Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Looks very promising.

I'm confused about the Defender role. What does Marking do? It says it lets you do Opportunity at range, but I don't see a way to actually trigger Opportunity at range? Are there more details in the actual rules for Roles, and the snippets in the Adventures are just summaries?

Is it intended that "simple" combats would be resolved with Skill roles, instead of breaking out the Tactics system? So a swordsman would want to have a Sword skill, in addition to his sword-oriented class?

It seems a little strange that the tagline is "grid-based combat", but grid-based combat seems to be an optional rule. But I guess it's not a real problem per-se, but maybe make it clear in the rules that the game is intended for use with the grid-based combat options, and outline tradeoffs for not using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Yes, "simple" combats can definitely be handled that way. That's how I usually do it. I save the grid for when I've got cool monsters or terrain set up. As far as it being optional, yeah, I will clarify that: the tactical combat is optional, but it's also the star of the show.

I would suggest making it clear that each character should take a combat Skill of some sort. Even in the Basic game, it's still essentially a given that combat will happen, more so than any other single skill. It's an RPG. Choosing not to take one is a trap.

Or, perhaps "I sword/shoot a dude" is always trained, while fancier maneuvers can rely on Skills.

With the Tactics rules, I think the trap is even more significant, since you don't use any Skill to attack in a tactical combat, so a player might not think Skills are meant for that. Particularly since in D&D, they don't.

Furthermore, I'd suggest that each Class and Role include a Skill that summarizes its particular contribution to tactical combat. That way, a character automatically fights in "simple" combats in a similar way, narratively, to "tactical" combats. If you have both, as a player, I'd be frustrated if my GM "arbitrarily" makes my Class and Role not matter at all by choosing to run something "simple".

• Locked thread