Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good luck, Midcrid. Try not to get too many space-ladies chasing you in that tiny station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

MarsDragon posted:

I'm also wondering where the hell Seibel kept getting all this poison gas. Was there a firesale?

Seyser Koze posted:

Since he had to ask Adler for help before his first gassing attempt, I'd guess it came from the same place where the DCs got their endless supply of MAPWs.

I think we all know the REAL answer this question:

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 9, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

RIP Siebel. You will be remembered as that incredible jackass with the amazing chin.
You'd think that chin would give a defense buff...but, alas, it does not.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
The term "Operation Huguenot" first appeared in the manga.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If there are no vehement objections, I'm probably going to start leaning more towards summary when describing mowing down the grunts from now on, unless something noteworthy happens. In my experience, reading pages and pages of "and then he shot somebody, and then she shot somebody, and then..." tends to make your eyes glaze over after a while.

Guy Fawkes posted:

The term "Operation Huguenot" first appeared in the manga.

Well, that explains it. :gifttank:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Seyser Koze posted:

If there are no vehement objections, I'm probably going to start leaning more towards summary when describing mowing down the grunts from now on, unless something noteworthy happens. In my experience, reading pages and pages of "and then he shot somebody, and then she shot somebody, and then..." tends to make your eyes glaze over after a while.

Yes, this is a good decision.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Seyser Koze posted:

Yeah, I've been applying skimming skills liberally to updates for a while. Maybe you could break out some of those arrows from the Advance Wars threads or something. :v:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Seyser Koze posted:

Agreed. I'm a huge OG nerd, and even with having played the GBA game recently, my brain is just starting to quietly skip sections in self-defense. >.<

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Works for me. It might even lead to faster updates!

Or maybe I'll just spend the extra time playing other games. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

That's fine. Around the midgame SRW gameplay stops being worth commenting outside of the highlights with individual groups of annoying enemy formations or difficult terrain and the such.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This seems like a good rule for most strategy game LPs really. Once you reach a certain point, the nitty gritty just isn't as important or as interesting as the grand strategy barring a few specific instances.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route, Mission 19

Not much new in the items department, mostly just handing out a couple stray pieces of chobham armor to people with empty slots. So instead we'll talk about a system added in the remake that I've completely ignored until now.

In addition to the equippable items that we've been picking up off of defeated enemies, you also pick up ammo components. Not actual ammunition, mind you, just components. These can offer a variety of enhancements to a weapon: increasing the attack power, hit rate, crit rate, et cetera. In most cases, any bonus given by an ammo component is counterbalanced by a penalty somewhere else; for instance, highlighted here is a component that increases a weapon's range by 2 but reduces its base damage by 200. There are a few components that offer only bonuses and no penalties, though the gains are less pronounced (+100 attack instead of 200, for instance.)

Anyway, you can't use any component by itself. You have to combine at least two, and a maximum of three; the resulting ammo will have all the characteristics of its components and can then be loaded into any ammunition-based weapon. The real secret here, however, is that combining certain components in a specific order can result in ammunition with secret properties. These range from merely improved stats to lowering the enemy pilot's stats by thirty percent for a full turn, which is pretty spiffy. Unfortunately, our current selection doesn't allow anything like that.

Instead I'm going to grab a component I picked up last mission which lets you use the attached weapon post-movement. I need something else to go with it, and unfortunately I really hate some of these penalties (-40% to your hitrate?!). I settle for +2 Range, -200 Attack as a second component.

There we go. Latooni now has a rifle with a range of nine spaces that can be fired after moving. :getin:

As for the damage penalty, that's nothing a little money can't solve. While I'm at it I go around and shore up the mobility of the R-1, the Raubtier, and the Wildschwein, since not getting hit is going to become increasingly important.

Mission 19: Dawn

Actually it's "Daybreak Battle." Atlus went with "The Dawning," which refers more to its role in the story than to the actual events of the mission, and which seems more dramatically appropriate.

No intro this time, just straight to the battle map.

There's no sign of Shu, to Masaki's impatience. Ryusei was expecting a bit more to the enemies than this; Ingram suspects that they've been lured here. The reason for that becomes clear enough, as Shiro warns Masaki of new contacts.

Welp. Nice knowing you guys.

Also, this has been dramatic final-battle music going back to at least SRW3, if not all the way to SRW2 on the NES.

"You've done well to come this far. But unless you have the strength to destroy my Valsion, the Divine Crusaders will not fall. You know my wish - lower your arms, and join me as guardians of the Earth."

Masaki is more interested in why Shu's sticking around here. The Granzon's pilot says that he and Bian have an inseparable relationship. Masaki takes this to mean he wants to rule the world at Bian's side, but Shu takes his usual pleasure in correcting him; he just wants to eliminate the "foreign matter" from the Earth - by which he presumably means the alien invaders. In that case, Masaki retorts, why the hell would he join the DCs? Why not just, you know, fight the aliens?

Shu smirks; has Masaki already forgotten what happened at Antarctica? He opened fire on the Earth's guests - or rather, the alien warship. In doing so, he indirectly saved the planet. Ryusei remembers all too well, but for another reason: the sinking of the Shirogane. Shu waves off his demand for an explanation, saying that he probably wouldn't understand anyway. Suffice it to say that if he hadn't acted, the Earth would now be under alien rule.

Masaki immediately accuses him of lying, but Dr. Zoldark picks up where Shu left off. Albert Gray, the EOT Council's representative, was there in Antarctica to negotiate a treaty with the aliens; Rai notes that this explains the SRX team being stationed there as a cautionary measure. Bian continues that with such a gross disparity in technology, there was never any hope of a legitimate peace.

If that's the case, Aya asks, then what was being negotiated? Unconditional surrender, he replies, in an effort to ensure the human race's survival - and in exchange for the aliens' advanced weaponry. The truth of the matter is quickly dawning on Ryusei: the Federation government never had any intention of fighting the aliens, instead calling them "guests" in order to keep up a friendly facade. As Ryusei wonders what the hell they've been fighting for, Bian recounts his own motivation in founding the Divine Crusaders: to defend the Earth sphere from any alien threat. The incident in Antarctica was aimed towards that end, ensuring that the Federation remained enemies with its would-be "guests."

Unwilling to accept this, Aya demands to know why Bian didn't simply offer the Federation his assistance. He laughs at this; after all, he's been one of the Federation's firmest supporters. The alien technology that drives their Personal Troopers, the Tronium Engine, the Tesla Drive... all of them were developed by Tesla Reich and EOTI, institutions that he established himself. Yet despite all of this effort to give humanity a fighting chance, the Federation leadership was so fearful of the aliens that they chose to bend the knee instead. This was not why Dr. Zoldark went to all this work, why he built the Valsion and Granzon... it was to defend the Earth, not to defend a handful of bureaucrats! Shu adds that the Federation had to be shown that the Divine Crusaders, the Valsion, the Granzon, and he himself could not be used so easily.

...Which brings us back to the attack at Antarctica. A necessary sacrifice, that the DCs' message would be heard by the Federation, the aliens, and the world. Masaki spits on this idea of "necessary sacrifices," and it seems like there will be no more discussion. Humanity must be united against the alien threat; thus, Bian says that if we will not surrender, we must be destroyed. Masaki says somebody who would unite the world through war can't protect anyone; Bian replies that if we believe that, we'll have to defeat him - and then defend the world ourselves.

Masaki's the big talker due to being the guy from SRW2, even though he doesn't really have a dog in this race storywise.

Objectives. Destroy the Valsion to end the mission; to earn the battle mastery, we'll have to destroy the Granzon first, which withdraws at 30% health.

And the map, our first indoor map of the game. On either side we've got Landlions flanking an M-ADATS turret, with more turrets on either side of the hallway heading up the middle of the map. The walls here actually do block line-of-sight, keeping you from attacking anything on the other side of them (a feature not present in the original). That means we could just charge up the middle unmolested and go straight for Bian himself, but let's face it, we need the cash. And the kills. And the morale, experience, pilot points...

Up top we have a larger room with a few more turrets and our two stars. This map is a pretty faithful recreation of the original version (with a few more enemies), which in turn was an expanded version of the final mission of Super Robot Wars 2. In the NES game the last map consisted of a single hallway with a room at the end, in which you fought Bian and Shu just like you do here. Except that the Granzon was a royal pain in the rear end even to damage and so conventional wisdom was that you ignored Shu completely. :v:

Oh, we've also got these green squares (called Energy Tanks, because they're... tanks... of energy?) which give you a chance to recharge. Bian and Shu both have them conveniently close by, but don't actually sit on them themselves. That's nice.

The Valsion looks more or less like it did before, though you can guess that this time the mission won't be ending after only 9000 damage. Bian himself is a pretty tough pilot, having Genius and Revenge - and a command aura, which he won't get to use, and Infight, which affects exactly one weapon of his which he will also never use.

The Granzon, on the other hand, has beefed up quite a bit and now has 44000 health. 30% of that is 13200, and both bosses still have that lovely damage-halving Distortion Field ability. This will be fun.

Since all the enemies are to either side and there are walls between them, we're just going to split up and send a group down each side hallway. Masaki and Irm are the big morale-needers, so they go different directions. I end up with Ryusei, Rai, Rio, Giado, and Latooni going left with Masaki, while the rest go right with Irm.

But Latooni's had a long day after all the stress of meeting Adler last mission, so she's just going to move a couple spaces.

My new übergewehr doesn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped. The rifle has a surprisingly low base accuracy compared to most weapons (15, compared to, say, 50 on the shotgun) and the penalty for shooting from long range is pretty steep. It's about a 25-30% difference between firing from max range and closing to around 4 spaces away. Any other mission I'd just have Latooni cast Focus every turn, but here I may need to save my SP for the finale.

So she just kills the M-ADATS instead, which she always pulls 100% on.

Everybody else splits up and goes their separate ways. Irm is using the Gust Lander for the moment for those cannons, because the Wing Gust really stinks offensively.

Masaki plays lightning-rod on the left side; he gets two morale for every dodge/counterattack combination, so he'll have no trouble pumping up. On the right, Ingram cleans up when I'd been hoping that Irm would be drawing the fire instead. Actually there are enough enemies on this map that even a pilot who does nothing will have around 130 morale by the time we get to Bian and Shu.

Still, with the sheer number of enemies and lack of a time limit, that means I can try to feed some kills to people who are lagging behind. Go forth, Giado!

God drat it, Giado. Do I have to cast Valor on every attack for you to kill anything? And the repair unit's on his girlfriend's mech, on the other side of the map.

I love this gun.

On the enemy phase on Turn 3, we get some enemy reinforcements with no fanfare: three Landlion units (two singles and a twin).

On the right side it's a shooting gallery, and Irm's the target. He'd be more of a target if Ryoto hadn't unexpectedly started one-shotting things.

Two of the new Landlions break left, while the other goes right. At this point we're doing just fine on hitting our morale targets, so I can afford to hold off on the Grungust smackdown and let Garnet and Aya pick up a couple kills.

Actually I twinned Aya up with Ingram completely by accident. If you tend to button mash through menus there's a good chance that you'll do that a few times, when you move Person A next to Person B and they both have 110 morale (wasting Person B's move in the process :argh: ). It works out, though. He can give her some help killing heftier targets and she'll always get a little extra damage thanks to the Love bonus she has from him. Not this time, though. Garnet killed that one. :ssh:

Line of sight in action: Latooni can't attack anything from this position. Super Robot Wars is not a cover shooter.

On the enemy phase of turn 4 we get more reinforcements: half a dozen Last Battalion Guarlions. Again, there's no comment from the game on their arrival. These guys come pre-split up, but they also appear right in the middle of our forward troops.

Luckily, my forward troops can handle themselves.

After a round of counterattacks they're already heavily weakened, but not enough to necessarily get finished off in one hit by anybody. Masaki lets loose with a Cyflash to weaken them further (unless you're trying to rake in huge piles of cash, it's not necessarily a good idea to kill lots of enemies with MAP weapons, as nobody gets any morale when it happens). I'm mostly doing it because then Giado can resupply Masaki next turn and rake in the experience.

Ryusei is the first one to poke his head into the bosses' room. On the enemy phase, the nearest turrets are able to shoot at him, but he hasn't caught anybody else's attention yet.

While clearing out the Guarlions, Rai gets smacked around a bit. A lot, rather. The Schutzwald is probably my second-biggest liability after the Gespensts, since it can't dodge a drat thing but doesn't soak up hits nearly as well as the Grungust. Hell, I think the Grungust might actually dodge better.

Giado hits 19 from resupplying Masaki. I think everybody ends up at least at 19 or 20 at the end of this mission, which is pretty good considering where a couple of these guys were at its start. Incidentally, resupplying gives a lot more experience than repair, so it's a great way to catch up somebody who's falling behind in levels (although it's a bit harder to pull off logistically, since you can't resupply after moving).

Clearing out everybody else, we start bringing the rest of the crew forward for the main event.

This gun is still great.

And now Bian finally takes an interest in us.

"You've got nowhere to run, Bian Zoldark!"
"Hmhmm... true enough. Yet the same is true of all humanity."
"What!?" (What do you mean, "what!?" He said the same thing in a televised speech to the entire world!)
"You'll understand in time. But now... hold nothing back!"
"You got it. Here I come!"

Ryusei, you liar, you don't have any weapons that reach that far. The Mega Graviton Wave sucks up 30 energy per shot, but the Valsion also has large energy regen (30% recovered every turn) so it's unlikely that we can drain him dry the way we did the Kurogane last time. In any case, with dodge rates like, that I can use Ryusei as a lightning rod to keep Bian from nuking anybody else. We'll mostly leave him be for now, since we have a battle mastery to earn.

Shu was pretty easy to take on last time, since he joined the fight at neutral morale and couldn't use his ultimate attack. Here he's had an entire mission full of dying allies to boost his morale to the max.

Remember this attack?

This brings up the the old comedian's joke about the black boxes on airplanes and why they didn't armor the Shirogane like the Grungust. We're pretty much guaranteed that nobody else will have it as easy as Irm, though.

Ryoto follows up behind him; his dodge rates must be pretty good, since Shu's using a status weapon on him of the Black Hole Cluster.

Also, Latooni's out of rifle ammo. :( Good thing Giado is here to help out.

Here's another example of weapons being more accurate at close range; now that Ryusei is three spaces away from the Valsion, Mega Graviton Wave has a natural 28% instead of a 10. I keep Grit active to give me a safety buffer, although Ryusei doesn't get hit once this mission.

Also, Shu never does anything on the enemy phase. I guess it's because he said his role was to observe? One thing that you may not have occasion to notice is that once you've been attacked by Bian, if you try to pull back and regroup he will chase you all over the map. :gonk:

This level of damage is a bit more promising. People who aren't Masaki and Irm are likely to do only around one or two thousand damage - or less. Sending in a pilot like Aya who also lacks a guaranteed way of dodging is just asking to lose somebody.

I'm assuming this is the armor difference between the Grungust and Gust Lander.

This is the natural hitrate Shu pulls against Masaki. I have him cast Alert on every attack from now on, to be safe.

"Are you just gonna set back and watch, Shu?"
"Shouldn't you be more concerned with my partner? This is the decisive battle; I have no desire to interfere."
"You think I'll believe that?"
"I suppose not. Very well; if you must have a fight, I will accommodate you."

I really can't wait until some more people learn Valor.

Oh, and Giado hits level 20 from resupplying again.

And now Latooni's back to shooting things!

Not very hard, though. At least Shu seems to be feeling the burn.

She does more damage to the Valsion on the enemy phase, but that's probably her Revenge skill doing the work.

Anyway, we keep on keepin' on. Things go quicker once you have everybody in position, since then you can do a support chain going all the way around the boss and get more attacks per turn. It only takes a couple more attacks to bring Shu down to just above his escape threshold.

Ryoto goes over to fight Bian, cuing one of my favorite exchanges in the game. I'll just use the Atlus version here.

"You don't know me, but I used to be with the DCs."
"I know you, Ryoto Hikawa."
"You do...?"
"If you cannot rejoin the DC, then you must defeat me."
"Then, here I come, Commander Bian!"

Just a short little conversation, but I like the idea of Bian watching over his wayward sheep even after they've left the flock.

Ugh. This will take a while too.

The Wildschwein only has 4600 health, incidentally.

I spend a little while trying to finagle Rio into position to do something super-duper clever. Her twin spirit is Train, which is like Gain or Luck but for pilot points, doubling them on your next attack. Unfortunately, then I realize that casting Train would prevent Irm from casting other spirits. Like Valor. Which he needs.

So we just Valor up and take Shu out the old-fashioned way, after swapping Rio out for Ryusei.

When you're whittling down a boss' health, it's generally better to avoid using twins due to the damage penalties. On the other hand, it costs the main pilot nothing to have a twin partner share in the kill, so you want to twin up for the deathblow whenever possible to get more experience and pilot points. As you can see, Irm didn't actually need the help.

"Impossible...! The Granzon is defeated? Their power has exceeded my expections... how can this be..."

"Did I do it? ...No. That bastard would never die so easily."

You didn't do anything, Masaki. :colbert:

:toot:

And now to take on the big bad himself.

"Masaki Ando. The victor of this battle carries the weight of the earth on their shoulders."
"!!"
"If you cannot defeat the Valsion, I will unite the world by force, and then stand against the alien invaders."
"Fine. Then we'll beat you first, and take on the aliens after!"

I think this is our only chance this mission to see the Valsion's other main attack, the Cross Smasher.

It's a somewhat iconic attack, given the distinctive red-and-blue appearance; it was the Valsion's signature attack back in SRW2, and then became the main attack of a certain other mech we'll see later. In OG1, Bian favors Graviton Wave, and I'm not entirely sure why he didn't use it here. Not that I'm complaining, since otherwise I'd have to run him out of energy just to show Cross Smasher off.

Anyway, fighting Bian is similar to fighting Shu in terms of both the Valsion's capabilities and the amount of damage you'll be doing to him. Most of my guys have been hoarding their SP, so I can cut loose here and make things go a little faster. (Ingram and Latooni are both casting Sense, for instance, so that they don't have to worry about being hit).

Bian has one more conversation here, with Irm:

"Aren't you supposed to be a bit smarter than this?"
"Some believe the Federation's peace will last forever. But peace can be used to obscure the truth..."
"Until it's too late... I get it. But there's still time - time to defeat you!"

Time enough to slice off another 16k chunk of health.

:eng101:That exchange between Irm and Bian wasn't in the original version.

After some more beatings... I sort of robbed Masaki of the Shu kill, so I guess I'll let him have this one. Aya happens to be nearby and can use the experience, so they twin up.

Masaki hits level 23 from the kill, making him the highest-leveled in the group.

"Hah... hahah... you've improved. I think... you're prepared."
"What!?"
"It's time that this old man retired... the future rests in the hands of the young."
"What are you talking about?"

All the responses are from Masaki, but they're so devoid of any actual substance that he may as well not have made them.

"Remember... it is your power that must defeat the coming threat. It is right to desire peace... but you must never surrender to it. The desire to protect what you hold dear... is ever a source of courage... and strength... *cough*"

"Then... it is finished..."
"Bian!"
"Lune, my daughter... I wish I could say goodbye."
"Lune?!"

"Hahahh... it's only proper that parents die before their children. Forgive me..."

--------

Outside, the Hagane is encircled by enemies and on its last legs. This may be the end, but Daitetsu vows that his ship will not be sunk yet. Then Eita reports a high-temperature signature building within DC headquarters...

Elzam sees the explosion and recognizes what it means: the Valsion has been destroyed, and with it, Commander Zoldark. The time of trial has come to an end.

"The commander is dead... but as long as I live, the Divine Crusaders will not fall! Everyone, to me! Protect me!!!"
"All units: this operation is over. Withdraw from Aidoneus Island."

"What?! You're not just going to abandon the island!?"
"We've lost our leader. What action would you have us take next? Do you even know?"

"Don't be a fool! I will never give up! I will never surrender!"
"Then I have nothing more to say."

The Hagane, of course, has missed all of this, but they can't miss the Kurogane reversing course and exiting Aidoneus airspace.

"Farewell, Hagane. And you as well, little brother. Until we meet again."

"Grrr...! Get this ship out of here! RETREAT!"

Tetsuya is left dumbfounded. Why did the DCs withdraw when they were on the verge of victory? Daitetsu is silent a moment, then asks for the status of the PT force. Eita makes contact; they're alive and well. And furthermore, they've destroyed the Valsion. Difficult as it may be to believe, we've won. Yet at the same time, a new mission has been laid before us...

:eng101:On a continuing theme, this was a lot more belabored originally. "Why are they retreating?" "Bian must have ordered them to do it." "Why?" "Because he wanted us to win." "Then that means..." Et cetera.

At the Far East Base, the operator receives a transmission from the Hagane: "We have sealed the gate to Hades." In other words, Aidoneus has fallen... Laker and Sakae celebrate, but there's one man in the base who's not smiling.

(Aidoneus, fallen? Ridiculous... what the hell is Adler doing!?)

:frogon:

At the EOT Council headquarters in Geneva, Albert Gray comes running to bring Karl Schtleseman the news of Bian's death. Furthermore, Maier Branstein has also met his end in battle with the Hiryu. (Uh, spoilers, I guess.) In short, both of the thorns in the Council's side have been eliminated. Albert is elated, though Karl is inwardly much more cautious about the situaton; for both to be killed at the same time seems a very unlikely coincidence.

Indeed, while this war may be over, the true war with the Aerogaters is yet to begin. Now more than ever, it's crucial that the aliens see no sign of weakness; General Norman must be ordered to hunt down the remnants of the DC and colonial forces. Albert will have to tell Federation's Congress to begin establishing a consensus on this. Additionally, Nibhal Mubhal must be contacted - now that the irritants have been removed, the Council must hasten to resume contact with the aliens.

And there's our big dramatic finale, folks. Next time: the other big dramatic finale.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 10, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I love this silly space robot soap opera. :allears:

The Valsione is another of my favourite mechs from this game. All the badass Cross Smasher-ing-ness, none of the anime face.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

SRW series seems like it'd be a perfect fit for a browser of phone game. Is there a reason it hasn't been done yet?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

AfroSquirrel posted:

SRW series seems like it'd be a perfect fit for a browser of phone game. Is there a reason it hasn't been done yet?

There's, uh, this, I guess.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, here's an interesting change from the GBA original: the battle mastery. You didn't have to beat Shu, you just had to knock him down to less than 40% HP for the mastery. It probably got changed to accommodate the gameplay/system changes like the Twin System.

I honestly never found much use for the bullet/ammo sub-system in this game. It just never clicked with me, for some reason.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Glad to know I'm not the only one who was annoyed by the amount of focus Masaki got in this mission. Like, it's played as though this is some big confrontation between Masaki and Bian but Masaki has repeatedly made it clear that he's only hanging around the Hagane to get to Shu. It made more sense when I learned that they were the main character and final boss of SRW2 but still, just felt kinda forced here. :shrug:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I really like the added conversation with Irm. Having a reason why the presumed non-mustache twirlers in the Federation would go alone with what could easily be 'mass enslavement of the human race' sells Bian's motives a lot better to me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Aw, yeah, now we get to the good parts of OG1 :getin:.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
You didn't use all those Energy Takers the game gives you? :psyduck: I guess you don't really need them since the Valsion and Granzon don't regenerate and Darkness Slash pierces barriers now, but it's not that hard to do, speeds things up a lot, and cripples their offense. Bian just throwing around Cross Smashers and Divine Arms is a lot easier to deal with than constant Mega Graviton Waves.

The Shutzwald actually does have pretty decent defense, the only problems are that 1) it's not worth putting any money into, so by the end it's lagging something fierce and 2) Rai, like his entire family, has garbage for defense. Elzam's better than him, but even then he's pretty middle-of-the-pack. Once Rai gets his proper machine you're really better off loading it down with every mobility booster you can and just having him dodge. (and yes, it is perfectly possible, this is what I do every time) Rai doesn't have the worst defense in the game, I think that's Excellen or someone, but he probably has the worst for the kinds of robots the game puts him in. Radha, on the other hand, has some of the best defense and can make much better use of it. She just can't kill anything.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ouch. At least it looks like a better tie-in than All The Bravest.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarsDragon posted:

You didn't use all those Energy Takers the game gives you? :psyduck: I guess you don't really need them since the Valsion and Granzon don't regenerate and Darkness Slash pierces barriers now, but it's not that hard to do, speeds things up a lot, and cripples their offense. Bian just throwing around Cross Smashers and Divine Arms is a lot easier to deal with than constant Mega Graviton Waves.

I actually intended to equip them and then neglected to actually do it when I remembered "oh hey, I got that post-movement ammo part last mission, I should probably show off the ammo system at some point." Then I got distracted.

quote:

Rai, like his entire family, has garbage for defense.

Not his entire family. :rant:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

MarsDragon posted:

The Shutzwald actually does have pretty decent defense, the only problems are that 1) it's not worth putting any money into, so by the end it's lagging something fierce and 2) Rai, like his entire family, has garbage for defense. Elzam's better than him, but even then he's pretty middle-of-the-pack. Once Rai gets his proper machine you're really better off loading it down with every mobility booster you can and just having him dodge. (and yes, it is perfectly possible, this is what I do every time) Rai doesn't have the worst defense in the game, I think that's Excellen or someone, but he probably has the worst for the kinds of robots the game puts him in. Radha, on the other hand, has some of the best defense and can make much better use of it. She just can't kill anything.

If Radha started with Hit and Away like Rai does she might have an easier time of it; that skill goes a long way towards making that mech usable, and if Rai didn't have it he'd be completely unsuited for it.

Actually, now that I think about it, Ingram should have just put Rai in the Rauptier/R-1, had Ryusei pilot the Shutzwald, and then replace the twin beams with a giant fist.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seyser Koze posted:

Problems with Maier, I take it? :shepface:

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I wonder if Gilliam would've had anything to say to Bian.

Also, I just learned that Elpis was the name of the world Hero Senki takes place on. That's a neat little tidbit for longtime SRW fans.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Seyser Koze posted:

Yeah but that guy isn't a Genius, he needs to have something. And even then his defense is only about the same as Bian's.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I gotta say, I never was a big fan of the Bullet system. It just seemed so... tacked on I guess. I'm glad that it got dropped from the sequels. This game's Twin system is also rather meh, since you have to deploy units seperately and Twin them up after boosting their morale. I much prefer 2nd OGs where they turned it into a mini-Squad System, which was especially handy since 2nd OGs gave you a butt load of units and without the Twin System of that game, half of them would never see the light of day.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I always took Masaki taking the fore of the events as just another part of his personality. He's pig-headed stubborn and sounds off his simple but earnest opinions louder than anyone else, and Bian's way of making "sacrifices" and being secretive in his intents probably reminded him far too much of Shu and his way of thinking. So Masaki shoots his mouth off, accepts Bian's challenge to protect the world because he's simply too stubborn to back down from anything and will probably think of the consequences later. Bian can retort almost everything thrown his way when the others criticise him, but against Masaki's simple views it can only end in "we'll see who's right in the end". Everyone else is seeing there's more to it than what Bian is letting on, but Masaki takes the view that it doesn't matter because Bian is doing unconscionable things, surrounding himself with some horrible people and attempting to justify it all while talking about justice and saving humanity.

On an aside, I always liked Bian and Ryoto's little conversation. The GBA version made it seem like Bian was giving him a pep-talk to fight and Ryoto takes to it with his crazy-face "YEAH I'M GONNA DO IT". It was good characterisation for both Bian and Ryoto that way.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
So I guess next time with Kyosuke we get the battle that contains what's probably my favourite moment in the "Record of ATX" manga.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, what, now Earth is going to surrender and we'll be kicked out of the giant robot army for crimes we didn't commit?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glazius posted:

So, what, now Earth is going to surrender and we'll be kicked out of the giant robot army for crimes we didn't commit?

....and if you can find them, Maybe you can hire, The ATX Team.

Da na na naaaah, nah nah nah naaaaa.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Glazius posted:

Well, the part where the government that was gonna surrender wasn't even able to keep the guys they were surrendering to from being shot probably put a damper on that.

So...no, alien invasion seems more likely.

But not by the guys that got shot at. Instead it'll be by the guys they were disguising themselves as. Because the Guests plotline is weird, from all I've heard about it, and apparently most of the Guests aren't even bad dudes, just the guy in charge of the Earth relations team.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 19

This is probably going to be a long haul, so I make sure the resupply unit is on Radha's Schutzwald before we start. With any luck this will help her catch up in the levels department as well.

We start out with the scene from Ryusei 18 of Bian and Maier bidding one another farewell before their final battles.

Leona has just learned that instead of accompanying the rest of the Treue Squadron on the operation, she'll be returning to Elpis to begin preparations for the aftermath. She refuses at once, saying that her place is with her comrades, but Julia insists that she's still young, and a member of House Garstein; Elzam will have need of her support in the future. Moreover, it's not as though Julia has any intention of just going off to her death. Once Operation Huguenot succeeds, they'll meet again at Elpis, and fight together against the Aerogaters. Reluctantly, Leona agrees.

:eng101: The original makes it very clear that both know the operation isn't meant to succeed, and Leona is opposed to the idea of living on in disgrace.

The Hiryu's Tesla Drive has helped them to close with the fleet much faster than Maier and Lily had anticipated; do they deploy their shells and attempt entry now, or wait? Nonetheless, Maier has to admire the courage of a single ship facing down superior numbers. He tells Sanger to prepare for combat.

"This battle will determine the guardian of the Earth sphere. By now you've observed the Federation military, the colonies, and the Divine Crusaders... Now you must dispel any doubts, and choose the road you will follow. You must find, and aid, those who survive this battle."
"...!"

"In addition... you must purge the world of those who will not see. Do you understand?"
"...Yes."

(So much blood lies upon this path... yet we have no choice but to walk it. Elzam, Raidiese... you must live. Live, and fulfill the duty of the house of Branstein...)

:eng101:Another significantly altered scene from the original. Sanger tells Maier that the Hiryu is approaching and that he's ready for battle; Maier offers him the same advice he gives his sons, which is never to mistake the site of one's grave. He has one final order to give... and then fade to black.

The Hiryu has caught up, and before the enemy AMs make their entry into the atmosphere. It seems fortune is finally favoring our heroes. Gilliam tells Radha and Viletta that since neither one of them is military, nobody will blame them if they choose to go back to Mao Industries now; win or lose, this battle will see the end of the war. However, neither is willing to turn back to the moon after coming this far.

"Ooh, so dedicated! You two don't want to go home tonight, huh?" Tasuku isn't really interested in Excellen's attempt at levity, wondering if they have enough people to pull this off. Kyosuke thinks it'll be all right; the enemy has to fight and worry about the entry procedures, while they just have to break through and destroy their target. Their foes are going to be distracted, in other words.

"But we can't let our guard down. This is the enemy flagship that we're after. And the boss will be there too... we still have things to ask him."
"Yeah... when we fight."

:eng101:Another change again; instead of talking about how they're striking when Maier's vulnerable, Kyosuke says he thinks they'll be all right because the enemy's actions haven't made sense, like they're more interested in confronting the Hiryu than in attacking Geneva.

Mission 19: For the Time to Come

Maier gazes upon the Hiryu and Giganscudo - one the symbol of human aspirations in outer space, the other the object of hatred for the colonies. Do they really expect to change things by fighting here? Sean notes that the fleet is smaller than expected; they must have diverted some of their forces to the defense of Elpis. That sets Viletta's mind at ease. (Excellen: "That's good. They say sickness starts with the mind." Bullet: "That's not what that means...")

"I see you haven't changed. That's reassuring."
"We've come to finish things, Major Zonvolt... is this the fight you'd been hoping for?"
"..."

Maier offers the Hiryu's crew the chance to join with him against the Aerogaters; Katina scoffs that they didn't come all this way just to wave a white flag at the last minute. This is about what they'd expected, and so Maier addresses his troops: this battle will decide the future of the Earth sphere, so show the Federation their might!

And with that, the battle is joined. The colonial military operates on a strict chain of command, so if they can destroy the Macht, the rest will become disorganized. The odds aren't in their favor, but sometimes you just have to go for broke...

Objectives. Despite what was just said, the goal is to destroy everything on the map. The mastery requirement is to take out Sanger, who retreats at 40% health.

The map's a bit smaller than usual, but despite that it's absolutely packed with enemies. We have a regular legion of Treue Cosmolions, with a few Barrelion-Vs for variety. Down in the corner, we also have Sanger in the Type-0, Julia in her Guarlion Custom, and some ships.

One of these is the Albatross, a bit beefier than the Peregrines we've been destroying up here.

The other is the Macht, a... pallet-shifted Albatross. :effort: Nonetheless, it's quite large, and it has an E-Field to reduce incoming damage. Maier has the expected command aura and support skills, as well as Energy Save, a skill that reduces the energy cost of weapons by 30% and makes it take even longer to run him out of energy. He also has Prevail, a skill we've seen on people before (Irm and Ryusei both have it), but haven't had the chance to see in action yet. :ohdear:

Off we go, then. I split up into two wings to take out the Barrelions and then converge in the middle to mop up the cosmos. Kyosuke, Bullet, Tasuku, and Radha head straight down while Excellen leads the rest off to the left.

The enemies are certainly stronger than on Ryusei 19, since the Treue ladies have both better skills and better robots than the M-ADATS AIs. My guys actually get hit on a semi-regular basis on this mission, so Russell runs around full-time on repair duty. I could have avoided at least some of this by spending more money on Gilliam's mobility, but I'm saving for now.

As we start to push forward, Lefina learns Bless. I was getting a little tired of relying on Radha to cast it all the time.

Excellen, thankfully, has no real problem dodging - although I have to do something about her desire to support-defend everybody else. She pretty much carries the field on the left and picks up quite a few kills on this mission.

One Barrelion in each pack is actually a Heavy Barrelion, the grunt-sized version of Tenzan's mech from Ryusei 18. Its twin railgun hits a lot harder than we're used to, considering that Tasuku typically just laughs off hits from Barrelions.

On the enemy phase of turn 3, Julia moves. Going for Gilliam, she parks herself right in the middle of all these Cosmolions. As you might remember from earlier encounters, the Treue pilots just about all have Support Defense, which means digging her out of there is going to be fun.

"You're skilled. If you'd been born a couple years earlier, you could have been an Aggressor."
"Hmph... past glories mean nothing on the battlefield!"
"True enough. But as an ex-Aggressor, I cannot lose!"

People who aren't Gilliam won't want to engage Julia directly, but she's done us the service of positioning herself where we can bounce double-attacks off of her neighbors. It'll take a few of these to bring her down.

Making things a little better, all of the adjacent units go for Gilliam and get worn down to easy-kill territory.

So, we commence picking off this blob of Cosmolions in the middle. I'd never risk putting Katina in a straight-up fight with Julia, but I can still hit her by casting Strike and attacking her neighbor.

Lefina and Excellen follow suit with the same trick.

After attacking I move Excellen forward, hopefully close enough that Julia will attack her again on the enemy phase. This has the additional effect of putting her in Maier's range.

"Finally, the head honcho!"
"You're mistaken. A greater enemy awaits."
"Maybe later, but... can't we focus on now, now?"
"Hmhmm... you're right. But remember that the true fight comes after!"

I kinda wish Maier had been on our side, just so we could see how he did as Excellen's superior.

The Macht and Albatross' main attack is the PBS Formation, which subdues the enemy via educational children's television programming hosted by puppets, lulling them into a false sense of complacency so that your troops can overwhelm them with destructive force.

Said destructive force coming from a bunch of detachable cannons. I can only imagine how many of these things have gone spinning off into space as the result of mechanical failures. Maier's accuracy isn't too much to worry about. Yet.

Also, if you have the sudden urge to salute or kneel when Maier speaks, that's probably because he's voiced by Norio Wakamoto, who played the emperor of Britannia in Code Geass and about a zillion other parts. He also found time in his busy schedule of hentai roles to voice Shredder (in the 1990 TMNT movie) and Lando Calrissian from Star Wars.

Sanger goes for Excellen as well.

"Hey, Boss! Are you ready?"
"I was ready for this when I became your enemy. Are you prepared?"
"A woman in love is always ready to eat lead." (Atlus)
"I think you mean 'bite the bullet.'"
"Wow! Hey, can't we talk some more, Boss?"
"War never waits. En garde!"

I wanted to get that facial expression of Sanger's. I don't remember seeing it anywhere else in OG1.

:pseudo: Excellen does her usual here, saying that a woman in love is always ready to slice her stomach, kagebara wo kitteru (陰腹を切ってる ), referring to the form of seppuku performed in Japanese theater where the protagonist secretly cuts himself beforehand and only reveals his wound just in time to die at the very end for maximum drama. Sanger corrects it to binding her stomach, hara wo kukuru (腹を括る ), an expression for being prepared for the worst.

Then Julia joins in. Everybody wants to kill Excellen today.

"Well, Ms. Elite Guard, it's the moment of truth."
"Yes, it is. We finish this here!"
"I don't like it, but I guess there's no way around it now."

Um... oops. I'd been saving Julia for Gilliam to level him up a bit more, but here Excellen went ahead and finished her off. I guess she took Julia's comment about finishing this a bit more seriously than expected.

"I can't go on! Commander, I can no longer perform my duty... Leona... I leave the rest to you...!"

Rest in peace, Julia.

She also had encounter dialogue with Kyosuke and Viletta.

quote:

Julia: "Here they come... Treue Squadron, perform your final mission!"
Kyosuke: "You're not the only one who's resolved. If you stand in my way, I'll cut you down!"

quote:

Viletta: "You have good moves! I see why he chose you as his bodyguard."
Julia: "She's generating new motion data as she goes? Heh. To think I'd meet a pilot like you..."
Viletta: "Likewise. But if you stand in my way, you will die."
Julia: "I am the commander's elite guard. If I must die here, so be it!"

Clearing out the remaining Cosmos and Barrelions, we continue pushing forward to the hard targets. Sanger retreats at just over 10000 health, and I do need to take advantage of some boss experience to hopefully push Gilliam to 23. He lacks the physical oomph to do the job himself, so he'll have to twin up with somebody for it.

Here's the damage Excellen does to Maier with Oxtongue E, one of her weaker attacks. Given the defensive barrier, it's pretty reasonable.

Pretty much everybody in this mission has special dialogue vs. Sanger and Maier both. Here's Tasuku, as we move in to start wearing Sanger down:

"Let's finish this!"
"It won't be the end. Mankind has yet to bet it all."
"I don't know nothing about that. But this is one gamble I'm not gonna lose!"

Sanger has enough morale to cleave sizable pieces off of even the Giganscudo. I can't wait until he hits somebody else!

While everybody else focuses down one of the Albatrosses, Maier attacks Tasuku as well.

"Time to go up against the house! We'll see if I can break the bank!"
"Then come. To the victor goes glory... and a new mission."
"You said it! With stakes that high, I'm not gonna lose!"

And again, this is what Tasuku's Giga Wide Blaster that erases lesser units in a single shot did to the Macht.

Another round of cleaving from Sanger leaves the Giganscudo at probably the lowest its health has ever been.

Kyosuke won't be finishing Sanger off, but he has to get at least one conversation in. (Also, dear god Sanger dodges better than he does.)

"Sanger!"
"I have nothing left to say! Defeat me, and the answers you seek will lie beyond!"
"I don't care what lies beyond. I just fight the enemies I see."
"Yes! That is why I chose you! Now, Kyosuke... draw the curtain on this first act!"
"First act!?"

...Why are you surprised? Literally every other member of your team can figure out what they're talking about!

Sanger's ripe for a finish. Unfortunately... so is Kyosuke. :gonk:

Bullet casts Valor and twins up with Gilliam to do the job. Between them and a support from Excellen, we should be able to do this.

"If I beat you, Major... will you tell tell us the truth of what's happening?"
"Learn it for yourself. But I'm no easy opponent."
"Then you'd better not underestimate me either, Major... I will defeat you, and I will learn what you're planning!"
"A spirited reply. You've become strong, Bullet!"

"The Type-0 is finished..."
"Sanger! Tell me! Why did you betray us?"
"I have only one answer. To prepare for the time to come."
"The time to come? You mean..."
"My mission is not yet complete. I cannot die here..."

"Are you running away?"
"Yes. That is Maier's mission for me... to bear the disgrace of a coward and a traitor. All for the time to come..."
"Sanger!"
"Live, until we meet again! Farewell!"

:toot:

Gilliam is... 6 experience shy of level 23. Sigh.

Here's the dialogue from the people who didn't get to fight Sanger.

quote:

Gilliam: "Do you have more planned after this, Sanger?"
Sanger: "You always read too much into things. You're worse than Elzam."
Gilliam: "Doing that has kept me alive this long."
Sanger: "Fair enough. Then let's see if you can read my intentions."

quote:

Viletta: "I'd like for this to be the end, if possible."
Sanger: "Fine movements. I don't know you... but the ATX team has acquired a superb member."
Viletta: "....."

quote:

Radha: "Have you been trying to show us the path that leads beyond this war?"
Sanger: "I am not so gentle! The goddess of victory smiles only upon those who cut their own path!" :black101:

quote:

Katina: "I hate putting up with stupid crap."
Sanger: "That's the life of a soldier."
Katina: "Everybody just talks and talks. This is war! Let's get it on already!"
Sanger: "It seems you understand this war well. Good. Come!"

quote:

Russell: "He's fast..."
Sanger: "Do not fear! Do not forget! Or you will never survive the battle to come!"

quote:

Lefina: "I challenge you, Major Zonvolt!"
Sanger: "You've become a better commander than I would ever have expected."
Lefina: "That won't matter if we lose. So we must win!"
Sanger: "Indeed. Then come!"

We take out the other Albatross and get the beatdown chain going for Maier.

"This chaos has to end soon, or they will take advantage."
"That's precisely what we've been working towards."
"But all you've done is prolong the chaos! We are out of time!"

One thing you realize quickly is that your attacks don't do nearly as much damage as you think they should, even accounting for the shield, and it becomes more pronounced as you go on. This is partly because of the Macht's large size and armor, but also because of Maier's Prevail skill. Once his health hits around the halfway mark, he starts getting increasing bonuses to armor, accuracy, and critical hit chance, making him a credible threat to nearly anybody on our team.

Anyway, we work our way around the chain, plinking at the Macht for a couple thousand damage at a time.

"You. You're the one who's brought the Hiryu Kai this far."
"All I've done is fight. That was just a result."
"Indeed? And what do you see as the result of this battle?"
"I don't care. Results are results."
"Hah... you're spirited enough. Then show me the results you hope to obtain!"

The heavyhitters are knocking off around 4000 apiece. I'll take what I can get at this point. Most of our units can just survive one of Maier's counterattacks, although I wouldn't want to risk it with Excellen or Gilliam's Gespenst.

"You've accomplished much, with only a single ship."
"Because I had to. That's the only reason."
"It's natural to think only of what is 'possible,' and to lose sight of what must be done. But you have a gift."
"Then I'll use that gift to stop you!"

"Finally, we're at the boss. Let's rock!"
"Do you think your brashness can defeat me?"
"That's how I do things, no matter how rough it gets!"
"A soldier's nature. Very well. Come!"

Katina had a close call here.

"There are simulations of this kind of battle - a battle to protect the Earth from invasion."
"So there are, yet few would realize it. So we provided them with a threat!"

Almost there.

"If we sink your ship, we have a chance to win!"
"Staking everything on such slim odds... is that the recklessness of youth?"
"No! It's the ATX way!"

:allears:

Thank goodness for Valor and big guns. There's only one pilot who can carry the day now...

(Video of the finale)

"The colonial flagship! I have to sink it!"
"You have courage, to stand before the Macht as you do. You'll need that courage in the battle ahead."
"I... I've lived until now! I can't die here!"

Plink. Even if I'd used a real attack instead of Split Missile, it would only have done a couple hundred damage at this point.

Thankfully I twinned up with Excellen beforehand.

Russell jumps five levels and learns Faith; Excellen also hits 24 and learns Valor (thank God).

Radha never got a shot at Maier, but here's her lines:

quote:

Radha: "Commander Maier... if you are defeated, this battle will end!"
Maier: "And then a new one will begin."
Radha: "I know that. It's why I'm here!"

Critically damaged, the Macht is falling into the Earth's atmosphere. Solemnly, Sean observes that a great star has fallen. Lefina quietly agrees.

"Commander!!"
"This wound is... Lily, gather the survivors, and abandon the Macht."
"No! I will stay by your side to the last!"
"You and Sanger... now have the same duty."

"I know... but I won't abandon you!"
"This is my reckoning... for the path I've walked."
"..."
"You must escape here... do not mistake your grave."

"Lily... you've served me faithfully all this time. You have my thanks."
"C-Commander..."
"I go now to my wife Nelke... and Cattleya... When your duty is done, we'll be waiting." (*)
"Un... understood..."

"Heheh... the curtain falls. Elzam, Raidiese... my sons. I entrust the Branstein name to you. And those who defeated me... you must now shoulder the fate of the earth."

"My life has hardly been restful... but I have no regrets. Heheh... hahahahaha!"

The Macht breaks apart during its descent.

-----

It ends with the same Albert/Karl scene from the Ryusei route.

*This bit about how they'll be waiting for her is from the original. The remake just has Maier tell Lily that he's leaving the rest to her.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also, it's voting time again. The next Kyosuke mission has just Katina and Russell at the beginning. So... Which machines should I have them use?

For reference, here are your choices...

Alteisen (Kyosuke)
Weissritter (Excellen)
Gespenst Mk. II-TT
Gespenst Mk. II (blue, Russell)
Gespenst Mk. II (red, Katina)
Gespenst Mk. II-R (Gilliam)
Giganscudo (Tasuku)
Huckebein Mk. II (Bullet)
R-GUN (Viletta)
Schutzwald (Radha)
Rangzen space fighter
...Or if you really hate me, the Messer jets from the very beginning of the game. Which will almost certainly cost me the battle mastery, considering that we're in space.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I don't remember ever having that much trouble with Maier. He's got better forces, but it's to make up for how he's only got a slightly souped up battleship as opposed to...well, the Valsion. I guess it changes a little on OGS, when Cosmo Nova and Darkness Slash can get past the Warp Field. I don't know if Kyosuke Route has anything like that.

Anyway you want to give Katina and Russel the Alt and the Weiss respectively, of course. The Alt's even already red!

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Man, this map did a number on me in the GBA games. I think I lost everyone but the Hiryu and excellen driving off Sanger, so at the end it was Weiss sitting outside Maier's range plinking him with Oxtongue E, relying on the 5 EN natural regents to stave off death and carry the day.

I might be bad at this is what I'm saying.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I had no idea Wakamoto voiced Maier, now I kind of regret never doing the PS2 version of Kyo's route. I always thought Wakamoto would have been a great fit for Bian, oddly enough.

Give Katina and Russel the R-Gun and the Giganscudo. They fit them pretty well.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am fairly sure if I remember that the deal with the aliens is... there are like half a dozen factions of them all being various dicks to earth and each other.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So yeah, PBS Formation is a new attack added to the Albatross/Macht for this game. Not sure why they added it, but it at least looks interesting enough. Then again, the Macht really only had the basic battleship armament in the GBA game, so giving it the PBS Formation makes it look more boss-like. And then the rest of the Albatross ships get it as well, so it becomes a moot point. A for effort, at least.

Now, as much as Divine Wars is a dull mess, it does one neat little thing with this stage. First, it sends everyone from Ryusei's route up into space (with the entire Kyosuke route happening all off-screen since Divine Wars is Ryusei's show, more or less) to join in this battle. If you're wondering why they'd do that, it's so they can 1) wipe out the entire UCC drop force with the Hiryu's cannon and 2) do a big aerial drop onto Aidoneous Island. Okay, setup out of the way, what the episode does that's nice is that it lets Rai face his father. As the Macht descends into the atmosphere, Rai decides to follow the ship to confront his father (hinting that Rai wants to stop Maier from dying so he can face judgment for his rebellion). Maier notes Rai's reckless behavior, and still addresses him as a son, causing Rai to be stunned and hesitate. Remember, Rai has essentially thrown away everything connected to his family by now, so to see that after everything Rai did, Maier still calling him a son is a wonderful touch and a rare moment of Divine Wars doing something good for a change.

Oh, and Rai gets saved by Ryusei (in the Wildraubiter, not the R-1) riding the back of the Wing Gust and all three escape the Earth's atmosphere via plot shenanigans.

GimmickMan posted:

I had no idea Wakamoto voiced Maier, now I kind of regret never doing the PS2 version of Kyo's route. I always thought Wakamoto would have been a great fit for Bian, oddly enough.
Maier is such a weird role for Wakamoto because it is the closest we may ever see Wakamoto play something 100% straight with no real over-the-top hamminess. You face Maier, and Wakamoto is...neutral. No hammy dialogue, no scenery chewing, just straight-forward line reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

Give Katina and Russel the R-Gun and the Giganscudo. They fit them pretty well.

I agree with these votes.

Also I don't remember ever having much trouble with this stage. I had a lot of trouble with Bian though, especially in the GBA. OG was my first strategy game so I played pretty badly, ended up with no one alive but Ryoto in the Wildraubtier (that thing is insanely dodgy). I won, somehow, but it taught me to stop sucking.

Which was what Bian wanted to begin with, so neat gameplay and story integration there!

• Locked thread