Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
First of all, nice.

Second of all, I plugged the Sacred BBQ once on my blog (fuckyeahdnd.tumblr.com) and now that the game is under a new name I might want to follow up on it. Would you be okay with that? If so, would there be anything specific that you'd like me to link to? The preview rules? The fantasy adventure? The sci-fi adventure? The Lovecraftian adventure? All of the above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

So, I just preordered this thing: I've been really hype about Strike! since Sacred BBQ and it's great to see how it's developed.

I'm thinking of putting together a one-shot of this game just to get a feel for the game, and I'm thinking of just handing out pregens for the players. What I need help with is figuring out some fun combinations of class and role.

A couple of ideas I'm sort of attached to are the Shapechanger with Multi-Role Shapechanger, so that they can either cover for a missing role or double up on another role depending on what the group needs, as well as the Buddies who uses their big tough buddy to act as a Defender. I'm not sure whether the latter could actually be pulled off through the Defender role or through giving the Buddy the Active Effect to hand out Marked with every Team Attack.

Anyway, mainly I'm just looking for class and role combinations that are fun to play with and that have a lot of synergy.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Maleketh posted:

When I ran a one-shot for my friends a while back, I went with a duelist/striker, martial artist/defender, archer/leader, and magician/controller. I did this more to fit the characters I had in mind for the one-shot than for synergy, but all four worked quite well. My biggest advice is to be careful about class if you use a blaster; there are several combinations involving that role that are absurdly complex. I'd go with something simple like archer or martial artist.

That actually seems like a nice spread if I end up running the one-shot as a simple fantasy dungeon brawler. It might actually be a better idea than throwing a bunch of really complex characters at the players for a one-shot.

And yeah, I can see what you mean when you caution against using the blaster: it actually took me a while to parse how the actual role works (it's not that the wording is unclear, I was just having a hard time finding all the relevant stuff), so probably keep it off the table for now.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the input! I've decided on the following five pregens for the game:

Martial Artist/Defender: Your average dwarf fighter, claims to be a master of the drunken axe style, in reality just a drunk and ornery dwarf with an axe.
Duelist/Striker: A halfling thief type of deal. I'll probably give this character the feat that allows for easier hiding in combat.
Archer/Controller: Probably an elven ranger of sorts.
Magician/Blaster: I decided to couple Magician with Blaster because Magician has some controllery powers as is but is lacking in AoE spells, something which I consider iconic for the D&D style Wizard.
Warlord/Leader: As Countblanc mentioned most people won't like playing a pure support character, so instead of making this a lazylord I'm giving it a bunch of powers that actually have damage lines to them to allow for a mix of melee and support.

This will probably be a really simple dungeon brawl with a few combats connected by skill rolls and maybe even a chase scene to give the players a feel for the system. I'll probably make the players a bunch of prefab character sheets showing all the relevant mechanics, one side for combat and the other for non-combat stats.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Sounds good! I wanted to note that Gourdcaptain is playing a Buddies/Blaster with a Defendery Buddy and it's working pretty well. It can't take quite as much heat as a full defender, but he gets to be a Blaster, too.

So that idea of yours does work well if you want to use it for this or some other game.

I'll stick to the characters I've cooked up for now, and depending on how my players take to the game I'll allow them to make entirely new characters for a full campaign next, and that's when I'll bring in the other classes.

By the way, I'm not sure if this has been brought to your attention yet, but the Duelist class has two level 1 encounter powers, but reading the class it says that you always get Ain't Nobody Else Around, meaning there's no way to actually get Perfect Defense. I take it you're supposed to choose one or the other at character creation?

Currently mulling over feats for this bunch of characters, the only one I'm 100% decided on is the hiding feat for the Duelist/Striker.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

So, I decided that instead of a dungeon crawler my first Strike! one-shot is going to be a superhero game. This is mainly because I've always wanted to run superheroes and I've already got a million different systems for running dungeon adventures.

For the group I'm thinking a Martial Artist/Leader as a Mr. Fantastic type of elastic guy, their different stances representing the variety of forms they can twist their body into, an Archer/Controller as basically the Green Arrow, but I'm still struggling with the other three roles: for the Striker I was thinking of a Shapechanger, either with Form of the Mammoth (for a big Hulk-like grabby-punchy guy) or Form of the Hawk (basically the Falcon, the shapeshifting being refluffed to turning their wings/jet pack/whatever on) but I'm still struggling with the other two roles.

Although one idea I had for the Defender was the Dynamic Duo, think Adam West style Batman and Robin, but I'm still unsure about that.

e: For skills I already figured out that Backgrounds would represent a character's civilian occupation and the skills they've picked up before becoming supers, while Origin would represent their source if powers and open a few so-called super skills, basically narrative permissions to pull off completely ridiculous stunts ("I have super strength so of course I can throw a bus at those enemies.").

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 25, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Another stupid newbie question, this time about Striker damage: when you roll a 6 as a Striker, is the attack's damage line doubled before applying the Striker's +2 damage boost on a 6 or after? I'm guessing the former, because dealing 8 damage on a single attack seems a bit excessive.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, here's a very weird and specific interaction of the rules I'd like clarified:

Supposing I have a Martial Artist/Defender with Python Style and the feat that allows for using Stances on opportunities. The situation is this: enemy tries to move away, giving me a an opportunity, I deal my opportunity damage and grab them. The opportunity is resolved before the action that triggers it, so now the enemy is immobilized. Have they effectively wasted their move action for nothing, or would they in this situation be able to make an immediate saving throw to escape the grab because effectively they're using a move action?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

So, ran my first session of Strike! today, and it was fun in spite of the fact that I hosed almost everything up. Okay, the fact that I only had two players probably didn't help, but after the first encounter I started losing my focus and it showed in the quality of the game (although the players said it was still fun).

First encounter was really fun and tense: two players (a Duelist/Striker and a Magician/Blaster) versus four Stooges (two Archers and two Strikers). Due to really bad rolls on their part and really good rolls on my part, the players racked up a total of 6 Strikes and managed to survive by the skin of their teeth. After that we had a bit of exploration and interaction, which eventually led to encounter two.

Encounter two was the two against a single Elite, a Pack Master. What was supposed to be a really scary fight turned into a pushover on account of the fact that I forgot that Elites were supposed to automatically succeed on all saving throws before they are Bloodied as well as take two turns in succession. I should've probably called it quits after this one, because the remaining fights of the session were literally filler.

Anyway, I'm probably being a bit too hard on myself: the players said they had fun, I had fun, but I still feel like it could have been more fun for all involved if I'd kept the rules straight and hadn't been so tired.

Everything about the system was great, though! Even though the last combats were effectively useless filler, it was still fun to be able to cram four tactical combats into three hours of gameplay. Next time I'll just have to get my notes organized and do a little more prep so I don't end up throwing useless and boring filler fights at my players.

So, the system is great, I just suck as a GM. :v:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Serf posted:

Don't be so hard on yourself, it sounds like most 1st sessions in a new system. They're usually trainwrecks in my experience, but so long as everyone has fun, it's fine. I hope your next session goes better!

Yeah, I'm probably being a bit too hard on myself. Anyway, this was a one-shot, but having given the game a spin now I can say that it's exactly to my liking and I do want to run an extended campaign of this at some point. Just need to find the right group to run it for.

Also, it kind of sucks that even though Roll20 now has a character sheet for Strike! you still can't search for Strike! games in LFG. Makes finding an online group so much harder.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Now that I actually have a bit of experience with the system thanks to that one-shot, I might actually go ahead and run an extended campaign with it. I kind of want to run a hexcrawl of sorts: even though at first I wouldn't have thought Strike! to be the appropriate system for this kind of a game, the way how Conditions interact with Tactical Combat makes it seem entirely doable.

I'll want to introduce the Fresh condition into the game, but I also need to think about clearly outlined rules for recovering from the other conditions. Basically, since there probably won't be huge story-related consequences for resting, I want to put some kind of cost on recovering from conditions, the simplest limitation just being "You can't recover from Exhausted until you're actually in town and get yourself a room at an inn, you can recover from Winded by taking a ten-minute rest in the dungeon but that risks wandering monsters/other danger." Thoughts?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Serf posted:

This sounds pretty good to me. Maybe include health potions that can remove Exhausted/Winded/Injured but make them pretty rare loot? They could have an alternate use as a way to restore HP in-combat so you have to make the choice between HP or clearing Conditions.

You could use a pacing roll to see if they get interrupted while clearing Winded, and going back to town to clear Exhausted seems like a good idea for a hexcrawl game.

Countblanc posted:

I would say to make it so stopping to cure Winded always cures it (it doesn't fail if you get a wandering monster), but the encounter instead has a surprise round for the monsters or something similar.

This is all good advice, thanks!

I reviewed the rules for Dangerous Delves last night, and it actually provided me with more support for this style of game. However, it also featured the rule that characters can only do two things in town (recovering from Conditions, training, etc.) and I'm wondering whether it'll need to be as strict as that. Simply by gating everything behind Wealth tests (you have to pay for room and board, the materials necessary for fixing your equipment, etc.) I can make money the pacing mechanic while in town instead of using an arbitrary time limit.

Thinking about it now, while I do want there to be a hexcrawl element to this game, I must say I really enjoy the rules as presented in Dangerous Delves, and might try to adapt a lot of them into this campaign.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I'm definitely going to be borrowing a lot from Dangerous Delves, on a further read. I intend to run this campaign on a revolving door basis, so players can come and go according to their own schedules, and the format of Dangerous Delves really supports that type of campaign. I'm still going to make modifications of my own to the formula, but they've really helped me clarify the mechanics of this campaign.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Hey jimbozig, I had a quick question about the rules for Dangerous Delves: it says that Major Conditions are off the table unless specifically stated in the dungeon's description. How does this interact with post-tactical combat Conditions from Strikes? My reading was that a character can still pick up the Exhausted and Injured conditions through combat, but I just can't throw them around as Costs outside of combat.

I had the opportunity to pitch this game to a bunch of my friends last week and we'll be going for a Darkest Dungeon vibe with it. Just need to write up some appropriate Backgrounds and Origins.

e: I'm dumb and only just noticed that this is explicitly spelled out in Dangerous Delves

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 2, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

homullus posted:

Share what you come up with if you're willing, I think that would be a really great fit.

Admittedly most of the stuff I came up with was just refluffing existing Backgrounds, although I'm pretty proud of the Trick I came up with for the Witch Hunter:

Everyone is Guilty: A Witch Hunter can always get a confession out of someone, whether for real or imagined crimes.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Chiming in to say that I too would buy an official book of monsters and poo poo for Strike!

Speaking of, I've locked down on five different types of dungeons for this Dangerous Delves game, and have also figured out what type of opposition the PCs will find in each. Each type of dungeon is tied to one of the major conditions.

The Sewers are Unhealthy and inhabited by ratmen. Going for a Skaven vibe here, but focusing on stuff like sneaky bastards and disease.

The Woods are Dangerous and inhabited by beastman-like goatmen, but without the demon worship angle and focused on really violent nature worship.

The Catacombs are Terrifying (unlocks Terrified, the major mental condition) and inhabited by the undead, of course.

The Ruins are Cursed (unlocks the campaign-specific condition of the same name) and home to a demon-worshiping cult and their demonic patrons.

And finally, the Placid dungeon type is reserved as a catch-all for dungeons featuring bandits and other normal people without any overt supernatural influence.

What I need help with is coming up with a set of dungeon-appropriate monsters for each type: as the players clear dungeons they should be able to know in advance what types of monsters they will find there simply based on the descriptors.

For an example, the ratmen in the sewers will mostly field Sneaks as well having lots of Stooges (rats!) and Mobs (swarms of rats!). The undead will mostly be zombie Goons (to represent the fact that single well-placed headshot will take them down) along with Drainers and Horrors. The goatmen will probably mostly have Chargers, with the occasional Elite Brute to represent a really big and strong goatman.

All help is appreciated. I was also thinking of adding one more dungeon type, the Bayou, because frogmen are awesome.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of monsters, how high in terms of points would you rate making a creature size 2x2? I'm prepping monsters for tomorrow's game and should the players choose to explore the rat-infested sewer I kind of want to throw a swarm of rats at them.

e: Looking around now, this seems really weird. The Mob trait doesn't really do much unless the creature is at least 2x2 in size (because you can't actually hit multiple squares occupied by a creature that is only 1x1 in size). Is it implicit that a Mob should generally be at least 2x2 in size (although oddly enough there's an example of a 1x1 Mob in the game)?

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 6, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I have a major problem with the vehicles expansion.

Namely the fact that it makes me want to immediately scrap the campaign I just started and begin another one, with vehicles this time.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

So, I've been running Dangerous Delves for my friends for a couple of weeks now. It's been great fun. This is the campaign I previously spoke about that is shades of Darkest Dungeon.

The cast of characters at the moment include a Martial Artist/Striker (a grizzled old veteran with a cool puffy shirt, the player happens to be a huge fan of medieval sword-fighting techniques so the Martial Artist was a perfect fit), a Summoner/Controller (an occultist with friends from beyond time and space), a former priest who is totally not a vampire (a Necromancer/Leader), a guy with three demons in his head fighting for control (a Shapechanger who's also a Multi-Role Shifter) and an anarchist insurrectionist who loves throwing molotov cocktails and other types of bombs everywhere (a Bombardier/Blaster).

There's one thing about the rules that I keep tripping up on: basically, effects that deal damage when an enemy moves into a certain square (like some of the Bombardier's bombs and some of the Summoner's powers) and forced movement. When you slide an enemy into a square with a zone like this, do they trigger its effect? I couldn't remember the actual rule and looking it up would've broken the flow of the game, so I voted in favor of yes, but with the caveat that you can only be affected by a certain zone once per turn. Is this right, or is there some more nuance to this?

Also, reading Strange Stars (a cool and good sci-fi setting book for old-school RPGs and Fate) has convinced me of the next setting I want to run Strike! in, this time with a less strictly structured campaign format and also getting to use all the cool stuff I left out of this campaign like kits and vehicles and stuff.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Found the relevant passage on zones and forced movement. Thankfully I wasn't off by too much, but I still need to keep better track of which enemies have already suffered the negative effects of a zone each turn, especially with a Bombardier in the group.

Also, because this game is cool and good I want to help spread the word and write up a review of it, probably on RPG.net because that's still many people's go-to page for RPG-related stuff, but also probably on my blog.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Hey there Strike! thread. While my Darkest Dungeon inspired Strike! campaign is going swimmingly, I'm already thinking of what I want to do next with the game. I settled on a campaign heavily inspired by my favorite videogames, taking the setting and weird magical surrealism mixed with Americana from Earthbound and the time management aspects of the Persona games. Basically the player characters are first-grade kids with superpowers who have to fight a rising darkness in their little town in Middle American Suburbia while balancing the demands of school, social life and so on. I've got the basic ideas for the structure of the game down pretty well:
  • Time-keeping will be very important to this game. Every school day (Monday to Friday, barring holidays) is divided into Morning (when you're at school, making a single skill roll to see how well you did in class that day, with a success meaning that you learn the Skill for the subject that was taught in school that day), Afternoon (when you can take part in extracurricular activities, socialize, play with your friends, do chores and so on), Evening (pretty much the same as Afternoon) and Night.
  • At Night the players can choose between either sleeping or going out monster-hunting or investigating in one of the spots in town with suspected paranormal activity. Sleeping allows you to recover from most conditions, if you forgo sleeping in favor of adventuring all conditions gained during the adventure will carry on to the next day as you don't get quite enough sleep.
  • Special events based on the time of the month and holidays! For an example, in the style of Persona 3 full moons might trigger a major supernatural incursion into the town, probably modeled somewhat like town defense from Dangerous Delves. Halloween might increase the amount of hauntings in town or something, and as the kids go trick-or-treating they might have to fight against ghosts and goblins running around town. Christmas, I don't know.
  • The character's Resources stat represents their allowance, and a character can recover from the Short and Broke conditions through doing chores, working (come up with some work that feels appropriate to first-graders. Paper routes, lawn-mowing, baby-sitting, so on). Not sure on the exact number of times you need to do chores to recover your allowance.
I was also thinking that by partaking in extracurricular activities like chess club or peewee football or something the players could learn new skills, and these would potentially open up new feats for the characters. I don't know how good an idea this is, but this is what I came up with for a Leader character who has taken part in chess club and learned the Chess skill:

Chess Master
Requires: Tactics, Chess skill
Benefit: When you use the Tactics power, the target can use their Move action to shift a number of squares in one of the following ways:
  • Knight - You know how a knight in chess moves, right? Shift like that.
  • Rook - Shift any number of squares in a cardinal direction. As normal, you can't shift through obstacles, creatures or difficult terrain.
  • Bishop - Shift any number of squares in an intermediate direction. As normal, you can't shift through obstacles, creatures, or difficult terrain.
This could also be appropriate to a Controller, I guess? Anyway, that's just one idea. Not sure if implementing custom feats is a good idea, and the one I posted above is probably broken as hell. Mainly, just looking to see if any of these ideas seem fun and interesting or if they need some work.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I wrote this thing based on some of my thoughts. It's really rough and needs a lot of editing (as well as sample Backgrounds and Origins), but I'm quite happy with how it's shaping up.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, anyone who wants to give me feedback on the Rogue class, send me an email or a PM. It's ready for beta testing now.

I'm interested in this, but I don't know what your email address is, so here's mine: e: got it, thanks

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 1, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

So, another game done. We switched gears about a week ago and instead of doing grimdark adventures in the style of Darkest Dungeon the current campaign is more traditional adventure fantasy kind of in the style of D&D but with a dash of Adventure Time. Today the PCs crashed a kobold punk band's gig and ended up fighting the band and a moshpit full of their fans (represented as grappler enemies turned 2x2 in size and with the Mob trait). For the next adventure the players will be heading into the underworld, because one of the PCs flubbed their spirit contacts roll and ended up with a Cost of "You should come down and visit some time, we hardly ever hear from you again" from one of their ancestors.

I need help with coming up with cool thematic monsters and obstacles for a Greek-styled underworld. I was even thinking of building up Cerberus as a Titan. One question about Titans though: I noticed that some of the monsters have a number in brackets after the attack symbol of some of their attacks (for an example, the dragon has a 3 in parenthesis after the melee attack symbol for their Claw attack). Does this mean that when using that type of attack the creature actually makes three attacks? If so, giving Cerberus three bite attacks with a grab as an effect (obviously, if they have a creature grabbed they can't bite with that head any more) would be appropriate, but it also feels like a lot of attacks given that Titans already act on Initiative counts 7, 5 and 3.

Anyway, what other abilities would work for Cerberus? Given that I'm going for a "Big derpy dog who just wants to play" imagining of the guy, I was thinking that giving it a huge wagging tail (attack and knock prone all enemies behind the guy) would be okay, but what else? Living Missile from the Brute feels appropriate as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Some sort of fetch-based attack where it comes and drops a giant ball on you in the expectation that you'll throw it. (The ball weighs more than the entire party)

Poison Mushroom posted:

Alternatively, you can throw it and turn it into a mobile hazard, but one that distracts it for a little while.

Yeah, totally using this! Thanks!

Besides Cerberus, what other stuff is iconic of the traditional descent into the underworld scenario? My significant other has studied Greek mythology and suggested that getting past the boatman should be an obstacle of its own; apparently, according to older myths you had to be both dead and received a proper burial to cross the river. Well, at least one of the PCs should have an easy time of it, because the character's a skeleton. Giving Charon a coin is of course customary, but I'm thinking that it shouldn't be quite as simple as giving any old coin to Charon, but the coin has to be a coin that someone has been actually buried with, so the solution would be to trick one of the dead to trade coins with you or stealing them or something?

Also, another common thread in the myths is apparently that heroes are always descending into the underworld to bring back the dead, so I was thinking that one possible twist could be a near-sighted Hellenic hero mistaking one of the PCs for their deceased lover and stealing them away with them, essentially making the group lose time in the process.

Oh, and tortured spirits of the dead are obviously a given.

e:

Countblanc posted:

When it becomes bloodied make it start foaming magma around its mouth, but play it like a dog being exhausted from playing a lot rather than it being in mortal peril. Then maybe make it so any bite attacks splash magma-slobber on nearby targets.

Oh and this is great too, will use this as well. :)

• Locked thread