Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
In the GBA version (I'm not sure if it happens in this one too) Bullet imagines that with Kyosuke as the new guy Excellen won't pick on him any more. He's so naive. :allears:

As a character I'm largely ambivalent about Bullet. Sometimes I feel like the games are that way about him too!

Then again you debut at the same time as the Type-0 you should probably expect to be banished to the shadows. Because that sword casts one big shadow.

Edit: The new update's on the previous page, for those of you who somehow miss these obvious things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

In the GBA version (I'm not sure if it happens in this one too) Bullet imagines that with Kyosuke as the new guy Excellen won't pick on him any more. He's so naive. :allears:

That is, quite literally, what he is saying here:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I may be burying some things in my summary. :sweatdrop:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
What's important is that with Bullet on board we officially have the biggest dweeb we can field in all routes.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Hell, yeah! Zankantou time!

You're gonna need this from here on out, Seyser:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Brunom1 posted:

Hell, yeah! Zankantou time!

You're gonna need this from here on out, Seyser:

I was just in the middle of making one of those. I need a better hobby.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, Bullet. He thinks Excellen won't pick on him anymore. How naive. How naive indeed.

That said, I really like him, and he's been a main for me in every OG game I've played (which is everything in the GBA and PS2). The ATX interactions are hilarious, and Bullet has his neat character plot that I enjoy. That said, Born to Fight is not his song, it's generic someone else's so he better get his own song soon. Even moreso because that song kicks rear end.

Also there's nothing to say about Sanger, because you'd need words as big as his Colossal Blade to describe just how much of a badass he is. Seriously, dude just storms in and cleaves an alien mecha in two while loudly proclaiming how he's "the sword that smites evil", with a badass BGM playing...and this is the first time he's even using the Grungust Type-0. What a badass. And he only gets better!

And you know what else got better? The Type-0 in comparison to how it looked in OG. In that game the Colossal Blade just...came out of nowhere, just flew into the battle without any real explanation. Here they properly modelled the Type-0 carrying it and I think that's really neat.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Personality-wise, Bullet always was a stick in the mud, but I guess Sanger's team needed someone halfway "normal" to show just how much the others stand out.

Also, and my memory's fuzzy on this, wasn't Sanger the one in the original GBA version to make all those cutesy Japanese proverbs? I thought he was more into that then the rest of the group.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh, Bullet. They so hard to make him an important lead-character type of person....except everything about him fails in that department. Hell, he's the only one out of the 8 Alpha 1 archetypes to not get a theme song (even in 2nd OGs, he's still stuck with a generic theme!). Thankfully, by 2nd OGs, the whole "let's try to make Bullet a hero" bit gets dropped. Then again, given how many jokes his voice actor Tomokazu Sugita winds up on the butt end of, I wouldn't be surprised if Bullet's treatment is just a long rolling gag by Banpresto.

Digital Jello posted:

Also, and my memory's fuzzy on this, wasn't Sanger the one in the original GBA version to make all those cutesy Japanese proverbs? I thought he was more into that then the rest of the group.
Sanger's more into bushido and codes of honor than proverbs, all things considered. And cleaving things with a hammy attitude.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

AradoBalanga posted:

Sanger's more into bushido and codes of honor than proverbs, all things considered. And cleaving things with a hammy attitude.

While Sanger doesn't get wordy with his proverbs, he spouts tons of Japanese idioms, especially ones from the samurai age - he makes extensive use of (and cribs off of) a lot of Yojijukugo.

This one, for example, means "Focus your entire being on what is in front of you".

His most famous one, which we won't see for quite a while, is a good ol' Japanese pun via kanji substitution. During the transformation for Tatsumaki Zankantou, he shouts 刃馬一体, "the blade and the horse are one", which is a variation of an actual saying from samurai of the the medieval era: 人馬一体, "the horse and his rider are one".

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 20, 2014

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

vibratingsheep posted:

While Sanger doesn't get wordy with his proverbs, he spouts tons of Japanese idioms, especially ones from the samurai age - he makes extensive use of (and cribs off of) a lot of Yojijukugo.

This one, for example, means "Focus your entire being on what is in front of you".

His most famous one, which we won't see for quite a while, is a good ol' Japanese pun via kanji substitution. During the transformation for Tatsumaki Zankantou, he shouts 刃馬一体, "the blade and the horse are one", which is a variation of an actual saying from samurai of the the medieval era: 人馬一体, "the horse and his rider are one".

I have an inkling that Rishuu had a special class set aside just to teach Sanger and Bullet those idioms because they both use them.

Sanger taught a few to Touma in Alpha 3, too. (off the top of my head, 疾風迅雷 - to move as swiftly as the wind, as violently as lightning).

There's also Sanger's other BGM which, like the example above, is a substitution pun: 乾坤一擲 which is read the same was as 剣・魂・一・擲).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It should also be noted that Zankantou means "ship-chopping sword." Colossal Blade is a really good translation and also way more appropriate, unless we're gonna start calling the game Supaa Roboto Taisen and use the word kougeki instead of attack.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Incidentally, Atlus also has Sanger yelling his dialogue in Japanese during that attack, which I always found weird.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 20, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

Incidentally, Atlus also has Sanger yelling his dialogue in Japanese during that attack, which I always found weird.
I always just assumed they were speaking English in general and Sanger was just randomly yelling in Japanese because he's a samurai cliche.

Iunno, it's basically the reverse of every super robot pilot calling out their attacks in English because that soudns cooler.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Broken Loose posted:

It should also be noted that Zankantou means "ship-chopping sword." Colossal Blade is a really good translation and also way more appropriate, unless we're gonna start calling the game Supaa Roboto Taisen and use the word kougeki instead of attack.

Or given that 'anti-ship sword' is an actual name for big swords in Gundam it could've been translated as that.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I stopped caring about Bullet at all after The Best Robot gets permanently destroyed.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hivac posted:

I stopped caring about Bullet at all after The Best Robot gets permanently destroyed.

Dis Astranagant gets destroyed? :v:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Dis Astranagant gets destroyed? :v:

:colbert:

(I made this garbage in high school :v:)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

I always just assumed they were speaking English in general and Sanger was just randomly yelling in Japanese because he's a samurai cliche.

Iunno, it's basically the reverse of every super robot pilot calling out their attacks in English because that soudns cooler.

Sanger is basically a giant weeaboo. He's a German who likes to pretend to be a samurai in his giant robot.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

That's not the Giganscudo though???????

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 20, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Listen I have never been as insulted to have that mech replaced with the Ex-Exbein because goddamn that thing is a mess.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You can say that about 90% of OG mechs and their upgrades though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

You can say that about 90% of OG mechs and their upgrades though.

Hey, I like the Duro!!

...and at least it's not the J upgrades. They don't look bad in the full sized artwork but in those tiny sprites UGH.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am kind of meh about Bullet myself. He's a fine character and all, but out of the enormous cast of Original Generations, he is a little on the bland side, most notiably known for screaming out KUSUHAAAAAAAAAA all the time. Which they even lampshade in the OVA.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rorahusky posted:

I am kind of meh about Bullet myself. He's a fine character and all, but out of the enormous cast of Original Generations, he is a little on the bland side, most notiably known for screaming out KUSUHAAAAAAAAAA all the time. Which they even lampshade in the OVA.

Bullet is my least favorite of the alpha originals in OG. He's not interesting and he's not funny. He's basically there for Excellen to be Excellen at.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Bullet is my least favorite of the alpha originals in OG. He's not interesting and he's not funny. He's basically there for Excellen to be Excellen at.
It's interesting how Bullet's the default option for the real robot in Alpha 1 and so dull, yet Kusuha (the super robot's default option) is one of the franchise's big headliners. Hopefully, now that Banpresto has realized Bullet is as boring as drywall, they'll keep that mindset for future OG games.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The most redeeming part of Bullet/Kusuha storyline is that they have the best Alpha 3 rival. Imagine Jay Gatsby piloting a giant Chinese dragon mech.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Dr Pepper posted:

Sanger is basically a giant weeaboo. He's a German who likes to pretend to be a samurai in his giant robot.

That's pretty much how I looked at Sanger even without Atlus reinforcing the idea, yeah.

Honestly I feel like Bullet can get away with being boring because his real role in things is to be the butt of jokes for Excellen /test subject for Kusuha's home cooking, so him being quirky and interesting on his own would just diminish from that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lord Ephraim posted:

The most redeeming part of Bullet/Kusuha storyline is that they have the best Alpha 3 rival. Imagine Jay Gatsby piloting a giant Chinese dragon mech.
You mean, "Imagine Murata Azrael piloting a giant Chinese dragon mech that's also a demi-god to boot", right?

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014
Speaking of Bullet's mechs, I know it's no where as good as it's other half but I still have a soft spot for KoRyuOh. I mean it's a giant kung-fu Tiger robot.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Personally I never really forgave Bullet for ruining Kusuha in OG by being the one to rescue her all the time. So you know. I guess taken in purely OG terms, he's okay? He's a knock-off Newtype, there are worse things to be.

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014

MarsDragon posted:

Personally I never really forgave Bullet for ruining Kusuha in OG by being the one to rescue her all the time. So you know. I guess taken in purely OG terms, he's okay? He's a knock-off Newtype, there are worse things to be.

Well to be fair is was the other way around in Alpha and besides Kusuha CLEARLY overshadows him in terms of mechs I mean RyuKoOh is just amazing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tempestas Leo posted:

Well to be fair is was the other way around in Alpha and besides Kusuha CLEARLY overshadows him in terms of mechs I mean RyuKoOh is just amazing.

Yeah, it was the other way around, that's the problem. The entire point of Kusuha and Bullet is that you would think that Bullet is the hot-blooded super robot pilot and Kusuha is his damsel in distress love interest, but it's the other way around. Reversing that kinda defeats the purpose of the characters.

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014
I guess and I do agree that I like them in Alpha more but I don't mind them mixing it up at times.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, Sanger, Excellen was right. You should have scratched that mech with a weaker attack and let it destroy the transport. No sense spoiling your trump card!

(Also that aftermath scene with Excellen, Bullet, and Kyosuke was just pitch-perfect.)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, it was the other way around, that's the problem. The entire point of Kusuha and Bullet is that you would think that Bullet is the hot-blooded super robot pilot and Kusuha is his damsel in distress love interest, but it's the other way around. Reversing that kinda defeats the purpose of the characters.

On the other hand, it doesn't feel like they changed their personalities at all, just the situations they get thrown into. You get the sense that if these characters were inserted back into their original games they'd still handle things like we remembered, so it's not like it's an Other M situation or anything.

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

On the other hand, it doesn't feel like they changed their personalities at all, just the situations they get thrown into. You get the sense that if these characters were inserted back into their original games they'd still handle things like we remembered, so it's not like it's an Other M situation or anything.

This. It really does feel like it was just bad luck for one of them.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

All the default avatar changes are making it really hard to keep track of posters.

Not usually a big deal but following the OP is kind of important to this subforum.

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014
I feel you man sometimes I lose my own posts in here, but I'm strapped for cash this month Sorry. I'm planning to get one soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
gently caress Bullet. That is all.

... Okay fine in a nutshell then. Bullet's always stuck out to me as a ridiculous try hard character. As in he's trying really really hard to be the hot blooded protagonist and he's failing so miserably. Of the Alpha 1 protagonists I can legit say he and the one who made it into OG2 are the ones I dislike the most on the male side.

So yeah, in the end the ATX team is saved by having Sanger and one secret character in this game, and then assimilating all the pilots and plots of OG2. I believe I'm the only person to play through OG2 purposefully dodging all of the ATX based splits. Simply because characters introduced in that game were more interesting off those routes.

The other two male protagonists from Alpha and the 3 female protagonists introduced in this game all blow Bullet out. And the only thing that saves him from being a complete dweeb is his kitty. Love that thing, despise him.

Then again I'm the same person who played through J never using a SEED character and through OG2 never using Kyosuke unless forced to so... I'm pretty passionate in my likes/dislikes.

• Locked thread