Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Friend Commuter posted:

That's not mean. Russell in the Schwert is mean.

Oh, I had half a mind to stick Rai in the Schutzwald with the express intent of locking Seyzer out of the SRX, but I figured I'd start small by screwing Seyzer out of putting somebody decent in the Alteisen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Oh, I had half a mind to stick Rai in the Schutzwald with the express intent of locking Seyzer out of the SRX, but I figured I'd start small by screwing Seyzer out of putting somebody decent in the Alteisen.

Yeah, it woulda been Ryusei in the Schwert if the SRX wasn't already in.

Never mind, Russell's tough, right? He can survive in a jet.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
OG sure likes making characters who will eventually join your team extremely unlikeable, doesn't it?
Also, relevant to the benched characters discussion, I'm currently playing Z2, and I don't know how I'll go back to a game without Sub-Orders if those don't become a permanent part of the series.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 37

Well, the will of the people has been heard, so we're dusting off the Schwert. Naturally, we're putting all the armor on it. That's aerodynamic, right?

Vindel and Axel have been keeping a close eye on Operation Plantagenet's progress. By all appearances, the tide has turned; the Earthlings have the upper hand through the Federation and Neue DCs' cooperation. On the Shadow Mirrors' world, a faction of NDCs reached out to join forces with the invaders - but this time, the Shadow Mirrors will be playing that role. Axel falls silent for a moment, but when Vindel asks if he has any complaints, he just says that this war is what they came to this world to create; there's no point in being led astray by petty worries.

Axel: "But what about you, Lee Linjun? You're from this side. Don't you hate the aliens? This doesn't bother you?"
Lee: "If this conflict is necessary for the Earth to become strong... strong enough that others will fear to attack... then it can't be helped. However, Colonel Vindel..."
Vindel: "I know. When there's nothing more to be gained from them, it will be time."
Lee: "Good."
Axel: (I don't think he realizes that he's in the same position...)

According to their operatives, Van Vat Tran has departed the Earth Cradle for the assault on Langley, while the Hiryu Kai and Hagane have successfully penetrated the west coast and are en route to Tesla Reich. Axel comments that they're not far off; maybe somebody should go have a look? Vindel flatly tells him that he'll do no such thing - but the Shadow Mirrors do have a reason to keep an eye on Tesla, and after their last encounter, it would seem wise to reduce their power somewhat.

Axel: "Except for Beowulf and Helios... no, Beowulf as well."
Vindel: "On this side he's just another soldier. Mind yourself, Axel... and don't lose sight of what's in front of you."
Axel: "Yeah... I know."
Vindel: "Captain Lee, send W15 in the Thrudgelmir."
Lee: "Sir."

-----

???: "Wodan..."
Wodan: "....."
???: "Wodan Ymir..."
Wodan: "I am the Sword of Magus... I will slay all... of Magus' foes..."

-----

Lemon: "W15... your mission this time is to reduce the Hagane and Hiryu Kai's strength. But don't harm Helios. Beowulf I leave to your judgement."
Wodan: "And what of Sanger... Sanger Zonvolt?"
Lemon: "...What do you want to do?"
Wodan: "...I hope for a duel, man to man."
Lemon: "Do you? Or..."

Lemon: "...Well, do as you like. I hope to see if you can maintain your sense of self. But remember something; defeating the original Sanger Zonvolt is the only way Wodan Ymir can become the Sword of Magus in truth."

-----

The bioroids at Tesla are abuzz about a pair of approaching enemy units. They're most likely allies - and with only two of them, Filio can guess who they might be.

Filio: "Major Zonvolt! And El..."
Ratsel: "We're here to pick up Commander Bian's package, my friend... and to rescue you."
Filio: "Heh... you always did have a strong sense of duty."

Bioroid: "REMAIN WHERE YOU ARE. THOSE WHO RESIST WILL BE SHOT."
Jonathan: "You sure it's okay to kill us? There'll be nobody left to go through the data."
In response, the bioroid fires a warning shot.
Bioroid: "THOSE WHO RESIST WILL BE SHOT."
Jonathan: "All right, all right... we'll be good."

Rishu: (Jonathan...)
Jonathan: (I know. We have to get the Double-Gs to them... Filio, you ready?)
Filio: (Yes...)

Sanger yells that he'll dispose of the small fry - Ratsel will see to the rescue.

Our objective is to get Ratsel to the Institute, within four turns for the mastery.

The target point is completely enclosed by Barrelions (of course), with a few Landlions and Huckebeins also standing in our way. There's also a handful of Gunsects further out; we haven't seen them for a while.

They're still nothing special.

By the second turn Ratsel has pushed ahead to the structure. The Barrels have support defense, but there's one on the end with nobody backing it up. (Not that it ends up being necessary. Ratsel and Sanger are both powerful enough to tear these guys apart in a couple of hits.)

We take an extra turn to thin out the defenders a bit, then Ratsel hits the target point at the beginning of Turn 4.

:toot:

Ratsel's at the Institute, but hasn't picked up any signs of life. Have they moved the professors away? He prepares to dismount...

...When Vigagi arrives, none too happy to see that the black Huckebein has returned. Sanger tells Ratsel to go ahead and collect Bian's legacy while he keeps the Inspector at bay; after a moment of concern for his friend, Ratsel complies. For his part, Vigagi is outraged to learn that there was a mech stored in secret here after all, which means the professors have played him for a fool all this time. But still...

Vigagi: "Hmph. You think you can stop the Galgau alone? Do you expect your warrior spirit to see you through, no matter the situation? You are just primitives, after all..."
Sanger: "SILENCE!"
Vigagi: "!"
Sanger: "Hear me! I am Sanger! Sanger Zonvolt!"

"I AM THE SWORD THAT SMITES EVIL!"

He casts a bunch of free spirits, including Valor, Guard, and a full heal.

Vigagi: "Evil!? In all the galaxy, you are the evil ones!"
Sanger: "Your words mean nothing after you chose to invade our world!"
Vigagi: "A preventative measure! We must contain the disease before it spreads throughout the galaxy!"
Sanger: "Disease...!?"
Vigagi: "Yes! Your kind will upset the balance of the galaxy! That's why you must be monitored... no, that's why you must be brought to heel!"
Sanger: "If you would make us submit by force, you are no less barbaric!"
Vigagi: "Hold your tongue! I will not be lectured by primitives! You will all die here!"

So now we have to kill everything. Since the Galgau has 170k HP, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to guess that Sanger isn't meant to take him down.

Vigagi has brought a number of friends with him - more Huckebeins, Barrels, and Landlions, as well as some Garoika drones off-camera to the south - but none of them move an inch. Which is pretty ridiculous.

On the other hand, that gives me plenty of time to finish smiting the remaining Barrels from the initial defenders.

Vigagi does move, but between the free Guard, the defensive terrain, and the Grungust Type-3's armor, he can't make much of a dent in us either.

There are a couple of ways to advance things. You can just let Sanger get beat up beyond a certain threshold, or else just wait for a few turns. One of these results in more dead enemies, so that's the one I take.

A couple turns later...

Vigagi: "Hmph. Is that all? Is that the extent of your power?"
Sanger: "Ngh...!"
Vigagi: "Bah! You're all talk!"

Sanger: "Rgghh!" (Not yet! I can't fall yet! I must hold out until Ratsel returns!)

So, Thanksgiving and multiple work trips pushed the awesome back a couple more weeks than expected. But we're underway now!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Bah! Sanger will not fall until the evil has been cleaved!

wait, is it cleaved? Cloven?

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Alacron posted:

Bah! Sanger will not fall until the evil has been cleaved!

wait, is it cleaved? Cloven?

SMITED-ed

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Besmittened.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I do believe you'll find that the proper term is smote.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Cleaved in the Queen's English, cloven or cleft in US English.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

This is the best mission for so many reasons. In the GBA game, in this one, and in the anime (possible minor spoilers in related videos). It's just so amazing. :allears:

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 12, 2016

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Finally caught up. It feels like it took a month to read this topic.

And apparently just in time for a cliffhanger.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I do believe you'll find that the proper term is smote.

I think you mean smoked.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Hey! After this mission we can actually post the opening of the anime without it being a spoiler anymore!

But yeah...Sanger and Elsam Rätsel kicking rear end together is never gonna get old.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Argas posted:

I think you mean smoked.

Smitterpated.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

In the control center, the professors remain under gunpoint. As surreptitiously as possible, Filio has managed to get the remote start-up sequence going, but there's some kind of problem with Unit 1's routines. Furthermore, Unit 2 will need more time to charge. It's not good news, but under the enemy's watchful eye, it's the best they've been able to do.

Bioroid: "YOU. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
Filio: "...!"

Rishu: "Oh, dear... you've discovered my embarrassing habit of talking to myself."
Bioroid: :geno:
Rishu: "But still... could you grant a poor old man's request? Might I have my cane?"
Rishu: "I'm afraid age has taken its toll on me... it's just an ordinary stick, as you can see."
Rishu: "Please... cough, cough. If you would."

Jonathan: (M-Master, your acting is terrible...)
Rishu: (Then you should be helping out, you fool!)
Bioroid: "...MOVE AND YOU WILL BE SHOT."

But at that moment, Ratsel makes his timely entrance and shoots the guard.

He apologizes for the delay (and gives Rishu his cane), but there's no time to waste; Sanger is in trouble on the outside, and they need the Double-G unit active immediately. The four of them set off for the lift to the underground hangar...

-----

...Which turns out to be outside, of all places. Five bioroids are patrolling the general area - a tricky fight for Ratsel, even with the surprise on his side.

Rishu: "Hmm... Ratsel, back me up, will you?"
Ratsel: "What?"
Jonathan: "W-wait! Master!?"

Rishu: "KIAAAAAAI!"
Bioroid: :dead:
Rishu: "IRYAAAAA!"

But the next Bioroid gets a shot off.

And Rishu just straight-up deflects it with his sword.

Rishu: "CHESTOOOOOO!"

:phew:
Ratsel: ..... (I... don't think he needed the help.)

Filio is properly awed by the display, and Rishu has himself a hearty laugh - never underestimate the power of the Zol-Orichalconium sword-cane! And repelling bullets isn't even that big a deal - Lune can do it easily. But there's no more time for fun - Sanger needs their help!

-----

Vigagi: "I do believe this is the end."

"Ngh...! The Zankanto---!!"

Vigagi tears the Type-3's arm from its body, and the Zankanto is sent flying some distance away. Now sword-less, this really does look like the end of the line for Sanger.

In the bunker, Unit 2 still isn't finished charging. Rishu yells that they should just send out Unit 1, even if it's not fully battle-capable, but the launch process will still take a full minute. Desperate, Ratsel makes a dash for the Mk. III.

Vigagi: "Too late! Die, Sanger Zonvolt!"

But then the Thrudgelmir takes the field. At first it looks like Wodan has come for Sanger.

But instead he goes for the Galgau.

Sanger: "Wodan... why!?"
Wodan: "I will not allow another to defeat you. I have challenged you, and neither may die until it has been settled."
Sanger: "...!"
Ratsel: "That man's a W-Series... why is he doing this?"
Sanger: "Are you also... like Lamia?"

Wodan: "I must slay you, my original. That is my desire... not as W15, but as Wodan Ymir, the Sword of Magus."
Sanger: "Desire? Then Wodan, you must have..."
Wodan: "Listen well, Sanger. You must acquire a new sword. Then we shall finish our duel."
Sanger: "...I understand."

Vigagi: "I don't know who you are, but you're in my way!"
Wodan: "Come! For now, I will be your opponent!"

And now Wodan is here, and we get to control him, though we have to keep him alive. Not that that's a problem, since the Thrudgelmir has its full boss-level 160k health and 10% regen per turn.

That means we're effectively indestructible. On the other hand, he's still not going to take Vigagi down within a reasonable time frame, so we're mostly just given a couple turns to dick around making Thrudgelmir faces at people while we wait for the plot to kick in again.

:eng101: In the original, you didn't get to control Wodan; you were left with control of an immobilized Sanger (although you could still cast spirits, to no effect) and just had to watch Wodan and Vigagi slug it out for a couple turns.

A turn later...

Unit 1 is ready to launch. It's still unstable, but at this point there's no choice. The professors warn Sanger to get to the launching gate, and he complies...

Crank the volume, kids.

Vigagi: "That's Bian's legacy!?"
Wodan: "And now you have reclaimed your sword, Sanger Zonvolt."
Rishu: "That design... it's a true god of war..."
Filio: "Pilot registration... voice registration... complete. The DML system and weapon system are working well.

Vigagi: "Kazahara! You were hiding that thing here!?"
Jonathan: "It's the Earth's secret weapon. It's your own fault for not finding it."
Vigagi: "drat you...!"

Sanger: "This... is the Double G?"
Jonathan: "That's right - the Dynamic General Guardian. A super robot Bian Zoldark developed, specifically for your use."
Sanger: "Dynamic General Guardian..."

Sanger:"...No, the name doesn't suit it."
Jonathan: "What?"
Sanger: "The commander has entrusted me with this mech, to be my sword... it will be called..."

Sanger: "Dy... Gen... Guard!"
Jonathan: "Dy...Dygenguard?"
Filio: "I see... it's certainly easier to say."

Vigagi: "Enough babbling! Who cares what you call it!? You still have no chance against me!"
Sanger: "Silence! Now, you will..."

Aaaand the mech promptly powers down. The built-in weapon system is offline, with the DML control system operating only at 20% effectiveness - in other words, Sanger is now unarmed and practically immobile. Unit 2 still isn't ready, either, which means there's no choice but to try to reprogram the OS on the fly. But without a weapon, things look bad...

Wodan: (A weapon...)

Vigagi: "Keh... heheheh... what a ridiculous toy. Allow me to dispose of it, you wretches!"

So now we have the mighty Dygenguard. We can't do anything with it, of course, since it's completely immobilized at the moment, but I'm sure those weapons will be awesome once we get to them.

Vigagi will still focus exclusively on Wodan, so the two of them slug it out for a couple more turns. No really, there's nothing else to do. It's a bit silly, considering the crystallized :black101: that was just delivered to us. But oh well.

Two turns later...

Vigagi: "Hmph. What is this mech? Its arms and legs are both useless."
Sanger: "Nngh...!"
Vigagi: "I'm bored with fighting you. Allow me to finish you... with one blow!"

Wodan: "You shall not!"
Vigagi: "What!?"
Wodan: "Sanger! Your fight has not ended!"
Sanger: "But how..."

The Thrudgelmir moves to where the Type-3's blade ended up.

Wodan: "Now, receive your weapon, Sanger!"
Sanger: "!!"
Wodan: "Catch it - your mighty blade!"

And Wodan just grabs the building-sized sword and hucks it straight at Sanger.

Vigagi: "Feh! You think that will change anything?"
Sanger: "Silence! The Zankanto is the blade of my soul! With it, my battle continues!"
Vigagi: "!?"
Sanger: "This mech will inherit my soul!"

BEHOLD THE POWER OF...

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ah, I love that Dygenguard gag so much. It's cool enough to be used in basically every version too, and the ultimate justification for Vigagi's fourth wall breaking powers.

Also the Dygenguard is cool as hell as is its theme song and its pilot. Sanger is the best and the DGG is his best fit for a mech.

Which doesn't stop me being annoyed with how badly OG2 treats the Grungust series.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
It's almost heeeeeeere

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
the anticipation is killing me aaaaaaaaa

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sanger is such a massive goddamn goober :allears:
Everyone is such a goddamn goober

If it wasnt for his reputation hed be right there in the hangar next to Ryusei gushing about supers and finishing moves.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 13, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Wodan: "I will not allow another to defeat you. I have challenged you, and neither may day until it has been settled."

I believe you mean "die"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

So close to the second best part of the anime (which that is not). God this mission is great.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, this whole sequence. :allears:

So, originally Rishu's big moment was still inside TLI, as they didn't have an "outside shot of TLI" background back then. Record of ATX seems to also take this original route, as we see random TLI staff around during this scene. Of course, the big change is that you get to use Thrudgelmir for a little bit as a guest ally instead of watching and waiting for the plot to kick in. Admittedly, given that he still has all his boss stats, I'm surprised they left out Wodan's most powerful attack for this sequence. Some attempt at balance, I guess?

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Well....when you call it Dygenguard, pun isn't quite as obvious..

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ashram posted:

Whats the pun. Unless you are just talking about what it's named after which is pretty easy to see.

Dynamic General Guardian

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ashram posted:

Not a lot you can do, the pun is impossible to translate. Calling it DaiSanger makes no goddamn sense when it is meant to be a shortened version of Dynamic General Guardian, at the same time, going with DyGenGuard ruins that joke so...yeah, no way out of it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Whats the pun. Unless you are just talking about what it's named after which is pretty easy to see.

Dynamic General Guardian

"Dygenguard" in Japanese sounds very similar to "Dai Zengar" (big Sanger). It's not something that can be translated with English sounds.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
don't ruin the joke two updates before it happens guys :arghfist::iamafag:

EDIT: Also fixed the typo. Thanks to Droyer.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 14, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Have to admit, I was expecting the explanation here.

This is very similar to the Alpha 2 upgrade stage, except instead of Vigagi you had Sanger's rival (Dame Not-Appearing-In-This-Game) and instead of Wodan you had Ratsel, who somehow managed to pick up the Zankantou in just the Mk III.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

When did Sanger get the weird liquid metal zankantou again?
I though that only came with the Great Masanger

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think it just came with his type-3

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It was built alongside Unit 2 of the three Grungust Type-3 robots because...it's kind of vague. My best guess is that TLI decided to secretly supply the Kurogane with equipment to help the ship operate as a shadow ops team supporting the rest of the Steel Dragons. Thus, Rishu helped to design a robot for Sanger to use and probably decided at the same time to make a new sword for him as well. It's never really been made clear as to what led to the Type-3 Zankanto being made; if Rishu (or someone else) has ever given an explanation, it has yet to be translated/made public.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

It's never really been made clear as to what led to the Type-3 Zankanto being made; if Rishu (or someone else) has ever given an explanation, it has yet to be translated/made public.

I browsed the Secret Hangar artbooks to see if they mentioned anything about it, and I couldn't find anything, but I did find a different great blurb there.

"Sanger Sombold, the German samurai. A man of drastic words and more drastic deeds. Wears fundoshi for underwear. He has a sort of basis; There was someone I used for reference when working on his concept, an upperclassman from my school days (Japanese, mind you), a passionate man with the soul of a warrior. Personally, the Type 0 is my favorite Grungust. When the design art came in, the Type 0 Zankanto was exactly what I'd pictured it being. I can still remember how giddy I was seeing it." (Terada)

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 15, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think there's an earlier update from before the Inspector's take TLI that shows them working on the new sword. IIRC it's just Rishu going "Liquid metal? It just doesn't feel right." before Jonathan responds "Hey man, you're the one who said it needed to be sharper."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HitTheTargets posted:

I think there's an earlier update from before the Inspector's take TLI that shows them working on the new sword. IIRC it's just Rishu going "Liquid metal? It just doesn't feel right." before Jonathan responds "Hey man, you're the one who said it needed to be sharper."

Whoops, that was a thing, yeah. No mention of its development process or anything, but it is what it is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Ah right, that was brought up. Still, like Hokuto said, no real explanation as to why liquid metal is somehow sharper than regular solid metals. Or why the Zankanto's normal mode is a katana and its transformed state looks more like a broadsword.

Then again, "the sword's not good enough, make it sharper" is perfect super robot upgrade logic.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

AradoBalanga posted:

Ah right, that was brought up. Still, like Hokuto said, no real explanation as to why liquid metal is somehow sharper than regular solid metals.

That's easy. A normal sword would get blunted every time you use it, but liquid metal can just reform the sharp edge over and over.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Son Ryo posted:

That's easy. A normal sword would get blunted every time you use it, but liquid metal can just reform the sharp edge over and over.

Also it wouldn't be bound to a single form like a normal weapon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I seem to remember in the GBA OG2 Sanger trying to find ways to beat Wodan, and the solution was the DGG and/or liquid metal sword.

Gonna look up the script dump for that game.

E:which i cant find. Great.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 15, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

I seem to remember in the GBA OG2 Sanger trying to find ways to beat Wodan, and the solution was the DGG and/or liquid metal sword.

Gonna look up the script dump for that game.

E:which i cant find. Great.

Pretty sure you're imagining this, sadly. Sanger only appears in a couple of missions before this point, and they're all covered here.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So Sanger, especially once he gets the Great Masanger here, is the character/unit combo that gets the most FMVs and midstage cutins in this game.

It irks me that there's no FMV for the Variable Formation scene, but I can forgive them if they blew the budget on him and had nothing left for the SRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
To be fair, the SRX already had a variable formation CGI cutscene in Alpha 1.

• Locked thread