Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I played Sona/Soraka bot lane with a friend last night, we lost but it was the most hilariously cheesy thing I've done in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Didn't we have a gif of all those hilariously bad Fiddles ults near the end of last thread? Or was it just a cut down youtube video.

I think it's just my video. I'm really bad at making gifs for some reason it's like voodoo magic to me.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Libertine posted:

In before an infinite number of posts in the new thread go "hey remember <champion that everyone thought sucked>, well I forgot all about the enormous changes Riot made to them in the most recent patch, didn't read the notes, but I've nevertheless decided to post and brag so I can lord over everyone in here how smart I am... oh whoops."

Here's my 4.13 tier list/website (repost):
http://pryorability.blogspot.com/2014/08/league-of-legends-tier-list-patch-413.html

Serv, if I made an enormous effort post with general rune/mastery setups for a variety of roles and popular champions would you want it for the OP? Alternatively we could try to steer people to some of the better resources that have come out since the last major update to the OP, stuff like probuilds and publicly available professional game rune/mastery pages.

Boy howdy I can't believe how hard they dumpstered Sona why won't Riot listen to the PBE players :downswords:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Witters posted:

It's not that they dumpstered Sona, it's just such a confusing unnecessary rework on so many levels. Pick rate went up slightly, now it's back to normal. Win rate went up. She's going to eat some nerfs next patch probably and be in no better position or playing level of satisfaction, in my opinion.

I think they achieved their objectives - her spells and auras are less spammy, way clearer and more interactive with your allies. All of that without harming her pick or win rate sounds like a job well done to me.

Also the point is there were many, many people complaining that she was going to be total garbage and that this had been proven by playing her on the PBE, not just 'not in a better position conceptually' or whatever your conclusion is.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Kubla Khan posted:

Has anyone here switched from Dota 2 to LoL? If so, what were the reasons for doing that?

How would you compare both games when played at a higher level?

I don't know if this is a really low effort troll attempt but I hope you enjoyed asking the Dota thread for their unique individual opinions as to why LoL is a dumb and bad game played by dumb and bad people!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Darth Windu posted:

For reference, his ap ratios are worse than Leona's.

I know this is just a troll but people actually believe this is relevant.

League players are so loving bad at basic math.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fnox posted:

Why is Frozen Mallet still an item holy poo poo it's like it only exists for unranked ADCs to throw games.

Mallet isn't even that egregious. Reminder this game still has snowball stacking items and a whole lot of people got mad when a professional team dared to actually buy them.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Hahaha I never before realized how much she looks like Stephen Fry.

More like James May imo

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

How the hell do you even play Dominion?

You don't.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

My bogie is Katarina when I'm playing Orianna. It's not even supposed to be a hard matchup and I have no trouble with other melee mobility champs (Fizz, Kass) but I lose every loving game to katarina either because the enemy jungler makes my lane a hell or she gets a couple of dumb kills and it no longer matters what I did in lane.

One day I might improve my mechanics enough to prevent it by just winning too hard early.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Vermain posted:

Summoning Insight would be great if Thoorin were replaced by someone who can ask tough questions whilst simultaneously not spending seven minutes asking his question and sounding like a shithead when he does.

Hypothetically speaking if aliens came to earth and abducted Thoorin, would it be a better show? (yes)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Jelly posted:

Three games tonight where the opposing team refuses to report afkers/rage-quitters, actually defends them with poo poo like, "No need to report, everyone has a bad day". Funny how you never hear that when you're on the suffering team. People are poo poo.

If they afked or RQ for a while before the game ended they will be picked up automatically (name in red on the score screen). If they didn't, and I have no evidence that it wasn't just a DC 1 minute before we won anyway, then I'm not going to report them for that.

I rarely report afk/DC for those reasons. It's only really relevant when someone afks for a long time and then comes back right at the end to avoid leaverbuster or if they just sit in the fountain moving occasionally.

Colonel Squish posted:

Telling the other team to report someone on your team diminishes their feeling of accomplishment for winning. Sure, it's probably incredibly blatant that you had a feeder on full-blast, but that doesn't stop people from getting offended at the possibility that their play had literally nothing to do with their victory. People don't put much thought into their video games.

Most of the report requests I see are because "they're really toxic" when the player has said nothing untoward in all chat. Ok, maybe they are really toxic but I have nothing to prove that other than your word and there's already 4 people able to report them who have seen what they were typing in allied chat.

Intentional feeders are usually pretty obvious but again it's annoying to have people request that I report someone on the other side of the map for gameplay stuff I haven't actually been watching.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 13, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

NTT posted:

Alternatively, leave him open, because surely the other team is thinking the same thing and someone will instalock and feed, giving you a free win. :)

You don't understand Bond, bad things only happen to me.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Lovechop posted:

anything is possible when you believe in yourself

I have lost to AD Janna support in ranked. It was actually pretty funny.

Headline posted:

League of Legends: Post the Laserest Beams You Got

Meowzahar. C'mon Riot that would sell like hotcakes.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

The warning that you're going to be demoted is that you've lost a ton of games at 0 LP (seriously how low does your MMR have to be to get demoted from Silver V?) and everyone else in your games remarks how ~insert lower league~ the games are.

edit: according to OP.GG, 1000 MMR is how low you have to be.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 21, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I bet Methanar's skill is inversely proportional to his packet loss. He'd be Bronze if he didn't live in a wasteland.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Transient People posted:

It does have a windup already, doesn't it? It doesn't block anything as it emerges from Yasuo, it has to settled down before it becomes active.

I'm not 100% sure about this but it certainly looks like it blocks stuff immediately. I've seen Yasuo wind wall things that looked like they should already have hit him, they were that close.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Can someone explain to me what happened to make Alistar picked in solo lanes again? Mostly the mana cost buffs in 4.12? I love the cow and it's really funny to see people talking about nerfs to him when he was garbage tier for so long.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Thanks. I immediately remembered his buffs after posting but didn't think about him being seen as a Maokai alternative.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Sharzak posted:

Giving cho a VU would be utterly pointless since the only skins that matter for him are Gentleman and Battlecast.

Dance party Cho'Gath is the only Cho'Gath.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

If you want some general purpose advice, I've been slowly working my way through these lectures on the game. Most of these were made some time ago but most of the stuff still applies. Fair amount of the stuff in the Support lecture is completely out of date and not very useful anymore though sadly, mainly due to changes to how wards work.

Being also Silver I dunno how good the advice presented in the videos are but I had them recommended to me and they seem to be helping me out at any rate.

Many of these lectures are still imo the best beginner guides to how to actually win games. There's lots of advice out there on stuff like last hitting, build orders, zoning etc but not a lot on how to actually close out a game or win teamfights as the different champion archetypes.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Brannock posted:

I'm never gonna be banned. On top of that, I think pretty much everyone that I've seen actively complain (there's a distinction for you!) about their bans in League have deserved it. I haven't been banned or suspended one single time in like six years of dotalike playing. I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that people kneejerk report to saying "Build Void Staffs so you do damage". And I think Riot's policies are helping push players towards that sort of vindictive revenge-seeking behavior.

If they're talking about how they'll report you for some dumb reason in chat then you should report them as that's actually a really lovely thing to do. When the tribunal was working a lot of people considered that a reason to hit punish and I suspect Riot would view it negatively.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Vermain posted:

Specifically, Lyte has mentioned that everyone's reports have a relative "weight" that goes up or down depending on how consistently correct that report is (that is, the reported incident leads to a warning/punishment), which then affects how the automated systems processes reports (with a higher weight giving an incident more precedence in the system). Someone who falsely reports constantly is going to have almost no actual weight with their reports.

I think Brannock's point is that the atmosphere in game is made worse by Riot promoting the idea of punishing people for 'toxicity', not that he's actually worried the reports will mean anything.

I don't necessarily agree as I think the in game atmosphere is better than it was 1-2 years ago but it's an interesting question and one that isn't solved by making those stupid reports meaningless. There's also some irony that the best solution I could suggest was to report those people :v:.

Lyte has posted on reddit previously that players right now are reasonably seeing Riot's stance on player behaviour as being very negative because they haven't released any 'positive' measures recently, but that doesn't mean they aren't working on them at the same time.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Trinity on Tryndamere sounds fun, I should try that.

Servaetes posted:

Also, general rule of thumb when it comes to ganks you wanna be a bit mindful of how many creeps the badguy has in his wave pushing. When you went top there were like two waves of creeps and Fiora got pummeled while you did this really weird gank.

That's probably the most basic low level jungler mistake in the game.

"bad laner didn't assist the gank" - every lovely jungler who has no idea what lane minions are.

HClChicken posted:

2) Good point, I do overstay while jungling sometimes I don't realize I need to get back into my jungle. Then sometimes I leave and they die.

Your job is to make good decisions. Sometimes you will make a good decision and your allies will have a heart attack at the keyboard, this should not influence your thinking.

Everyone matched with you is likely to be bad so unless one of them is displaying the required competence to carry for you then I wouldn't worry about being their guardian angel. If they are playing well enough to carry the team then you probably won't be worried about them randomly suiciding anyway will you?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fnox posted:

These loving people. If you miss a ban you should have the common decency to dodge.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Third game in a row where I've lost now. First game lost due to top going like 1/16 against an Akali top + bot getting slaughtered by an Ashe / Blitz comp. Second game, someone broke the meta by having Riven + Lee bot causing, again, slaughter at bot because they had no idea how to counter that. This round, two players going mid and I'm the only one going bot as Caitlyn :suicide:

Edit: the ziggs came bot to support but refuses to help me because he wants creep score + kills. gently caress this game

theflyingorc posted:

Yes, but I usually don't die horribly from their mistake, oh no, I accidentally went in on a level 3 Garen, what will I do?

Hahahah it's cute that you think that makes a difference.

Yes. Alternatively, they could notice the dude wandering into their lane.

You all have terrible solo queue mentalities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQI3gyHxEc0&t=32s

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fnox posted:

What's so bad about wanting my 3 bans instead of getting just 2 while the enemy team gets 3 because somebody hosed up? Don't we talk about not delegating blame all the time? It's not like I quit that game anyway I went through with it and we won despite having the extremely loving volatile/tryhard composition of Riven, Leblanc, Vayne, Annie support, with me as Jarvan.

Hell not too long ago people were asking for 4 bans.

If you think someone should dodge just because they missed a ban you are taking champ select way, way too seriously (or at least seriously for the wrong reasons). As you said, you still won despite a comp you don't like with 2 pretty low winrate champs in it.

It's just such a meaningless insignificant thing to care about and it's non-systematic which is why it's not the same as discussion of how many bans each team should have every single game.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 26, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

Is there a more frustrating position to solo que than support? You can ward every bush, land every Q, flash ult zhonya the enemy backline, etc. but no matter what you do you are ultimately at the mercy of a Tristana who decided to move to toplane to farm while your team had super minions pushing bot with one nexus turret already down and the entire enemy team bunched up near baron. If you stop baby-sitting for one minute your adc is guaranteed to walk into a lane with no vision and get ganked. And what, just what, are you supposed to do if your Caitlyn doesn't appear to know how to auto-attack? I tell you there cannot be a more infuriating role to play in solo que.

Nevermind, it's jungle.

Nice username/post combo, 9/10.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Seriously though if you're matched with ADCs that don't know how to farm/autoattack or supports that don't buy a sightstone you are probably so bad the idea of you blaming other people for your frustrating lack of control over the game would be laughable.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Tonetta posted:

Bilver 5
Bold 5
Blatinum 5
Bimanned 5
Ballenger 5

These are way better league names lets be honest.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

NTT posted:

Botations :ogntsm:

That should be Brotations which is a thing I hope never catches on

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Your buns are now diamond

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Cool post nrook, as another Gold player I thought it'd be fun to see what I'd say about a few points. As for imposter syndrome, I don't know if you've ever actually played in bronze but you'd find it hilarious how much you know relative to bronze players. You didn't even mention it but as a gold top laner you almost certainly have a vastly better understanding of how to mix trading and last hitting than a bronze player (on top of just being able to last hit), which minions to leave and how to keep track of low HP minions your opponent will go for soon.

nrook posted:

To get the creep line close to your tower, hope very hard in champ select they pick a champion who needs to attack creeps, like Renekton, or who hurts creeps while fighting you, like Riven. This is the only way to get the creep line close to your tower.
I think there's some tricks you can do to get enemy minions to focus fire one of your minions in a "reset" lane (i.e. one where both waves are just crashing in the middle because you wavecleared properly). Also in gold there are lots of people who will just randomly damage minions for no loving reason so it's not hard to get waves to push towards you as long as you're making the effort to not do more damage to minions than they are. Finally any time they attack you near minions they will get minion aggro which will cause their creeps to push towards you unless you ALSO got minion aggro by attacking them back (usually the correct thing to do but there are ways to use this to your advantage without throwing the lane). I think it's also possible to push your minions under tower just right and create a bigger wave of enemy minions but I'm not sure and should probably learn if/how that's possible.

nrook posted:

Sometimes if you try to get the creep line close to your tower, you will gently caress up and get a huge creep wave coming at you. This is good if you love taking lots of tower damage.
Unless you're actually zoned from the minions this just means you need to do a better job of trimming the wave down.

nrook posted:

If your opponent winds up with the creep line close to their tower, sucks to be you! There is, sadly, no way to fix this once it happens, unless you have waveclear or your lane opponent leaves. On the plus side they have to stay in lane until the creepline shifts toward you, which is nice.
Other common options: Be ranged (nidalee or teemo are terrors), get your jungler to dive. Some melee champions have an easier time dealing with this or harassing under tower - Tryndamere for instance can AA-spin to get good damage off and take only 1 or even no tower shots.

nrook posted:

Past the early game, you want to push the wave whenever possible. Some people will tell you if you have an advantage, you should try to keep the wave close to your tower to zone your opponent. This forces your opponent to roam mid and snowball the game. I have found this to not be helpful.
Super specific to each game, I'm not good at judging this either. If you're freezing in lane I would say you generally want to have the goal of reaching an item and/or level power spike with starving your opponent as a bonus. E.G. you can freeze as Irelia until you have Triforce and then go roam and murder things leaving your lane opponent 50 cs and 2 levels behind and unable to counter your roam effectively. The worse the rest of your team is doing the more favourable it is (usually) to push lane and help. If you're playing a tanky divelord (e.g. tank renekton, malphite) or something rather than a duelist then it can be best to just push and roam regardless because your job is to help your carries get ahead and win fights.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 27, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

A friend of mine, a D5 mid/toplaner who subbed in a game in the Kraken Cup, made a video analysis of a (rather lopsided) game he played. I found it rather informative and entertaining. I'll pass on any feedback y'all have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgp4i7VDCcE

Just wanted to say that the banner popping up with "Their soloqueue teamcomp by Chinua Achebe" on it is one of the funniest and most obscure league jokes I've ever seen.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Mulloy posted:

In low rear end elo, should I be letting my adc die if they over extend? That's probably 80% of my early deaths, trying to fix that.

Well, probably. Ideally you shouldn't be following a rule that's quite so broad. Sometimes you should help them out, sometimes you shouldn't.

I'm with NTT (if I remember right) on this one - in bronze/silver I'm probably more concerned with playing a scaling support (karma, morgana etc.) and getting hugely fed myself than what my ADC is doing because there's a huge chance that your ADC will just die immediately in later teamfights, and winning those is the main reason you spend all game protecting your ADC anyway.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

That Mejai's isn't going to stack itself.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Libertine posted:

Yeah she completely sucks now but hey sometimes I still gotta roll her out

I wonder if they'll ever give her a kit that's both decent when supporting and not oppressively unfun in a solo lane. Supporting with her before she took over mid once again was a lot of fun.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

You think Hecarim has a ton of skins?

Sona only had 2 available for purchase when her arcade skin released as well, IIRC. Both of them pretty boring with no extra particles or effects.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

All will be crushed by the iron fist of Riot Games.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

It's not surprising that some Bronze I players are better than some Silver V players, anyone with a basic understanding of the current system can figure that one out.
Especially given they all have to be terrible in multiple ways to be down there anyway and most people are basing their judgement off a single game.

Quit lolnexusing your games and then pretending your confirmation bias rationalizations of skill based on one game's observation mean a loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Rudager posted:

What weird alternate LoL reality am I playing in when one of the people on the losing team won't let the other take responsibility for the loss :psyduck:

Looks like everything back to normal with that Talon on your team for promos. I wish op.gg's recording system had worked for that, I want to see just how bad he is.

• Locked thread