Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Katina is just incredibly jealous of everyone all the time? Kind of like the Daffy Duck of giant robot pilots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Super Robot Wars Original Generations is like Kingdom Hearts. At some point it will hit the third game, but before that it must have a ridiculous amount of spinoff games.

Only KH3 has actually been announced, nobody knows anything about 3rdOG, just about the ridiculous amount of spinoffs (there's...two Endless Frontiers, four Lord of Elementals, Gaiden, Dark Prison, the fighting game...am I missing anything?)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Super Robot Wars Original Generations is like Kingdom Hearts. At some point it will hit the third game, but before that it must have a ridiculous amount of spinoff games.

Only KH3 has actually been announced, nobody knows anything about 3rdOG, just about the ridiculous amount of spinoffs (there's...two Endless Frontiers, four Lord of Elementals, Gaiden, Dark Prison, the fighting game...am I missing anything?)

And much like Kingdom Hearts, there's no way to tell without playing them which games are actually spinoff titles and which are main titles named like a spinoff title.

There's also Masaki, Kyosuke, and Ryusei appearing in Another Century's R, unless that's what you mean by 'the fighting game'. At least, given how Banpresto usually handles these matters I assume it's, nonsensically, part of the canon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CmdrKing posted:

And much like Kingdom Hearts, there's no way to tell without playing them which games are actually spinoff titles and which are main titles named like a spinoff title.

There's also Masaki, Kyosuke, and Ryusei appearing in Another Century's R, unless that's what you mean by 'the fighting game'. At least, given how Banpresto usually handles these matters I assume it's, nonsensically, part of the canon.

It is. I think it actually is the reason Ryusei and Kyosuke aren't there in the beginning of the game. Project X Zone is canon for Sanger as well.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Glazius posted:

Kind of like the Daffy Duck of giant robot pilots?

This is an amazing description of Katina.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

So Katina is just incredibly jealous of everyone all the time? Kind of like the Daffy Duck of giant robot pilots?

Keep in mind that she's only just met Kyosuke and Excellen in the previous mission and hasn't really seen them prove themselves yet (or at best, made excuses about how that time "didn't count.") She'll fall in line, at least to a degree, once she's been around them a bit longer. (She's also a bit of a bully and realizes that she can't smack them around like she can Russell and Tasuku.)

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm not sure if they use the line in OGS, but in OG1, Excellen calling the impending nuclear strike 'celebration fireworks' is probably my favourite line in the game.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Perfect time to be catching up on the thread, it seems.

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'm not sure if they use the line in OGS, but in OG1, Excellen calling the impending nuclear strike 'celebration fireworks' is probably my favourite line in the game.

Makes me wonder what she will call a meteor strike.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

Project X Zone is canon for Sanger as well.
Cyberbots for next super robot wars, please.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Oh Endless Frontier. Half the fanbase is so intrigued by you, the other half wants to deny it ever existed. It is definitely a strange thing and I wonder why exactly they did it. Part of me is tempted to say it'll tie into Z stuff somehow since it has elements of that scavenger society and rampant black boxes thing that was going on for the Big O and Turn A elements otherwise lacking in OG.

They've been pretty cagey on if Z will even be in OG but as I've said elsewhere, it'd be a great opportunity to reboot and do more concise, refined stuff with the OGverse. It could work well if they have a similar premise to how things went down in Z, only instead of all these universes being various anime places, they're the games all the originals come from. There's even the whole thing where Dark Brain was looking for what sounded an awful lot like Spheres.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Oh Endless Frontier. Half the fanbase is so intrigued by you, the other half wants to deny it ever existed. It is definitely a strange thing and I wonder why exactly they did it. Part of me is tempted to say it'll tie into Z stuff somehow since it has elements of that scavenger society and rampant black boxes thing that was going on for the Big O and Turn A elements otherwise lacking in OG.

They've been pretty cagey on if Z will even be in OG but as I've said elsewhere, it'd be a great opportunity to reboot and do more concise, refined stuff with the OGverse. It could work well if they have a similar premise to how things went down in Z, only instead of all these universes being various anime places, they're the games all the originals come from. There's even the whole thing where Dark Brain was looking for what sounded an awful lot like Spheres.

I honestly think that Endless Frontier (1 at least) had a lot to do with some of the hatred the ATX team gets. Because it's characters are all pretty much the ATX team trading features... and then they're joined the protagonists of Namco x Capcom, another pair of Kyosuke and Excellen expies.

I believe it's the character artist or director who has a massive loving boner for this dynamic. So much so that you could, in a regular game, probably deploy an entire mission of Excellen/Kyosuke expies.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Onmi posted:

I honestly think that Endless Frontier (1 at least) had a lot to do with some of the hatred the ATX team gets. Because it's characters are all pretty much the ATX team trading features... and then they're joined the protagonists of Namco x Capcom, another pair of Kyosuke and Excellen expies.

I believe it's the character artist or director who has a massive loving boner for this dynamic. So much so that you could, in a regular game, probably deploy an entire mission of Excellen/Kyosuke expies.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Onmi posted:

It's Terada, the project director. Terada is who you have to blame for having three Kyosuke/Excellen pairs across OGs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Reiji and Xiaomu are probably my favorite of the three groups.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Given how many variations they've done on that, I'm surprised they haven't tried switching things up. Something along the lines of Kurz and Mao from Full Metal Panic.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

edit: There were spoilers here because I thought this was the general SRW thread. Whoops.

Sooooooo how about them robots? I like the ones with the rocket punches.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 2, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

Sooooooo how about them robots? I like the ones with the rocket punches.

I like the ones with Rocket Punches, missiles, chest lasers AND giant swords.

What I'm trying to say is that Sanger is the best and the Grungust Type-0 is the best.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
There is no "best mech" in SRW, because what's great about this franchise is its variety. In one turn you can smack a boss with rocket punches, giant swords, more missiles than god, satellite cannons, magical firebirds, meteors, shining fingers, and combo attacks so beautiful that you'd swear the entire animation budget was blown on that one move. No other series can offer you that. :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ugh, Tempest "HAVE I TOLD YOU I WANT REVENGE TODAY?" Hawker. I do not like him at all. I'll take Tenzan's antics over having to listen to Tempest in a heartbeat. The big problem is that while Tempest wants revenge (no, get used to hearing him say that ALL THE TIME), that's as far as the game goes. We never have Tempest actually follow up on his threats/boasts, and he just becomes a flat character. Here's a setup for a villain that could do anything to satisfy his hateboner for the EFA, and there's nothing done with that. The fact that he used to roll with people like Sanger, Elzam and Kai just makes Tempest even more of a wasted opportunity.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Materant posted:

It's Terada, the project director. Terada is who you have to blame for having three Kyosuke/Excellen pairs across OGs.

No it isn't. It's someone else.

EDIT: Oh man Tempest, I keep forgetting he exists, even after reading the update.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Who? Oh, right. The less interesting midboss than Tenzan. When does he show up again?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Oh, thank goodness. I thought I was crazy for forgetting who Tempest was. It's a shame, because he had so much potential to be a memorable character as the rest of the Aggressors, but Tempest just falls flat and becomes a "who?" as a result.

Poor guy. :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say it's because he never becomes playable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would say it's because he never becomes playable.
Not really. You can do memorable recurring subvillains - think Archibald from OG2 (although that may be caused by how completely loving retarded his whole subplot is) even when they have no redeeming features whatsoever - the issue with Tempest is that his plot never goes anywhere. If you had him dealing with doubt, questioning whether vengeance is the course he needs to take, hell, even have him flashback to his family, then... Well, he'd become Elzam without the quirks. Point is, he's forgettable because he lacks any development.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Not really. You can do memorable recurring subvillains - think Archibald from OG2 (although that may be caused by how completely loving retarded his whole subplot is) even when they have no redeeming features whatsoever - the issue with Tempest is that his plot never goes anywhere. If you had him dealing with doubt, questioning whether vengeance is the course he needs to take, hell, even have him flashback to his family, then... Well, he'd become Elzam without the quirks. Point is, he's forgettable because he lacks any development.
Tempest has a second issue with his character, now that I think about it further. The other issue is that Banpresto can't make up its drat mind about what they want to do with Tempest. Is he supposed to be a villain you feel sorry for because of a past personal tragedy, or is he an irredeemable monster who you are supposed to hate? The game never decides on one path, so Tempest falls flat again and his arc goes nowhere.

Case in point (minus spoilers): on Ryusei's route, Tempest is presented with a gigantic moral dilemma that he actually pauses to think over whether or not he should take the good option or the evil option. Not even thirty seconds later, Tempest decides on the evil option and uses his one character trait (REVENGE!TM) as full justification and commits to the act. Now, you'd think that maybe after the dilemma passes, Tempest takes some time to himself to question his actions or talk it over with someone else, right? Tempest never acknowledges this act after it comes up and the game (without saying anything) expects the player to move on with the plot and ignore the moral dilemma card it just played. You can't play that option and expect it to be swept under the rug completely.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Tempest has a second issue with his character, now that I think about it further. The other issue is that Banpresto can't make up its drat mind about what they want to do with Tempest. Is he supposed to be a villain you feel sorry for because of a past personal tragedy, or is he an irredeemable monster who you are supposed to hate? The game never decides on one path, so Tempest falls flat again and his arc goes nowhere.

Case in point (minus spoilers): on Ryusei's route, Tempest is presented with a gigantic moral dilemma that he actually pauses to think over whether or not he should take the good option or the evil option. Not even thirty seconds later, Tempest decides on the evil option and uses his one character trait (REVENGE!TM) as full justification and commits to the act. Now, you'd think that maybe after the dilemma passes, Tempest takes some time to himself to question his actions or talk it over with someone else, right? Tempest never acknowledges this act after it comes up and the game (without saying anything) expects the player to move on with the plot and ignore the moral dilemma card it just played. You can't play that option and expect it to be swept under the rug completely.

also he has no one to play off. Ryusei has Tenzan to play off, Rai has Elzam a few other characters all have some ties to the DC commanders to give a gently caress. But not Tempest. No one can empathize with him or fight him. He's all uninteresting "loving REVENGE" and by the time the games off him, he's left nothing memorable except how unmemorable he is.

I freaking remember THOMAS who has never appeared again, but he at least left a mild impression.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Tempest also has a timeline that makes no real sense, (unless they fixed that for OGS, OG1 implies heavily his REVENGE thing happened after the Aggressors), which doesn't really help.

Sciencegar
Dec 21, 2013

I'm afraid its because of Super-Science.

Regular-Ass Science is innocent.

vibratingsheep posted:

That reminds me. Daitetsu is 100% Captain Bruno J. Gloval, but is Tetsuya supposed to be anyone in particular?

I'm pretty sure they're both a reference to Space Battleship Yamato, with Daitetsu as Okita/Avatar, and Tetsuya as Kodai/Wildstar who eventually replaces him. It's more explicit in 2ndOGs when you see Tetsuya with the hat on, with the trigger control for the Tronium Buster Cannon in the exact way Kodai fires the Wave Motion Cannon.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Poor Tasuku, gone from being the presumptive canon lead of Alpha 1 (at least as far as the manga was concerned) to... that.
At least he got it better than Mina Likering, who starred in the SRWF manga and has yet to appear again.

Also, I love that Katina seems to have her kill count marked on her uniform's pauldrons.

BTW, OP: Howcome you keep showing screencaps of the event videos and not the actual videos themselves? :( And I think it'd help clarify things a bit if the keywords that keep showing up got spotlighted like in the Z LP.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Alpha manga? I haven't heard of this one, do you have some scans or something?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Seyser Koze posted:

Ugh. I'm not sure what's different about the ATX Gespensts, but they're absolutely terrible underwater.

I actually have some information on this for you! I happened to notice something weird when playing this game myself recently: the SRX Gespensts have an A-rank in water, as well as the Underwater movement type. In return, the ATX Gespensts have an A-rank in the air, which you might think is useless until you hear that in OGs (I'm not sure about other SRWs, but I know it's this way in OGs) the game uses the enemy terrain type when calculating hit% for melee attacks, so the ATX Gespensts are that much better at Jet Magnum-ing all the planes and Lions they fight.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Taking a little break from despair to get this one out before the new week begins.

Ryusei Route: Mission 7

In which I forget to do many things.

First thing I do is attach this Screw Module to Rai's Schutzwald, because sticking propellers on something can alter the laws of physics such that beam weapons can be fired underwater.

The Far East Base is abuzz with discussion of how badly the war is going. What branches haven't been outright destroyed or captured are surrendering to the enemy, and even the Far East personnel are starting to wonder if they wouldn't live longer by giving in now. Hearing this, Ryusei wonders if his mother and Kusuha are all right, but tells himself that this isn't the time to worry about that - he has to focus on the fight with the Divine Crusaders, so that what happened at Sasebo isn't repeated...

Then this guy arrives, introducing himself as Robert Hajime Ohmiya, a member of the SRX Project staff. "Man, that's a long name. Almost as long as Rai's!" :haw: Robert says that "Rob" will do just fine. He's heard Ryusei is pretty much an unparalleled robot nerd, and invites him down to the lab to have a look at his future mech.

And he does mean down to the lab; it's so far below ground that it's freezing, but Rob doesn't offer any explanation beyond "well, there are a lot of reasons." He leads Ryusei over to his future machine, the Real Personal Trooper Type-1; R-1 for short. Ryusei's response: "It's... it's not a super robot..." Robert, thankfully, just laughs and says that the R-1 may look like a Real, but it fights and handles like a Super, depending on the aptitude of the pilot - meaning it's all up to Ryusei. (He's lying. The R-1 handles exactly like a Real.) Ryusei can tell that Robert is a pretty serious robot geek himself, to which he readily agrees: nothing captures the blazing passion of a man's soul like a giant robot.

"I'll be counting on you, R-1..."

Rai goes to meet Ingram in his office, asking that Ryusei be temporarily removed from the SRX roster for retraining. Ingram flatly tells him that there will be no changes to the SRX team, period. After a moment's silence, Rai asks for the real reason Ryusei was chosen as a pilot; Ingram denies that request as well, saying that there's no need for him to know. Before things can continue, the alarm goes off.

:eng101:The original has Rai speculate (in extremely vague terms) as to the reason.

The operator reports DC submarines detected passing through the Kanmon Straits, leading to a position that would allow them to strike at the further inland reaches of Japan. Laker finds this odd and suspects a decoy; given that the DCs' air mobility has been firmly established already, why would they send their submarines through a route they should know is easily monitored and defended? Hans has no room for such doubts, saying that they ought to mine the mouth of the strait and be done with it.

:what:: that is dumb you are dumb

Hans can't see the problem, it'd be great for him if a major section of allied waters was rendered unusable by mines. :drac: But decoy or no, the DC subs could still do real damage if left to their own devices, so Laker orders fighters and Kai's PT squad be sent to deal with them.

Mission 7: Defend the Kanmon Straits

Oh hey, it's Irm. Hi Irm!

Irm has a look at the enemy subs and can tell that whatever they're carrying could be serious trouble; luckily, we got to them before they could clear the straits. Still, he has his reservations; the DC favors blitzkrieg-like tactics, and this is so unlike them that he share's Lakers concerns about a decoy. Kai orders the troops to sortie, telling them to kit themselves out properly for the battle. I proceed to ignore his advice and leave the repair and resupply units I was given on the last mission unequipped. :downs: (For the moment these would go on Giado and Garnet, since they offer a way of gaining experience that doesn't involve getting shot at.)

I also confirm that yes, the Ryusei-route Gespies can work just fine underwater. Kyosuke's can't. For some reason.

Everybody sorties, and Kai reiterates that the goal is to keep the submarines from passing through the strait - but without outright destroying them. Ryusei asks why, and has to be told by Giado that if their nuclear reactors go critical, it's going to suck for pretty much everybody. Garnet can't believe they've been saddled with this guy again; Giado notes that he doesn't seem like the type for deep thinking - "sort of like you!" Garnet immediately goes off on him, which he claims proves his point.

Kai has to yell at them to cut the chatter, which brings them right in line again. He points out the dead zone for the mission; if either sub makes it past this line (the edge of the map), it's over.

:eng101:There's much ado here about catastrophic consequences for destroying a nuclear sub. I'm pretty sure this is the last time this will happen in OG1, as later on you'll be destroying them with abandon and suffering no ill effects. This is a bit of a callback to the first episode of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, where the destruction of Gene's Zaku causes an explosion large enough to tear a hole in the side of a space colony, causing Amuro to make a big deal of then carefully targeting Denim's cockpit block to avoid unnecessary damage - a precaution that's pretty much ignored for most, if not all, of the rest of the Gundam franchise. I don't know if it's a deliberate nod by the game to its forebears (it's a weird thing to call out if it is,) but there you go.

Objectives, and they're as Kai described. We have to bring the two submarines below 20% of their maximum health (3000 out of 15000 HP); destroying either, or letting one escape, will result in failure. Ryusei's also still the Most Important Character, since he's the only allied pilot whose loss is a failure condition. This is also the first time that the battle mastery condition has been unknown at mission start, which is typically a red flag that there will be enemy reinforcements at some point.

On the map we have the two Killer Whale-class submarines and a bunch of Schwert fighters. Let's get to it.

Turn 1 is spent advancing; the enemies don't move at all on their phase. This is in no way suspicious or indicative of their trying to lure us further from our home base.

Turn 2 we start to draw first blood. Rai gets close enough to autocannon one of the fighters to death; I probably should've Focused first, but I'm dumb. Ryusei is still my top ace, so he can use the 5-panel-range T-Link Ripper to take out a second. He doesn't need as many kills for the secret as Kyosuke does (55 by Mission 26, as opposed to 75) but I'd better stay on top of things regardless.

Irm proceeds to embarrass us all. :argh: He has Strike and Alert, which causes the caster to dodge the next attack to come their way. I could have cast Strike first, but I'm still dumb.

I bring Latooni up to try and cover for him, but she doesn't get a crit and with her still at neutral morale that's just not good enough.

Enemy phase, Irm manages to shoot down the plane he whiffed on earlier. Then he gets left at uncomfortably low health by another. A repair unit sure would be nice right now. :downs:

The next two jets go for Latooni and get Latooni'd into oblivion. The last two go for Rai and meet the same fate, leaving us with just the one Schwert that Irm failed to kill - and the subs, natch. Rai also hits level 7 and learns Strike, which is a bit unnecessary for him at the moment - he needs help dodging, not hitting.

Turn 3. Time to go to work on the Killer Whales. One of them will defend every time it's attacked, while the other will never defend and will counterattack if able.

Kai can only reach the defender, so he takes a shot and shaves off a few hundred health. This could take a while.

Aya shows Irm how it's done by finishing off that last Schwert, gaining a TK level in the process. It's not a bad idea to cast Gain on your secondary units whenever you expect them to kill something, even if it's only a grunt, to make up for the relative lack of kills that they'll be getting.

Finishing off the Schwerts was a trigger for reinforcements, and now it's Ryusei's turn to start meeting Lions en masse. Tenzan remarks that it doesn't feel right to be fighting against his own mother country, but don't think that's going to stop him; his turn has begun, so it's time to cut loose!

He remembers Ryusei's mech from before (three missions ago now) and decides to kick things off with a bang.

"There won't be a third time! DIE!"

"Try it four, five times, it still won't make a difference!"

Tenzan decides he wants to know this guy's name, so he raises Ryusei on the comm to ask, at which point they both discover who they've been fighting. (Never mind that Ryusei just responded directly to him during the battle...) Ryusei wants to know what Tenzan thinks he's doing fighting for the DCs, but Tenzan is too busy laughing at the situation - the whipped dog has decided he's going to get his revenge in a real fight! "These war games kick rear end!"

Ryusei can't believe his attitude towards war and killing; Tenzan just laughs at him some more, saying that they're both the same, after all. Didn't he join because he wanted a chance to pilot a real, honest-to-god robot? Ryusei has to admit that it's true; that is what he was thinking when he signed up. But it's different now; people's lives are riding on what happens, and that's nothing like a game. Tenzan begs to differ; the fact that people really end up dead just makes the game more exhilarating! Ryusei doesn't take well at all to hearing this, which suits Tenzan just fine; the clashing of two rivals just ups the tension, making the whole thing even better. He resumes his former position, saying that if Ryusei doesn't stop him here, a whole lot more people are going to end up dead.

:eng101: This is where original-Tenzan and remake-Tenzan meet up, this being where he and Ryusei are formally introduced in both versions. In the original Ryusei's reputation as the national Burning PT champion precedes him, but Tenzan just says things would've been different if he'd been at the tournament. (Guess he was right about that.) After this the two versions are pretty much identical, since the whole KILLING PEOPLE IS A FUN GAME thing supersedes Tenzan having once humiliated Ryusei at an e-sports tournament.

Our main objectives are unchanged, but we can now see the battle mastery requirement: take out Tenzan by the end of Turn 6, player phase. Some masteries will adjust themselves based on how quickly (or slowly) you've done the earlier part of the mission, but others won't, so it's best not to plan around that.

In any case, back to work. Looks like we need to close the distance to those Lions, so we start shuffling over in that direction, taking incidental potshots at the subs as we go by. Irm GESPENST PUNCHES the first sub (he actually yells this during his attack), but since it defends, he does the same amount of damage that Latooni does to the second with the Messer's missiles.

Also, here's Irm's theme song. It's not one of my favorites, but it suits him.

It's highly unlikely that you'll have trouble with the Killer Whales getting away from you, but just in case it's a good idea to park your units in their way and box them in when possible.

Enemy phase, a few of the Lions make their move. One of them goes for Rai and gets shot down. The subs do me the favor of moving closer to shore, where it takes fewer of my guys to block their movement.

Turn 4. I bring Ryusei up to help complete the anti-submarine meatwall and take out the closest Lion. Neither Irm nor Kai can reach the Lions, so I twin them up, have Kai cast Valor, and have them do their thing on the subs. I use Kai as the "main" attacker, since Irm isn't in any shape to take another hit.

BOOSH

DOUBLE BOOSH

Yes, that's the biggest hit we've dealt so far. I may have gotten a bit overzealous here. If I'd done this an attack or two later, we'd be looking at the game-over screen now. Anyway, all's well that ends well, and the first sub is disabled. The rest of Turn 4 consists of chipping away at the remaining sub and inching towards the Lions while staying just out of railgun range.

Enemy phase, Tenzan goes for Latooni.

"What's this now? A kid?"

Tenzan doesn't know how hitrates work. Also, Latooni's response: "Is it over already?" :iceburn:

The remaining Lions approach (narrowly missing the item box) and try to go for Latooni as well. She can be used as a lightning rod in almost any situation - put her in front of everybody else and the entire enemy force will spend its time fruitlessly trying to take her down. Unfortunately her Messer isn't good enough to do much on the counterattack.

Turn 5; Kai and Irm double-team one of the Lions.

Tenzan will support-defend the guy next to him (seriously, this seems completely out of character for him), so I fumble around for a while trying to line up a support attack that can take out both at once, without success. I finally settle for sitting around until the enemy phase and letting the guy commit suicide-by-Latooni.

Then he goes for the Gespy Bros. instead. :shrug:

Turn 6, player phase, Ryusei finishes Tenzan off without any trouble. Tenzan doesn't seem too fazed by his loss, saying that a couple setbacks just help to liven a match up. He's bought some time, and now he's hungry, so it's time to head on home. He leaves, promising to pick things up again next time.

The group realizes that Irm's gut instinct was right - this really was a decoy. Kai orders them to finish things up quickly.

Also, Ryusei got two levels (with a little help from Garnet) and learned Strike.

Kai Valors up again, and he and Irm finish disabling the other submarine.

Celebration is cut short by a transmission from Ingram, confirming the group's fears; another sub has been detected off of Kumano, headed for the Izu peninsula.

Back at the base, Ingram informs them that Mishima has been bombed. This surprises Giado and Irm, as the location has no particular strategic and military importance - but they're getting closer to occupying a position where they can just MAPW any remaining resistance in Japan.

Ryusei thinks about his three-missions-delayed discovery that Tenzan became a pilot as well. Was Tenzan also scouted via the Burning PT tournament? If so, how did the DCs end up with his data? Garnet comes by to chat, and opens right of by asking if it's true that he got selected because of a video game. She doesn't quite think it's fair that he just gets handed a state-of-the-art Gespenst for being good at a game. He asks if she knows of anybody else being selected that way, but she hasn't heard of it happening. Oh well, she says lightly, maybe if she'd logged a few hours in Burning PT she'd be piloting a Gespenst now too!

Ryusei doesn't really think taking civilians and forcing them to fight a war is something to joke about. This surprises Garnet, especially given that Tenzan seemed pretty darn happy about his situation. He agrees with that, causing her to ask him why he's fighting. Until meeting Tenzan today, he hadn't put a lot of thought into it, but now he knows - there are people out there who think human lives are nothing, and he has to fight to protect his family and friends from them!

Sakae and Laker are going over the data they've received on the DC forces, and sure enough, the Feds are outclassed in every meaningful way. Most troubling are their EOT-assisted stealth submarines, which their sonar and magnetic scanning are unable to reliably detect. With everything they're facing, Laker has come to understand, the base stands no real chance against the DCs. To protect the SRX machines and personnel... it may be best to transfer them to the 2nd Space Noah vessel.

And that's all for now. Updates in general are probably going to be less frequent from now on, mostly because I'd had this crazy idea about also spending time in my life doing other things not related to playing a game for the Internet.

Next time: Space Germans.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Seyser Koze posted:

Tenzan doesn't know how hitrates work. Also, Latooni's response: "Is it over already?" :iceburn:

Hahaha owned. This is why Latooni rules.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Technically, Irm's theme song is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk8Xa0nqYKU. Back when F/Final were coming out, Banpresto decided to give all eight of the OCs unique image songs, some better than others. It would've been pretty cool if Irm and Ring got to keep their image songs for OGs, but I guess licensing might've been a problem (or just laziness on Banpresto's part).

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Everybody sorties, and Kai reiterates that the goal is to keep the submarines from passing through the strait - but without outright destroying them. Ryusei asks why, and has to be told by Giado that if their nuclear reactors go critical, it's going to suck for pretty much everybody.

Thankfully, that's not a thing that can actually happen. You'd have to try very hard to make a nuclear reactor that was capable of reaching criticality. Reactors use uranium that is 3-4% fissile material. Weapons use 90% fissile material. It has to do with the rate the material chain reacts. That's why nuclear fuel rods last for years, while nuclear warheads explode in a tiny fraction of a second.

(Also, about this kind of thing popping up in the first couple episodes of Gundam and then being forgotten about. It actually comes up fairly often in Victory Gundam. So there's that. Of course, UC mobile suit reactors are fusion-based. It also happens twice in the Cosmic Era, but that's different.)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
All I remember about Victory Gundam is about 90% of the female cast lusting after a 13-year-old boy.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Wounded Land posted:

Technically, Irm's theme song is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk8Xa0nqYKU. Back when F/Final were coming out, Banpresto decided to give all eight of the OCs unique image songs, some better than others. It would've been pretty cool if Irm and Ring got to keep their image songs for OGs, but I guess licensing might've been a problem (or just laziness on Banpresto's part).

Speaking of F/Final, what we now know as Jet Magnum was invented by one of the OCs as 'Gespenst Punch', which is probably why Irm says that when using the Jet Magnum.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Wounded Land posted:

TIME TO COME is actually the theme to SRW4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSP64-ZpJY

Which explains why Ring has it as her theme music, too.

edit:
And here's the sung version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m7xP_9SJuA
The lyrics for this song were originally featured in the karaoke mode of the SNES version of SRW4.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 8, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Speaking of F/Final, what we now know as Jet Magnum was invented by one of the OCs as 'Gespenst Punch', which is probably why Irm says that when using the Jet Magnum.
Yep, Patricia Hackman (one of the other female archetypes in F/F Final) is the one who came up with the attack. Aside from that, her only other claim to fame is that she's voiced by Rei Ayanami's VA, Megumi Hayashibara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

AradoBalanga posted:

Yep, Patricia Hackman (one of the other female archetypes in F/F Final) is the one who came up with the attack. Aside from that, her only other claim to fame is that she's voiced by Rei Ayanami's VA, Megumi Hayashibara.

I'm still hoping for some sort of PTX Team prequel so all the other F/Final characters can finally re-emerge from obscurity, though I know it'll never happen. :smith:

• Locked thread