Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Kyrie eleison posted:

it's true. pros drink lagers

i love lagers, but im not sure this is true. choice between a lager and an ale and i'll go lager everytime (probably pilser over an ale too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pixaal posted:

gently caress you that poo poo is the awesome the only thing bettered is the oaked version.

pft. the only thing it was, was sharp tasting. not my kind of beer. i kept the bottle i bought tho because its god drat funny and the only reason i bought it

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

sluggo is mad posted:

i love lagers, but im not sure this is true. choice between a lager and an ale and i'll go lager everytime (probably pilser over an ale too).

(a pilsner is a lager!)

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

tiananman posted:

(a pilsner is a lager!)

lol, explains alot

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kyrie eleison posted:

if you drink IPAs you are probably a hipster who drinks beer for the taste or w/e and not a proper alcoholic who gets drunk three times a week

IPAs are for when I want to enjoy what I drink, if I want to just get drunk Svedka is cheap as at $20/handle and taste like water. If I want flavor and "value" Knobb Creep is affordable now that I have an actual job for the last year.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
lagers are more difficult/time-intensive to produce so lots of microbrews don't make them

thats why microbrews suck lol

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag
I don't love them but don't hate them.

However I am convinced that like 75% of people I've met who "Love IPAs!!!" are just assholes who think it's the most esoteric and elite beer. I hate people who are elitist about their beer but would not have come to the same conclusion without idiots around them telling them IPAs were cool.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
all i want is for xxxx gold and bitter to be sold in the US

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

gingerberger posted:

However I am convinced that like 75% of people I've met who "Love IPAs!!!" are just assholes who think it's the most esoteric and elite beer. I hate people who are elitist about their beer but would not have come to the same conclusion without idiots around them telling them IPAs were cool.

beer snobs are the new wine snobs

btw, i bought a sampler earlier and im about down to the last 2 which are both ipas

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

ded posted:

pft. the only thing it was, was sharp tasting. not my kind of beer. i kept the bottle i bought tho because its god drat funny and the only reason i bought it

TBH going from macro commercial lagers to something like Arrogant Bastard is like going from smoking joints to sucking down 20 gallon gravity bong rips.

It's cliche, but guinness is a good "cross-over" beer. It's still super drinkable, low in alcohol and pretty mild in flavor relative to bigger ales, but it definitely breaks in your palate a bit.

Then I'd go to something like Sierra Nevada pale ale. Drink a few cases of that and you can move onto trying bigger DIPAs like Arrogant Bastard.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
i remember telling some noob bearded hipster guy i preferred lagers and he was like 'oh yeah i didnt get IPAs at first either' as if i hadnt drank a thousand IPAs in my time

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well I'm probably going to sound elitist here but Portland is swimming in IPAs. Many bars do rotating monthly and even weekly taps and it's fun trying new, heavy beers all the time which is why I like them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
IPAs rule, drink more beer that isn't bottom of the barrel piss OP

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Kyrie eleison posted:

lagers are more difficult/time-intensive to produce so lots of microbrews don't make them

thats why microbrews suck lol

Check out Victory Brewing Company. They brew mostly lagers, and only a handful of ales. They're one of the bigger micros but they're still dwarfed by brewers like Sam Adams or even Sierra Nevada.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

gingerberger posted:

I don't love them but don't hate them.

The general IPA crowd are dicks I agree. I love IPAs but I'm not going to force it down anyone's throat. Most good ones are also loving expensive. I'll order them at a bar, I'll buy them. I wont yell at you for ordering a bud light if you want one. If there is 20+ things on tap I might ask how nothing else caught your eye, but I wont bitch at you for not enjoying an IPA. If you want to just drink piss water light beers all day go for it. If you want a stout, or full lager great. Whatever you want to drink, really. The only poo poo I view as "weak" is the stuff that tastes like water, bud light, and most other "light" beers.

You are drinking, and chose a beer, you clearly don't care about the calories, if you did you'd order vodka.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
IPAs are a good way to get hungover

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

tiananman posted:

It's cliche, but guinness is a good "cross-over" beer. It's still super drinkable, low in alcohol and pretty mild in flavor relative to bigger ales, but it definitely breaks in your palate a bit.

ill never be ashamed of digging guiness

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Kyrie eleison posted:

i remember telling some noob bearded hipster guy i preferred lagers and he was like 'oh yeah i didnt get IPAs at first either' as if i hadnt drank a thousand IPAs in my time

God I hope you punched him in the dick.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

tiananman posted:

TBH going from macro commercial lagers to something like Arrogant Bastard is like going from smoking joints to sucking down 20 gallon gravity bong rips.

Then I'd go to something like Sierra Nevada pale ale. Drink a few cases of that and you can move onto trying bigger DIPAs like Arrogant Bastard.

the best beers i've had were in australia. of the 'mass market' stuff about all i like in the US is bass, guinness, and boddingtons pub ale.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Kyrie eleison posted:

That's just the worst

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Kyrie eleison posted:

is that the schtick? you not a good beer drinker if you dont like ipas?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

sluggo is mad posted:

bro you just don't ~get~ beer

or something

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

sluggo is mad posted:

i'm afraid that is the state of affairs

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

its ok to not like ipas

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I'd agree if you replaced IPAs with Mexicans or Hawaiians

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

ded posted:

the best beers i've had were in australia. of the 'mass market' stuff about all i like in the US is bass, guinness, and boddingtons pub ale.

Well, you're missing out then. None of those are American beers, and they're not even especially great.

Where did you drink in America? If you were in a major city you should have tried some good craft beers. American craft brewers are cranking out some of the best beer in the world.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
375ml cheap larger
Pour into pint glass
top up with coke

rear end Shandy

Best hangover cure.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kyrie eleison posted:

IPAs are a good way to get hungover

Oh gently caress they do dehydrate you. Drink a ton of water after drinking them and make sure to stay up unless you like getting up 20 times a night to piss. Arrogant Bastard tastes a good bit like an IPA but doesn't sap the moisture from you as much. Which is why I like it, though its considered an ale and not an Indian Pale Ale, but it tastes similar enough that gently caress it.

Alternatively have Gatorade by the bed, and take a shot of pickle juice before going to bed. Pickle juice is the best hang over cure, tons of salt and water. drat poo poo probably is horrible for me, but so is alcohol so whatever.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

tiananman posted:

American craft brewers are cranking out some of the best beer in the world.

this is true, beer nerdism is p awesome. lots of good choices

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
INDIA SUCKS

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

tiananman posted:

Well, you're missing out then. None of those are American beers, and they're not even especially great.

Where did you drink in America? If you were in a major city you should have tried some good craft beers. American craft brewers are cranking out some of the best beer in the world.

While I agree the craft brewers often have great stuff, I feel like it's mostly just a numbers game.

I feel like I've drank a lot of poo poo too. Like obviously Coors doesn't do many beers, and they're trying to hit a certain market that small breweries aren't.

However if you look at larger breweries that are trying to hit the "enlightened drinker" demographic like Sam Adams, or if you choose a random micro-brewery in Michigan, I feel like they all have some poo poo and some deliciousness. Similar to the "IPAs are always better and you don't get them" people there are a lot of "This brewery you've never heard of is always better and you don't get it" people.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

JakeP posted:

INDIA SUCKS

Good IPAs don't come from India! They were what England shipped to India to the soldiers. Normal beer went bad during the long trip, so they added hops to prevent skunking.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Dogfish head is an incredible brewery. I had the pleasure of having one of these recently. http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/midas-touch.htm

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bad IPAs are a dime a dozen

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
High alcohol content in everything is actually a dumb American trend.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

gingerberger posted:

While I agree the craft brewers often have great stuff, I feel like it's mostly just a numbers game.

I feel like I've drank a lot of poo poo too. Like obviously Coors doesn't do many beers, and they're trying to hit a certain market that small breweries aren't.

However if you look at larger breweries that are trying to hit the "enlightened drinker" demographic like Sam Adams, or if you choose a random micro-brewery in Michigan, I feel like they all have some poo poo and some deliciousness. Similar to the "IPAs are always better and you don't get them" people there are a lot of "This brewery you've never heard of is always better and you don't get it" people.

Different people like different things, small brewers stay small because they don't have mass appeal, they hit a small percent of people. They hit the people really well and the people love them and will pay twice as much for the beer.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
a proper drunk knows how to control how much he drinks. he knows when he is drunk. he knows how to maintain that state without going too far

not saying you can't do this with an ipa just saying it's easier with lager

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

gingerberger posted:

Yeah that's just the bell curve though. I live in Vermont and we have poo poo tons of craft breweries, some of which are not great. But even the "bad" ones are making decent beer - as in better than macro lager bullshit. Then we have god-tier brewers like the Alchemist and Hill Farmstead (and lots more).

But if you can't find good beer in America, you're not trying very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
last 2 beers

• Locked thread