Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

Fencing response was an annoying catchphrase but I don't have much interest in outright banning discussion of what is quite possibly the biggest story in the history of the sport. The "oh man I'll never watch again" and then watching again stuff is dumb, but it's a legitimate concern. It doesn't even really come up that much anymore anyway, at least compared to a couple years ago.

I will offer my services. If someone says "classic fencing response" and I deem it not so, they get a probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I just wish people would put a little bit of thought into their GDT posts, even though I know it will never happen. So many times you have someone with a Stupid Newbie avatar posting something like "we are getting killed out there! What is he doing!" What is who doing, who is we, why are you posting that?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

beejay posted:

I just wish people would put a little bit of thought into their GDT posts, even though I know it will never happen. So many times you have someone with a Stupid Newbie avatar posting something like "we are getting killed out there! What is he doing!" What is who doing, who is we, why are you posting that?

i have the roster printed out on my fridge AND flash cards so i don't make this one rookie mistake!!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

African AIDS cum posted:

Encourage people to post MORE sexy cheerleader .gifs and punish those who don't think its good

Seconded.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Hell yeah.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

swickles posted:

I will offer my services. If someone says "classic fencing response" and I deem it not so, they get a probation.

im down with this and with hot_waldo.gif

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

you misogynists have me literally shaking irl

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
NFL cheerleaders are pointless and weird

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

Their point is literally to be objectified and I will continue to do it. Like, you might as well say strippers are pointless and weird.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Blitz7x posted:

He lisped

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd feel less weird about cheerleaders if they got paid more than the average McDonald's teenager

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

the only time cheerleader gifs have been obnoxious is years ago when someone spammed freckle-boobed Saints cheerleader like 50 times in one post over multiple pages

and that was only because it slowed down my old dinosaur computer

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Benne posted:

I'd feel less weird about cheerleaders if they got paid more than the average McDonald's teenager

If we could get private dances I'm sure we'd all be able to tip them better.

Quick, someone let Goodell know about my great idea to make the league more money.

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.

As a woman, I just had a whole conversation about this with my mother who loves the "Dallas Cheerleaders" Reality TV show thing. I had no idea it existed but apparently it does. I had to actually talk about the rights/privileges of different teams squads and how some teams don't even have them. Regardless, I have no issues with random awesome .gifs with Waldo Cheerleaders.

On topic, I also think this forum is basically perfect as is, so I don't want to change much. The division threads loving sucked. I love the GDTs because I have Sunday Ticket with Redzone and it majorly helps me to choose the best game at the moment. I think if anything it would be OK to add a "game of the week" thread on top of the typical threads. But really, the N/V and aftermath threads do enough to help with more in depth discussion.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blitz7x posted:

No. Not at all.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
If cheerleaders aren't your thing I can also post pictures of back up QB/Disney Prince Kirk Cousins.

:swoon:

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
So, if you're gonna break up NFL threads by conference, does that mean that we college posters can have another...

SEC THREAD?!?!?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

So, if you're gonna break up NFL threads by conference, does that mean that we college posters can have another...

SEC THREAD?!?!?

get out, gently caress you, sherman should've finished the job, etc

but unironically

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

swickles posted:

A swickles fencing response challenge would be a welcome thing.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Honestly I'm fine with separate threads for separate games. The early afternoon GDTs are almost impossible to navigate, while the Sunday night/Monday night threads are pretty good if not prone to derails. That might cause a bit of confusion in the subforum though, so conference/division GDTs may be a happy medium.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

I really like this idea and think it is absolutely worth a shot. Maybe we could also have a redzone thread as well since redzone is really popular and it would be a cool way to check in and see if another game is better.

I like this idea a lot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

SEC THREAD?!?!?

We haven't decided to do anything with the nfl threads yet and also no.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

the only time cheerleader gifs have been obnoxious is years ago when someone spammed freckle-boobed Saints cheerleader like 50 times in one post over multiple pages

Yeah the issue with that was people posting them 700 times in a row for page after page. It's the same reason I had to tell people to chill with m. Bison or whatever else they spam.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It's come up a couple of times, but real in depth look at games might be better served after the season has ended. Sort of a better expanded reflection on the past season. It could either be one thread or a week by week replay and can help with the offseason drought. This gives a good amount of time for those that wish to effort post on their teams but lives/jobs/college gets in the way of.

That could make effort posts during the season decrease, though.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I like the idea of splitting NFL GDTs to networks.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Whoa a lot of posts here while I was watching a loving 19 inning baseball game and then passed out.

Here are my two cents:

NFL GDTs

I think leaving the primetime/4pm GDTs are fine the way they are, and splitting off the GDTs by network for the 1pm EST games would be a good solution. I am against a Redzone thread because it would be overkill and would devolve into people talking about their stupid fantasy teams that no one gives a poo poo about. A split by network would still allow the GDTs to be easy enough to follow, without losing the charm of what the GDTs are supposed to be.

College GDTs

I am in favor of splitting up the college GDTs into two threads: Power Five and Mid Major. As a fan of a midmajor school, it's impossible to follow along in the GDT with anything concerning my team or conference. I think we have enough posters here who are fans of midmajors/who watch midmajors for this not to even be noticeable in the main power-five GDT, and would allow more live discussion of midmajor games.

N/V threads

Splitting the N/V thread by conference/division is stupid. This isn't baseball where the AL and NL exist in a state of near autonomy from each other and are governed by different rules and give out their own sets of awards and whatnot, it's football. Everything is the same. If you have a piece of news about your team, post it. If you deem it to be big enough news, make a separate thread for it. Conference threads and division threads only serve to divide the community and makes following things as a whole tougher.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

College GDTs

I am in favor of splitting up the college GDTs into two threads: Power Five and Mid Major. As a fan of a midmajor school, it's impossible to follow along in the GDT with anything concerning my team or conference. I think we have enough posters here who are fans of midmajors/who watch midmajors for this not to even be noticeable in the main power-five GDT, and would allow more live discussion of midmajor games.

I feel like this would result in some really small threads. Then again, maybe that's not a bad thing?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If the midmajor games got split out how would I know when MACtion was happening?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Thoguh posted:

If the midmajor games got split out how would I know when MACtion was happening?

By clicking on the Midmajor GDT

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Thoguh posted:

someone would definitely sound the call to MACtion

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't post enough for my opinion to hold too much sway but I think the NFL GDTs are totally unreadable in real time and not worth looking at during the game, let alone posting in. Even splitting them by network would be a bit of relief if I really want to talk about what's going on as it happens. If they moved at the speed of the college threads (which are perfect the way they are. The NCAA posters are a much smaller community.), I would love them, because you can have the occasional couple pages of reaction but not have three new pages every time you hti refresh.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Whoa a lot of posts here while I was watching a loving 19 inning baseball game and then passed out.

Here are my two cents:
College GDTs

But then if I want to talk about Iowa and Iowa State, and they're both playing at the same time, I'll have to go into two separate threads.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I fear there's no consensus to be built here. Both sides agree that the 1PM GDTs move at lightning speed, are chaotic, and are hard to follow. These things are what some people love and what other people hate. I'm in favor of keeping it like it is because I love that chaos. Especially in the first week, it's just a gigantic thread full of joy about how this sport we love to watch is back. To me, it's glorious and I would hate to miss that.

What I'm saying here is I want it to be football season now, for any given 'now.'

Also what I'm saying is that I'll tolerate the ":flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:" posts if I also get sad :mcnabb:.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
no one gives a poo poo what I think and half of you want me to leave anyway but I like college games as a mega GDT. You can do whatever with the NFL. This forum is way more fun when people aren't taking themselves so loving seriously and just post banal funny poo poo/gifs in game threads. I dont care how many times it happens, seeing a full two pages of "rip hes dead" when AJ McCarron gets his head taken off makes me smile

also feel free to probate me for 6 hours or w/e just to get a warm up in for the season because I know its been a while. also anyone in austin is free to chill at my place for Texas/Alabama games. namaste.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Scionix posted:

no one gives a poo poo what I think and half of you want me to leave anyway but I like college games as a mega GDT. You can do whatever with the NFL. This forum is way more fun when people aren't taking themselves so loving seriously and just post banal funny poo poo/gifs in game threads. I dont care how many times it happens, seeing a full two pages of "rip hes dead" when AJ McCarron gets his head taken off makes me smile

also feel free to probate me for 6 hours or w/e just to get a warm up in for the season because I know its been a while. also anyone in austin is free to chill at my place for Texas/Alabama games. namaste.

we kid because we love. you're cool with me and if anyone wants to see a wazzu game or is in pullman for god knows what terrible reason, well come to my place and we can do cool weird gross stuff. together.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

wheez the roux posted:

we kid because we love. you're cool with me and if anyone wants to see a wazzu game or is in pullman for god knows what terrible reason, well come to my place and we can do cool weird gross stuff. together.

theres a lot of sexual tension between me and andichu and I'm hoping we can work it out in the most awkward way possible in the CHIK-FIL-A KICKOFF SPECIAL brought to you by focus on the familytm

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Scionix posted:

I like you :agreed:

I don't know you since i don't read college threads but i agree with this and realizing i really do like chaotic GDTs. As far as probations go it hasn't been that bad in here lately since things seemed to have loosened up a bit.

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
I feel like any splitting of GDTs is just going to cause inconvenience for a lot of people. I think of the GDT as a single source for commentary on all of the games that are happening at the given time. Having even two threads is going to make it a lot more annoying to follow every game at once (especially if you're on mobile, which some people here probably are). It's already annoying enough when a 1pm game starts to run into the 4pm games - and we get lots of accidental crossposting in those situations, so it'd probably happen even more if there were two or more 1pm threads. I don't mind fragmenting the discussion threads, because they don't have to be kept up on in real-time, but having to switch back and forth between threads on a play-by-play basis seems like a real pain in the rear end. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes seeing all the games at once.

YMB fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 11, 2014

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I would prefer to keep GDTs together; if people want to do seriouspost gdts, then try that parallel track again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

maybe if we keep the GDT as is (incl. aftermath and m/v threads) we could have a couple threads for extra effort posts ie. game film breakdown megathread, playcalling megathread etc

we already have threads for the draft and stuff and it works well

• Locked thread