Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

This just reminds me of how crippling it feels to go back to Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics after playing SRW. 3 squares of movement a turn and no Spirits? gently caress that noise.

I donno. In FFT you can literally unlock the ability to teleport anywhere on the map and in Disgaea high-end movement is "literally anywhere"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

I donno. In FFT you can literally unlock the ability to teleport anywhere on the map and in Disgaea high-end movement is "literally anywhere"

Teleport1 has a failure rate, and I'm prone to statistical anomalies. I just stick to Ninjas with Ignore Height since the maps are so tiny.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, I believe the math (Arios' base speed + Movement +1 FUB + Dash + Accel + 2 Megaboosters) wound up giving Arios Gundam a whopping TWENTY movement. Meaning on a good number of Z2.2 maps, the guy could traverse the entire map in one action.

The Awakened Unicorn Gundam can hit the same absurd heights in BX if you give him Dash, let him hit Ace, and pair him with Riddhe (who knows Accel on top of providing more move bonus through partner bonuses). Banagher had an absolutely retarded 23 MOVEMENT in my playthrough.

Admittedly, the AGE-2 Dark Hound can cheat to get those same numbers but it also doesn't get to attack after the fact, so v:shobon:v

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
meanwhile, here I am playing Civ VI, where the vast majority of units have 2 MP, have to have one remaining to attack, and get slowed down to 1 in rough terrain, meaning the basic infantry is almost impossible to use

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Broken Loose posted:

Teleport1 has a failure rate, and I'm prone to statistical anomalies. I just stick to Ninjas with Ignore Height since the maps are so tiny.

It's a 10% chance of failure per each square outside your character's normal Move radius, yeah. Most maps aren't bigger than 12x12 and I think the absolute biggest maps in the game are 16x9 (DELTA in the Deep Dungeon) and 15x10 (Lost Sacred Precincts). It's enough that you could mostly reliably Teleport your way across a map in two or three turns (since Teleport ignores height intrinsically), but going from one corner to the other is a pipe dream.

Contrast SRW, where maps are on average 30-50 tiles on each axis and the biggest maps go up in the hundreds. You kind of need things like Accel, even with a 7-10 movement radius, just to keep up at a decent pace, and god help you if you were caught with your pants down halfway across the map when the Battle Mastery needs to be completed this turn.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 11, 2016

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
On the upside, everybody in FFT has intrinsic Hit & Away.

Why don't we translate that as Hit & Run? I know H&A is literal transliteration of the katakana but just saying

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
FFT is at least a lot more intimate than SRW, yeah. But SRW does giant waves of mooks a lot better.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
No other game has "Detestable Visitors" heralding a wave of reinforcements.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
To me, the key feature of Super Robot Wars is the "Objectives updated" indicator.

No, seriously. It's the only SRPG I've ever played with dynamically changing objectives, and it's my favorite feature of the series.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Objectives. We need to get either Ibis or Masaki to the target location within 6 turns, or within 4 or the mastery.

We're up against a bunch of jazzed-up MP Huckebeins and Landlions, as well as some of the Inspectors' Garoika drones. Some of these Garoikas are actually the upgraded Garoika Nai, because why not. Also there's a set of Barrelions in the back, forming a wall around the target point, because where else would you find a Barrelion than in the place where it'll cause the most annoyance.

Speaking of annoyance, none of our four pilots are in real danger of getting hit, but hitting them is a royal pain in the rear end. Thankfully everybody has SP regen at this point, with the exception of Masaki, who we've barely used since he joined.

However, casting Focus every turn doesn't really help us actually hit the targets. These bioroid pilots have some pretty insane dodging, and they've got the forested terrain giving them cover to boot. Casting Strike is pretty much mandatory for hitting the Landlions, although your odds of hitting the Hucksters are a little more reasonable.

I spend the first couple turns just running past the enemies to get to the Barrels. There'll be plenty of time to clear them out later. All the good hardware is on other people this time around, so Ibis is reduced to plinking away at people with her machine guns.

On the other hand, enemies who attack her on their phase get a Sonic Breaker to the face, which is a little more edifying.

Meanwhile, the R-3 is the slowest of our "fast" units, so Aya ends up drawing the brunt of the enemy attacks.

She can handle it, though.

On the third turn Aya warns us that only four (read: two) minutes remain. And we've still got that wall of Barrelions in front of us.

To be as Barreliony as possible, the Barrel pilots all have Support Defense. With only four people, we don't have time to brute-force our way through the supports, so Lune moves up and unloads with a Psycho Blaster.

It still doesn't quite finish them off.

So Aya steps up to finish the job with her Telekinesis Missiles.

The damage is pretty terrible - this is with Valor - but at this point in the game, SP Regen means we can use Valor for convenience's sake a lot more often.

We manage to blow a hole in the formation, leaving us with a clear shot to the target point.

But at that moment, Aya senses more foes incoming; sure enough, another pack of Lions appears, blocking the path.

But... really? Oh no, four loosely-spaced Lions. Whatever shall we do. :nallears:

Shiro: "If this keeps up, we're gonna run out of time!"
Ibis: "Don't give up, Shiro! If we give up, it's all over!"

Sleigh: "Still the optimist, Ibis."
Ibis: "Huh!?"

Sleigh arrives on the scene with impeccable timing, destroying the enemy reinforcements in a single pass.

But again. Lions. :nallears:

Ibis: "Sleigh... did you come to help me?"
Sleigh: "Don't misunderstand, Ibis. My goal is to recapture Tesla... this is all for that."
Aya: "Then you'll assist us?"
Sleigh: "Yes. I think that will be most effective, for now."

Ibis: "Sleigh... thank you..."
Sleigh: "I don't care about your thanks. Just remember that the next time we meet, we'll be enemies again."
Ibis: "Even so, you came to help Filio after all... I'm so glad!"
Sleigh: "....."

Masaki: "So you're here to help. Well, let's do this, Miss Comet."
Sleigh: "Comet...?"
Shiro: "Why 'Comet?'"
Masaki: "Well, her rival's a Shooting Star, isn't she? And her mech's red, so that works."
Shiro: "So we're calling her the Red Comet?"
Kuro: "You're going to get us in trouble!"

Kuro: "Anyway, isn't scarlet a more hero-like color?"
Masaki: "Hero? Um... is that allowed?"
Kuro: "Um, I... guess so?"
Lune: "Well, that sounds like a good name, Masaki."
Sleigh: "A comet... it's not a bad nickname. Then let me show you the difference between a comet and a shooting star!"

:pseudo: For non-mecha geeks, "Red Comet" was the nickname of Mobile Suit Gundam ace Char Aznable, who always piloted a red mech. Except for that one time at the end of the series where he didn't, and for that one other series where he didn't.

But wait, kids. It gets better. Kuro suggests that Sleigh is more blood-red or scarlet-colored instead. "Scarlet-colored" in Japanese is hiiro (緋色) - as in Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing, who's also voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa, Masaki's voice actor. :suicide:

So now Sleigh's Calion is on the field, and we have to keep her alive... until we reach the target point. Which, you may have noticed, isn't that far off.

In fact, it's one move away.

:toot:

Ibis: "We... we made it! I did it!"
Sleigh: "Naturally. You had me backing you up."

Ibis: "Thanks, Sleigh! You're still number one!"
Sleigh: "Uh... y-yeah..."

If Masaki had reached the target point instead, you'd get the following:

quote:

Masaki: "All right! We've got us a foothold!"
Sleigh: "Hmph... I guess this was still too much for you, Shooting Star."
Ibis: "I don't care who got there first, Sleigh. We're all in this mission together."
Sleigh: :argh:

The Hiryu Kai and Hagane arrive on schedule, and everyone immediately recognizes Sleigh's Calion. Leona starts to speak up, but Sleigh immediately cuts her off, telling her not to waste time suggesting that they should fight together.

Tsugumi: "Sleigh!"
Sleigh: "I'm impressed, Chief. You managed to make something of Ibis after all."
Tsugumi: "I didn't do much of anything. Ibis put the effort in."
Sleigh: "You'd do well as an animal trainer. Teaching dogs to heel..."
Ibis: "Sleigh..."

Sleigh: "Don't act like we're friends! Next time we meet, you'll see - no amount of training is ever going to put you above me!"
Tsugumi: "Sleigh, wait! Come with us to Tesla!"
Sleigh: "Give my brother a message! There's no point in trusting his dream to Number 4!"

Ibis: "Sleigh, you... you idiot..."
Tsugumi: (Haven't you figured it out, Sleigh? You can cling to your number-one spot, but Ibis won't be outdone, no matter how many times you shoot her down...)

At any rate, with the path cleared, all that remains is to get the Hagane and Hiryu Kai inland.

Accordingly, our new objective is to get the battleships to the target location - although wiping out the enemies will work just as well.

Now that the full brunt of our forces are here, there's not too much to say. There's no longer a time limit, so my main priority right now is to get a few of the people who've been lagging behind leveled up. Our current level spread is from level 22 (Russell) up to level 29 or so (our active participants). Lagging behind are Russell and, surprisingly, Latooni, with Ryoto as the third in line. Since there was one space unfilled, I took the liberty of putting Russell in a Grungust.

Russell can plink away a hit or two at a time, finishing off enemies who were already weakened... but that's not really Grungust-worthy, is it. If only there were a way for him to hit harder.

Like twinning him up with Katina and using a twin spirit, for example. Russell's twin spirit is Synchronize, which will set the stats of both pilots equal to whoever's value was higher.

So a stat spread that started out like this...

...ends up turning into this. Granted, Katina doesn't benefit from this nearly as much, but this isn't her moment, is it?

We're going to have some pure overkill fun here. This is the moment for dual Katinas. Double-barrelled Katinas!

Pretty decent, given that Russell doesn't know Valor.

22 to 26 in a couple turns. Not bad.

Once we cross a certain point with our ships, a bunch of additional Barrelions, Lions, and Garoikas appear, but nothing that's particularly noteworthy.

We'll just keep right on zan-ing and hammering our way forward.

The main thing of note is that Irm Giga-Blasters a good chunk of the forces on one side of the field. Unfortunately, they're low-value grunts.

Not much else to say about this mission. Apart from Sleigh's abortive attempt at helping you, you can just waltz right through without incident.

Once you've cleared out the last of the enemies...

The battleships automatically move to the target point, and the captains order full speed ahead toward Tesla.

36 Highlights

-----

Langley

Vigagi: "What!? They've recaptured Hawaii!?"
Mekibos: "Yep. According to Aguija's report, their force was far greater than she expected."
Vigagi: "Tch, drat that woman... that's three times she's been made a fool by the Earthlings!"

Sikalog: :itjb:
Vigagi: "What's that face, Sikalog? Is there something you want to say!?"
Mekibos: "C'mon, Vigagi, calm down."
Vigagi: "How can I be calm? What am I going to tell Wendolo!?"
Mekibos: "There was nothing you could do. None of us expected the Feds and NDCs to suddenly start working together."

Vigagi: "Grr... Mekibos, you're in charge of Langley! I'm going to the front!"
Mekibos: "Whatever you say, Fearless Leader."

Mekibos: (Well, well... At this rate, we really are going to end up relying on them.)

Only one post-battle scene this time, so I figured I'd just tack it onto the main update. While we're at it...

-----

Ouka: "This seems like a good time for a break. Seolla, would you like to take a bath?"
Seolla: "Yes, sister."
Ouka: "Then shall we go?"

Arado: "Phew... man, I'm bushed. Well, I've got some time. A nice long soak sounds great right about now."

Seolla: "Kyaaaa! Arado-san, you pervert!"
Arado: "Buh!? San!? Why are you calling me that!?"

Yeah, it's one of those jokes. :shrug: Honorific use is actually fairly uncommon among the main SRW crew. Aside from Excellen calling half the team "-chan", Arado and Bullet using "-san" when addressing older women, and Shine's "Raidy-sama," they generally just go without - although that's probably because they refer to each other by military rank instead.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 18, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I love that the power of friendship causes Sleigh physical pain.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Ibis is the best. The best, I say!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Ibis is so weirdly optimistic in the face of Sleigh's raging dickotry.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alacron posted:

Ibis is so weirdly optimistic in the face of Sleigh's raging dickotry.

I mean despite how Sleigh acts in every scene and how much she'll tell every other character how useless Ibis is and how much she hates her. Ever since she left the team she seems strangely unable to act that way when interacting with her directly. Even back when she first betrayed them she almost immediately rejoined the group after Ibis asked her to. Sleigh's fairly transparent about actually liking her.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ibis is a pure soul who can do no wrong and deserves a better mech. Also better stats.

Seyser Koze posted:

Sikalog: :juggernaut:

Did you mean :itjb: here? I don't blame you because I got it wrong like three times before I finally looked it up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Interesting note here: this is the first time we see the gray MP Huckbeins, which IIRC, are just slightly beefed up enemy-exclusive versions (more HP and a few boosted stats). They only show up here and in a few later stages, but after that, this color scheme never appears again in the OG timeline.

Anyhew, this is pretty much a blatant breather stage to give the player a break after the whirlwind set of stages following the Graein coup. Hell, Sleigh's appearance is almost a footnote here; you could remove it and pretty much change nothing about the stage.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You could remove this stage from the game, adding the intermission scenes to the beginning of the next stage's, and it really wouldn't feel like the game is missing anything.

I guess they really wanted one last breather stage somewhere before things got :getin: at Langley.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's a very nothing-really-happens stage (although Sleigh actively refusing the chance to rescue Filio is sort of significant), but considering the parade of pain and explosions that's coming up, I don't mind a breather.

GimmickMan posted:

Did you mean :itjb: here? I don't blame you because I got it wrong like three times before I finally looked it up.

I started looking for it in the giant barely-sorted smileys list, but :effort:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, Russell! That... that guy who does the thing.

I understand the principle of catching dudes up but it feels like you're never going to fill all the deploy slots anyway, so why bother?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Because Russel is awesome, that's why. The grunt of grunts.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

Yes, Russell! That... that guy who does the thing.

I understand the principle of catching dudes up but it feels like you're never going to fill all the deploy slots anyway, so why bother?
Usually, you are going to run into pilots that are only useful for a while in these games, then get sent to the bench as more powerful/versatile pilots join up. But, then there are times where you need to keep an eye on certain pilots because of either force deploys or secrets that need that specific pilot to be in certain conditions (i.e., certain level and/or kill count). Generally, it's the former that motivates players to keep people leveled up, but an example of the latter would be the Dijeh S-ER secret over in Brunom's MX LP. That unit required almost a dozen pilots to all be level 25 by a certain point in the game to unlock, and several of them (hi, Mondo and Beecha!) are absolutely horrible pilots that any sane person would shove to the bench as they got better pilots.

For a more relevant case, in 2nd OGs, one of the most infamous secret weapons, the Free Electron Cannon, is tied directly to Russel himself. The unlock conditions require getting Russel at least 50 kills by stage 47, then have him kill 15 more enemies in stage 48, and then on top of that, kill a named boss unit by turn 4 in the same stage. The kicker is that absolutely nobody knew how to get this weapon because it required using a pilot that by the time you reached stages 47/48, the normal player benched or kept him as a support unit away from combat. And I'm not kidding about nobody figuring this out; not even the most die hard Japanese players even found out about this secret until 2nd OGs' Perfect Bible came out and revealed the secret. It's stuff like these cases that are why catching people up is something that tends to happen in SRW games. Yes, it's annoying as hell, but more often than not, the rewards are worth all the trouble of power grinding lovely or underwhelming pilots.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

AradoBalanga posted:

Usually, you are going to run into pilots that are only useful for a while in these games, then get sent to the bench as more powerful/versatile pilots join up. But, then there are times where you need to keep an eye on certain pilots because of either force deploys or secrets that need that specific pilot to be in certain conditions (i.e., certain level and/or kill count). Generally, it's the former that motivates players to keep people leveled up, but an example of the latter would be the Dijeh S-ER secret over in Brunom's MX LP. That unit required almost a dozen pilots to all be level 25 by a certain point in the game to unlock, and several of them (hi, Mondo and Beecha!) are absolutely horrible pilots that any sane person would shove to the bench as they got better pilots.

For a more relevant case, in 2nd OGs, one of the most infamous secret weapons, the Free Electron Cannon, is tied directly to Russel himself. The unlock conditions require getting Russel at least 50 kills by stage 47, then have him kill 15 more enemies in stage 48, and then on top of that, kill a named boss unit by turn 4 in the same stage. The kicker is that absolutely nobody knew how to get this weapon because it required using a pilot that by the time you reached stages 47/48, the normal player benched or kept him as a support unit away from combat. And I'm not kidding about nobody figuring this out; not even the most die hard Japanese players even found out about this secret until 2nd OGs' Perfect Bible came out and revealed the secret. It's stuff like these cases that are why catching people up is something that tends to happen in SRW games. Yes, it's annoying as hell, but more often than not, the rewards are worth all the trouble of power grinding lovely or underwhelming pilots.

Also because Seyser's putting who to deploy up to the vote every mission, so he might end up with Russell all the time.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Speaking of which, next mission on Super Adobo Bison:

- We get the best joke in the game!
- We get the worst joke in the game!
- Old men with swords!
- Young men with swords!
- Robotic men with swords!
- Manly bonding!
- The thread title finally becomes obsolete!

- also i guess we might get around to rescuing filio

Mission 37 Roster - all slots filled

Current Roster:
Sanger (Grungust Type-3)
Ratsel (Huckebein Mk. III horse)
Masaki (Cybuster)
Shine (Fairlion-G)
Latooni (Fairlion-S)
Gilliam (Gespenst RV)
Kusuha/Bullet (:smaug:/:catdrugs:)
Leona (Wildwurger-L :ssh:)
Kai (Grungust)
Tasuku (Huckebein Boxer)
Radha (Alteisen :getin:)
Ibis (Astelion)
Ryusei (R-1)
Rai (R-2)
Aya (R-3)
Russell (:fireman:)
Mai (Grungust Type-2)

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 19, 2016

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Seyser Koze posted:

Speaking of which, next mission on Super Adobo Bison:

- We get the best joke in the game!
- We get the worst joke in the game!
- Old men with swords!
- Young men with swords!
- Robotic men with swords!
- Manly bonding!
- The thread title finally becomes obsolete!

Hell YEAH!

quote:

- also i guess we might get around to rescuing filio

...meh.

Anywho, let's go with Masaki and the Cybuster.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

We're about to get the best part of OG2. Even better than dancing idol robots.

Speaking of which, bring along Lat and Shine in said dancing idol robots

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bring Gilliam in the RV

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

This goon has the right idea. Both parts of it.

That said, this fight also needs some extra manliness by way of Kushua dropping mountains on some fools. I guess Bullet and his half of the transforming mech can come along too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's one unit per vote so here's another vote for these two.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

GimmickMan posted:

It's one unit per vote so here's another vote for these two.

Since we didn't get enough votes to actually fill the roster last time, it might be time to waive that rule for members of combination attacks (especially since we're about to get a couple more in the next couple missions - spoilers)

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Someone already beat me to the punch, so let's go with Leona in the WildWurger L and give it good ranged weapons.
Excited for next chapter.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

Since we didn't get enough votes to actually fill the roster last time, it might be time to waive that rule for members of combination attacks (especially since we're about to get a couple more in the next couple missions - spoilers)

In that case, bring Kai in the Grungust to the Aggressors get-together party.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I cast my vote for Tasuku in the Huckebein Boxer.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
You know what? I feel like being mean.

Radha in the Alteisen, boys.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Once again asking for Ibis in the Astelion

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Sordas Volantyr posted:

:moments:

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just quoting this because I just noticed that this is the first time outside of Virtue's Last Reward that I've seen "dunno" spelled that way.

Also I finished Zero Time Dilemma a couple weeks ago and the ending filled me with despair for humanity and video game writing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I saw a bunch of new posts and thought i missed the vote. But since I didn't I think i'll make the most out of my choice and pick The SRX. It's like 3 for the price of one. What value!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

:moments:

I'm just quoting this because I just noticed that this is the first time outside of Virtue's Last Reward that I've seen "dunno" spelled that way.

Also I finished Zero Time Dilemma a couple weeks ago and the ending filled me with despair for humanity and video game writing.

You're not the first person to say that! I didn't know it was so weird!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Sordas Volantyr posted:

That's not mean. Russell in the Schwert is mean.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

One spot left? Mai in the Grungust Type-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
That's everyone!

This will be. A thing.

• Locked thread