Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How did cocaine work as an anaesthesia compared to the drugs we have today? Initially i wondered why the patients weren't getting addicted to it, but i assume that it is okay in a few small necessary doses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oasx posted:

How did cocaine work as an anaesthesia compared to the drugs we have today? Initially i wondered why the patients weren't getting addicted to it, but i assume that it is okay in a few small necessary doses?

It was incredibly useful, and is still used today in very specific situations, like nasal surgery. When injected directly into the site it works fantastically well as an anesthetic but given its recreational use its so highly regulated there is only one company in the US allowed to work with/process/prepare it for medical use.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
I hope Lucy and Cornelia are using whatever version of horrible birth control was available in 1900.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

It shows, there was some great camera work & editing in that last episode; not to mention the rest of the series.

My favorite bit from a piece on him I read a while back was how on each of his movie, at the end of the day, he would screen a a rough edit of the day's shooting for the cast and crew in the local hotel bar. How cool is that?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I loved the weird, frantic editing in the medical lecture/conference scene with Thack all coked up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The camerawork during that surgeon's conference was pretty great. The way it cut back and forth so quickly, often zoomed in just a little too much, gave a great impression of how wound up and hyper Thackery must have been feeling. Same later on when he's dealing with early withdrawal. Soderbergh is really drat good at this.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
So, who's doing the odds on Nurse Elkins dying of Strychnine poisoning? :smith:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Did she drink the strychnine mix? I thought that was just Thack?

Not sure about her dying from that, but I could definitely see her getting dragged down into Thackery's poo poo and that killing her or some other terrible thing.

I find I keep stopping the show just to gawk at some of the shots. Algernon and Cornelia in Algernon's apartment, the lanterns on the table while Thack is drifting off, him looking over his shoulder after finding Christiansen and seeing Lucy there in the middle of the group.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

So uh... why did he take the strychnine? It's a straight up poison, 2 mg is lethal and kills you terribly. Did he expect to get high from it?

e: oh, apparently in very small doses it's a stimulant.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The Knick: Steven Soderbergh's one-man puppet show

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oasx posted:

Like pentyne said, things like cocaine and heroin are still used today because they just are that effective.

Pretty much all painkillers and anaesthesia are incredibly addictive but you also don't just get addicted to something by taking it once, even in a recreational sense. I've worked and work with people who did and do some pretty hard drugs and unless you were there beside them when they were taking them you just wouldn't guess at it. I know this because I've also worked with a couple people who actually were addicted and were literally smoking crack in the restroom. You do have to be very careful prescribing or using them of course, especially in medical situations, because "pain" is actually still a pretty nebulous concept that no one has any way of measuring beyond asking the patient. We know you definitely wouldn't want to be a awake or aware of the area for surgery, amputation, or any other invasive procedure by beyond that its guesswork, albeit educated guesswork.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Not knowing much about drugs or drug abuse, i guess it was just my naive mind that was surprised to hear them use cocaine. Though i thought that unless you get near morphine levels of painkillers, that the drugs today are generally safe.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
There really can't be enough good things said about that conference scene. I loved the sustained shot on Thackeray's face during the surgery as well. Soderberg really knows how to make the audience uncomfortable.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
So is Thack going to get/stay clean or go back as soon it gets in stock?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Clive Owen is really amazing in this, isn't he? Best thing's he's done since Children of Men.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Apart from Children of Men, this is the only thing i have seen Clive Owen in.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Oasx posted:

Apart from Children of Men, this is the only thing i have seen Clive Owen in.

The BWM commericals, The Hire from the early 2000s are where he made his name and worth checking out; particularly the one with James Brown and Gary Oldman as the devil. Also Closer is a fantastic film that's pretty much just a play with the 4 name actors.

Edited with a link to the video; R.I.P. Tony Scott.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I first noticed him in The Hire series as mentioned above, he's also the hitman sent after Jason Bourne in the first movie.

I seem to remember his name being brought up a lot in discussion as a possible James Bond before Craig got the role.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shoot em' Up is a fun time all in all.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

So is Thack going to get/stay clean or go back as soon it gets in stock?

He'll go back.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Venal Health Inspector has solidified his position as the objectively best character on the show IMHO.
edit: wrong adjective, apparently.

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 10, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

Slovenly Health Inspector has solidified his position as the objectively best character on the show IMHO.

"Slovenly" is the wrong word. In a word of filth and disease he's probably the only person besides the doctors and nurses following a strict regime of personal hygiene. Typhoid Mary spread the disease so quickly because she refused to wash her hands when preparing food, claiming it wouldn't matter, and that attitude probably wasn't to far from the norm at the time.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

pentyne posted:

"Slovenly" is the wrong word. In a word of filth and disease he's probably the only person besides the doctors and nurses following a strict regime of personal hygiene. Typhoid Mary spread the disease so quickly because she refused to wash her hands when preparing food, claiming it wouldn't matter, and that attitude probably wasn't to far from the norm at the time.

Yeah, he's more 'uncouth Health Inspector' than slovenly.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What happened there at the end? I didn't catch what they said.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
What, the dousing her genitals with cocaine part?

This episode was brutal. They're probably going to kill someone off next episode. It's like, they shoved every depressing thing they can in this episode short of death, so in the finale they're gonna off someone :(

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That was definitely the most dismal, depressing episode yet. Holy gently caress.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Feels bad man :(.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Whispering Machines posted:

What, the dousing her genitals with cocaine part?

This episode was brutal. They're probably going to kill someone off next episode. It's like, they shoved every depressing thing they can in this episode short of death, so in the finale they're gonna off someone :(

It looked like baby number two was dead, so they even had that going for the episode. :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Did that doctor's wife kill the baby by drowning or did she snap after the child died?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

pentyne posted:

Did that doctor's wife kill the baby by drowning or did she snap after the child died?

She went nuts from the first baby's death, and as a result of her psychosis, drowned the adopted baby in ice water. Then her husband called for the loony bin people to come take her away later in the evening.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Well, at least she'll be taken care of by professionals, right? :ohdear:

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
It's John Hodgman! :)

Oh he's there to restrain the wife to take her to Bellevue or somewhere horrible :(

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Finally, Hodgman's New Sincerity-brand ironic facial hair came in good use.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
That was just...wow. I loved the humming when they took the wife away. And god drat this show looks amazing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't care that much for this episode, i don't find the cocaine storyline particularly interesting, nor the Edwards/Robertson affair for that matter.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like many other people it seems I certainly wasn't expecting John Hodgman, Eccentric Billionaire, to make an appearance.

Everything is going to go very, very wrong soon, isn't it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oasx posted:

I didn't care that much for this episode, i don't find the cocaine storyline particularly interesting, nor the Edwards/Robertson affair for that matter.

I'm struggling to see the endgame. The affair has few outcomes, the only positive being they cut ties and she makes an random excuse not to marry creepy father in law's son. The cocaine story was a long time coming, because addicts can stay functional as long as they have a steady supply of the drug, but once that runs out they goes apeshit trying to score a fix, as evidenced by Thackery trying to jump onto the miracle health cure bandwagon after his arrest.

It begs the question as to whether or not Thackery can be a brilliant/effective without the drug. Edwards had a really amusing dismissal when the Nurse tried to say that maybe the cocaine helped Thackery be a 'genius' while Edwards just points out that an addict is an addict no matter how well they function.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

It's of note that the person that Owen's character was based on lived his life addicted to Cocaine and Morphine. Life long addictions were not uncommon at the time. This episode was particularly brutal, especially the end as he's just dragging her down into his pit.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I have a feeling the nurse dies of a drug OD in the finale. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pentyne posted:

The cocaine story was a long time coming, because addicts can stay functional as long as they have a steady supply of the drug, but once that runs out they goes apeshit trying to score a fix, as evidenced by Thackery trying to jump onto the miracle health cure bandwagon after his arrest.

My problem with it was that nothing really happened, nobody tried to get him off his drug addiction, and there isn't enough cocaine around to satisfy his need. So i am just afraid we are going to see the same thing happen next episode.

• Locked thread