Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

TheRationalRedditor posted:

and they're laying the racial tension on a bit thick at every available opportunity

This was annoying me until I realized, hey, it's 1900s new york. A black man at that time experienced racial tension at every available opportunity (just like today!) so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

pentyne posted:

At the time it had only been a few decades from black men in NY having to worry about being abducted and sold into slavery in the South.

The one doctor trying to make friends with Algernon is extremely progressive given the social climate at the time. Of course he's the only doctor at the Knick who is willing to admit that the new black doctor from Europe who's trained under some of the best in the world should be given due credit for his background, but the other 2 will probably make racist comments for the rest of the season.

Rest of the shows life probably. If you're gonna have a black character during this time period you are going to have to explode/discuss racism. Having all the white people instantly accept him wouldn't have fit the time period.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Solution: white people only or TVIV will pitch a fit.

Also only women that support the leading male roles or they're cunts.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You can only talk about the problems faced by black people if you also talk about the problems faced by white people

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I thought it was because they weren't supposed to have dissected bodies so when they're done with the ones they have the burn them so as not to get caught with it

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I wish the nun would have more scenes than just "should I call a doctor?" "No doctors are dumb"

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

pentyne posted:

Watching the show, it almost seemed like having Algernon tell the surgeons what to do was more humiliating then actually letting him work.

Nope because that way you're not letting a dirty black touch a white patient with his dirty black hands.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Algernon is gonna end up saving his kids life and that will change his mind about black people.

If that happens it's the first :rolleyes: race thing this show will have done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bertie's dad won't be impressed with the published paper because his name is 3rd when it should be first because of some dumb reason.

• Locked thread