Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The bar for posting is lower than it should be, unfortunately.

I would say there's a lot going on that isn't really shitposting, trolling, arguments, or other bullshit that's intentional. Instead, I feel that the quality and content of the average post has gone down. It's not "low content" like a one-word post, but it's a lot closer. Personally I wish the bar was higher on content/humor, and even long for the days of banhammer months. A lot of these threads read more like a chatroom than a forum based around thoughtful dialectic.

It feeds into the megathread problem; there's a reason certain threads for popular games are 7000 pages long. A lot of people have very little to add but do so anyways. I know you acknowledged the megathread problem and its intractability in the OP, but it has really brought the quality of information I gather here down in the past few to several years. Anything that's not Battlefield, Dark Souls, etc gets choked out.

I only bring this up because I really have loved this forum since ~2000, and for like a decade I was always able to find new, interesting games I had not been exposed to; The reasons I feel that this happens less and less, are reasons I link to the Megathread thing. Not to belabor that point, but I get most of my information about neat new games I want to play on Giant Bomb now, which has filled this gap very well. Sadly.

As a good example, I really feel like the Planetside 2 thread exemplifies this. Very little usable information past basic stuff in the OP is found in its hundreds of pages. Instead, there is roughly 75% posts that add very little but are not against the rules, which only make it harder to find good info. The rest is a FYAD-quality shitheap of posts between people who are way too attached to their in-game faction. For over a year, several posters have been purposely instigating arguments, which they know from the past is *never* going to lead anywhere. It's painful to read. Technically, it's discourse... technically.

I love this forum, but sometimes it's tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

same

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
hosed up if true.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
im gay

goat manilla
Nov 13, 2003

When I played planetside 2 as a non-[GOON] I once flipped a [GOON]s galaxy while in the warpgate and he got really mad and said that he was going to get all of [GOON] to report and ban me. I was never banned. :smug:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

goat manilla posted:

When I played planetside 2 as a non-[GOON] I once flipped a [GOON]s galaxy while in the warpgate and he got really mad and said that he was going to get all of [GOON] to report and ban me. I was never banned. :smug:

hosed up if true

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The joke here is that you can replace "Games" with "GBS" and still be correct.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
goons are crap filth shitt fucekrs

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
You name a thread "state of the games forum" and you have to expect someone is gonna seriouspost like this

Edit: anime mods please post a state of the anime forums thread thanks

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Games is always a fun read

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
hey yo op wanna play some big team slayer add me gt chizmack

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I wanted to start Let's Playing games but I don't think it's worth the risk of suicide

edit:

nilumtil posted:

I learned more in TCC and TFR than most people know about those subjects.

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 9, 2014

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I wanted to start Let's Playing games but I don't think it's worth the risk of suicide
It's fun and good

EDIT: your suicide of course :D

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol all of my posts in games are the type of posts that make that guy hate games.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
[VGS]

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

it is really lovely to glance at that forum and just see a giant wall of megathreads though

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Why didn't you just post this in the games sticky

e: wait what the chirst

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 9, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

edit:

from what I've seen it's okay to just stop wherever and not continue because who gives a poo poo it's someone playing a video game lmao

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Games is real bad

really really bad

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Avocados posted:

Why didn't you just post this in the games sticky

poo poo why didnt i think of that, my bad

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
like have you guys tried reading Games?

it is BAD

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

:rip:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if you havent read the starbound thread theres a guy who keeps posting about how the devs are ripping him off and lying to everyone and the fact that the game isnt done already is horseshit and he wants his money back because starbound is dead

its really loving funny, and GOOD

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
the problem with the games forum is everyone is a true believer and will slobber the knob of any game that gets a thread

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the worst threads and the only threads i read are the dark souls threads. makes sense.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Yaldabaoth posted:

the problem with the games forum is everyone is a true believer and will slobber the knob of any game that gets a thread

someone described it as DEFEND YOUR PURCHASE the forum, and it is basically that

holy moley

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

hirez .___.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Moola posted:

like have you guys tried reading Games?

it is BAD

no way i love reading opinions from people that are really bad at the games they are talking about, because the worse they are the more fervently they push their bad opinions about the thing they are bad at

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The correct solution is to grow the gently caress up and stop playing video games.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jose Oquendo posted:

The correct solution is to grow the gently caress up and stop playing video games.

this, except unironically

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

um excuse me they make M rated games for a reason, the reason being, mature adults want to shoot people in a virtual reality where their actions have no consequence, so that they can live thru the mundanity of everyday life and vent their frustrations about their job / love life / terrible hosed up brain, etc.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fetus Tree posted:

I was being dead serious.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

um excuse me they make M rated games for a reason, the reason being, mature adults want to shoot people in a virtual reality where their actions have no consequence, so that they can live thru the mundanity of everyday life and vent their frustrations about their job / love life / terrible hosed up brain, etc.

Activision Presents Call of Duty: Brown People Murder Simulator 2014 Edition Special Hardened Edition w/ Remote Control Car and Night Vision Goggles. Reserve yours at Gamestop today.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Fetus Tree posted:

greetings pedophile apologist conquistador

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Games is bad but games are good

gently caress you if disagree I aint got time for it m8

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
gaming culture is a failed experiment. it hasn't evolved passed the days of receiving vhs tapes in the mail where two badical dudes tell you about the new star fox game, and anybody who thinks it has is wrong, or a liar. the fringes are pulling in a thousand different directions, hunkered down in their indie bunkers writing 400 paragraphs about the ending of Braid, and the comparatively massive mainstream audiences shell out money for inferior products out of brand recognition, feeding the consumerist beast at the core of the entire thing, doing nothing to advance the medium, and the culture surrounding it is irrevocably tainted by the complete lack of critical thought that allows them to keep pulling in money. "maybe bioshock is art?" suggests a confused toddler. "it is like movies!" adds an idiot. crazy in moloch, cocksucker in moloch. games are trash, gamers are trash. burn and salt the earth.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Parallax Scroll posted:

The bar for posting is lower than it should be, unfortunately.

I would say there's a lot going on that isn't really shitposting, trolling, arguments, or other bullshit that's intentional. Instead, I feel that the quality and content of the average post has gone down. It's not "low content" like a one-word post, but it's a lot closer. Personally I wish the bar was higher on content/humor, and even long for the days of banhammer months. A lot of these threads read more like a chatroom than a forum based around thoughtful dialectic.

It feeds into the megathread problem; there's a reason certain threads for popular games are 7000 pages long. A lot of people have very little to add but do so anyways. I know you acknowledged the megathread problem and its intractability in the OP, but it has really brought the quality of information I gather here down in the past few to several years. Anything that's not Battlefield, Dark Souls, etc gets choked out.

I only bring this up because I really have loved this forum since ~2000, and for like a decade I was always able to find new, interesting games I had not been exposed to; The reasons I feel that this happens less and less, are reasons I link to the Megathread thing. Not to belabor that point, but I get most of my information about neat new games I want to play on Giant Bomb now, which has filled this gap very well. Sadly.

As a good example, I really feel like the Planetside 2 thread exemplifies this. Very little usable information past basic stuff in the OP is found in its hundreds of pages. Instead, there is roughly 75% posts that add very little but are not against the rules, which only make it harder to find good info. The rest is a FYAD-quality shitheap of posts between people who are way too attached to their in-game faction. For over a year, several posters have been purposely instigating arguments, which they know from the past is *never* going to lead anywhere. It's painful to read. Technically, it's discourse... technically.

I love this forum, but sometimes it's tough.

Reminder that the steam thread op was longer than than war and peace

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Yivgev posted:

greetings pedophile apologist conquistador

hey how are you

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Games houses the SS13 thread so that alone raises it from terrible to at least "eh"

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Fetus Tree posted:

hey how are you

i feel kidn of nauseous and i havent slept much lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Yivgev posted:

i feel kidn of nauseous and i havent slept much lately.

i hope you feel better. was a long week for me and im glad to finally have a couple of days to unwind

• Locked thread