Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Ryze's individual AP ratios on his skills aren't that great but they can't be high because he's basically a spell machine gun. He's going to hit you with like 12 spells in three seconds or some bullshit. He can Q -> E -> W -> Q somebody in one volley which has at least a 1.75 AP ratio overall, more if you get whacked by E more than once, on top of his mana ratios and the MR reduction from E. Individually the ratios are very "meh" but that's because he doesn't just hit you with on burst. He stands there and pummels you with spells as hard as he can.

That being said one of the funniest things to see is a double tear Ryze build fully stacked with like 5,000 mana. Why yes, I do have all of the shield and spells that deal all of the damage. Thanks for noticing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sexpansion posted:

Clearly the answer is to buy both. Can you stack two tears at the same time?

No. You need to finish one and build it into something before you start stacking another.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sexpansion posted:

Well then it would be really impressive if you finished both. I have a mission for tonight.

It takes reeeaaaaal long time and there are only a handful of champions that can spam hard enough to actually do it. There are also only a handful of champions that can actually use it properly. However, it's extremely satisfying to accomplish and hilarious to watch people try to kill you through your gigantic shield while you pound on them like a freight train.

edit: Total out of just the items, disregarding champion mana, is 2,000 mana, 65 AD, 0 to 60 damage per attack and single target spell, 120 AP, and a 0 to 400 HP shield. Just gets bigger based on champion mana and any other mana stuff you buy a long the way. Ryze in particular gets 1,240 mana inherently at level 18. That's a total of 3,240, which is over a 50% increase to all that stuff. Good luck lasting long enough to get to that point, though, in that you're paying for an item slot that would probably do well to have some resists in it and the opportunity cost of finishing defensive items later/not buying them in the first place. Double tear builds are more hilarious than actually effective.

Throw in a Rod of Ages and that's 3,990 mana, the ultimate in glass cannon Ryze that will never run dry, ever.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 8, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Giodo! posted:

You can also charge a third tear once you've finished your Muramana and your Seraph's.

If the game goes on long enough for somebody to charge three tears both teams already lost.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Libertine posted:

I just think of jungle camp poaching as something that happens when you are behind as a laner or the game is stalled because you can't press an advantage. It's definitely not something you should build your strategic mindset around going into the game. Especially not as a solo queue game. Also the dude who ran it in Roccat never tried it again after that one game AFAIK.

There are a few champions that actually benefit greatly from eating camps just because they can do it so blindingly fast. Malzahar comes to mind. It's balls easy to kill mid tower incredibly early then power farm a few jungle camps until nothing can get near you without dying instantly. Part of the reason it's a good strategy is that it's really hard to prevent you from doing it and champs like Malz chew through camps so quickly it's barely slowing you down elsewhere. This is especially true of wraiths. They're like...right there and he can wreck the whole camp in seconds. It can be a very good idea for Malz to shove the lane up to the second tower after he's killed the first then eat some wraiths on the way to roam somewhere.

It really depends on how fast the champ in question can clear the camps, who your jungler is, and what you plan on doing otherwise. Even so, in the case of Malzahar I'm probably going to farm the poo poo out of wraiths if my jungler isn't Udyr.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

NTT posted:

Every champ benefits, but only a few can sustain the spell usage/have the kit to do it.

For a lot of champs the clear is so slow they pay a massive opportunity cost or get too beat up in the process. Malzahar has neither of those problems.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Poppy is a severely underrated champion that is pretty much unstoppable once she comes online. A lot of people see her painfully awful early game and never give her a chance while failing to realize how much of an invincible carry-deleting rear end in a top hat she can be.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

d0grent posted:

So currently whenever I'm forced into top lane I cheese it with kayle or karma (unless I can get a decent match-up for pantheon). I was thinking about picking up Fiora to have in my back pocket for when this happens; is she worth the 6300?

I like Nasus a lot top lane in pretty much every matchup. Once you learn him he doesn't have any matchups that are like awful once you get some Q stacks. Get to 200 and basically nobody can bully you out any more. 400 and you can eat towers and ADCs marksmen like candy. 1,000 and you win by default.

I can't say anything about Fiora though, never played her.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Corbeau posted:

I ADC almost every game. They're all the same champ.

No man, some of them have guns, some of them have bows, and the best one throws loving axes! They're different.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Libertine posted:

I agree with you 100% and Thresh has been my main champion all season. I don't want to play him at all anymore, he really blows now. There's at least 8 or 9 other support champions I'd rather play than him in any given game.

I mained Thresh last season to the tune of like 200 games and yeah I barely touch him now. He was my favorite champion and I guess he still is but he got nerfed so unbelievably hard. I've been saying it for a while; he's been Olafed and they just keep nerfing him. Yeah he was kind of overpowered for a good chunk of season 3 but holy balls is he useless now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wait, who the hell thinks Fiddlesticks is a bad jungler? Sure he isn't exactly the current meta of beefy bruiser junglers but other than being squishy has exactly everything a jungler needs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

Fiddle's ult has a built in flash, that's a weird statement.

I think it's a referral to the fact that Fiddles's ult works best if you use flash with it. Which is kind of an odd criticism. Once you hit 6 you can almost guarantee kills with an ult/flash/Q combo. Really, Fiddles has some of the nastiest ganks in the game. Even then, though, you don't really need to flash when ganking.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wolery posted:

What's a good build for Gangplank if your plan is to split push all year?

Hydra -> Shiv -> IE. Go fast boots. I assume your plan is to just split push and run away whenever anybody comes for you. This lets you clear waves basically instantly and run away fast like if anybody comes up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Power of Pecota posted:

Mundo/Kennen is the like saddest matchup top I've ever played top, and that's as someone who's played more Mundo than any other toplaner. Neither of you can do anything to each other whatsoever.

I think my favorite top lane matchups are the matches where it's literally impossible for either champion to kill the other, just for the hilarity. Most of the time you're just farming but occasionally somebody will hit the other person and trade, which will be erased in a few seconds. You'll just basically stand there, shrug, and cordially farm until the jungler ganks or team fights start to break out. I've had a lot of Nasus matches like that. Well, those often end with "oh by the way" *WHACK* "I have 300 stacks" *BASH* "and can kill the ever loving gently caress out of you now."

But yeah, two walls of meat bouncing off of each other will never stop amusing me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Unfinish3d posted:

I pretty much always play Wukong when I end up top lane so I have no concept of a match up where I can safely ignore the other dude. It sounds nice.

Wukong is kind of a weird case because most, if not all, of his in-lane matchups are bad but you don't pick him to win the lane you pick him because he's a loving monster in team fights, even if he gets behind.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sharzak posted:

Will someone tell me how to Shaco? I have runes/masteries copied from guides but I can't seem to get his jungle to flow. Invades always go terribly and if their jungler is anything tankier than, say, Warwick I just get dumpstered. A guide on how to actually do stuff with him would be neat. I do have the first clear down.

How to play Shaco:

poo poo boxes all over a buff, doesn't matter which one. Kill that buff. Go kill the other buff. Kill some other camp to hit 3.

Gank
Then you gank again
Gank some other lane
OK, now that you're done ganking, go gank some more.
Are your buffs back up? If not, go gank.

Basically, ganks go like Q past any wards, drop a box behind somebody, chuck a knife at them, and stab them a lot.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

Does that poo poo ever stop? I mean in my unranked games I regularly played with people who were silver/gold/plat but you'd always have someone employing the "run around randomly and duel people while refusing to group" strategy. I'm thinking now that I'm ranked I might wanna look for a team to play with or something, I have a friend I always duo with who placed gold 3 with me and some other friends I like to play with while stoned but are kinda bad but I was thinking it might be nice to have a consistent 5 man to practice with.

It never stops exactly and there are people that rode that train all the way to Platinum because, well, if you're really good at it the right champions can be a complete terror at it. It does, however, taper off. My experience has been that your average bronze player thinks that teamwork is a thing that other people do, silvers understand the concept but are frequently terrible at it, and gold players will, at the very least, do it whenever they're quite certain that it benefits them. But no, you will never escape the mid lane assassin that gets eight kills before the first tower goes down then just runs around randomly trying to get more kills.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lilspooky posted:

Been playing more support than normal lately and it's a position I really need to practice. How do you guys run the more unusual AP supports like Karma or Vel'Koz?

For Vel'Koz I generally figure it's just a standard support item, sightstone, Liandry's, then support crap. He can poo poo out obscene amounts of damage with little more than 40% CDR and a creepy mask. You want a Mana Font passive on him so getting a crucible is a good idea. He works fine with a typical AP support build. In the laser squid's case, though, picking him as a support is very situational. He doesn't do very well in a very aggressive, all in lane in that he's very heavy poke. He's squishy as hell, slow, and has no escapes so if you plan on pushing hard he's a lovely pick. However, he's good if your plan is to constantly Q down lane and tell the other team "no, YOU stay over THERE" while you keep your ADC safe. He can shove Leona off pretty well, for example. He'll work just fine in a poke comp and can counter initiations. He does, however, tend to starve ADCs of kill gold.

Coin is also good for laser squid in that an upgraded talisman lets you and your ADC get the hell away. Spellthief works too though in that laser squid works best by being long-range harass in lane.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wolery posted:

Top Lane Thresh was kind of a cool and neat niche pick a year ago before his numbers got nerfed into the pit. Probably not worth trying anymore.

Yeah top Thresh was hilarious fun for much of last season if you knew how to do it and it was one of my favorite things. Now, though, he's just too neutered to be properly effective top. The biggest issues were the halving of the soul duration and the range nerf. In the past you could harass almost every melee bruiser endlessly and mercilessly, suck up every soul with ease, dictate the flow of the lane, and then with gold turn into a freight train of crowd control. Now, though, it just doesn't work anymore. The other issue was the nerf to Randuin's. Old Thresh really, really liked that item if he could afford it.

Thresh was my main champion last season but to be honest I can't even justify picking him ever at the moment.

But yeah, in the past BORK + Randiun's gave Thresh the potential to easily nail down entire teams. Merc Treads and a Hexdrinker made him resistant enough to magic damage that it didn't shred him anymore. Granted you still didn't pick top Thresh into AP heavy teams and Teemo would always end you. It was kind of a situation pick but with some gold and the removal of the burden of buying support items Thresh could be turned into this hideous blob of "you will stay right the gently caress there while my team murders you and no you won't kill me, ever."

Libertine posted:

He has terrible scaling in a lane where scaling power is one of the most important things.

My experience with top Thresh was that his start was kind of meh but once he started getting souls he became a menace. Each soul let him deal extra damage per attack and getting to 50 didn't take terribly long. It might not seem like much but BORK + souls, especially before his range nerf, gave him a lot of potential to bully melee champs. Dives were also The Thing in those days and, well, you do not dive Thresh.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 18, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

It's not that they play more responsibly per se, it's just that they made snowballing less important, nerfed a bunch of champions, and messed up the metagame and gave everyone a free ward.

The other really useful thing for top that thresh doesn't have is sustain. Thresh does scale, but he's a perfect support champion in that the one thing in his kit that scales really well is utility; CDR is by far his best stat, but it barely makes him do more damage. Plus, if thresh is up and you're good at it, you can probably still carry better as a support than a solo laner in top.

"Thresh has no sustain" is only true for his inherent kit. The main reason top Thresh worked was that you auto harassed constantly. His base AD is dismal but it didn't really matter. Old Doran's Blade (or a Shield, pre-nerf, in some matchups) with a Vamp Scepter actually made him deceptively sustainable, especially against very short range champions. Dashes also didn't mean much. Top Thresh actually destroyed Riven pretty consistently for example and, as she was very FOTM last season, that made me very happy. You could also not all in Thresh, generally. He'd just kind of shove you away and laugh. Or chain you into his tower. Oddly enough moving his windup passive to Flay was the thing that made top Thresh actually work.

That was actually why I rushed a BORK whenever I played top Thresh. The %health, attack speed, and souls combination was a nasty, nasty source of harassment before tank items started showing up. The Box was also a very good finisher as you could whittle somebody down then chain right on top of them, drop a box in their face, and be all like "you walk through those walls, you die. You stay here, you die. gently caress you, I'm Thresh."

Now, though, his numbers just suck too much and it's too easy to miss a crap load of souls. RIP top Thresh, too beautiful for this world.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

It's a role they werent' designed to fit, so if it works, expect it to get nerfed into the ground.

And it really, really bothers me that that happens. I like the idea of champions that can fill multiple roles or wear different hats. Or weird generalist champions that can got a bunch of different ways. It's why I liked Thresh so much. There were all sorts of crazy ways you could build him and all sorts of bonkers poo poo he could pull off. But now he just sucks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dosvidanya posted:

It should have happened by now if you lost at 0lp. As long as you don't have 0lp, you're probably golden.

That's true if you aren't dropping a metal, to a certain degree. You don't always lose a rank every time you lose at 0 lp. You get a brief grace period of a few games where losing doesn't demote you. Entire divisions have a much higher tolerance for it, actually, so you basically need to have your elo or mmr or whatever it is now tank all the way down an entire division to lose something like Gold V. You can wallow in mid silver land for a while with a gold ranking so long as you don't dip too low. I forget exactly where the cut off point is but you have to tank really, really hard to do it.

Apparently there were people climbing to Gold V then trolling their way back down to a silver to bronze elo immediately after because gently caress it, you get the rewards, why not clown idiots trying to climb while throwing yourself back down where you could stomp people worse than you?

Even so, it takes a pretty massive losing streak to drop a whole division. Granted it happened to me this season but all told it isn't utterly impossible to climb back up, it can just sometimes take a few games.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I don't think he's terrible but I haven't seen him pulling any OP strings.

He's had a 54%+ win rate literally as long as I've played, sometimes higher. He's a very very good champion if you know how to play him. He's just kind of boring so not a lot of people do.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sharzak posted:

That's the thing--I'm terrible at this game and the first time I tried him I had one of my best games of all time. I'm in Double Minus Bronze Elo, mind you, but playing him just a couple of times lately he just seems fundamentally broken. Why should one of the tankiest champs in the game also have arguably the best ganking kit there is? Rammus ganks are scarier than, say, Shaco ganks and he is actually useful late game without getting mega fed.

Rammus has terrible objective control, his clears are dismal, and it's very easy to just wander around his jungle behind him and take all his poo poo. He's dramatically more powerful in bronze than higher for that reason, which is probably why he feels so powerful. You just aren't at a point where people can effectively counter jungle or dragons get fiercely contested. Or even acknowledged.

Bronze players, far as I could see, also tend to not build tenacity, ward poorly, have very bad map/situational awareness, and have no idea how to counter tanks. Rammus exploits all of those things mercilessly. Oddly enough exploiting those things mercilessly is the way you get out of bronze.

Granted, Rammus also does well in higher ranks but part of that is because unpopular champions are often only played by people that really, really like them. Viktor is one of those that really comes to mind.

That being said, if you enjoy Rammus and do well with him, gently caress it, play him all day. Go for it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sharzak posted:

How is powerball not a gap closer? I will concede that he seems kind of vulnerable to an early invade but past say level four or so he can clear with high health relatively quickly.

Edit-- I guess I'll put my money where my mouth is and post in here once I stop winning with him and see if my opinion changes.

Powerball is a gap closer in its way but it had a windup, is not instant, and poo poo can get in the way. The real, better gap closers are things like Jax's jump or Pantheon's stun. You move directly to the target and do something to it even if other poo poo is in the way. "I stood behind some minions" is a good way to prevent Rammus from powerballing you but, again, bronze players tend to have no idea how to do things like that.

Really, the question you have to ask yourself is "Do I enjoy playing Rammus?" If you're winning and having fun keep doing it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sharzak posted:

You don't build ROA to ignore people in lane, you build ROA when you can already ignore people in lane and don't need an early stats advantage. Cho fits the bill here pretty perfectly. Plus with ROA, 6 feast stacks and a few other incidental health items you can hit 5k hp with tons of both resistances while still being actually threatening because you have a little AP.

In other news I'm still riding the free win Rammus train-- 5 wins 0 losses with him thus far in ranked.

Edit--you guys are insane for saying he's not OP--he's the winningest champ in diamond and in hte top 3 in every division leading up to that.

RoA is a really, really good item on lane Cho. Jungle Cho is going to have trouble getting it early enough to be relevant but really, lane Cho loving loves that item. He has some mana issues and it helps deal with those, he generally wants to be a gigantic, fat battering ram so he loves the health, and nom is an AP-based nuke that deals true damage, on top of his 1.0 ratio on stomp and that everything else he has also has some AP scaling. Add that to the bonus sustain on his already good sustain and you have an item that works reeeaaaal good on him.

Ride that train long as you can, yo. If you found a strong champion that you like and works for you spam the poo poo out of it and don't let anybody tell you that you're wrong. Rammus is a drat fine champion and I've said it before and I'll say it again. If he works and you have fun playing him then just keep it up. You may very well have found your main champ and there isn't a drat thing wrong with it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

I guess the career Nidalee Support mains have found themselves a new useless rear end in a top hat to play :smug:

Unlike Nidalee Vel'Koz can actually make a good support. He has a nasty slow, piles of poke, and a knock up/away. He only really works in specific pairs against specific champs but unlike Nidalee he isn't useless in all bot lane matchups.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

It boggles my mind that anyone would believe a stated reason for DDOSing, unless that reason is, "we're on a power trip."

The other reason is attention whoring. Sure they'll state reasons to try to give it an air of legitimacy but let's be honest, there aren't really any good reasons to go after an online game. League is hell of popular right now so people are going to attack it just to be dicks.

d0grent posted:

Not even close -_-

WoW servers collapsed under their own weight quite a few times back in the day but it was understandly so as more people log on when a new patch comes out/there's just more server load in general. League servers will just break down at any point in time, and the sheer variety of problems that occur are mindboggling.

The entire internet and every server is a bundle of sticks, bubblegum, and glue that primarily runs on dreams and miracles. The entire thing is basically seconds away from exploding and absolutely nothing ever has 100% up time. The only reason things look like they do is because anything that matters or makes money has a bunch of redundant backups, secondary connections around the interblag, and alternate ways of working. Trust me, when it comes to computer-related anything it isn't a matter of if something breaks but when.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So is there a certain hero I should buy first? I was thinking about a jungler because I never see them on my team. I also really enjoy Jynx and K6 but I don't know when they rotate out.

Just play whoever is free and looks neat at any given time. The champions you enjoy playing are the ones you should buy first. That's all there is to it, really; there is no champ that is completely, 100% unplayable. You'll find champions you really, really like and then champions that you really, really hate. Eventually you're going to find That One Champ that just clicks with you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DarkDobe posted:

So I am debating picking this up again after a hiatus for the last.... 8 months?
I'm wondering if any of the new champions are worth picking up.
Especially so, i've been eyeballing Vel'Koz, since I have a particular fondness for skillshot champs.

Are any of the newer guys particularly outstanding? Does Vel'Koz suck, or he secretly OP like my good buddy Viktor was back when I played? How similar is he to Malz, my all time fave?

What has become of Jayce, too? I played briefly around the time he was released and subsequently nerfed into the ground, but I have some lingering hopes he is still enjoyable to use. He was easily one of my favourites back in the day!

Malzahar and Vel'Koz are dramatically different, actually. Malzahar you push, push, push, PUSH and flash/ult everything to murder it to death. Malzahar seems to favor a psychotically aggressive play style. Vel'Koz is basically the polar opposite. If you don't have deep wards you do not, ever, under any circumstances walk past the middle of your lane. Malzahar does terrible things to you if you get near him. Vel'Koz just...dies. Really, Vel'Koz is the glass cannon. He pukes nasty lasers all over everything and can melt all sorts of poo poo from a good distance away but dies instantly if he so much as gets breathed on.

That being said, yeah Vel'Koz is actually a pretty good champion. I don't think he's really OP, exactly, but can be very nasty if his team can keep him safe. The Athene's/Liandry's combo on him turns him into a murder machine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Thumbtacks posted:

my one issue with him is early game. I can't harass very well since I need to save my Q to farm, so his pre-6 is basically (or i'm doing it wrong) just farming and trying to not get harassed too hard.

No, that's basically Veigar. If you came out even in lane you've effectively won your lane. He has one of the worst early games in existence (possibly THE worst in League) but you don't really play him for his early game. He's one of those champions whose play style is basically "press Q for 20 minutes -> delete carries." He's a lot like Nasus in that his early game should be focused primarily on farming up a poo poo load of Q then mid to late game he gets increasingly dangerous to be on the same screen as.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fnox posted:

Wtf? Have you not played against a Smite/Ignite Shaco? His early dueling power is easily one of the best of all junglers due to the added DPS that ignite gives him plus the early damage he can deal with a well placed box, the Deceive crit and his passive. A Shaco who isn't early invading you isn't playing the champion right.

A Shaco should be looking for a kill, a buff steal, or at the very least a spent Flash from you.

Alternately, the Shaco that isn't invading you is repeatedly murdering your entire team and will have 15 kills in about 20 minutes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hurricane is a bad item that is also really fun

I like the idea of Hurricane. I want it to be a good item but the only two champion it's actually any good on is Teemo and Kayle but that's only if you're planning on doing nothing but split pushing the entire game Teemo with a Hurricane and some AP can push lanes instantly but that's basically a strategy along the lines of "dear the rest of my team; I hope you did not expect me to be fighting with you, ever, at all, for any reason."

The rule to follow is "never buy Hurricane, ever." It's a neat idea but in practice it's a terrible, terrible item. The only stat it gives you beyond the passive is attack speed which is utterly useless without any other stats but it's expensive and...yeah.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm actually rather fond of Runaan's Hurricane on Urgot. But then again, I am not known for my amazing play. A 15% damage debuff + slow on 3 dudes in a teamfight seems pretty okay to me!

That assumes you're ever close enough to anything to auto it that much. Otherwise there are many things more important to Urgot than attack speed. In his case you buy a tear and a brutalizer before much else and you want CDR/AD/ArPen before you buy anything else at all, which isn't going to leave you much space to buy a Runaan's. All told Urgot is probably one of the worst ranged champs to buy a Hurricane on. He isn't an autoattacker; he's a Q spammer.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Drone_Fragger posted:

I was under the impression you picked mundo to build sunfire and do 150 magic damage a second to anyone nearby?

The main reason you pick Mundo is to become an unkillable gently caress that just stands in the middle of a team refusing to die while being on fire. Sunfire is a drat fine item on him but Mundo's main job is to not die.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kokoro Wish posted:

I thought straight to Triforce was the main Lucian thing? That's how I always played him at least.

It depends on how fed you're getting, how you're planning on playing Lucy, and what the other team is doing but yes, Trifirst Lucy is a good build.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Question for all you junglers out there. When the game hits 20+ minutes and all the laning is over, how do you feel about ADCs (other roles too, I guess) taking your jungle camps?

Personally, so long as they leave me enough stuff to get my conservation stacks spent I don't really give a poo poo. The only time it really matters is if somebody takes a buff camp that is dying a lot. Really, if you're feeding, never take a buff. Chances are, most junglers (as in, not Udyr) can't quite clear things fast enough for there to be a totally empty jungle basically ever. If my team is just chewing through every camp as fast as they come up yeah that sucks for the jungler but for the most part teammates in general grabbing camps whenever it is convenient isn't a huge deal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Willie Tomg posted:

It seems like Essence Reaver is a really great item to use on champs that use a lot of spammy abilities weaved between autos like Lucian or Ezreal, yet nobody builds it, why is that?

It's gently caress off expensive and you probably want other items more. By the time you get more important thing it's already late game and ER is useless. It's a cool item and a neat idea it just isn't quite good enough to justify rushing it. The mana restoration is also based on damage, which means it gets better if you have other items as well, which makes getting it first also kind of dumb.

edit: I've been buying it second sometimes on MF and only MF in that I tend to spam the poo poo out of her abilities but I'm terrible at ADC mana management so it might not be a good idea. ADC is my worst role.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 4, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

I can't take anyone who honestly dislikes Renekton seriously.

Why? It's pretty easy to start hating that damned crocodile after laning against him a lot. I've never played him so he might be fun to play but I don't know. All I know is that he's loving miserable to play against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Servaetes posted:

Hecarim does a long scary spooky march to the league and yells I WANT IN and uh, okay, so now we got a spooky centaur ghost. Or why the hell would Thresh join unless he's a huge dick and wants to make fun of Lucian forever

Well, Thresh and Hecarim don't really need to make much sense, in their way. They're creepy dead things from the place that undead things come from and they don't exactly explain themselves all that much. In the case of Thresh it's "I need the best loving souls I can get" so he's at the place where he can get them. In his case he could very easily have decided that his next major quarry was a summoner or a champion and was there to gently caress with them until they snapped, snag the soul, and gently caress back off to the Shadow Isles. Or, really, just kind of hang around and grab whoever is next. Who knows?

Part of the reason these guys are extra creepy is that the nastiest fear is fear of the unknown. Thresh doesn't explain himself. All you really know about him is that he breaks minds, likes to drive people insane, and collects peoples' souls. Nobody knows why nor does anybody know how he picks his targets. He didn't really bother explaining why he joined the League. He's powerful enough to be there and must have a reason to but he won't explain what.

In the case of Hecarim it could really just be "I am a fite man and I like 2 fite."

edit: I think, though, that lore isn't the reason people play games. League is fun. Lore is really just secondary. It gives reasons for the game to exist but at the same time you could make the game totally abstract. Pick a green circle, a pink square, or a purple rhombus. Each has different advantages and disadvantages. Lore just kind of enhances a game but the lore should never, ever get in the way of the game. I, for one, like reading game lore and think League has done some cool things but it should be totally possible to play League while completely ignoring the lore. Currently, it is.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 5, 2014

• Locked thread