Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Broken Loose posted:

The Exelion probably could hit a capacity cap once you get enough classic supers inside it. The Eltreum basically won't fill up. Also, the Cathedral Terra is missing from that list.

I'm talking about my own thing! TTGL isn't in it.

I'm pretty sure SRW won't ever have the Celestial Being as more than just map background but I wanted to go with it since, well it's a big powerful colony ship and people kinda need that, plus Kati Mannequin is actually the first battleship captain there since the MC starts off aligned with the ESF and she might as well get more relevance.

also potentially an incredibly dumb thing where the main character winds up in the real robot equivalent of TTGL made up out of succeedingly larger docking ships until it just goes and combines with the whole orbital ring, and has a big combo attack using the Excelion as a sword, Sidonia as a gun, and CB as a shield why is this even a thing i thought would make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gyra_Solune posted:

I'm talking about my own thing! TTGL isn't in it.

I'm pretty sure SRW won't ever have the Celestial Being as more than just map background but I wanted to go with it since, well it's a big powerful colony ship and people kinda need that, plus Kati Mannequin is actually the first battleship captain there since the MC starts off aligned with the ESF and she might as well get more relevance.

also potentially an incredibly dumb thing where the main character winds up in the real robot equivalent of TTGL made up out of succeedingly larger docking ships until it just goes and combines with the whole orbital ring, and has a big combo attack using the Excelion as a sword, Sidonia as a gun, and CB as a shield why is this even a thing i thought would make sense
It would obviously use the Giganscudo as a shield.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So I'm retroactively taking last week off. Actually I just recorded the footage for the next update, so that should be up within the next couple of days. Ordinarily I'd try to be extra-sure to get two in this week to make up for last week, except gently caress Ryusei 36.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 35

After last mission we have this Steel Soul item. +200 to armor, +25 to mobility, and +30 to hitrate. I put it on Kyosuke since he can use more of all three.

Rai and Leona spot a new machine in the hangar: a Huckebein with a rather distinctive color scheme and family crest. Elzam comes up behind them, surprising them both, and asks what they think of Trombe's latest incarnation. Rai only cares about his brother's reason for being here, and isn't satisfied with the explanation that it's their father's final wish. Accepting this, Elzam instead swears on Cattleya's name that his only goal is to defend the Earth and colonies that she loved; whether Rai believes that is up to him. Elzam leaves, and for once Rai seems to trust his word - his brother would never invoke his wife's name lightly.

The Hiryu and Hagane will be heading into space ahead of schedule, prompting a lot of speculation about the cause - whether there's been a change of plans, or whether they're commencing the operation early and the two ships are all the firepower the Federation could muster. Rio takes the optimistic view, while Irm can't overlook the severe lack of ships that the Federation is facing now. No doubt that's why the colonial fleet at Elpis surrendered, to preserve their numbers - and it grinds Katina's gears that now they're relying on the enemy to bail them out. Kyosuke is silent at this, and she hastily assures him that she's not talking about Sanger, of course.

The ships are at Merritt Island and are ready to make their departure. The Kurogane is being withheld in case of emergency, and there's no sign of the Shirogane's deployment; in other words, it's just the two ships we've always had. Laker apologizes to Daitetsu for all that's happened; they've drawn the short straw and now have to face the enemies alone while the rest of the Federation gathers - and try to do the job alone, if need be. Daitetsu responds that the chips aren't all down yet. Noting Laker's surprised reaction, he says that Kyosuke and Ryusei must be rubbing off on him - the worse the odds, the greater the return.

Atad: "Ingram, I want a word with you."
Inram: "What?"
Atad: "Excellen Browning. Why did you withhold your full report on her from Lady Levi?"
Ingram: "I mentioned that she was far more resistant to adjustment than the other specimens."

Atad: "So you did. And somehow, you left out the most important detail."
Ingram: "There was no need."
Atad: "I beg to differ. You don't expect me to believe that you overlooked that woman's secret? That eighty percent of her tissues are composed of unknown cells? Why did you hide that from us?"

Atad Shamran, spoiler of future games.

Ingram: "Because it doesn't matter. All I care about is her effect on Kyosuke Nanbu. Her physical composition makes no difference."
Atad: "Should I consider this an act of rebellion?"
Ingram: "She's your sample. By all means, investigate her more closely - if you have the skill."
Atad: "...I should report you."
Ingram: "Go ahead, then."
Ingram: (Not that it will make a difference. This is out of our hands...)

Just because Ingram's an alien doesn't mean that we're done with Face of Trustworthiness scenes.

A short time later...

Levi: "Atad claims that you're scheming against me."
Ingram: (Hah. She actually did it.)
Levi: "Since the last battle, Galuin Mehabel's functions have grown even more unstable - and you cost us the machines we had reproduced. What have you to say for yourself?"
Ingram: "There's nothing to say. My shackles aren't so easily slipped..."

Ingram: "But you know that, don't you?"
*TK flash*
Levi: "What...? Ugh...!?"

Ingram: "Don't you, Levi? Nobody can escape Judecca's bonds. You know that well."
Levi: "Y-yes... I... know..."

Levi: "The creators... built Judecca... as the core of Neviim... We... are..."

Ingram: "...On my next sortie, Excellen Browning will accompany me."
Levi: "I understand... you may... take her..."

Mission 35: Rescue

Unfortunately, with the addition of Sanger, Elzam, and Kai last mission we're now short on deployment space. I'm trying to maintain the policy of using all of Kyosuke's people on his route; in addition I've been sending in the R-Series, Masaki and Lune, and the Grungusts (Irm and Kusuha). We're now two spaces short, and Lune and Kusuha end up on the bench.

(Actually I somehow passed over Radha, so we're three short. If this keeps up I may boot Elzam in order to keep her on, since we'll be able to use Elzam on Ryusei's route too.)

No sooner has the Hagane exited the atmosphere than they're set upon by the enemy. Looks like the Aerogaters want us to know we're not welcome. Bullet wonders if Excellen will be sent to face them as well, but Tasuku has a bad feeling; something much worse may be on its way.

Thus far, our objectives are just to kill everything. Losing Kyosuke is a loss condition; no battle mastery yet.

We're facing down two sets of Aerogater drones, with each set having a few Megillots, Yirmeyahs, and Mishleis in it. Not much to worry about here.

We split up into two groups; most people with Accelerate head for the far group while everybody else stays pretty much nearby.

Not much to say here. Some drones have received a bump up in HP, and now they occupy this weird place where attacks that could one-shot them feel like overkill, while anything lighter just leaves them at low health. That said, they're not dangerous, just slightly annoying.

On turn 2 we're able to start ripping them apart in earnest, and most of the enemies are eliminated.

As the drones fall, Aya has a flash of pain and senses that he is coming at the same time that Eita reports a gravity quake at 2 o'clock, meaning that we have more company in about thirty seconds. (The same exchange happened before Ingram showed up in Ryusei 34.)

On the second enemy phase Ingram appears in the R-GUN, leading to a similar exchange to his arrival in Ryusei 34. A difference from the other version is that Aya doesn't bother getting proof of Ingram's betrayal from his own mouth; she just says straight-up that whatever he was to them before, he's their enemy now.

Ingram thanks the crew for providing him with such fine samples, but when he sees that they're wising up and aren't going to lose their cool so easily, he just decides to go for the throat.

:geno:

Kyosuke: "Excellen!"
Excellen: "...Kyosuke."
Kyosuke: "So you are safe. Looks like I won that bet."

Excellen: "Yes. I've been well. Major Ingram has taken good care of me."
Kyosuke: "I see."
Excellen: "I discovered that he's actually quite charming."
Excellen: "People like you, who hide your feelings, would never know the first thing about me. But Major Ingram... he understands how lonely I've always felt."

Bullet: "She's just like Kusuha was! That son of a..."
Kusuha: "Lieutenant Kyosuke, please, she doesn't know what she's---"
Ingram: "Heh... Kusuha, I'm afraid she's entirely different from you in this regard."
Kusuha: "...Huh?"
Ingram: "Her words are what she's always felt. I just gave her some help in saying them."

Excellen: "Major? May I attack now?"
Ingram: "As you like."

Sanger: "Ingram Prisken... you've used this trick once before. We've already seen through it."
Ingram: "But it's still the most effective way to get you to fight."
Sanger: "Certainly. Kyosuke... what do you think Excellen will feel when you bring her back to herself?"
Kyosuke: "Heh. We'll see her go red with rage, maybe... if she doesn't lose it entirely."

Kyosuke gives the order to incapacitate the Weissritter, same as with Kusuha's Type-2 earlier. Katina marvels at his calm, given the circumstances, but Ryusei sees that he isn't calm at all...

Kyosuke then casts two Spirits, Strike, Alert, Accelerate, Valor... all for free! He'll waste the Valor on a Mishlei long before he attacks something worthy of it, though. :eng99:

Ingram: "Hmm... this was even more effective than I expected, Kyosuke."

So our objective is now to knock Excellen down below 10% health, before the end of turn 4 if we want the mastery. It's turn 2 enemy phase now, so she, Ingram, and all the Zechariahs and Habakkuks they brought with them get free shots at us.

Or at Kyosuke, rather. He can't fire back at much of anything, but they can't get through his armor and beam coat either, and he's dodging unusually well.

This joker on the end makes the mistake of going for Gilliam instead, and discovers that he's a bit better equipped to return fire.

Don't they feel silly.

Excellen, poetically enough, goes for Kyosuke. Luckily her hit rate isn't great, which may or may not be the Alt's newly-equipped Steel Soul doing its thing.

Video of the Excellen encounters. :gonk:

Excellen: "I'm not interested in you anymore."
Excellen: "Too bad, huh?"
Kyosuke: "Yeah."
Excellen: "So there's no reason for you to keep this up."
Kyosuke: "Probably not."

Excellen: "But... but... I... Kyo... suke..."
Kyosuke: "Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere."

"I feel anxious... my heart's all confused now..."

"Excellen! You're really trying to hit me!?"

Anyway, that was all the enemy phase of turn 2.

On Turn 3 Masaki opens with a Cyflash, which wipes out the Zechariahs and leaves the many, many Habakkuks one hit away from dying. Convenient; since the mastery won't be any trouble (I hope), I can spread around the kills a bit and give people some levels.

People like Russell, who learns Rouse.

Ingram has a bunch of the same conversations from Ryusei 34, like the one where Gilliam tries to out-mysterious him (and succeeds).

He also has a couple new ones, as we see on Turn 3 enemy phase when he attacks Sanger.

Sanger: "No evil shall escape the blade of Sanger Zonvolt!"
Ingram: "Don't speak to me of good or evil...!"

It won't take much to bring down the R-GUN, but I want to take care of Excellen first.

Of course she goes after Sanger instead, being safely out of his range. :argh:

Sanger: "Mind yourself, Excellen."
Excellen: "What's wrong, Major Zonvolt?"
Sanger: "Being under enemy control has made it easier to read you."
Excellen: "...?"
Sanger: "Excellen would never address me like that! Pull yourself together!"

"Now... shall we...?"

:geno:

Plink.

She has some abuse for Bullet, too!

Excellen: "Bullet... Kyosuke isn't the man you think he is."
Bullet: "What are you saying, Lieutenant? I mean, Teacher!"
Excellen: "I'm not a teacher. I'm a soldier."
Bullet: "Lieutenant, that's... No, this the same as before. We got Kusuha back, we can get you back too!"

"Lt. Excellen! Please, go back to normal!"

"You should... treat me more gently..."

The Weissritter's armor is thinner than I remember. :stare: That was one hit with Chakram Shooter. Now I'm wondering if anybody in range actually has an attack weak enough to not kill her...

"Women... always repay favors... always... right...?"

Zombie Excellen manages to be much creepier than Zombie Kusuha was, since she's sort-of-almost trying to do her usual banter but in this horrible robotic persona.

Anyway, I may actually be headed for a restart here; anybody who has Mercy (or something weak like a vulcan) is too far away to bring her down before the time limit. I decide to give Sanger a go, using one of the Type-0's armor breakers.

"Not. So. Fast..."

That was a bit too close for comfort. :stare:

"Hey... come closer..."

Excellen: "Uh, ugh...."

Kyosuke: "Excellen!"
Excellen: "...Oh, hey, Kyosuke. Morning!"

Bullet: "Lieutenant Excellen?"
Sanger: "Is she awake!?"
Aya: "I don't know... this isn't like it was with Kusuha..."

Kyosuke: "Excellen, if you're back to normal, say something to prove it."
Excellen: "Huh? Oh, um... s-sorry for all the trouble, everyone..."

Kyosuke: "She's still being controlled. I'd better shoot her again."
Excellen: "What! No, wait wait wait!"

:magical:

Excellen: "Umm... to repay you, the first one to come see me just might get a private lesson... There. Happy?"
Tasuku: "That relaxed attitude... it really is her!"
Radha: "It certainly seems so."

Kyosuke asks if she can still move, and Excellen manages to get Weissy up and at'em for another round. Briskly she says that they'd best get cracking - she has a lot of lost time to make up to the team!

"Excellen, if you're safe, that's all that matters."

I'm just pulling this line out because I'm pretty sure it's only the second time Sanger has had this expression, and both times it was on Excellen's account. Her powers truly are frightening.

Excellen tries to apologize (to "Boss" this time), but they'll have to talk later - Ingram is still there. Somehow she suspects that this was all part of the plan (a sentiment Gilliam echoes).

Seemingly unperturbed, Ingram observes that their rescue operation succeeded after all. This catches Aya temporarily off-guard, but a sharp warning from Lune and Masaki snaps her out of it - he's planning something else, no doubt about it.

Sanger: "Speak, Ingram. Do you act for good? Or evil?"
Ingram: "Good and evil are irrelevant. I just fulfill the duty imposed on me."
Bullet: (That's the same as when Sanger left us...)
Kyosuke: "We're not finished with you. You'd best be prepared."
Ingram: "No need for the warning. Hold nothing back!"

Anyway, :toot:

A number of other pilots had lines versus Excellen...

quote:

Excellen: "Ryusei Date. You're no good for the Major any more."
Ryusei: "drat it, Ingram, not this again! What the hell do you want? I'm tired of your crap! And we're taking Excellen back!"

quote:

Excellen: "....."
Rai: "Well, this isn't like you at all."
Excellen: "It's not?"
Rai: "Any other time you'd be joking around."
Excellen: "No I wouldn't."
Rai: "Then I'll repay that debt I owe you... in exchange for having the real you back!"

quote:

Aya: "Excellen, you..."
Excellen: "Oh, it's you... Major Ingram doesn't need you anymore."
Aya: "But we need you! Because of what you told me... I'm here to bring you back, Excellen Browning!"

quote:

Kusuha: "It's my fault that Ingram took you... I have to make things right!"
Excellen: "....."
Kusuha: "Lieutenant Excellen, please, turn back to normal!"
Excellen: "...I'm not normal? Kusuha Mizuha..."
Kusuha: "Of course not! You're not like me, you're so much stronger than I am! Please, go back to the Excellen I know!"

At this point it's really just cleanup. In order to beat the time limit we had a few grunts still alive, so we take them out before going after Ingram. Excellen's looking fine despite her ordeal, though she's a bit behind the leveling curve. Nothing a boss kill can't solve.

But first a couple other people want a shot at Ingram. Unlike the corresponding Ryusei mission, this time Aya actually has something to say:

Ingram: "I doubt you expect to win, but you're still attacking me. Very brave, Aya."
Aya: "...! I'm not holding anything back for you!"
Ingram: "Good. Never hesitate during battle."
Aya: "...!? N-no, I can't listen to him... I have to show him I can stand for myself!"

"Major Ingram... here I come!"

"Aya... are you trying to defeat me?"

"I've taught you to strike down the enemies before you. No exceptions..."

As you saw from the preview screen, Aya's flying circles around Ingram. You go, girl.

Kyosuke probably has a word or two for him as well...

Ingram: "So those were the feelings you'd kept bottled up. Now your power has awakened."
Kyosuke: "I don't need your help to awaken anything. Don't think I'll make this quick for you!"

"You've taken a reckless gamble, Kyosuke Nanbu..."

Irm and Excellen are both behind on levels, so they twin up and Irm casts Love for maximum experience.

Not that Irm's actually going to do anything in the battle, because there's only one proper way to reintroduce Excellen to the cast, and that's Rampage Ghost.

Excellen: "You did this, and that, and whatever else you pleased... I don't have a problem with adventurous guys, but that's a bit much, Major."
Ingram: "...So you remember when the procedure took place."

Excellen: "Ugh... q-quit it. It's embarrassing."
Ingram: (The adjustments were only just reverted, and forcibly at that, yet she's already recovered. As I thought, this woman...)

And that's definitely better, giving her a boost up to level 41 (and Irm up to 38).

A few other special encounters vs. Ingram...

quote:

Bullet: "Kusuha was bad enough, but the Lieutenant as well... Major Ingram, you won't get away with this!"
Ingram: "Brooklyn Luckfield... under my guidance, you could awaken to still greater power..."
Bullet: "I have Master Rishu and the Chief to guide me! I don't need you!"

quote:

Ingram: "You said you had no memory, but our power has left its mark on you."
Kusuha: "...!"
Ingram: "It's not too late. Will you come back?"
Kusuha: "All you did was hypnotize me and Excellen... nothing more, even though you had the chance. I don't know why. But even if you don't mean us harm, if you're going to toy with the people of Earth, I will fight you!"

The R-GUN is trashed, but Ingram isn't finished yet.

His mech transforms to the R-GUN Rivale, and we get the same battery of reactions from Ryusei 34, with lots of disbelief from the crew and lots of :smug: from Ingram and---

Kyosuke: "Stop talking."
Ingram: "What...?"

:stonk:

Kyosuke: "Ingram! I'll finish you...!"
Ingram: "Ugh... before the armor was stabilized...!"

Ingram: "drat you...!"
Kyosuke: "First Aya. And then you tried make Excellen and I kill each other... but this time, you've got nothing, and I'm calling your bluff."
Ingram: "So this is the fury you've been hiding, Kyosuke Nanbu... Heheh... I've finally earned your hatred. I'll remember this."

Ingram flees. Ryusei is set to pursue, but Kyosuke yells at him to stay - after that one blow, the Alt's arm is inoperable, and the R-GUN Rivale is clearly not just for show. Kyosuke's bold gamble paid off, but Ingram won't underestimate them again... and Kyosuke's failure to destroy the Rivale's cockpit block when he had the chance may come back to haunt them all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Kyosuke's route: Look at how awesome Kyosuke is.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Seyser Koze posted:

Kyosuke: "She's still being controlled. I'd better shoot her again."
Excellen: "What! No, wait wait wait!"

Ok this is pretty great. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Let's be real, though. More games should have someone punch the boss in the face in the middle of their monologue.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow, that went a lot better than I expected. Excellen's back already and she pretty much managed to shake off the mind control herself. She rocks.

It's a bit weird Bullet got more to do in Ryusei's route though, since this is the route following his squad and all, but this chapter was basically just Kyosuke and Excellen. Hell, mainly just Excellen, because while Kyosuke is being rad and apparently has caught Ingram's interest for some reason he's still just a highly skilled pilot while Excellen's got magic DNA or something and seems to have way more interesting stuff going on.

It's kind of strange that in the other route we're getting more development and twists on Ryusei's special abilities as a pilot and on his character development but in this one route Kyosuke's still basically the same guy he was in chapter 1. Not a bad thing since he's cool, but honestly Excellen comes off as the vastly more interesting character and the star of his route. She also hasn't developed too much since her first chapter but we're finding out more about her and now she's got some mysterious abilities or something. She definitely comes off as more the main character.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wow, that went a lot better than I expected. Excellen's back already and she pretty much managed to shake off the mind control herself. She rocks.

It's a bit weird Bullet got more to do in Ryusei's route though, since this is the route following his squad and all, but this chapter was basically just Kyosuke and Excellen. Hell, mainly just Excellen, because while Kyosuke is being rad and apparently has caught Ingram's interest for some reason he's still just a highly skilled pilot while Excellen's got magic DNA or something and seems to have way more interesting stuff going on.

It's kind of strange that in the other route we're getting more development and twists on Ryusei's special abilities as a pilot and on his character development but in this one route Kyosuke's still basically the same guy he was in chapter 1. Not a bad thing since he's cool, but honestly Excellen comes off as the vastly more interesting character and the star of his route. She also hasn't developed too much since her first chapter but we're finding out more about her and now she's got some mysterious abilities or something. She definitely comes off as more the main character.

Well the game they come from Super Robot Wars Compact 2, is a 3 part series of games, part 1 is Kyosuke, Part 2 is Excellen and Part 3 is... combined?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Well the game they come from Super Robot Wars Compact 2, is a 3 part series of games, part 1 is Kyosuke, Part 2 is Excellen and Part 3 is... combined?

Is Part 1 already over then? Because I don't really remember any point where Kyosuke was given much focus outside of being a cool, stoic, leader-dude. He's been pretty static. But Excellen just got some intrigue added to her existence and she has had more interesting stuff happen to her in general.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is Part 1 already over then? Because I don't really remember any point where Kyosuke was given much focus outside of being a cool, stoic, leader-dude. He's been pretty static. But Excellen just got some intrigue added to her existence and she has had more interesting stuff happen to her in general.

Not... really? the Compact plot really happens in OG2. And even then Excellen and Kyosuke (especially Kyosuke) never do much. At all.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Compact 2-1 and 2-2 are pretty much irrelevant in the OG-verse, while 2-3 is covered in OG2.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Ok this is pretty great. :allears:

It really is :allears:

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Like always I feel compelled to post a few things from the manga:

Like Excellen not being robotic at all:

Or her reaction after being shot down (Kyosuke punched out her flight unit and then protected the Weißritter from fall damage by huging it with the Alt):

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
God, it felt so cathartic to just punk the hell out of Ingram mid-transformation and punch him in his smug prick face.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ashram posted:

Like always I feel compelled to post a few things from the manga:

Like Excellen not being robotic at all:

Or her reaction after being shot down (Kyosuke punched out her flight unit and then protected the Weißritter from fall damage by huging it with the Alt):

I see.

Pwer-up denial never gets old :allears:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Seyser Koze posted:

Seemingly unperturbed, Ingram observes that their rescue operation succeeded after all. This catches Aya temporarily off-guard, but a sharp warning from Lune and Masaki snaps her out of it - he's planning something else, no doubt about it.

Of all the Obviously Slimy things that Ingram's done throughout this entire game, the biggest "I AM UP TO SOMETHING" flag so far is that he treats Excellen's rescue like a business transaction; he's confirming receipt of his end of the contract.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Let's be real, though. More games should have someone punch the boss in the face in the middle of their monologue.

:agreed:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Of all the Obviously Slimy things that Ingram's done throughout this entire game, the biggest "I AM UP TO SOMETHING" flag so far is that he treats Excellen's rescue like a business transaction; he's confirming receipt of his end of the contract.

:agreed:

He's not once upset to lose one of his so called 'samples' even though Atad is freaking out and pissed at him for everything. Man has a plan, and that plan involves getting his own rear end kicked.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Onmi posted:

He's not once upset to lose one of his so called 'samples' even though Atad is freaking out and pissed at him for everything. Man has a plan, and that plan involves getting his own rear end kicked.

Ingram Prisken in a nutshell:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

vibratingsheep posted:

There was also that whole "Levi thinks she's in charge, isn't that precious :smug:" routine before the mission began...

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Onmi posted:

Not... really? the Compact plot really happens in OG2. And even then Excellen and Kyosuke (especially Kyosuke) never do much. At all.

Well, they do things, but there's not really much character development. The rest of the thread might remember Onmi and myself talking about this before.

The games really would be better if Excellen was just the main character and Kyosuke got kidnapped a lot, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I don't care what y'all say, "I see" was worth whatever cringing you might have gone through with the whole damsel thing.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Coolguye posted:

I don't care what y'all say, "I see" was worth whatever cringing you might have gone through with the whole damsel thing.

Oh definitely. It gets even more amusing if you trigger the event with enemy units still on the field, because he'll just bullcharge them out of the way on his way to cram his stake down Ingram's throat. It's just a pity that the rest of the series treats the Ryusei path as being the canon one.

Besides, Excellen makes for a much more amusing damsel in distress, just because of how she behaves afterwards. She goes right back to being Excellen without skipping a beat.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Seyser Koze posted:

Kyosuke then casts two Spirits, Strike, Alert, Accelerate, Valor... all for free! He'll waste the Valor on a Mishlei long before he attacks something worthy of it, though. :eng99:

Ingram: "Hmm... this was even more effective than I expected, Kyosuke."

"Maybe I've made a LITTLE evaluation error ......... OK. who am I kidding now, this is gonna suck."

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
So ages back someone was talking about how Kyosuke being angry didn't seem any worse than just about anyone else in the team being angry, and I said to keep that thought in mind for the future.

Everyone else goes hot blood. Kyosuke goes ice-loving-cold.

Coolguye posted:

It's straight up one of my favourite moments in the OG series.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

TheLastRoboKy posted:

So ages back someone was talking about how Kyosuke being angry didn't seem any worse than just about anyone else in the team being angry, and I said to keep that thought in mind for the future.

Everyone else goes hot blood. Kyosuke goes ice-loving-cold.

I still don't see any material difference!

Hell, pissing off Ryusei was worse for Ingram. Kyosuke has him retreat. Ryusei and team completely wrecked him.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Well, Ryusei was so busy spitting around flame and thunder that they actually had to fight the second form.

Kyosuke was so focused with killer's intent that he punked the attempt to bust it out.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, that is one of the reasons I am always pulling for Kyosuke over Ryusei. Ryusei talks and talk and talks, Kyosuke tells someone to shut up and impales them. Man of action.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't help but love Kyosuke for stopping a fight with the R-Gun Rivale here. The rest was also badass, but man, it's such a nice thing to not have to fight that piece of poo poo unit.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't help but love Kyosuke for stopping a fight with the R-Gun Rivale here. The rest was also badass, but man, it's such a nice thing to not have to fight that piece of poo poo unit.

You still have the same number of actual fights against it. :gonk:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
This is another long one (though not as eventful as mission 30), so I'm going to split it up again.

Ryusei Route, Mission 36 (intro)

You know, I could've sworn that I had a lot more than one Booster. Either I'm completely wrong or I discovered some kind of "fun" glitch.

Excellen's had herself an idea: since we're going to be heading off on the operation soon, why not throw a party beforehand? It'll help everybody blow off some stress and enhance interpersonal bonding! Tasuku figures she just wants an excuse to drink, which she doesn't deny, but nobody seems opposed to the idea. Excellen has the liquor front locked down, but there are other bases to cover.

Rio: "Sounds good. I can cook up a Chinese dish for everybody. Leona, you can help me, right?"
Leona: "M-me? With what?"
Rio: "Hey, you can't just sit on the sidelines. Isn't there something you can make?"
Leona: "W-well..."
Rio: "There's Eun, Kusuha, Latooni, Garnet, Aya, and Radha, so if you join in, we'll have a full multicultural selection! Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Western... this'll turn out great!"
Excellen: "Wow! I can't wait!"
Russell: "In that case, I'll prepare a space for us."
Tasuku: "And I'm gonna brush up my magic act!"

I could make some sort of incisive and witty comment about how pretty much all the women are doing the cooking, but instead I'll laugh at how the world's cuisine divides up into Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and "Other."

Leona: "....."
Tasuku: "Hnn? Something wrong, Leona? You're looking all serious."
Leona: "It's... it's nothing."
Tasuku: "Really? Okay then. I can't wait to try out some authentic German cuisine!"
Leona: "R... right..."

The engineers are poring over SRX's mechanisms, trying to find some way to solve the shortcomings that are keeping it out of combat. They're drawing a blank, though; they have some ideas, but not enough time to implement any of them...

Marion: "Is this the best you can do? Some team of robotic geniuses."
Robert: "D... Doctor Radom!?"
Kirk: "....."

Behold, Kirk's second facial expression.

Jonathan checks to make sure she has feet, and she angrily snaps that she's not a ghost. He'd given her up for lost after Langley, but a lot has happened and she and Master Rishu both made it out in the end.

Kirk: "Did you need something, Mary?"
Marion: "You don't get to call me that any more."
Kirk: "Hmph... right, I forgot."
Robert: :confused:

Marion announces that she's brought them a little help - the prototype servos that she'd designed for the Gespenst Mk. III's upgrades. Given the problems SRX has been having with the strain on its joints, these should help solve the issue.

Kirk: "Well, you have our thanks, Doctor Radom."
Marion: "Save them. I'm just offering a gift of spices to my enemy."
Jonathan: "Salt, Doctor. I told you it was salt."
Marion: "*ahem* Be that as it may... this wasn't for your sake, Doctor Hamill."
Kirk: "I know."

In case you forgot (and who could blame you) the salt/spices business is a call back to a much earlier conversation between the two on Kyosuke's route. Of course, this is Ryusei's.

Robert: "Doctor Kazahara... do those two have some history together?"
Jonathan: "Well, they've been rivals ever since they both worked at Mao Industries."
Robert: "Yes, but... besides that."
Jonathan: "Oh, you didn't know, then?"
Robert: "About what?"

Jonathan: "Well, it was a long time ago... but those two used to be married."
Robert: "WHAT!?"
Jonathan: "Hey, there's nothing simple between a man and a woman."
Robert: "I... I can't believe it..."

Kyosuke and Bullet have a heartfelt reunion with Master Rishu, who is thoroughly pleased with how much they've both grown. Bullet is already raring to go at another sparring session, eager to show off everything he's learned. Ryusei asks who the old guy is, and Ryoto informs him that he's the Tesla-Reich consultant who provided all the sword combat data for the Grungust series. Duly impressed, Ryusei makes a note to ask him for some pointers later.

Rishu: "Yes... I do believe SRX is equipped with a sword."
Ryusei: "Yep! The Unbreakable Heaven-and-Earth Blade!"
Ryoto: "Uh... you're serious?"
Ryusei: "I named it myself! Awesome super robot attacks need awesome names, right?"

Ryoto: "R... right..." :stonklol:
Rishu: "Unbreakable Heaven-and-Earth Blade, eh? Quite an audacious name. I like it."
Bullet: (Wow, they're more alike than I expected...)

In any case, it's time, so everybody makes their way to the cafeteria for the festivities. Giado leads off by wowing everybody with some singing. Latooni explains that he'd been planning on a solo career before entering the military. Tasuku takes the stage next, getting the crowd warmed up for the moment everyone's been waiting for!

:japan:

I never really got the bunny-girl appeal myself. Also, Excellen has not one, but two new facial expressions just for this segment, while Garnet just uses the same faces as with her normal outfits.

Ryusei: "What are they wearing!?"
Kyosuke: "Bunny outfits."
Ryusei: "No, I mean, I can see that, but---"

Irm reacts to Garnet and Excellen's arrival with delight; Bullet, meanwhile, is aghast at what Excellen's up to this time, which of course only encourages the two ladies. When Kusuha asks if he's all right (because his nose it bleeding, hurf), Bullet desperately appeals to Kyosuke to make them behave. Kyosuke, however, just says that Excellen can do as she likes.

Meanwhile, Rio's cooking is a hit, with Ryoto complimenting her that she puts world-class chefs to shame.

Eun and Radha invite Rai to try a dish they collaborated on. He's only too willing to sample it...

...but immediately has to ask for water; apparently the collaboration of Indian and Korean expertise is a bit too spicy for any "normal" person to handle.

The magic show is progressing, though Excellen complains that Tasuku's actually poking her during the swords-through-the-box trick. First he tries to suggest that she's gained weight, until Lune points out that he grabbed the wrong sword. Excellen sighs that she got all dressed up just to help him out...

Tasuku has a look around and notices that somebody's missing; where's Leona? According to Aya, she's been shut away in the kitchen working on something. Kuro thought she caught a whiff of something weird when she passed by; Aya would be worried if it were Kusuha, but it's Leona we're talking about! Everything should be fine, right?

:ohdear:

Tasuku: "Oh, sweet! I've been waiting for this! Time to dig in!"
Leona: "W-wait, don't---!"

Tasuku: "Om nom... mrgh...!?"
Aya: "What's wrong!?"
Tasuku: "Mrghllrgh...!"
Russel: "Tasuku!"

Tasuku: "Urgh.... *thud*"

You brought this on yourself, Tasuku. I have no sympathy for you at all. :colbert:

Everybody worriedly clusters around while Leona tries to apologize; she really doesn't know how to cook, but since he asked...

I have a hard time not reading her expression has a smirk, here.

Safely secluded from the lunacy, Daitetsu and Sean share a drink together, just like when they were younger. Daitetsu thinks this may be their last shared glass; Sean can't agree with his pessimism, even if he can't entirely disagree either.

Sorry, did I say safely secluded? :laugh:

Garnet: "Hey there, boys!"
Excellen: "Pardon uuuussss!"

Daitetsu: "Gh..!? What the blazes are you doing in that getup!?"
Garnet: "Isn't it obvious? We're bunny girls!"

Sean: "Now there's a sight to make me feel young again. Let's see, now... 93-58-88?"
Garnet: "That's amazing! You got it in one, XO!"
Sean: "Hmm. My keen eye hasn't deserted me yet."

Daitetsu still wants to know what the hell they're doing in his quarters. Excellen reminds him of his promise; it's time to break out the sake! Sean's only too happy to have two lovely ladies here to pour for them. Seeing no way out, the Hagane's captain has to admit defeat - but now that Garnet knows about it too, his private reserve isn't going to last very long...

During all this, Tetsuya and Eita have been on the bridge doing actual work. Or rather, Tetsuya's been working while Eita has been sighing and wishing that he could try some of the food Eun cooked. Finally Tetsuya's had enough and tells Eita to take 20 minutes and go check in on the party.

Almost immediately the door opens again. At first he thinks it's Eita come back already, but it's Lefina come to check on him, after spending a little time at the party herself.

Tetsuya explains that he's just been trying to keep everything in order, but then confesses that he can't really handle his liquor anyway. Lefina laughs, saying that she can see why Daitetsu puts his trust in him. He responds that he still doesn't really compare to her lofty reputation as the top graduate from Icarus Academy, outperforming officers ten years her senior.

Lefina: "It's mostly thanks to Sean that I've come this far. And didn't you graduate with honors yourself?"
Tetsuya: "Y-yes, well... I was second in my class."
Lefina: "But that's still outstanding, right?"
Tetsuya: "...I'm glad that you say so, but, um... I still have trouble, er... keeping my cool under pressure..."
Lefina: "?"

The alarm saves Tetsuya from further embarrassment - enemies are inbound!

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Wouldn't be a Robot show without a fanservice party. Well, at least only Excellen and Garnet dressed as bunnies.

Also, I guess Leona not being able to cook while Elzam can is supposed to be some kind of joke?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The bunny-girl thing is easy to explain: It's from Playboy. Which uses it because rabbits gently caress a lot.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Ashram posted:

Also, I guess Leona not being able to cook while Elzam can is supposed to be some kind of joke?

Actually, it's just the time-honored "a woman who can't cook? That's hilarious!" joke. They don't say "lol Elzam can cook and Leona can't, guess the Garsteins were on the shallow end of the family gene pool :smug:" (at least not in this game, don't remember if they do in OG2). In fact, Kyosuke's route pointedly doesn't do that, despite having more opportunity since Elzam is actually on the ship for the corresponding scene (we'll get to that later).

It doesn't annoy me here as much as it usually does since a) Leona is fully aware that she can't cook, b) she was pushed into it, and c) the only one to suffer is the idiot who pushed her into it in the first place.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 17, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Seyser Koze posted:

Sean: "Now there's a sight to make me feel young again. Let's see, now... 93-58-88?"
Garnet: "That's amazing! You got it in one, XO!"

We need a smiley that combines :japan: and :barf:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Actually, it's just the time-honored "a woman who can't cook? That's hilarious!" joke. They don't say "lol Elzam can cook and Leona can't, guess the Garsteins were on the shallow end of the family gene pool :smug:" (at least not in this game, don't remember if they do in OG2). In fact, Kyosuke's route pointedly doesn't do that, despite having more opportunity since Elzam is actually on the ship for the corresponding scene (we'll get to that later).

It doesn't annoy me here as much as it usually does since a) Leona is fully aware that she can't cook, b) she was pushed into it, and c) the only one to suffer is the idiot who pushed her into it in the first place.
It seems to be more of a "be careful what you wish for" kind of moments for Tasuku. But, as we'll see, things get better on that front.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

We need a smiley that combines :japan: and :barf:

Sean being a pig is a ship that's long since sailed, might as well just have a good time with it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Kyosuke's complete deadpan responses to Excellen's behaviour will never stop being amusing.

Coolguye posted:

Sean being a pig is a ship that's long since sailed, might as well just have a good time with it.

Sean certainly is!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hate Sean. Like seriously, he may be one of my least favorite OG characters. Dude veers between being boring and being a creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Seyser Koze posted:

(at least not in this game, don't remember if they do in OG2).
They don't, thankfully.

quote:

Actually, I've always read it more that she's becoming fond of him and wanted to do something for him (and thought "well, maybe this time won't blow up on everyone involved?"), and less that she was "pushed" into trying. She really could have said no to the cooking, after all. Leona's a strong woman and won't be easily pushed around, y'know.

• Locked thread