Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
maybe he's just rolling coal passive aggressively. gently caress man, I dont know. Why do you have to ask all these questions I don't know the loving answers to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

that seal just crawled over yellow snow.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Captain Candiru posted:

Basically OP they aren't driving their car but they don't know how to actually take care of their car so they just run it for an hour because they know that it does SOMETHING to prevent things from getting bad but they don't know what. It's also really low effort.

this is actually true. in reality, the dude is probably just keeping his battery charged in the most wasteful way possible and justifying it in his head with "its good to let it run every once in a while". well, it is mostly, but im going to go ahead and guess its really about his battery

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
if he actually drives the car other times during the week then he is just some dumb rear end who thinks he is doing good. he also probably had an unhealthy obsession with his car and a very boring personal life.

if he wants to keep the battery good he should use a battery tender. if he wants to keep his poo poo oiled up he needs to drive it so it revs higher than idle, otherwise he is probably gumming it up. the only reasonable reason to do it is if your a/c leaks, cause it can sometimes be prevented if you blast the a/c every few days to keep the seals lubed (since your a/c health isn't dependent on higher than idle rpms like your engine)

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
there is an old guy next door to me who will just come outside and inspect his car with great detail every day (including looking in his trunk for a good 10 minutes). I just assume he has no life and wants a reason to see his neighbors

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax
I had a neighbour who did the same thing, but he'd hold a wrench while doing so. He had some Camaro or something and he liked to pretend to work on it. Sometimes he'd get under it and drain the oil.

I later learned through another neighbour that the only thing wrong with that Camaro was a cracked oil pan, but for nebulous reasons the guy didn't want to replace it. So he'd patch it with RTV or JB weld, drive it till the hot oil ruined the patch and then he'd park it for a few weeks again.

In short, your neighbour is an idiot.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

can all your posts in the future be in this format thanks nigga

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i start the motorhome and run it for a half hour every week. you dont want your seals drying up or anything like that

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
my old subaru had a stubborn air bubble in the coolant last winter and i basically had to do what ur describing until i was sure that it was out and the temp gauge wasnt going to spike the next morning when heading to work...so maybe it was that

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
i think ur neighbour is gay its a gay thing like a mating call

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
car culture is a weird thing. it's full of idiots.

professionally I'm stuck dealing with them all the time but outside of work I pretend to know nothing just to avoid them

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Lufiron posted:

car culture is a weird thing. it's full of idiots.

professionally I'm stuck dealing with them all the time but outside of work I pretend to know nothing just to avoid them

Yeah, that's unique to car culture.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Running the car in park idling it may not actually charge the battery - it depends on the idling output of the alternator whether it produces enough to charge the battery (on top of what is being used to generate the sparks to keep the motor running). So possibly all he's doing is running the battery down (when he starts it) and then it runs off the alternator but doesn't charge the battery (at all, or much) while it sits there idling.

A ten or fifteen minute drive at speeds of like 30-40mph or more will put way more charge on the battery than just idling it. And as others have said, also put less wear on the engine.

A car that is just sitting for a long time should be raised off the tires (to avoid developing flat spots), have a full gas tank with fuel stabilizer (avoid water vapor in the tank by having it full, stabilizer keeps the fuel from breaking down), disconnect the battery terminals from the car, and hook the battery up to a trickle charger/battery tender. You can store a car like that for quite a while without much degradation.

isokarhu
Apr 20, 2006

Salmonella is so cute!
Neighbor have kids? They could be playing with the buttons and remote starting it and it just shuts off after a given amount of time.

Friend of mine found has car on 4 or 5 nights in a row before he figured out how it was being turned on.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

bitchtard posted:

Yeah, that's unique to car culture.

let me elaborate, car culture is consider cool by the average person, yet full of idiots. everyone's got a fav car.

everything else is nerdy horse poo poo, still full of idiots but not likely to get you laid like a fast flashy car would

even so called enthusiasts know nothing, they just wanna be down, unlike every other hobby

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 9, 2014

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Ask him for some duck butter

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

lol

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
while you are looking out the window watching your neighbor's car your neighbor sneaks in your back door and bones your wife. i'm sorry you had to find out this way :(

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
He is just a loving idiot.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
How long is too long for a car to sit without running? Sometimes I rideshare to work and kick back on the weekend, my ultra manly 2001 cavalier sometimes doesn't run for a week or two. Am I doing bad things to my steel horse?

e: VVV Thanks, but I meant like without running at all, not just idling.

What Fun fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 9, 2014

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

What Fun posted:

How long is too long for a car to sit without running? Sometimes I rideshare to work and kick back on the weekend, my ultra manly 2001 cavalier sometimes doesn't run for a week or two. Am I doing bad things to my steel horse?

a few minutes is ok, but try not to let it go longer than an hour

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax

What Fun posted:

e: VVV Thanks, but I meant like without running at all, not just idling.

A week or two in temperate weather should be A OK. Personally I'd invest in a battery disconnect switch if I were to leave a car parked for more than a week. If you have winter, you will want to run your car every 2-3 days for a few minutes, unless you have both a battery maintainer and a coolant heater.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

oh poo poo turn off this engine a piston busted up through the head

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

friend has a super modded 300zx that's just been sitting for 10 years, I hate to think about what kind of shape it's in now

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Pookum posted:

He is just a loving idiot.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

just parked. Nothing drained. probably everything rubber is toast. rust? Dried up fluids? idk but it probably won't be pretty.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

ReptileChillock posted:

A week or two in temperate weather should be A OK. Personally I'd invest in a battery disconnect switch if I were to leave a car parked for more than a week. If you have winter, you will want to run your car every 2-3 days for a few minutes, unless you have both a battery maintainer and a coolant heater.

Thank you sincerely. Very rarely a full week goes by without me using the car, I'm trying to run this thing into the ground so if that was going to hurt it bad I'd want to avoid that. I'll be more on top of it during winter now for sure.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

What kind of car is it, OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Captain Candiru posted:

Basically OP they aren't driving their car but they don't know how to actually take care of their car so they just run it for an hour because they know that it does SOMETHING to prevent things from getting bad but they don't know what. It's also really low effort.

• Locked thread