Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I really like how LP Bot is getting an honest to goodness character arc in these segments.

I also like how much stuff we missed even in the "successful" final goon hivemind run. Like making out with like half the characters in the game, apparently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Rincewind posted:

I also like how much stuff we missed even in the "successful" final goon hivemind run. Like making out with like half the characters in the game, apparently!

I agree completely. The game is considerably deeper and richer than I'd have suspected at first glance. It's been a total blast.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I love Vito's domings so much.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Hedera Helix posted:

I love Vito's domings so much.

I love LP Bot's domings too.

EXECUTING DOME.EXE

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So is LP Bot going to dome bang absolutely everyone before this LP is over?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Ramos posted:

I think Charity is the first person to just walk away from the party guest in the middle of a makeout session. There have been other interruptions, and Mia once kicked the chat out of the sauna before they could get too close, but Charity voluntarily gave up the party guest to pursue something else. She's the only one to use sex as a means to an end rather than an end of itself.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Ah, I always wince when we get sucked into the sex-dimension. In this case I prefer to believe that Charity was pressing her face up against LP Bot's camera-aperatus.

Speaking of the Bot, SGF's gonna get a knock on the door from the Turing Police if he's not careful.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RoeCocoa posted:

I think Charity is the first person to just walk away from the party guest in the middle of a makeout session. There have been other interruptions, and Mia once kicked the chat out of the sauna before they could get too close, but Charity voluntarily gave up the party guest to pursue something else. She's the only one to use sex as a means to an end rather than an end of itself.

Charity confirmed as the actual protagonist.

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.

Ramos posted:

THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD SEX WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE SEX I WILL HAVE IN THIS LET'S PLAY.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I remember the old CRPGs that had text gamebooks, where the game files would tell you "consult entry 48" and you'd look it up, would often include red herring text in the gamebooks so that just reading them wouldn't give away the plot.

I wonder if MODE is doing a similar thing with those video clips. Probably not, but you never know.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Prurient Squid posted:

Ah, I always wince when we get sucked into the sex-dimension. In this case I prefer to believe that Charity was pressing her face up against LP Bot's camera-aperatus.

Speaking of the Bot, SGF's gonna get a knock on the door from the Turing Police if he's not careful.

When these scenes happen I always wonder what it's like for the actors to seductively bump their faces against a camera lens as they pretend to make out with it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Glazius posted:

I remember the old CRPGs that had text gamebooks, where the game files would tell you "consult entry 48" and you'd look it up, would often include red herring text in the gamebooks so that just reading them wouldn't give away the plot.

My favorite example is the Infocom game "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which at various points told you to look up "footnote X." Of course this was an invitation to see what all the footnotes were, so you typed "footnote 1", "footnote 2", etc. Eventually one would read "Isn't it fun reading through all the footnotes?"

Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW
Hope this gets finished soon I'm really curious as to how this game ends. You're so close OP don't give up now!

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The prophet of EDOM was thwarted by an animated gif. Brilliant.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, a thing just happened. I think that's just about all I can make of that.

You'd think Vito would have the sense to double-check the stuff going on for the final performance, what with him having realized that Ed was loving with him and the like.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm with the reporter, that was a great ending.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I was planning to post this to bump the thread but I'm going to post it anyway - Artists are raising $20,000 on paypal to make three strange old CD-ROM games playable for free online.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That ending was loving brilliant. Still, I must say, the game is continuing to make me hyped for the ending. The story is just so unique and I have to wonder how everything will tie together.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
:golfclap:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Obviously that version of Vito's performance was amazing, but the real highlight was LP Bot's stirring victory over the storyteller.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
"He is, he is" is the highlight of the entire LP. Recognize.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Rincewind posted:

Obviously that version of Vito's performance was amazing, but the real highlight was LP Bot's stirring victory over the storyteller.
"Boo" :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm genuinely sad that The Hoff dying had to be the one ending to his story that had to end up on the overall "winning" run :(

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

I'm genuinely sad that The Hoff dying had to be the one ending to his story that had to end up on the overall "winning" run :(

The perfect party guest would never allow the cops to arrest the host's friends.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
That was amazing. I hope there's more content still in the game, but if this turns out to be the last video, then it's a perfect finale.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

Kibayasu posted:

Well, how else would we learn the valuable lesson that being a awkward wallflower could get you killed.
Truly LP Bot has enriched all our lives, and made us all better party guests. I feel I'm going to be much better equipped for the next party I'm chrashing.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Kibayasu posted:

Well, it may be the perfect run, but not necessarily the winning one. There's still a couple more ways that Vito's performance could've ended up, so we'll also see how things could go differently for Jack and Riel.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

supergreatfriend posted:

Well, it may be the perfect run, but not necessarily the winning one. There's still a couple more ways that Vito's performance could've ended up, so we'll also see how things could go differently for Jack and Riel.

And here I was thinking this was the final run, can't wait to see what comes up next. :dance:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

LP Bot is amazing. It's weird that I get the feeling when he pronounces words, it's as though he's gently trying to correct everyone else's pronunciation.

I wonder if the tv cameras actually got that or if you needed a dome for it to work.

'I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes'.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
I absolutely love this weird little game and you do a fantastic job of showing it off. This LP made my day

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
There's even MORE endings for Vito's performance?

If any of them top that one, it's just going to be magical.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

supergreatfriend posted:

I'm much less sad now!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Kangra posted:

LP Bot is amazing. It's weird that I get the feeling when he pronounces words, it's as though he's gently trying to correct everyone else's pronunciation.

I like that if you turn on youtube's automated Closed Captions, it renders all of LP Bot's speech almost flawlessly.
It can't do that with organic beings, oh no, but LP Bot's perfect silicon tongue...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

supergreatfriend posted:

There's still a couple more ways that Vito's performance could've ended up, so we'll also see how things could go differently for Jack and Riel.

Yay! Much as I love (?) LP-Bot, I'm glad this isn't the end.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
This game continues to get weird long after I've decided (again) that its reached the weirdness threshold. Thanks for fighting through the extra effort to bring us the LP bot run, SGF - as usual, the presentation adds so much more life to the play through of an already entertaining game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That run was great, and LP Bot has touched my soul in ways no mere human being of oily flesh ever could.

Spaxter
Dec 4, 2012

If I don't know you and you haven't got a dome, then that means you're crashing my party. And while that makes you fascinating, it also makes you potentially dangerous.

I like that.
The last two installments were wonderful, inspiring these notes:

• If the play-testers employed had been half as thorough as SGF there would have been far fewer programming errors, like the one that left two key clips out of the game.

• These productions verify what I have suspected, that what this all represents is a significant monumental effort on the part of our host. I love the fact that you can easily deconstruct the thing, open up the folders and watch all the clips independent of any interface, in any order. Many users have resorted to this once frustrated by normal play, imagining the pathways that might have elicited the revealed responses. Only SGF that I know of has taken the next step, actually mapping the choices that can bring them out, discovering thereby those files unmapped. [a measure of how bad the programming was, since even the Macromind Director that was used had a function that told you when files were unlinked].
    I like to think of our great friend (so super!) in a shadowy basement with jury-rigged lamps shining on one wall covered with torn printouts and hand-scrawled notations criss-crossed with multi-color string.
    I am hoping that he or someone familiar with this work some day posts a walk-through, for this and Midnight Stranger, as I am occasionally asked for them and no such documents exist.

• The "The Video" video was especially stark in its contrasting embedded video success, with Charity going from an almost seamless scene in the hotel room to the clip at the mode machine where she was most decidedly post-samurai.

• Very freaky Harlan Ellison linkage. I am hoping it was stimulated by Charity's "boy and his dog" line which was most certainly an Ellison reference (the normal journalistic cliché I started with was "man bites dog" story, but then thought of Harlan).

• I love the phrase "dome bang". It'll probably get some semi-popular usage in a totally different context and I'll always laugh when I hear it.

• Happy to see action on the roof. These would be the only scenes (not counting the Mode Machine, the entry, or the "backstage doors" screen) that have a "game" feel, since they use the rather shoddy greenscreen technology of the time, like most FMV titles of the 90s. I was actually assured that it would all have some of that look, that the black backdrop would all be pulled out of the scenes and replaced with CG spaces. I believe the original intention was to greenscreen everything, but they could only get the one sheet of the real material at a ridiculous rental rate and no one wanted to risk using paint and the artists said they could work with black... so there it went.

• Vito's final performances were supposed to be the special focus of the 'special effects department' but from what I can tell they were forgotten about until the last minute. There is a possible explanation for their rudimentary nature in the technology of the domes themselves, which the party crasher is wearing in this run. The player only experiences any audio-visual augmentation because of the dome, but (like LPbot) cannot experience the more important psychological effects. The sabotaged run has seen Ed set the psycho-meter to high levity, where it should have been supernatural awe. This aspect is so powerful that any accompanying audio-visual data is mere afterthought.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I remember when I stumbled on this thread and initially thinking this was just another goofy old FMV game, but as it's gone on I'm still realizing just how ambitious the whole project was. There's a pretty large cast and a wide variety of ways and orders in which you can interact with them. While I definitely don't think that FMV games should make a comeback, I do think that in this particular case the live acting does mesh well with that old artsy...post modern(?) party style, I don't really know how to describe it. It just feels so '90s it all works perfectly because of it.

There's a part of me that wishes this LP would never end, but I'm still very curious what the remaining runs will be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I haven't gotten around to watching these, and was planning to give the game a few plays first (I have an old-rear end computer that can run it) - how important are the missing clips? Game-ruiningly important?

Spaxter posted:

I like to think of our great friend (so super!) in a shadowy basement with jury-rigged lamps shining on one wall covered with torn printouts and hand-scrawled notations criss-crossed with multi-color string.
A Beautiful MODE.

• Locked thread