Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wounded Land posted:

And you'll notice that many of the hero units have German names, as well. It's best not to read too much into that, as it's probably not intentional.

Most of those heros were bad guys at one point! They have been rehabilitated, also it is only like... 4? Sanger, Rai, Elzam, and Leona, (Gilliam doesn't count for REASONS

anyone else mysteriously german that I didn't realize? The teams are mostly usa and japan style names, with a couple of others thrown in here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, worth pointing out, different dialog if you didn't get the final mission. Also EVERYONE has a battle convo with Levi, it's really loving neat. I guess because of OGs smaller cast they felt comfortable doing it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Marrionette Messiah is one of my favorite OG themes just saying.

Onmi posted:

So, worth pointing out, different dialog if you didn't get the final mission. Also EVERYONE has a battle convo with Levi, it's really loving neat. I guess because of OGs smaller cast they felt comfortable doing it.

You can't not get the final mission here.

For what Omni's talking about, in the original GBA version og OG1, the final stage and associated True Ending were secret, requiring a significant number of Battle Masteries. OGs changed this, removing the secret requirement.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
You know, Viletta has a twin spirit that will reduce all enemy hit rates by half!

Anyway, I love how everyone had a battle conversation with Levi. It's really cool, I'm glad they made it a thing for the first couple of OG games.

And out of his family, Elzam is the least evasive and the most defensive. He's balanced with a favour to dodge, Rai and Leona both have sky-high evasion and crummy defense. I think Rai naturally has the most, he's just stuck in a brick. Lune has the highest natural evasion in the game, just sometimes...that's not enough.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

AradoBalanga posted:

:dogbutton:
That...that should be an achievement in its own right. The RNG really did not like Lune today.

It's a trophy in 2nd OGs. 'It Happens A Lot'.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

AtomikKrab posted:

Most of those heros were bad guys at one point! They have been rehabilitated, also it is only like... 4? Sanger, Rai, Elzam, and Leona, (Gilliam doesn't count for REASONS

I said units, not pilots.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

MarsDragon posted:

Lune has the highest natural evasion in the game, just sometimes...that's not enough.

I once PARed her up to level 99 out of curiosity. She hits 400 Evade somewhere along the line. Girl's a ghost ninja or something.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So this is it, the game's big climax, and where I thought OG1 ended until my 2nd run where I got enough Battle Masteries to unlock the next stage. After a final, proper last bout with Ingram (not that crap where he waits for you patiently to recover infinitely from the other route) you then get a second half of the stage for the final boss. Honestly, Neviim makes it easier than it should be, but it is also a much more interesting setpiece.

Also, I like the interpretation of zealspam as blade mode. It works really well when so many finishers are swords!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Son Ryo posted:

It's a trophy in 2nd OGs. 'It Happens A Lot'.
I know about the 2nd OGs trophy, I was referring more to what MarsDragon said: Lune having some of the highest Evade in the game on top of After Image and an unique FUB (which I don't believe Seyser has at the moment) that boosts the After Image activation rate.

And she still got knocked down to 1 HP by a MAPW. Maybe I'm just going off my experience with Lune, who was very good at dodging things (outside of a few OG2/OG Gaiden bosses and/or surprise RNG spite).

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Marionette Messiah is one of the best songs in OG, yeah. Vocal version's pretty great too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aArkinmkcPw

It even sounded really cool when I played it way back when on the GBA version considering a lot of the music on that one was sort of eh and most of my favorites in OG1 come from this remake.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Marionette Messiah has probably the best vocal version of all the Alpha songs (I'm still sad that they ruined Ace Attacker by giving it to Apple Pie).

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
A little correction.
In Dante's Inferno, the sinners punished in Judecca aren't the ones who betrayed their own master, but those who betrayed their own benefactors.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, and here I thought we'd hit the final boss.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Because I am a nerd when I hear all those names I think of Wild Arms 2 bosses :downs:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 41

A little housekeeping to start us off. When we destroyed the R-GUN Rivale we got an S-Adapter, which sets all of a mech's terrain rankings to S. Sort of like the A-Adapter we got from fighting Bian/Maier. But with an S. Anyway, it goes on Kai's Gespenst.

I also give him the Shishioh Blade.

We've reached the White Star's core, and the goal is in sight. Gilliam warns everyone to be on their guard, and Viletta echoes the concern; the enemy's strongest mech has yet to show itself...

:awesomelon:

The Judecca appears. Levi's speech of villainy, and the team's reactions, are the same as on Ryusei's route up until the end:

Elzam: "Tell me something, Levi Tolar... after you've collected your weapons, where are you taking them?"
Levi: "There is no need for you to know that. You need only submit... and become weapons of the Balmar."
Sanger: "Absurd. We'll cleave this cage of yours in two!"
Levi: "Hmhmm... Judecca is the functional core of Neviim. Your paltry strength will never defeat it."

Levi: "Let me show you its namesake... the lowest depths of Hell."

Kyosuke: "Heh. Heh heh..."
Excellen"...!?"
Bullet: "L-Lieutenant..."
Tasuku: "Is he laughing!?"

Levi: "What's wrong? Has despair driven you mad?"

Kyosuke: "No... I'm just thinking I'm a lucky man. Not everyone gets the chance to bet their life at a time like this."
Excellen: "Ah, geez. Here he goes again..."

"This is Assault 1 to all units. No... everybody, listen up! This is the final hand - and our lives, and the fate of the Earth, are the ante."

Kyosuke: "If we lose, forget about going home broke, because it's all over. But if we win, we go home billionaires! We're going all in, folks!"
Ryusei: "You don't have to tell us that. It's been the plan all along!"
Rai: "You know it's bad form to make a wager in somebody else's name... but I'll go along."
Masaki: "Count me in!"

Excellen: "Yep. That's why I love him."
Bullet: "You should probably save that for the private channel, Lieutenant."

Excellen: "!!!!! B-B-B-Bullet!? D-did you hear... I mean, did you just---"
Bullet: "Nope, not a word. C'mon, Lieutenant, let's roll."
Excellen: "...Mrgh... Excellen Browning commits the blunder of a lifetime..."
Kyosuke: "Focus up, Excellen. This fight will settle everything..."

Levi: "Foolish man. You have piloting skill, but no advanced powers. Do you think to challenge me with intuition and luck alone?"
Tasuku: (His intuition and luck are an "advanced power" all by themselves...)
Kyosuke: "Talk all you want, but I'm calling your bluff. Put your cards on the table, if you can."

Levi: "Cards?"
Kyosuke: "That's right. Read 'em and weep..."

Mission 41: Break Through

:eng99: Actually the title card is supposed to finish Kyosuke's sentence, but that's a pain in the rear end to work out grammatically, so Atlus just changed his line. Works for me.

No points for guessing our victory condition here. The battle mastery gives us a fairly generous ten turns to destroy Judecca this time around.

We're in Neviim's core again, with Levi parked right where Ingram was on Ryusei's route. In place of the handful of Aerogater grunts from Ryusei 41, we have no less than twenty Vayyikra Bens - four of which are positioned in the corners to either side of our starting position, meaning that we either have to send people to engage them or have them come up behind us as we advance.

All told, I much prefer this mission, because those Habakkuks were freaking ridiculous and the Vayyikras are actually much easier to take down.

This map seriously begs for a Laser Eye or something that fires a 3-square-wide MAP beam down the hallway.

Vayyikras in front of us, Vayyikras behind us.

Never fear, Samurai Kai is on the job. Pretty good damage for neutral morale.

We keep pushing forward on Turn 2 and get our first couple of kills. I'm going to need to deal with the enemies in back soon, but I'll let them get a little closer first.

Turn 3 looks like a good time to do it, so the people in back (in no particular order: Kyosuke, Excellen, Ryusei, Rai, Lune, Gilliam, Elzam, and Katina) turn around and kick their faces in.

It takes Turn 3 and the beginning of Turn 4 to deal with them, during which we also finish off the enemies at the end of the hallway and break into Levi's chamber.

Tasuku: "Heheh, looks like Lady Luck smiles upon me! You never get to play for stakes like these!"
Levi: "Do not think that luck will save you. The difference in power between us is self-evident."
Tasuku: "Really? Then I'll just have to... try a little trick!"
Levi: "What are you plotting? It's meaningless!"
Tasuku: "I'll reveal my secret... in exchange for your life!"

:cthulhu:

No actual damage to Levi yet, since she'll just heal it back by the time we're ready to start going after her.

On Turn 5 everybody piles into the core. There's no Neviim to give us easy recovery this time, so we only have those scattered green squares for recovery. They're not nearly as good as Neviim was for that, which is weird considering that we're in Neviim. :argh:

They don't give us any hit or dodge bonus, so to even the playing field we'll dig into twin spirits for... the second time this game? Specifically, Viletta has this beauty called Confuse, which halves enemy hit rates for the entire turn. Unlike a number of twin spirits, the SP cost is also reasonable.

By the end of Turn 5 everybody's nice and close to Levi...

...So she does her first Antenora.

For the most part people dodge or tank the hits without trouble. Except for Kai and Radha, but Kai has mustache power and Rada has yoga power so they should be fine. Nobody gets left with 1 health this time.

The two remaining Vayyikras don't handle the attack so well either.

On turn 6 we finish off the last trash and bait Levi into doing another Antenora, which doesn't land a solid hit on anybody.

On turn 7 we get positioned for the finale. Levi goes after Kai during the enemy phase, and this time we can start counterattacking.

Kai: "In a way, I'm grateful. Thanks to you, the Aggressors have been reunited."
Levi: "What..?"
Kai: "And... we've laid Colonel Lau's spirit to rest."
Levi: "Do you make an offering of yourself, in your defeat? Do not worry... I will send you to join him at once."
Kai: "No need. I already walk among ghosts. I... and my Gespenst...!"

:cthulhu:

We've seen essentially this entire routine already, so I'll fast-forward a bit and just show the pilot conversations we didn't see before. Radha and Elzam open with their Armor Breaker/Ability Down combo.

Radha: "It's just as we predicted! You're---"
Levi: "Your spiritual powers are well-tuned... have you discovered something?"
Radha: "It's not power. It's data! You're not an alien! You're the same as the rest of us..."

They're supported by Lune. Then we have Tasuku plus Masaki, then...

Sanger: "....."
Levi: "I feel it... your power is not what we seek. It is savage, unknown... dangerous."
Sanger: “To see people only in terms of their ‘value...’ you’ve forgotten something important.”
Levi: "Do not think Judecca will fall to brute force!"

Sanger: "The time for talk is past!"
Levi: "What?"
Sanger: "I am Sanger! Sanger Zonvolt! The sword that smites evil! Here, the Type-0's blade will turn all your efforts to naught!"

"Levi Tolar! You will fall into Hell alone!"

Ryusei does an R-Formation as a support. Still just getting started.

On Kyosuke's route, knocking Levi below 80% triggers the first part of her big mid-battle dialogue from Ryusei's route, where Ryusei tries to convince her that she's being manipulated just like Tenzan was.

Sanger's Hit & Away means he can clear out after attacking and let somebody else attack from melee range. Next up is Kai plus Bullet, and then Bullet moves into Sanger's empty spot to use Darkness Blade (and get his love bonus from Kusuha in the process).

Bullet: "Don't think you'll win so easily, Levi Tolar!"
Levi: "Hmph... you seem to have the power, but you'll never harm me."
Bullet: "I don't need any 'power' for that! I'll beat you with my guts!"

I'm actually surprised Kusuha did that much damage on a support. She does get a love bonus from Bullet too, of course.

We missed Rai last time, so he takes his turn now.

Levi: "If you resist me to the end, then you will die!"
Rai: "I didn't get here by being afraid of death."
Levi: "If you do not fear, then you accept."
Rai: "I have a place to protect. People to protect. I can't die while that's the case... this is not my grave!"

Getting there. Lune supports again...

...and Levi falls below 50%, and you get the rest of her mid-battle dialogue from the other route, where Aya realizes who she's actually fighting.

Moving on to Lune...

Levi: "Designing a machine in one's own likeness... human weapons are strange."
Lune: "You don't get it, do you... feeling and hope were put into building my Valsione!"
Levi: "If such vague notions do not result in power, they are useless."
Lune: "Oh, they do... you want power? I'll show you power!"

She gets a support from Katina (double-barreled Cross Smashers :magical:), and then Katina takes her own turn.

Katina: "Time for the main event! You're not getting out of here alive!"
Levi: "Simple-minded and eager to fight. Such samples hardly need to be analyzed to defeat."
Katina: "Don't make me laugh! Fighting smug bitches like you gets me all fired up. So analyze this, alien!"

Hey, we can finally see her health.

Also, Russell does a support that fails to get through Levi's TK barrier.

Speaking of Russell...

Russell: "I've come this far! Now it's time to do my part!"
Levi: "Such inspiring resolve. Do you really think you can stand against me?"
Russell: "I didn't come here for you! I came here to watch Lieutenant Katina's back! And compared to her punishments, there's nothing you can do to me!"

No Valor, though.

Anyway, I guess the stars of the show should do their thing.

Levi: "Ingram's chosen sample... he may have selected a double-edged sword."
Kyosuke: "There are no ties in this game. And we have to beat a joker... with one final draw!"
Levi: "Then show me your hand!"
Kyosuke: "No time for regrets. The chips are already down...!"

He does a 35k Rampage Ghost, then it's Gilliam's turn.

Gilliam: "You stand at a crossroads. Down one road lies the future I've predicted. But down the other... lies something different."
Levi: "This feeling, this power... has it just awakened? Or have you been concealing it?"
Gilliam: "It doesn't matter. I don't need any powers to see your future. It's reflected in the eyes of everyone here!"

Gilliam leaves her just above 40k, then Masaki and Kusuha do a Cosmo Nova and Doomblade to bring her down to around 7000 health, leaving us with the finish.

Excellen: "Looks like it's finally the last battle... isn't that right, little Levi?"
Levi: "You... ah, yes. You're the one Atad warned me about. Don't address me in that manner. It's unbefitting of a sample."
Excellen: "So cold... well, if you can't settle it with words, you settle it with fists, right?"

:toot:

Levi's death is the same as on Ryusei's route.

Outside, Lefina is trying to monitor what's going on inside the fortress, but with nothing but explosions and energy readings to go off of they're not having much luck.

Then they get the news from Aidoneus that something is wrong.

Speaking of the Hiryu, I think Lefina was the only one who didn't directly fight Levi on Ryusei's route, and she wasn't even in the fight on Kyosuke's. Here's what she would have said:

quote:

Sean: "Captain, it's the fated hour."
Lefina: "Yes... we've been trusted with the hope for humanity's future. We must defeat her!"
Levi: "Your only future is to serve in our vanguard!"
Lefina: "Then we will have to destroy you!"

One mission left, so probably three more updates if we take the separate route endings into account.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Seyser Koze posted:

He does a 35k Rampage Ghost, then it's Gilliam's turn.

Gilliam: "You stand at a crossroads. Down one road lies the future I've predicted. But down the other... lies something different."
Levi: "This feeling, this power... has it just awakened? Or have you been concealing it?"
Gilliam: "It doesn't matter. I don't need any powers to see your future. It's reflected in the eyes of everyone here!"

I love every moment where the enemy finally realises they have no idea what the gently caress is up with Gilliam.

Gilliam :swoon:

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
My favorite quote is where Levi confirms that Sanger is a Badass Oldtype.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
What I wouldn't give for a Gilliam/Sanger/Elzam combo attack. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

What I wouldn't give for a Gilliam/Sanger/Elzam combo attack. :allears:
You should be ashamed at leaving Kai off that list. :colbert:

But seriously Banpresto, give the Aggressors a combination attack already. They are way overdue for that.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Only Kai and Gilliam need a combo attack. Sanger and Elzam already have one, or did you forget?

"The Mk I of technique!"
"The Mk II of strength!"
"GESPENST DOUBLE KICK!"

It would've been perfect.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Only Kai and Gilliam need a combo attack. Sanger and Elzam already have one, or did you forget?
What's wrong with having more than one combination attack?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

What's wrong with having more than one combination attack?

When it doesn't involve a Kamen Rider reference? EVERYTHING. :colbert:

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

"The Mk I of technique!"
"The Mk II of strength!"
"GESPENST DOUBLE KICK!"

The destructive power of Kai's mustache and Gilliam's hair would be off the chart!

Especially considering that Gilliam is Gespenst

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

"The Mk I of technique!"
"The Mk II of strength!"
"GESPENST DOUBLE KICK!"

This seriously needs to happen. They'll need some kind of upgrade in OG3rd too so might as well.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 42

At long last, we're at the really-truly-honest-to-god final mission. After making sure I've spent all my cash on upgrades and dumped everybody's pilot points into raising their stats, it's time to begin.

Aboard a transport near the Marquesas...

*explosion*

Kai: "Gh... What's the situation!?"
Soldier: "The fleet and ground forces have been wiped out! Um... n-no, wait... they've been absorbed!"
Kai: "Absorbed? What do you mean?"
Soldier: "H-here... it's the video feed from a recon craft."
Kai: "Wh... what is that...?"

:siren:
Operator: "Target's shape is still changing! It's getting bigger!"
Kai: "Get us out of here! Send a message to the other ships, get clear of Aidoneus waters!"
Operator: "S-Sir!"
Kai: "drat it, Aerogaters... your ultimate weapon was here all along!"

Soldier: "Major! The Kurogane and Hiryu Kai are inbound!"
Kai: "What? They can't be heading for Aidoneus!?"

On Kyosuke's route, this scene is essentially the same, except that instead of Kai it's Laker and Sakae at the Far East Base.

Video

Also the final boss music.

Um. :stare:

Its shape has changed significantly, but the massive object is undoubtedly Meteor-3. The Balmar sent their final countermeasure to Earth in advance of the White Star; now, in defeating the White Star, we have unwittingly activated it.

Now things fall into place for Ryoto. Bian Zoldark's decision to place Meteor-3 under lockdown, placing a gravity anchor to hold it in place, must have been in anticipation of this day. Indeed, keeping the meteor under observation may have been the reason he built DC headquarters on Aidoneus in the first place. As Elzam puts it, at the outset of the conflict, the arrow of destiny had already been loosed. But even Dr. Zoldark couldn't have predicted this...

Viletta watches in silence, thinking. Now that it's active, Septuagint is growing still, feeding on the humans it has absorbed, their mechanical creations, and the Zfylud Crystals implanted within it. If this continues unchecked, the destruction may not end with Earth's civilization; the planet itself is at risk.

Eun detects movement as enemy units emerge from the massive structure: DC and Federation machines. Even though they were only recently absorbed, Meteor-3 is already duplicating them. No doubt a similar fate lies in store for our own pilots - to be wiped of all humanity and turned into mere materials for this Aerogater weapon.

Garnet: "N-no way! We came through all this... just to get eaten by that thing!?"
Giado: "Hey now, girl! This show ain't over till the fat lady sings!"
Ryusei: "Yeah! After all that, smashing a rock or two should be a cinch!"
Irm: "Right. After winning the last battle, we have to see this through."
Tasuku: "When it comes down to it, popping up at this island like it did... really, that thing's the one with its back to the wall."

Rai: "No backing down now. It's our duty to give the Aerogaters their last rites."
Aya: "We owe it to them... to Major Ingram... and to her..."
Kusuha: "So that nobody else ends up like them..."
Bullet: "We'll grind that meteor into dust!"

Excellen: "That's the spirit! How about you, Kyosuke?"
Kyosuke: "Becoming part of a rock... talk about a bad joke."
Excellen: "Aw, hey. The mind and body are one... right?"
Kyosuke: "Not like this. After all the fighting we already did, this pebble's just wasting our time."
Lune: "My dad gave us this chance... I'm not going to let it go to waste now!"
Masaki: "You got it! We're not letting Earth be destroyed just on some alien's say-so!"

Sanger: "Captain! It's time for our final order!"
Daitetsu: "Indeed! All units, launch!"

"I AM... SEPTUAGINT... I AM..."

Final Mission: The Adjudicator

"SUBJECT CIVILIZATION HAS... EXCEEDED ACCEPTABLE LIMITS... ERASURE PROGRAM... SECOND PHASE... COMMENCING... PRIORITY... ELIMINATE THREAT TO BALMAR..."

Eita: "Captain! The units around Meteor-3 are moving!"
Daitetsu: "The damned meteor thinks us a pest to be exterminated... Then we will show it differently, with all our might."

"I want you all to remember what has brought us here. The sorrow we have seen... When we falter, countless innocents suffer. Now I must ask you to summon your courage and strength once more... Meteor-3 must be destroyed, at any cost!"

Lefina: "Yes... this battle is the true conclusion. The hope and future of all humanity lies in our hands!"
Daitetsu: "All units! Commence assault!"
Lefina: "Adjudicator... today is your judgement day!"

The objectives are just a formality at this point.

Aidoneus. The last time we were here, it was to fight Bian, and then to fight a bunch of Aerogater drones. Now we get to fight both DCs and Aerogaters at the same time!

There's Meteor-3, right where we left it. Just... floating. And bigger.

Our final boss: Septuagint. It one-ups the Judecca by a bit, having 320,000 health if you got every battle mastery. Like the other endgame bosses, it has 10% HP regeneration per turn, as well as a barrier that halves incoming damage from most weapons.

It also has... no pilot skills whatsoever, despite being level 80.

Anyway, Septuagint is content to sit back and wait for us. We have other enemies to wade through in the meantime. First on the menu are the Federation/DC machines that Septuagint just regurgitated; we have a Stork, two Rhinos, a few Landlions... and a bunch of lowly jets, both Messers and Schwerts - in other words, early-game enemies that we haven't seen in forever.

They're definitely not early-game skill level, though. These guys can fly circles around most of your pilots.

Leona Focuses up and manages to take this duo out with a well-placed shotgun blast, but several of my other guys go on to whiff repeatedly, even with hitrates in the 70% range.

Masaki isn't putting up with the aggravation and just flies past them, leaving everybody else to deal with them. Thanks, Masaki. You're a real pal.

The simplest way to deal with the jets is to just lead the way using a super with Strike active, and let the enemies pound away for a turn and get killed on counterattacks. Sanger does the job here.

Once the jets are down, the Landlions fall more easily.

Which is not to say they don't pull off a few BS dodges just to annoy me, though. :argh:

Thankfully, the three enemy carriers are total pushovers and can't really dodge at all. Unless you're a battleship captain, in which case they can.

"Commence bombardment!"
"All guns, fire at will. I will share the Captain's secret with the gunner who sinks the target."

"U-Um... XO?" :ohdear:

All three carriers go down during turn 4, but in the meantime we have to worry about the next wave. Behind the last of the Fed/DC units is a line of Habakkuks, and behind them there's a line of Ezekiels. These are the rear end in a top hat Habakkuks from Ryusei's endgame, not the relatively easy ones from Kyosuke's version.

But Leona's on hand with the Graviton Launcher, counterattacking all of them and making things a lot more tolerable. In fact, you can spam your high-energy-cost attacks with abandon on this mission, because all the structures on the map are considered part of a base, with a hefty HP/EN regen per turn.

While we're dealing with them, Septuagint opens fire. It has a rather long range.

That didn't look like something we'd want to get hit with. That's probably also the only time it'll use that attack on a playthrough, since it switches to its primary weapon (and energy drainers) as you get closer.

The Ezekiels aren't as heavily armored as the Habakkuks, but it doesn't really matter because they're parked on the rim of the crater, which gives a 20% defense bonus.

This was the result of a sub-300-damage hit from Excellen; the second Ezekiel didn't even take damage thanks to its barrier. Oxtongue E isn't exactly the Weissritter's primary attack, but it illustrates why you can't hold back here.

A few Revolver Stakes and Oxtongue Ds and Zankantos and T-LINK Knuckles take care of that.

And with them gone, it's time to move on to Septuagint, which you'll quickly realize is a very odd design for a final boss fight. For starters, see that metal platform going all around it?

It's a base, with 30% def/evade and 20% HP/EN regen. Eight squares of defense-y regeneration-y goodness, right up in the boss' face. Also of note is that the space in the middle (the one Septuagint is actually flying over) offers no bonuses.

Septuagint also has no MAP weapon, and there's no time limit, so you have all the time in the world to get your people all cozied up and in position.

Its Omega Wave attack, which it will use exclusively once you get close, is single-target and not too difficult to dodge. At least it's impressive-looking.

It attacks by just flat-out smashing into the ground and cracking open a giant hole.

This hole is apparently wide enough both for the huge-rear end boss and ourselves to vomfortably fit into, and deep enough that you can fall continuously without hitting the bottom. Also, the Earth is hollow beneath the crust. I guess this is La Gias?

Having gone to the trouble of dragging you to the center of the Earth, it then fires a huge-rear end laser and blasts you back out of it.

Out and into space.

Where you explode and then fall back to Earth in a hail of pyroclasts.

Filled with rage over Latooni's not-quite-demise, Ryusei and Rio dish out a TK Burst Slash and Shishioh Blade.

And with that small head start on the boss' health, we're ready to get started. Elzam and Ryoto take care of debuffing Septuagint...

And Ryusei and Rio do their thing.

Being level 80, Septuagint gives an obscene amount of experience, considering that Ryusei and company are my highest-leveled people and they get almost half a level's worth just for damaging the boss. If there was any use for experience at this point, I'd be trying to take advantage.

"TARGET DATA... CONFIRMED... DANGER... DANGER...... ELIMINATE... IMMEDIATELY..."

Eun: "Four new contacts! Flower class!"
Sean: "Oh, my... the large game has arrived."
Lefina: "It's getting worried!"
Sean: (Hmhmm... a sound judgement. Though I would expect no less.)
Lefina: "All units, keep your fire on Meteor-3!"

With the boss at 80%, now there are four Hulehs joining the fun. If you were so inclined you could stop and kill them for cash, most likely letting the boss regenerate in the process. I don't think I can muster the willpower for that, so instead I'm going to kill the boss as fast as possible.

Yep, given Septuagint's total lack of piloting skills or noteworthy features, the devs clearly intended for it to be a big 320,000-HP punching bag, and I'm going to treat it accordingly.

"DAMAGE AT 50%... COMBAT STRENGTH... ESTIMATES EXCEEDED...... EMERGENCY PROTOCOL INITIATED... ELIMINATE TARGET CIVILIZATION... IMMEDIATELY..."

Ryusei: "These were with Judecca!"
Masaki: "Heh, drat rock! It knows we've got it on the ropes now!"
Kyosuke: "It's not too late for it to turn the tables. Keep up the pressure!"
Ryusei: "Roger!"
Masaki: "Got it! Time to press the advantage!"
Kyosuke: "Here goes...!"

And now we have eight Vayyikras to deal with too. Again, I could stop and kill them for the cash, and again, I'm still not stopping.

But okay, I'll use some other attacks.

But then we revert to form.

"DANGER... DANGER... DANGER... DANGER...... NO MATCHING DATA... NO MATCHING DATA..."

Eita: "Captain! Meteor-3, it's---"
Daitetsu: "Gh...!!"

"BIOLOGICAL CORE... BEGINNING RESTORATION...... JUDECCA... BEGINNING RESTORATION..."

Daitetsu: "...! It's building another!?"
Tetsuya: "You can't be serious...!?"
Daitetsu: "No! All units, destroy Meteor-3 now! There's no time left!"

Kyosuke: "How long do we have!?"
Gilliam: "It took about five minutes to produce the earlier replicas... we have that long, at most, to finish it!"
Daitetsu: "Good! All units, you have five minutes! Blow that thing out of the sky!"
Ryusei: "Five? That's plenty of time!"

Once Septuagint hits 35% health, a time limit is suddenly imposed; if the boss isn't dead within five turns, game over. If you've made it this far, there's probably no real risk of that happening.

Also, this music starts playing, and overrides The Adjudicator for the remainder of the mission.

Kyosuke and Excellen get off their token Rampage Ghost of the fight, and Latooni gets some revenge for that first big hit she took.

Then Ryusei takes yet another turn and deals the final blow.

"I AM... DE... FEA... TED......!"

"DAN... GER...... TO... CIVI... LI... ZATION...... DESTROYER... OF... OR... DER..."

"DANGER.... DAN... GER... UN... ABLE... TO... REPORT..."

"I... AM..."

"THE... LAST......"

:kamina:

:signings:

And that was Septuagint. It's really sort of a me-too boss after Ingram and Levi; even if I hadn't done Zealspam with SRX we probably still could've taken it out in one turn. It was much more resilient in the GBA version; there, the only attacks that ignored barriers were combo attacks, so TK Burst Slash would do half damage if you didn't cast Fury every time.

Next up, the endings.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Congrats on beating OG1 :toot:

I think the idea they were going for was for you to not be able to beat it in a single turn, so you'd have to constantly deal with reinforcements. But, you know, Zealspam.

Seyser Koze posted:

"I... AM..."

"THE... LAST......"

Well isn't this interesting?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The Septuagint shows that Balmarian civilization has reached gray goo levels of manufacturing capability. Meaning that it is no longer an economic drain to build a manufacturing base. The Septuagint could just grow itself exponentially until it runs out of planet. This means they could park something like it on any uninhabited planet - Mars, for example - and crank out a couple quadrillion drones before running out of material. Even if they harvested everyone on Earth as samples, and even if everyone were as capable as our heroes here, would they still be as useful as a couple million unpiloted machines each? I think not. What I'm saying is Bian Zoldark isn't the only world-shaking mecha nerd in the galaxy.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

And now we get to move on to OG2 which will be even more...interesting.

I'm such a nerd, I love it when there's a full music override like that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If I remember right, the stage theme for this chapter in the GBA was the title theme. Did OGs keep that?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yup! When you first deploy the OG1 title theme starts playing, I always thought it was one of the better SRW title themes for use as a stage theme.

So hey, good showing of OG1 Seyser. Are you going to take a break before moving on to OG2? I get the feeling we're going to tear the GBA version of that one apart with the commentary. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, after the marathon of the previous stages, Septuagint is kind of a bummer for a secret final boss fight.

Of course, I'd prefer it over the mess that OG2's secret final boss stage is. :shepicide:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This giant Meteor-Robot was honestly kind of lame compared to the Judecca. This seems like a kind of underwhelming climax compared to the last map, especially Ryusei's which had the whole two maps in one thing against Ingram and Levi.

Did the Alpha games have this set up as well? Because it seems kind of strange to me that they didn't just end with the previous map.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

OG as a whole tends to avoid the end bosses of other SRW games, in Alpha the end boss was a boss rush of mechs made out of the same materials that meteor 3 is, but they were part of the Aerogater fleet and piloted by someone even higher on the totem pole than Levi, followed by Euzeth (the guy we saw waking up Ingram a while ago) piloting a black Judecca. Levi was just a recurring midboss. Septuagint in OG1 was a curveball in that it is an entirely new unit made specifically for OG. You know, for all the characterization it has. :v:

Bian and the Valsion would be the only final bosses I can think of that stuck around mostly unchanged IIRC.

e: There's so much going in the last chunk of the final stage of Alpha 1 (You know how Ryusei's previous stage had 2 parts? The end of Alpha has 3 parts) that even the spoilers are fairly meaningless without context and the OGverse version of the Balmarian plot is vastly different anyway so I imagine it doesn't even matter. But I can remove the spoiler if SK thinks it says too much.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 26, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This giant Meteor-Robot was honestly kind of lame compared to the Judecca. This seems like a kind of underwhelming climax compared to the last map, especially Ryusei's which had the whole two maps in one thing against Ingram and Levi.

Did the Alpha games have this set up as well? Because it seems kind of strange to me that they didn't just end with the previous map.
Without going into heavy spoilers, there are two boss units from Alpha 1 that do not show up here. They are much more serious than Septuagint.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Alpha games had a very complex way of going about its finale. For one, you're dealing with the SMTC of Gunbuster, then the Aerogaters, and I'm fairly certain there was another faction? In short, everyone and their mother coming along for a whoopin.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Without going into heavy spoilers, there are two boss units from Alpha 1 that do not show up here. They are much more serious than Septuagint.

It's strange they didn't leave the Septuagint for the sequel as well then. I thought Levi and the Judecca seemed to be a pretty climactic and cool final boss but the Septuagint is kind of boring and is thus this final map came off as more lame than the penultimate map.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

GimmickMan posted:

So hey, good showing of OG1 Seyser. Are you going to take a break before moving on to OG2? I get the feeling we're going to tear the GBA version of that one apart with the commentary. :v:

Maybe a week or two. I was actually surprised that I managed to squeeze the whole game into a single year.

GimmickMan posted:

e: There's so much going in the last chunk of the final stage of Alpha 1 (You know how Ryusei's previous stage had 2 parts? The end of Alpha has 3 parts) that even the spoilers are fairly meaningless without context and the OGverse version of the Balmarian plot is vastly different anyway so I imagine it doesn't even matter. But I can remove the spoiler if SK thinks it says too much.

I'll be going over all that once I've covered the endings, so don't worry too much about spoiling things.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's strange they didn't leave the Septuagint for the sequel as well then. I thought Levi and the Judecca seemed to be a pretty climactic and cool final boss but the Septuagint is kind of boring and is thus this final map came off as more lame than the penultimate map.

OGfinalbosses.txt

BlitzBlast posted:

If I remember right, the stage theme for this chapter in the GBA was the title theme. Did OGs keep that?

Yeah, the GBA title theme is the map music for this mission.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 26, 2015

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
It's a little presumptuous before the ending, but congrats on clearing OG1. I'm really looking forward to OG2, it's one of my favorite SRWs :allears:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ending, Ryusei Route

Eita confirms the destruction of Meteor-3. Somehow, against all odds, we've done it.

Daitetsu: "You've done well, everyone. As of this moment, Operation SRW is officially a success."
Tetsuya: "Aye-aye, sir... I guess that means it's time for that drink."
Daitetsu: "Heh heh... so it is..."

-----

With both Meteor-3 and the Judecca out of the picture, Neviim has become completely inert. Ryusei doesn't seem to hear the news. Rai asks him what's wrong, and with a little hesitation, he asks them about Levi.

Neither Rai nor Aya say anything, and it finally falls to Radha to speak. Most likely, Levi Tolar was in reality Mai Kobayashi - Aya's sister. Officially, she died in an accident at ICS, but it seems that instead Ingram took her to the White Star and placed her under the Aerogaters' control. It fits with what they know, given that most of the aliens have turned out to actually be Earthlings, and Judecca was clearly exerting its own influence over her as well. Shakily, Ryusei asks if killing her was really the only option... was there really no other choice? Radha confirms; they were lucky with Kusuha, but they wouldn't have known where to begin freeing Levi from control.

Aya: "Ryu, remember what Major Ingram said. Don't be bound by your past... and follow your own road to the future."
Ryusei: "Aya..."
Rai: "Captain..."
Aya: "So I will. Even with everything in my past, I'll still go forward, and overcome it."
Ryusei: "I know."

Aya: "And... somewhere... I think we'll meet the Major and Mai again."
Ryusei: "...Huh?"
Aya: "I don't understand it either. It's just... a feeling I have."

-----

In a private room somewhere, Gilliam asks Viletta to fill in some of the gaps in their data, and she obliges without complaint. Ingram was an agent of Neviim's creators; should Neviim detect a suitable civilization, he was to awaken automatically, along with Judecca, and commence collecting suitable specimens. But something happened when Ingram awoke, and he came under the dominion of something else - something more powerful even than Judecca's control. Even up to the end, we never really knew Ingram's true self.

Gilliam: "Another question. Why didn't Judecca control you?"
Viletta: "Before I awakened fully, Ingram removed my shackles. He called me his other self... his kindred."
Gilliam: "....."
Viletta: "I'm a clone, derived from him. The same, but... also not."

Viletta: "He gave me a mission. I was to walk among Neviim's enemies..."
Gilliam: "I see."
Viletta: "A double agent, so to speak. Heh... it's a rather poor justification, isn't it?"
Gilliam: "....."

Gilliam has a final question: who built Neviim and sent it to Earth? Viletta has a name - the Imperial Supervisory Force, of the Balmar - but no detailed information. She and Ingram were given Neviim. They were given instructions to go to Earth, seed it with Meteor-3, and gather weapons. But where they were to bring those weapons was unknown; their creators remained a mystery.

(It's still not clear whether the aliens we contacted in Antarctica actually were the Balmar. There's not just one other civilization in the galaxy... on the contrary, a vast array of worlds beyond imagining. Like... a laboratory flask. But as to what, exactly, is being studied...)

Gilliam: "Viletta. I'll be returning to Intelligence shortly. During the reconstruction, I'll probably be assigned to investigating the White Star. If possible, I'd appreciate your help."
Viletta: "......"
Gilliam: "Intelligence is always looking to recruit skilled individuals like yourself. Of course, I'll see that your origins remain a secret."

Viletta: "I'm sorry. Ingram left me a duty - to watch over the SRX Team in his absence."
Gilliam: "I thought so. Then I won't try to dissuade you."
Viletta: "But if you ever need my knowledge, call on me any time. I'll be happy to help."

Viletta: "And, Major, before you go... I wanted to thank you."
Gilliam: "Me?"

Viletta: "Yes. For trusting me..."
Gilliam: "Heh... Likewise."

-----

Sean and Daitetsu are in the captain's cabin, visiting one last time. The Hiryu Kai will be returning to Icarus Academy in the asteroid belt. Technically it's based out of there, so they really do need to go back; but moreover, the need for a defense network in the solar system is now undeniable. Daitetsu gripes that Sean is heading back out into the sea of stars without him; Sean protests that it's a most pressing and difficult mission, but Daitetsu counters - correctly, of course - that Sean is just as eager to get away from Federation military command.

Daitetsu: "Ah, well... Now, why don't we open up that 10-year MacAllan of yours?"
Sean: "Hmph. I should have known I couldn't conceal it forever..."

-----

The ATX Team are in the Hiryu Kai's hangar, preparing to take their leave before its departure. Most of them, anyway. Sanger and Elzam never returned to the Hiryu or the Kurogane following the final battle. Excellen tries to make a joke about how they come and go like the wind, while Tasuku grumbles about losing out on Elzam's cooking. (Atlus: "So they're MSG?" "That's MIA. Elzam never cooks with MSG." "Too bad, it tastes really good.") However, Kyosuke is sure that if the Earth faces another crisis, the two of them will be there - and then they'll be reunited again.

Good going, Kyosuke. Now you've jinxed us all.

Bullet asks Tasuku if he's sure about going to the asteroid belt. He responds that the Hiryu Kai is his ship, and he wouldn't feel right anywhere else. Leona watches this in silence. Bullet comments that it'll be lonely without him, but Tasuku just laughs; Bullet's in no position to complain when he's sure to have Kusuha close at hand. Tasuku tells him to treat her right, and to keep an eye on Rio and Ryoto while he's at it.

Excellen sidles over and quietly asks him if that's all he has to say right now. After all, this is his last chance - or has he given up? Kyosuke didn't hear her, but seemingly didn't need to; he tells Tasuku that sometimes to win a bet, you've got to take matters into your own hands. Tasuku realizes he's talking about his bet with Irm from way back about his romantic prospects, and decides it's now or never.

Tasuku: "Say... Leona."
Leona: "...What?"

Tasuku: "How'd you feel about, uh... going to Icarus? With me, I mean. I, uh, I'd like to try your cooking again, and, uh... something like that?"
Leona: "...You want to try my cooking?"

Tasuku: "Well that's not the point, I mean, I want to be with you, and, uh..."
Excellen: (Ouch. I don't think this could get any more awkward...)

Tasuku: "So, uh... how about it? I'll understand if you say no, of course, so---"
Leona:"....."

Leona: "...All right."
Tasuku: "Whoa, seriously? Really!? You mean it!?"
Leona: "Of course. Without you around, it'll be... boring."
Tasuku: "Aw, HELL YEAH! Tasuku Shinguji is triumphant! A once-in-a-lifetime gamble!"
Excellen: "You did it, Tasuku!"
Bullet: (So he succeeded with a line like that, huh...)
Kyosuke: (You'll want to think twice about bringing up her cooking, though...)

Katina and Russell come by, telling Tasuku to shake a leg; the ship will be departing soon, and they need to get ready. Before they leave, Leona tells him that there is just one condition to her going with him: if she finds out that he wasn't really serious, she'll punish him even harder than Katina. Tasuku shakily agrees, and it looks like Leona will have things well in hand.

Katina and Russell say their goodbyes as well. Kyosuke says to take care, and she says that when she becomes a test pilot she'll be sure to come back, just to boast about it. Russell thinks that she maybe saying that, but she's still taking Kyosuke's Gespenst - the one she painted - with her out to the asteroid belt.

Katina: "Hah? What's that look for, Russell?"
Russell: "No, uh... nothing. Well, take care, ATX team..."

Some things never change.

-----

Lefina makes a final transmission to Daitetsu as the Hiryu leaves. She thanks Daitetsu for the opportunity to learn from his example, though he replies that he should be thanking her, as without her assistance victory would never have been possible. In the end, of course, they decide that the real thanks should go to everybody who participated in Operation SRW, because nobody can accept credit when it's given to them ever.

Lefina: "And, Commander Tetsuya..."
Tetsuya: "Yes, ma'am?"
Lefina: "You're an excellent officer, just like Sean. Have confidence as you carry out your duties in the future."
Tetsuya: "Th... thank you, ma'am."

She says goodbye, and the transmission ends.

Eita: "What was that all about, XO? Just now..."
Tetsuya: "N-nothing! Nothing at all."
Eita: "Oh. So you and she are..."
Tetsuya: "Just send them a signal saying 'Godspeed.'"
Eita: "A... aye-aye, sir..."

Daitetsu: "We should cast off as well. The base awaits."
Tetsuya: "Aye-aye, Captain. It's been a while since you last saw your granddaughter, hasn't it?"
Daitetsu: "It certainly has. I'm sure she's more adorable and energetic then ever... Wait, just what brought this on, XO?"
Tetsuya: "Nothing at all, Captain. Your orders?"

Daitetsu: "Hm. Set course for Izu... half speed."
Tetsuya: "Aye-aye. Half speed ahead!"

-----

Back at the Far East Base...

Sakae: "Commander Laker, the Kurogane will be arriving shortly."
Laker: "Hah... welcoming the flagship of a former enemy into our own base. It's a strange feeling."
Sakae: "Yes, it is."
Kai: "It feels like an age since the Hagane first left here."

Laker: "Hm. I wish General Norman were here to witness their return."
Kai: "....."
Laker: "The sacrifices of the fallen must not go to waste. Daitetsu and the others risked their lives to secure the future... and now, we must protect it."

-----

Irm: "Hmm... same old Far East Base hangar. Well, it's good to be back."
Ryoto: "It sure is."

Jonathan: "Irm."
Irm: "Dad. Kept my promise. Here I am, safe and sound."
Jonathan: "Of course you did, you're my boy. Well done."
Irm: "So, uh... my address book is safe now, right?"

Ring: "What's this about an address book, Irm?"
Irm: "R-Ring!? Wh-what are you doing here?"

Yuan: "Rio!"
Rio: "Dad!"
Ryoto: (So... that's Rio's father...)

Irm: "Wh-what's going on!? I thought you'd still be on the moon..."
Ring: "Yuan insisted. Once the operation was finished, we came here straight away."
Irm: (Ugh... save me from doting parents...)

Yuan: "Rio! Thank goodness you're safe!"
Rio: "D-Dad, hey! N... not in front of Ryoto and Ms. Ring! You're embarrassing me!"

Yuan: "Ryoto?"
Ryoto: "Y-yes... Ryoto Hikawa. Pleased to meet you... uh, Father?"
Yuan: "F-Father? N-no... don't tell me you and my little girl are---"
Jonathan: "They do grow up fast, Director."
Yuan: "Jonathan? N-no, I mean that's not the---"
Jonathan: "And Robert tells me he's a talented engineer. He's quite a catch, really... for your company, I mean."

Yuan: "Really? ...Wait, why are you bringing that up, Professor!?"
Ryoto: "Thank you for considering me, Father."

Rio: "Hey, Ryoto. Are you sure you don't want to visit your home, while we're here?"
Ryoto: "Yeah... my father and sister would just kick up a fuss about taking over the dojo again."
Rio: "...Dojo?"
Ryoto: "Huh? Oh, right... we have a karate dojo..."
Rio: "And... are you good at it?"
Ryoto: "I... I'm all right..."

Rio: "....."
Ryoto: "Wh... what's wrong?"
Rio: "Why. Didn't. You. Tell. Me. This?"
Ryoto: "It just never came up..."

Rio: "Ryoto! When we get to the moon, I want a match!"
Ryoto: "S-so, you know martial arts too, huh..."
Rio: "No! But I'm not gonna lose to you! We're having a match, first thing!"
Ryoto: (That's why I didn't want to tell you...)

Irm: (This looks like a good time.)
Ring: "And just where are you sneaking off to?"

Irm: "I, uh... I just remembered I had someplace to be."
Ring: "I thought had an excuse to tell me."
Irm: "I thought you didn't want to hear it..."

Ring: "I changed my mind."
Irm: "Oh?"
Ring: "You said you had an explanation for cheating on me. I'll hear you out."
Irm: "Th-that's really not the face you wear when you want to hear somebody out..."

Ring: "Or were you lying to me, back on the moon?"
Irm: "...No, I'll be ever so happy to accept this chance to be heard out."
Ring: "Good. We have plenty of time."
Jonathan: (Ah, those two. Well, I'm sure they'll be fine.)

-----

In the cafeteria, Giado and Garnet discuss Ryoto's upcoming departure with Radha. Mao Industries has been looking for help with designing their next mass-production unit, and Ryoto seems to fit the bill.

Garnet: "Reeeallly... I guess that's what they call marrying into money, huh?"
Giado: "Tell me about it."
Garnet: "I'm a little envious. Compared to him, I just get..."
Giado: "What the hell, woman!? I spent six months' salary on that ring!"
Garnet: "I'm joking, I'm joking! You're more important to me than money or rings, you know that..."

Radha: "Is that true? Are you two..."
Giado: "Yeah, well..."
Garnet: "Yep, we sure are."
Radha: "Congratulations, both of you! When's the wedding?"
Giado: "We figured we'd wait 'til things settled down first. Everyone's gonna be invited, though."

Radha: "Oh, I can't wait. And... what will Latooni be doing?"
Giado: "We were gonna adopt her, but she told us she wants to stay in the army."
Garnet: "She and Major Kai are going to investigate the School, and see if they can track down her fellow classmates."
Radha: "I see..."

Garnet: "But, Giado... even if she's gone, she's still our family... right?"
Giado: "Yeah, of course. Whatever happens... she's our little girl."

-----

The ATX team will be returning to Langley. The base was destroyed early in the DC war, but with the conflict now in the past the Federation intends to rebuild it as soon as possible. Excellen comments that it'll be like going home again.

Marion will be returning as well, and naturally expects that Kyosuke will continue to assist her in the ATX project. Worried, Rishu asks her if she's heard about the decision from the brass. This causes her to fall silent, prompting Ryusei to ask what they're talking about. Robert explains: the SRX and ATX projects are both being frozen, by the order of Federation command.

This stuns both Ryusei and Kyosuke, and Robert elaborates. Neither project was popular among the brass, who viewed them as money wasted on toys for a handful of engineers and pilots. Furthermore, most of the Federation's mechanized troops were lost during Operation SRW. As a result, the priority is now to replenish their mass-produced units as quickly as possible. It's not entirely bad news, though; in recognition of their achievements (or at least, being unable to deny them), the existing ATX units will escape being mothballed. Unfortunately, development on the Grungust Type-3 and Huckebein Mk. III was not so lucky.

Marion: "I'm not going to let such petty concerns get in my way. There are so many designs still to be built. Enhancements to the Gespenst Mk. III - or, the Alteisen... then the Wildwurger, the Wildfalken..."
Robert: (...Aren't the Wild series Kirk's designs?)
Rishu: (Heh heh... it seems they've worked something out.)
Excellen: "What about my Weissy, Doctor Radom?"

Marion: "And not just PTs. Other models as well..."
Excellen: "Helloooo? Nothing for poor lil' Weissy? Aww..."
Rishu: "All right, Marion. Don't get caught up in your delusions."
Marion: "Delusions!? I beg your pardon!"
Robert: (I can't believe you're serious, Doctor. But, then again, we should be thinking about the future...)

Masaki and Lune come in, preparing to say their own goodbyes. Masaki will be resuming his pursuit of Shu; there's no sign yet, but he'll catch up to him sooner or later, without a doubt. He waves off Excellen's offer of help, saying that they've done enough fighting already, for the moment - but if trouble comes again, he'll be back as fast as he's able.

Lune isn't going to be sticking around either. She'd hardly fit in with the Federation military, and with the Earth still struggling to rebuild after the DC war, it's difficult to feel welcome there. Perhaps she'll go back to Jupiter, or at least to the moon.

Ryusei: "Man, our team's just breaking apart into little pieces, isn't it?"
Lune: "Hey now, don't talk like that. It's not like we'll never see each other again. And like he said, if anything happens, I'll be back."
Excellen: "At our door within 30 minutes, right?"
Kyosuke: "They're not a pizza delivery service."

Masaki: "It's gonna be weird not hearing your comedy routine, that's for sure."
Excellen: "More like a husband-and-wife sitcom. Right, Masa?"
Masaki: "Sure, I guess."

Kyosuke: "...What comedy routine?"

Kyosuke Nanbu, folks. That's just how he is.

Kusuha comes by with Bullet to tell Kyosuke that they'll be ready to leave, just as soon as he and Excellen get their things loaded. This is the first Ryusei has heard that Kusuha is heading to America as well. She won't be at Langley, though; instead, at Professor Kazahara's suggestion, she'll be going to the Tesla Reich Institute to help Master Rishu with collating Grungust data.

Kusuha: "I do want to come back to Japan eventually... but I've made up my mind. I want to do what I can to keep humanity safe."
Ryusei: "I get you... let's both do our part."

Excellen: "Good news for you, Bullet! It's a lot easier to carry on a long-distance romance with the Institute than with Japan."
Bullet: "W-well, uh..."

One last mockery of Bullet for the road.

With that, it's time for everybody to part ways (with the obligatory warning to the cats that they'd better make sure Masaki doesn't get lost, and the resultant heckling). Kyosuke tells Ryusei that the defense of the Far East Base is up to him now, and they leave.

-----

In the Far East briefing room, Aya and Latooni notice how quiet it's suddenly become, now that everybody's gone. Aya asks if Latooni's sure about her decision to stay with the military, but she doesn't have any regrets about her decision. She wants to look for the other School children. Ouka, Arado, and Seolla must be alive - she's sure of it.

Ryusei comes in, and Aya has some news for him. While they're repairing the R-Series, they've been given special permission to go on leave; in other words, he should go home and visit his mother. This surprises him, given that the last time he saw her she was under guard in the hospital, but apparently Gilliam and Viletta have pulled some strings to get her released, while still getting her access to the care she needs. As Aya says, it's the least the government can do to atone for Yukiko's time at the Institute.

Latooni tells him not to worry about leaving - she'll get a start on the repairs while he's gone. Having received all the permission he needs, he's happy to accept.

-----

Shine has dragged Joyce to a graveyard in Kyoto, acting on a premonition that Rai will be there. He's worried about missing the Federation conference. She has no such concerns, having confirmed the timetable with Brian Midcrid beforehand; furthermore, they're supposed to arrive two hours late for security reasons. Joyce falls silent, thinking that she's becoming adept at organization.

Sure enough, Rai is there, but stays composed despite his surprise at seeing the princess. She wants to thank him for all he's done; she wanted to thank everybody, actually, but didn't have time before everyone departed. Rai says that everybody has their own concerns to go back to, now that their mission has been accomplished.

Shine: "Sir Raidiese... is someone buried here? Somebody you know?"
Rai: "...Cattleya Fujiwara Branstein. My sister-in-law."

Shine: "Fujiwara?"
Rai: "She was Japanese."
Shine: "Then, the F for your middle initial..."
Rai: "Yes. When I turned my back on the Branstein family, I borrowed her name. I wanted to be sure that somebody would remember her properly... Although, it turned out there was no need."

Shine: "...Oh? Sir Raidiese, there are flowers here."
Rai: "...These are cattleyas."

(Heh. Elzam...)

-----

:eng101: There's one notable difference between the original GBA script and the remade version. During the scene where Ryusei says goodbye to Masaki, Lune, and the ATX team, Kusuha isn't present. At one point Excellen starts to say that she had a message for him, but Kyosuke tells her they have to leave and she doesn't get the chance.

In fact, Kusuha doesn't appear in person in the original ending at all. Instead, at the beginning of this next scene, he finds a letter from her in which she explains that he screwed up and got the Forever Alone ending she's going to Langley with the ATX crew - not to help out with her mech, but as a nurse, because "I think I'm a better nurse than I am a pilot." She writes that she's decided to walk her own path, apologizing for worrying him and saying that she hopes he'll be well.

Literally at the very end this happens, blatantly jammed in at the beginning of the last scene of the game. I seriously wonder if the game was an hour away from going gold and the developers realized they'd flat-out forgotten to include her.

:sigh:

Anyway, that didn't happen here. Where were we?

-----

In the Fujisawa District...

(It's been a long time since I was in this house...)

Yukiko: "Ryu, you're back!"
Ryusei: "Yeah. Just like I promised."

Yukiko: "...Welcome home."
Ryusei: "Yeah... I'm home, Mom."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Septuagint is mostly just there to provide some extra hints about what's really going on with Ze Balmery Empire, except all of them were already covered by the "absolutely no one in the invasion fleet was an actual Balmerian" revelation. Well, and slip in a plot saving throw for OG2 It's mostly just better to pretend the game ended with Levi, except for that great music override.

The OG2 secret boss suffers from being from the most boring villain faction in the game. The stage on the GBA version is actually pretty cool in concept, it's just that the villains are dull.

EDIT:

Seyser Koze posted:

(It's still not clear whether the aliens we contacted in Antarctica actually were the Balmar. There's not just one other civilization in the galaxy... on the contrary, a vast array of worlds beyond imagining. Like... a laboratory flask. But as to what, exactly, is being studied...)

Ah, Gilliam. Can't wait for him in OG2.

And the whole Elpis/Cattleya stuff is the most awkward retconning to cover up a romanization mistake I've ever seen. Couldn't just switch the F for a V back in Alpha, that would be easy :allears:

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 26, 2015

• Locked thread