Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Kirios posted:

Doesn't PS4 already do this?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the way they're phrasing "Holiday 2015" reeks of serious bullshit. They keep tacking it on there for Tomb Raider in a really noticeable way.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Miching Mallecho posted:

Pre-ordering and pre-downloading is coming to XBOX. :confuoot:

Only on Forza! But don't worry, more games to follow!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

cat doter posted:

I've figured it out, the next tomb raider is an xbox exclusive because square enix are loving assholes, the reboot sold like 4 million copies but it "fell short of expectations" (their words, even though final fantasy 14 1.0 nearly sunk the company) so they're doing an exclusivity agreement due to risk aversion

basically gently caress square enix

Funny because Final Fantasy 14 2.0 is by far their most profitable game now.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Everything about the xbone was hilarious so far but this Tomb Raider thing is kinda bumming me out

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Larry annoys me and The Tomb Raider stupidity by Square is just...disappointing.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Baller Time posted:

Everything about the xbone was hilarious so far but this Tomb Raider thing is kinda bumming me out

You'll be playing it for less in 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Kirios posted:

Funny because Final Fantasy 14 2.0 is by far their most profitable game now.

Well yeah ff14 2.0 is fantastic but it was a pretty clear case of "square enix is in trouble, but it's tomb raider's fault" at the time even though ff14 1.0 was a serious, serious failure

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I misread the £349 as €349 :smith:

Sony's conference in 3h30m, the Giantbomb crew will be watching/commenting live for those into that sort of thing.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zenintrude posted:

"In Holiday 2015"

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the way they're phrasing "Holiday 2015" reeks of serious bullshit. They keep tacking it on there for Tomb Raider in a really noticeable way.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

quote:

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher
Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Enter the Larry Hryb autofellatio hour.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Baller Time posted:

Don't worry, you'll be able to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition exclusively on PS4 in 2016.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i recently played tomb raider ont the pc and it was a lot of fun and i will have the patience to wait until this part is 5 euros on the pc

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wow, having that ready to go is hilarious...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So what is Microsoft paying for tomb raider to actually even be made? A la Nintendo and bayonetta 2?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Eararaldor posted:

Why Tomb Raider of all things?

It's probably because Square-Enix wants a partner to subsidize the high costs of developing and advertising the game. When the first Tomb Raider reboot came out, the company burned over $50 million in advertising. They wanted to make Tomb Raider into a key AAA title that they could get out every two years by making the first one into a big hit. It was this record high increase in advertising that ate up most of the game's profits. They probably figure a timed exclusive is better for the sequel since they can have a cash rich partner help them advertise the game.

I think a lot of people get upset about exclusives and timed exclusives, especially when it involves Microsoft. However, they have to understand a few things about the nature of developing a modern AAA game. It's incredibly expensive to develop and advertise big budget games. The labor costs are higher than ever. For one thing, development budgets are generally elastic so a game would be smaller in scope or leave DLC on the cutting room floor if it didn't have outside funding.

For example, in The Final Hours of Titanfall, it was revealed that the game wasn't coming together fast enough which lead to exclusivity by Microsoft. It was still known as Titan Wars at the time and needed additional development time. However, EA was reluctant to sink more money into the project since they had already spent so much. Even though EA is a rich and powerful publisher, they will naturally have strong years and lean years. It's the nature of the videogame business in that big publishers will have to prepare for bad years. So EA had to bring in a first-party to help fund the title or ship it in the state it was in. It turned out to be Microsoft since the specs for the Xbox One were known and they were willing to fund the game to completion.

While it's easy to think SE is stupid for doing this or Microsoft is evil for buying out the competition, the reality is that most games would come to out with a number of compromises and cut features if the publisher was not able to secure outside funding. That's assuming they even get the greenlit. It's a very difficult time for publishers since delays and commercial failures are very costly. These exclusivity deals shouldn't just be seen as a bribe to keep the game off competing platforms (which they still are) but rather a reality of doing business.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Let us explain this to you. Now we'll proceed to not explain anything."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol at underperforming game now being exclusive to an underperforming console. brilliant move

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So what is Microsoft paying for tomb raider to actually even be made? A la Nintendo and bayonetta 2?

I would say it's likely co-funding with microsoft handling the marketing.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

When Rise Of Tomb Raider was shown at E3, which conference was it at?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

rargphlam posted:

Enter the Larry Hryb autofellatio hour.

LOOK AT THE WATER!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

While it's easy to think SE is stupid for doing this or Microsoft is evil for buying out the competition, the reality is that most games would come to out with a number of compromises and cut features if the publisher was not able to secure outside funding. That's assuming they even get the greenlit. It's a very difficult time for publishers since delays and commercial failures are very costly. These exclusivity deals shouldn't just be seen as a bribe to keep the game off competing platforms (which they still are) but rather a reality of doing business.

The problem with this argument is that there are plenty of examples of more ambitious multiplatform titles that didn't need to subsidize their launches. It doesn't speak well of Square-Enix if they end up having to do that, much as Titanfall was not really an example of a well-managed game.

Seedge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRr8jVrMlJU There was even a PS4 trailer for it.

So this exclusivity happened in the past couple of months.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Seedge posted:

Xbox, seems it took time to nail down a timed exclusive.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

MrLonghair posted:

Remedy hinted of live demo of Quantum Break coming at least

I can't wait to see infamous 4: time stop powers with time stop storyline and see Sony sued by Remedy and Microsoft.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

How much time until the sony conference starts? I need to cook me fuckin dinner.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Seedge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQB57sDSmM

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol at underperforming game now being exclusive to an underperforming console. brilliant move

This too. Haha it's pretty bad business to not have it on ps4 or pc, but whatever. I didn't play the first one because I just didn't really care about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cat doter posted:

How much time until the sony conference starts? I need to cook me fuckin dinner.

It's tomorrow.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's tomorrow.

Ah so it's not the constant stream of conferences like E3? Good.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ImpAtom posted:

It's tomorrow.

Wrong.

limaCAT posted:

Sony: (August 12) 10 AM PDT, 13 PM EST, 18 PM LONDON, 19 PM BERLIN (August 13) 2 AM TOKYO.
IGN news
Usually sony shows more stuff that couldn't fit the E3, last year they opened with the PS4 UI and Killzone, and had a ton of indie games. They also made last year's cameraman commit seppukku.

Well, right in some ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Wrong.

Well, right in some ways.

Huh, my mistake then.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Despite the marketing speak all signs and sanity point to the next Tomb Raider just being a timed exclusive; the series has always sold more on Playstation, and the PC fanbase has also been there since the start. To completely drop their two most reliable fanbases and go 100% exclusive would be Xbone reveal levels of suicidal stupidity.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mman posted:

To drop their two most reliable fanbases and go 100% exclusive would be Xbone reveal levels of suicidal stupidity.

Yes, Microsoft is dumb with their money.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mman posted:

Despite the marketing speak all signs and sanity point to the next Tomb Raider just being a timed exclusive; the series has always sold more on Playstation, and the PC fanbase has also been there since the start. To completely drop their two most reliable fanbases and go 100% exclusive would be Xbone reveal levels of suicidal stupidity.
I wouldn't go that far...the entire thing reeks of Microsoft paying a LOT of money to lock it in as an exclusive.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
24 hour clock format and you use PM/AM, gj

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

MinibarMatchman posted:

Just imagine how much MS must have offered then to make this a worthwhile business move.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Exclusives are killing gaming, look at all those exclusives! :argh:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

notZaar posted:

Just imagine how much MS must have offered then to make this a worthwhile business move.

I doubt it will be.

Internet gamers realize it's timed, and are willing to wait. We have access to threads that'll stay up, and word of mouth marketing to remind us it exists long after launch. For most of us, March/Junish 2016 isn't that bad of a wait to play TR2.

To bad we make up less then 10% of the total gaming population, and the other 90% is dumb as loving rocks. As soon as ads stop playing for TR2, they won't know it exists, and when it sneaks out a year later, none of them will want to buy it because of xyz other game they are playing. That's if Microsoft/SE are even willing to run another strip of ads for it's 2016 multiplatform launch ( haha no, it's just going to show up on shelves all of a sudden. ).

TR2 will sell worse then TR1, even when it goes multiplatform, and SE will use it as an excuse to kill Crystal/the reboots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So is the Microsoft conference over now?

• Locked thread