Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moltke
May 13, 2009

eatenmyeyes posted:

He referred to Edwards as "Our boy". Their maid's response also seemed vague. I'm pretty sure they were flirting with that "You know I can't resist" exchange.

He was also staring right at her rear end as she walked out of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Whispering Machines posted:

Interview here with Juliet Rylance (Cornelia) goes into this more. Her father is pretty progressive for the era, saw potential in Algernon, sent him off to the best schools, and they pretty much see each other as siblings. I do love seeing Thackery be a total dick and I think his story is gonna get more interesting, but I think Algernon's gonna have the most interesting story overall.

Also, we need more of the snarky nun.

I thought the name looked familiar. Her step father is Mark Rylance,a famous London stage actor and she apparently also worked with the Shakespeare's globe company.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
What is that multi-tiered rack with what looks like pears on it in the operating theater?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just got to binge watch the first three episodes on HBO, which I'm sure was an attempt to get people to sign up for CineMax. I really enjoyed it. It was fast paced and has interesting characters, good actors and an interesting plot line. I have no idea if it's in any way historically accurate but, it's convincing and interesting. But, I'm not gonna sign up for CineMax. My cable bill is already too high and one show is not worth the added expense. I'm disappointed that I'm not seeing any other option for viewing it either; no Hulu or Amazon Prime. Too bad, because I would have enjoyed following it.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Tuff Ghost posted:

What is that multi-tiered rack with what looks like pears on it in the operating theater?

The sponge rack? Behind Gallinger and the nurse in slide two is what you're referring to, right?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Anyone else catch last nights episode? There was a lot more of Awesome Nun and Cleary, Algernon putting a patient in a seriously threatening position to prove his point (and also piss off Gallinger and Thackery), a brutally painful botched abortion aftermath, and some flashbacks to Thackery and his mentor getting loaded at a party and being all "poo poo yeah, let's go to MORE PARTIES."

Also, whoever mentioned A Young Doctor's Notebook- it's up on Netflix if anyone is interested. I think I'll give that a shot as well.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I really enjoyed this last episode. Algernon's barely controlled anger is really great, Clive Owen is a tremendous dickhead, the soundtrack again was amazing. Everyone should be watching this show.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Every show needs to use this camera. Of all the good looking shows, this might be the best looking. The tracking shot into the mouse fight was crazy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that was probably my favorite episode. They managed to really expand pretty much every character and storyline. In fact I think literally every character got at least one meaningful scene. It seemed a bit out of character, but it was pretty neat to see Thackery almost respect Algernon for his crazy bluff/maneuver.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

This is a really good show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Watching the show, it almost seemed like having Algernon tell the surgeons what to do was more humiliating then actually letting him work.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, the hospital director is such an amazing rear end in a top hat :allears: "Oh, I pretended to cremate your husband so I could sell off his corpse. That'll be 5$ cremation fee, please"

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

pentyne posted:

Watching the show, it almost seemed like having Algernon tell the surgeons what to do was more humiliating then actually letting him work.

Nope because that way you're not letting a dirty black touch a white patient with his dirty black hands.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Did Gallinger infect his infant kid with meningitis after his knuckle/hand/finger brushed those sores from the dude with the rat bites? The camera changed angles to clearly show a close-up of him making contact with his right hand to grab the clipboard while be distracted with Algernon and then later in the episode he was using the same hand all over his kid's face. I hope he washed his hands before he left work :ohdear:

This is definitely one of the best shows on TV right now.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yes, that's exactly what happened. It wasn't super subtle to begin with but they really made sure to lead the viewer attention twice when they had his wife say "MAKE SURE YOU WASH UP FOR DINNER HONEY" when hes practically shoving his whole hand into the baby's mouth, hahaha

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Algernon is gonna end up saving his kids life and that will change his mind about black people.

If that happens it's the first :rolleyes: race thing this show will have done

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Alergon will probably pull another "oh I could save your daughters life but man I have this killer headache and I have blurry vision from this fight I was in".

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
Whatever party's doing the effects on this show is amazing. Is there an award for realistic rat smashing?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im actually entrapped by nurse Elkins and Thackery. I dont know what direction their relationship is going to take, tragic or uplifting. I can see her looking at Thackery as a broken man that she can "fix", or is at least concerned with the well being of his soul. OR on the other hand I can see her becoming the gateway to Thackery losing his last vestiges of humanity by killing her.

Is anyone else noticing Thackery's subtle mood changes as his 5-Hour Energy shots peter out? He very good at portraying a coke head.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 8, 2014

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Before the show was out an interview with one of them said they have a "very inappropriate relationship" and that the cocaine injection was the tip of the iceberg so presumably they have some drug fueled orgies at the opium dens or something. There's a bit more in an interview with Hewson here.

"The Knick Star Eve Hewson on Being Bono's Daughter and Injecting Cocaine Into Clive Owen's Penis" is also a fantastic title for an article.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Before the show was out an interview with one of them said they have a "very inappropriate relationship" and that the cocaine injection was the tip of the iceberg so presumably they have some drug fueled orgies at the opium dens or something. There's a bit more in an interview with Hewson here.

"The Knick Star Eve Hewson on Being Bono's Daughter and Injecting Cocaine Into Clive Owen's Penis" is also a fantastic title for an article.

The dynamic between them is amazing; especially the scene where she decides to follow him into the opium den. What was she thinking; was it to understand him better, to help him, to get more damning evidence against him? She's not a stalker exactly; more like a moth drawn to the flame. Got to love this show.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
It seemed really obvious to me where the Typhoid sub plot is going after I randomly read an article on Typhoid Mary last week. I just googled The Knick Typhoid Mary and reviewers who got the first 7 episodes before the public pretty much confirmed it. Then I watched the NOVA episode on Typhoid Mary (which randomly has Anthony Bourdain in it) and one of the dishes they specifically talked about her making was homemade ice cream. Which made the scene with the health inspector almost eating some fresh ice cream more interesting.

For some reason I thought the guy bitten by tons of rats had rabies, not meningitis.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Well that former piece of information suddenly helps me understand why I find this actress' presence infuriating!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nepotism in the entertainment industry? Inconceivable!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No you goon, it's because of her big round bono dome being topped off by those horrible turn-of-the-century napkin hats.

Amaterasu posted:

It seemed really obvious to me where the Typhoid sub plot is going after I randomly read an article on Typhoid Mary last week. I just googled The Knick Typhoid Mary and reviewers who got the first 7 episodes before the public pretty much confirmed it. Then I watched the NOVA episode on Typhoid Mary (which randomly has Anthony Bourdain in it) and one of the dishes they specifically talked about her making was homemade ice cream. Which made the scene with the health inspector almost eating some fresh ice cream more interesting.
Well that certainly explains why the obnoxious inspector launched into such a purposeful dialogue about gross pieces of poo poo not washing their hands. Ew.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

radical meme posted:

The dynamic between them is amazing; especially the scene where she decides to follow him into the opium den. What was she thinking; was it to understand him better, to help him, to get more damning evidence against him? She's not a stalker exactly; more like a moth drawn to the flame. Got to love this show.

I think he appreciates that she's not a moron and does her job well, and can be trusted both in the theater and out of it. He's gradually warming up to her. I think she's captivated by how someone can be powerful and brilliant but also secretly crippled by addictions. You know, the makings of a stable, healthy relationship!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Great show so far. Hopefully it'll only get better. Really enjoy the look of it and seeing the (supposedly fairly accurate) evolution of medicine is fascinating.

I'm glad almost every network is trying some sort of 'prestige' historical or modern drama now because most of them are turning out pretty drat good.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

This show is 100x better than The Strain and yet I've posted way more in that shows thread. Mostly because it's an entertaining trainwreck, but whatever.

The guy who runs The Burns Archive was medical advisor on the show. Obviously not ever detail is gonna be perfect, but it seems like they were going for accuracy over anachronistic style. Other than the soundtrack, of course.

wikipedia posted:

The Burns Archive is the world’s largest private collection of early medical photography and historic photographs, housing over 1,000,000 photographs.[1][2] Established in New York City in 1977, The Burns Archive is noted for its iconic historical images, including medical photography, anatomical and medical oddities, post-mortem photography, and original photographs depicting the darker side of life: death, disease, disaster, crime, racism, revolution, riots, and war.[3]

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I'm about to start episode 4 and I gotta say, this series is way better than I though it would be. I don't really watch medical shows so I stayed away from it at 1st, but it's a cool period piece.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This show is 100x better than The Strain and yet I've posted way more in that shows thread. Mostly because it's an entertaining trainwreck, but whatever.

The guy who runs The Burns Archive was medical advisor on the show. Obviously not ever detail is gonna be perfect, but it seems like they were going for accuracy over anachronistic style. Other than the soundtrack, of course.

I love the soundtrack in this show. It is very unique.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

radical meme posted:

I love the soundtrack in this show. It is very unique.

It kind of reminds me of the Pi soundtrack, but that is a good thing. Specifically the part from :15 to :39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k02KIOUU8Hw

I can't wait for the soundtrack album to come out.
Edit:
http://www.amazon.com/Knick-Original-Soundtrack-digital-booklet/
Apparently it came out a month ago!

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 11, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

It kind of reminds me of the Pi soundtrack, but that is a good thing. Specifically the part from :15 to :39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k02KIOUU8Hw

I can't wait for the soundtrack album to come out.
Edit:
http://www.amazon.com/Knick-Original-Soundtrack-digital-booklet/
Apparently it came out a month ago!

Man, what is up with TV shows having such fantastic soundtracks lateley? The one for the UK series Utopia is also spectacular.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
A little bit jarring. I believe the scene with Herman in the whorehouse when he's approached by the officer was shot earlier in the season. Herman mysteriously had his blown up cheek from the tooth torture return and then disappear in later scenes.

Still love the show, but you can see some weaknesses here and there. They do a drat good job making the show feel very premium.

The music is also fantastic and kinda like something out of Tron.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Amaterasu posted:

For some reason I thought the guy bitten by tons of rats had rabies, not meningitis.

I called it by episode 3.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have been watching the show from the start, but i could never find a thread about it, so i assumed there wasn't one.
As others have mentioned, the music is really great for this show.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001
Gotta say, I loved the civil war era surgeon/barber in the intro... "None of my patients that lived ever complained!"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

No you goon, it's because of her big round bono dome being topped off by those horrible turn-of-the-century napkin hats.

Well that certainly explains why the obnoxious inspector launched into such a purposeful dialogue about gross pieces of poo poo not washing their hands. Ew.

One of the notable things about Typhoid Mary was that she absolutely refused to believe she was spreading the disease and also never washed her hands when working with food. She would work at a place for a few months, leave when people started getting typhoid, repeat the process ad nauseam. You can't get more "genuine risk to public health" then that.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent posted:

Man, what is up with TV shows having such fantastic soundtracks lateley? The one for the UK series Utopia is also spectacular.

Is this worth watching and is there some way to watch it in the U.S. without buying a DVD?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Utopia is loving brilliant. No idea how to watch it legally in America though. And the soundtrack is great, here's some:

http://youtu.be/_ZYVb8Q5i9w

Edit: oh the full soundtrack is here: http://youtu.be/SsJXfkOlCLw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
DVD or :filez: are the only options.

• Locked thread