Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
Specifically looking for some sports ones but anything interesting will do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

the stone cold show

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

gently caress sports, history of rome

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the dollop

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009
Hardcore History

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chinaman7000 posted:

the stone cold show

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Quirks and Quarks
Radiolab
How to do Everything

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
the way radiolab edits poo poo makes it completely unlistenable

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Uhh yeah dude

/Thread

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
countdown to nightvale

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Radiolab is the worst poo poo in the world

Listen to Car Talk

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

f plus
sinica
backstory with the american history guys
stuff you missed in history class
point of inquiry
skeptoid
monstertalk

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
Monday Morning Podcast
Davey Mac Sports Program

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
the joe rogan one is very good. i think they are all on youtube, too.

LurkBot
Jan 4, 2007
Something has gone horribly wrong.

Don't miss episode 24: "Sharing the Credit-IRS Rules on Section 36 Provision". That poo poo is wild.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skeptiod's probably done for a while because Dunning just got a year in prison for some serious e-bay referral fraud.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
The Best Show on WFMU (if that counts as a podcast)

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

all I listen to is This American Life and Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

smokyprogg posted:

the way radiolab edits poo poo makes it completely unlistenable

I never really considered this, could you explain? (Do you mean the A/B back and forth, use of music and sound effects, sort of like that?)

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
joe rogan, history of rome, philosophy bites, classic loveline

dan carlin's stuff is okay, but not as good as it's hyped up to be

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the famous goon-made Nightvale is popular. prolly the most successful project from a goon ever

e; Radiolabs was ok on radio KQED 'cause they play it during weekends when everything else is poo poo like prarie home companion or car talk, but it has some really annoying ~2 spooky for 4 u~ cheesey music and dramatic inserts and poo poo that are really annoying. they did do a couple good pieces like the ones on origin of AIDs and Syphillis Mary or w/e disease she had.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 8, 2014

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

history podcasts are for casuals, listen to ebooks instead

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Skeptiod's probably done for a while because Dunning just got a year in prison for some serious e-bay referral fraud.

holy poo poo :eyepop:

i'm really blown away by this goddamn

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dunning seemed like such a fuckin' stand up guy holy mackerel. i've listened to every skeptoid and i'm actually profoundly disappointed

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Chris de Sperg posted:

history podcasts are for casuals, listen to ebooks instead

ebooks are for plebs who were never able to study history correctly, podcasts are for cool dudes that just enjoy a little refresher every now and then

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
improv4humans w/ matt besser is almost always hilarious

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what
Radiolab: Usually science topics with a philosophic, story-based approach. Amazing use of sound.
Stuff You Missed in History Class: Name says it. Covers interesting history topics, some well known but not understood and some more obscure.
Stuff Mom Never Told You: Deals with issues relating to Gender, Sex, and various topics without being preachy. Has some good Sports one from that angle.
Stuff You Should Know: 600+ 30 to 40 minute podcasts on a WIDE range of topics. Like from Play-Doh to Spam to Amputation to Taxes.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

joe rogan is dumb as dogshit and i can't believe anyone that isn't a mentally disabled stoner enjoys him

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

mcvey posted:

Uhh yeah dude

/Thread

this is the one you need to listen to

seatbelts

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Fandyien posted:

joe rogan is dumb as dogshit and i can't believe anyone that isn't a mentally disabled stoner enjoys him

you're in luck that's his sole demographic

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

uhh yeah dude

f plus

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Someguy posted:

ebooks are for plebs who were never able to study history correctly, podcasts are for cool dudes that just enjoy a little refresher every now and then
american thinks reading books is for plebs wow what a shock

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Chris de Sperg posted:

american thinks reading books is for plebs wow what a shock

lol you said 'listen to ebooks'

sorry you were too poor to afford to be able to study history at an accredited school like a normal person, I guess

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Three Olives Ultimate Podcast List

Diane Rehm: Panel, a little bit of everything, mostly politics, science and current events
Tribcast: Texas Politics
NPR Market Place - Business News
NPR Think: Mostly interviews about non-fiction books
Slate Political Gabfest - Mostly US Politics, some international
Rachel Maddow: Politics & Current Events
Fresh Air: Interviews, Mostly Arts & Entertainment
This American Life: Just good
Savage Love: Dan Savage yelling at idiots about sex and relationships
99% Invisible: Architecture and Design
NPR On Point: Panel discussions on current events mostly
NPR Planet Money: Economics
Radiolab: Mostly sciency stuff

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Someguy posted:

lol you said 'listen to ebooks'
it's like reading a book except it's slower and easier to combine with other activities, you should try it

Someguy posted:

sorry you were too poor to afford to be able to study history at an accredited school like a normal person, I guess
lol

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp

Three Olives posted:

Boring poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fandyien posted:

dunning seemed like such a fuckin' stand up guy holy mackerel. i've listened to every skeptoid and i'm actually profoundly disappointed

He used to do web development and found this one guy who had a scam where a banner ad script would drop a cookie that counted as a referral for that ad any time a user went to amazon or ebay. He tried to reverse engineer it but couldn't, so he blackmailed the guy into sharing it by threatening to call the FBI. FBI figures it out anyway after Dunning clears like a million from some lame amazon ads, then bam--prison time.

If nothing else, this makes me furious that every 10-minute episode has like 30 seconds of him begging for money when he's rich as gently caress from being a con man. If you've ever been to his site, there is a high chance you got one of his stuffed cookies. Clear your cache if you ever try to click-thru for somebody else. He is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Chris de Sperg posted:

it's like reading a book except it's slower and easier to combine with other activities, you should try it

why would I want to hear dry accounts of events I've already studied in great detail in a professional setting?

the reason people enjoy postcasts (besides the source material) is that the person presenting it usually is interesting and adds their own flare, hth

• Locked thread