 asap, get sightstone for jungler if i'm a tanky one, buy a lot of pinks, get deep wards in their jungle the best you can)
  8. If you see someone walking over a ward, ping danger on top of them (so the chat log says '____ warns you to back away from Bob (Lee Sin'), and type something like 'lee raptors'
  9. Call MIA
  10. Ping a line of dangers where you think people are (if you're top lane, the top laner went mia and has been gone for like 6+ seconds, ping a line of red !'s down the river)
  11. Time baron and dragon, say things like '2min dra', '1min dra'
  12. Say things like 'sona can you ward?' 'omw to ward dragon' and ping Assist Me
  13. Ping and call objectives
  14. Make sure you say things like 'lee is top, lets dra' and ping assist and head there. Giving a good reason why might help them agree with you.
  15. If your teammates are doing a dumb bad thing instead of a smart good thing, don't keep doing a smart good thing. Go help them do dumb bad thing. This one is hard, but what I mean by it is if you win a teamfight, and they're trying to attempt to siege a second turret in a 5v3 instead of getting a free dragon, you can ping dragon and say 'free dragon', but if they keep doing it, you might as well stay and try, instead of trying to solo dragon as tank amumu. For all you know, your decision making isn't the best, or the enemy's team isn't the best either, and it might actually work. Going off and unsuccessfully trying to do the 'right' thing and letting your teammates fail is worse than just doing the suboptimal thing.
  16. always say things like 'gj team!' or 'gj ori!' if something goes well. Don't say anything at all if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong and someone else complains, just say 'taht was just a bad teamfight, everything is okay :)'
  17. After the game, focus on what you can do better, and less on what your teammates are doing wrong. With rare exceptions, never blame your teammates for the loss, because if you were better, you could have carried that game.
Sometimes none of these things work. But I figure if I ping danger on 100 different midlaners because I know they're about to get ganked, maybe more than 50% will actually find that useful. Statistically, I feel doing these things is better than arguing.

I have a friend who's a good deal better than me -- he has twice as many normal games played as me and like 4 times as many ranked, has better decision making, a larger champion pool he's good at, and just better mechanical skill. He has a 40% winrate, stuck at gold 5 0 LP playing with silver 3's and I just got into gold 4 with a 60% winrate. I've basically always been a division or two ahead of him since Season 3. I do all the things I said above, last season he almost got permabanned and he lost all his season rewards for his toxicity. He constantly argues and calls his teammates 'poo poo' and blames them from losing the game. I think he greatly underestimates how much his awful attitude is holding him back. :(

oxidation fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 20, 2015

oxidation
May 22, 2011
If you have Varus mid, then where's the Lich Bane Twisted Fate supposed to go?

oxidation
May 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

I think there's an enormous population of people who have played a bazillion games of Elise. There's a lot of inherent experience across the playerbase. So when she gets a buff of this magnitude (quite considerable), it's exploited immediately by tons of people to produce the above results. This is why Lee Sin can never be buffed again.

You can see this in the Playerbase Experience Distribution graph on champion.gg. More than half the people that play her have 15+ games of ranked on her, and 13% have 125+ games (Not as high as the Zeds and the Jinxes out there, but fairly high.)

oxidation
May 22, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Mines still at 0. Does aram not count then?

I did TF and not graves, but if the 20 kills is the second part of the quest, you need to do the first part.

oxidation
May 22, 2011
So Galio's up to a 56% winrate. Anyone have any success with him?

oxidation
May 22, 2011
I know the biggest dumb thing I did in silver was randomly switch between pushing the wave and not pushing it, and attacking minions for no reason whatsoever. Also taking creep aggro when trading.

I still struggle with making the call to freeze a wave vs pushing it if I know my laner is mia, but I'm not on someone who has the best waveclear and it's like, frozen outside of my turret. I know they're mia because it's frozen outside of my turret and they don't gain anything from being there, and I ping mia for my team, but if they were to actually roam and try to get a kill, do I just (slowly) push it as fast as possible, or just keep the freeze up (and mute the people yelling at me to push the wave and pinging my turret)?

oxidation
May 22, 2011

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Well finally finished 10. Silver II. Pretty good for not playing for like 3 years, I think? Game is actually pretty hard compared to what it used to be. The comparison of DOTA being the harder of the two isn't as strong as I used to think. LOL's pretty tough now.

edit--Although people freak THE gently caress OUT if you EVER do anything out of the ordinary. That's new. I mean who knew that support has to stick to the ADC 24/7 instead of trying to setup ganks mid?

Silver 2 is like top 40%, so you're doing fine.

Also I find the mute function almost necessary. I'm probably less thick skinned than most people, but the second anyone says anything remotely negative or complains, i instantly mute them. Don't need to hear that poo poo if you're confident in what you're doing.

And you're definitely able to gank mid as a support, but it requires mobi boots (to get there and back to bottom faster) and it requires your adc knowing ahead of time that youre doing it (so that they can play safe in a 2v1). Blindly doing it when you got like targon's first back is kind of a bad idea.

oxidation
May 22, 2011
Janna is great but dont roam to get kills mid, just stay bot with your adc and crush your lane.

Thresh and blitz are my favorite roamers if you don't have flash up when you roam, leona/ali are amazing if you can use flash mid to get a kill.

oxidation
May 22, 2011

Gibberish posted:

750 Krakens and 15 Level 3 upgrades? What the hell

This is how I feel. Like I'm not gonna complain since it's a free cosmetic reward, but I played one game and spent maybe 50-60? And that was a game we were winning. I couldn't imagine playing this game mode like 20 times for a gangplank item when it wasn't particularly fun.

oxidation
May 22, 2011

henkman posted:

If you have enough time to play over 100 ranked games in the first 2 weeks of ranked being up you have enough time to watch a couple videos on league concepts

While this is true, why do you care whether or not someone else is getting better at the game? Like I agree that it's weird that someone who doesn't care about getting better would play ranked (and not just blind pick/team builder, or draft normals if they care about bans), but if they want queue ranked and be bad, that's their right. It'll statistically happen to the enemy team more than it will to you, and their LP gains and losses don't affect your ability to climb.

oxidation
May 22, 2011
Skarner has an "AoE" (also known as "Area of Effect") ability.

oxidation
May 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

Yorick has always been abusive as poo poo but almost nobody plays him. I don't think I have seen one outside an ARAM in over a year.

Really though if you are playing a game of league you should only play abusive and stifling champions to ruin your enemy's morale.

If it wasn't for InvertedComposer popping up all the time on Twitch solo queue streams, I would honestly forget that Yorick existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxidation
May 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

Wrote a 5.14 tier list:
http://pryorability.blogspot.com/2015/08/league-of-legends-tier-list-patch-514.html

Brought over my Trundle post from these forums into my blog post, but more or less summarized the rest of the stuff that most people have probably already been seeing.

Let me know if you think anything stands out as peculiar in the numbers.

This is great.

• Locked thread