Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still like a lot of the characters. I just wish the games treated those characters I like better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Honestly, I don't think the problem is that people are mad because there are less female protagonists in SRW games these days, granted that is true and I would like more female protagonists as well. The real problem is that none of the female 'leads' in recent titles have any type of agency in the story, and they either exist as plot devices and/or a damsel in distress for the male protagonist to protect. However it's even more apparent in the handheld titles such as L, UX and now BX, or the Esther case from Z2.2. The female characters just aren't interesting and or compelling to the story, and are reduced to anime waifu for the bland protagonist to save. Said bland protagonist is made a 'good' character, in the sense that he is 'righteous' and 'super-nice' so that the audience can treat the protagonist as a self-insert. And then the female lead is reduced to a pair of tits and rear end for some strange weirdo to do stuff.

And I guess, that's why people are mad. Make your characters interesting Banpresto, but don't confuse interesting for a rehashed plot device, or do them a disservice by destroying their character... don't be disrespectful to your character and make them a human being who we can relate to, and just a list of tropes to check off. It's okay for ladies to have huge tits so long as that lady is a well-developed character who we can grow to respect and remember for being a character maybe look up to her even.

Those are my two cents on the matter.

I'll end this post by thanking Seyzer Koze for being a wonderful person for translating Original Generations and for giving us an analysis on Ingram, which blew my loving mind. And also for translating OG2 which looks really hard. Thanks for everything man, keep up the great work.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd say the best way to go would be to have separate posts for the opening and ending. Splitting into scenes is optional, but having everything together is kind of a mess, at least separate them when the gameplay starts.

I'm going back to this. I'd say it's less disruptive to open the post for a scene, read it to the end, and close it again than to switch back and forth between two posts every time it says "okay, stop reading and switch back to the other one."

Especially when we start getting lengthy scenes in mid-mission, which will start happening pretty soon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

GodofDiscord posted:

Honestly, I don't think the problem is that people are mad because there are less female protagonists in SRW games these days, granted that is true and I would like more female protagonists as well. The real problem is that none of the female 'leads' in recent titles have any type of agency in the story, and they either exist as plot devices and/or a damsel in distress for the male protagonist to protect. However it's even more apparent in the handheld titles such as L, UX and now BX, or the Esther case from Z2.2. The female characters just aren't interesting and or compelling to the story, and are reduced to anime waifu for the bland protagonist to save. Said bland protagonist is made a 'good' character, in the sense that he is 'righteous' and 'super-nice' so that the audience can treat the protagonist as a self-insert. And then the female lead is reduced to a pair of tits and rear end for some strange weirdo to do stuff.

And I guess, that's why people are mad. Make your characters interesting Banpresto, but don't confuse interesting for a rehashed plot device, or do them a disservice by destroying their character... don't be disrespectful to your character and make them a human being who we can relate to, and just a list of tropes to check off. It's okay for ladies to have huge tits so long as that lady is a well-developed character who we can grow to respect and remember for being a character maybe look up to her even.

Those are my two cents on the matter.

I'll end this post by thanking Seyzer Koze for being a wonderful person for translating Original Generations and for giving us an analysis on Ingram, which blew my loving mind. And also for translating OG2 which looks really hard. Thanks for everything man, keep up the great work.

Welcome to anime writing 101.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Welcome to anime writing 101.

:cheeky: Yeah, I know that anime is usually like this.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
It's also a distinct Thing that BX is liable to be a huge sausagefest. Let's see there's a handful of Dunbine people (tbf Marvel's kinda cool and that evil queen lady is just :allears:), someone I don't know from Galient, the Nadesico girls, whoever it is from Macross 30, and...I think there were a few that managed to escape AGE treating them like poo poo? Oh and the girls in girl-bots from the Mazingers as much as that's worth. And that's like IT even considering the enemy side. Sorrow.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Gyra_Solune posted:

It's also a distinct Thing that BX is liable to be a huge sausagefest. Let's see there's a handful of Dunbine people (tbf Marvel's kinda cool and that evil queen lady is just :allears:), someone I don't know from Galient, the Nadesico girls, whoever it is from Macross 30, and...I think there were a few that managed to escape AGE treating them like poo poo? Oh and the girls in girl-bots from the Mazingers as much as that's worth. And that's like IT even considering the enemy side. Sorrow.

You forgot Klan.

But other than that you're right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ashram posted:

Wow, second stage and Axel is already acting like a horrible person. And he is supposed to be the good guy in his universe I think

From what little I know. No Axel is a bad dude. I think it was this game Or Gaiden that decided to make him less of a horrible person and he is still a pretty horrible person from what little I know.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 13, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

From what little I know. No Axel is a bad dude. I think it was this game that decided to make him less of a horrible person.

He noted "in his universe" which is true. Axel has a v. bad home universe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

He noted "in his universe" which is true. Axel has a v. bad home universe.

Thought he was talking about Advance which he were he debuted.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 3

The intermission screen is so lonely now. :(

Intro

quote:

A squad of Fed pilots is trying to figure out what to do about Tesla - they hear that the Feds' Beowulves are coming, which freaks them out even more than the unknown enemies. Axel runs into them on the way back, meaning he has to eliminate them.

We have three turns to eliminate the Feds for the battle mastery. Yes, we're playing as Axel.

And that means we get to use the Soulgain, which has a built-in 10% energy regen and 30% HP regen. :stare:

Axel himself has a full suite of skills; a commander aura, Prevail, Insight, Guard, Revenge, and one support attack per turn. Not that Axel has any friends to support. For spirits he has Strike and Grit.

The Soulgain dodges pretty well for a Super (given that Axel doesn't have Focus yet), but it is basically Martial Arts Bot, so maybe that should be expected. His first attack is Genbu's Orb.

Also, Dark Knight is one of the better pilot themes.

Delightful. As you can see, we are once again in no danger of dying. Even if all four Gespensts hit us in a single turn, we'd probably regen all the damage at the beginning of the next.

That being said, we are actually at a slight risk of missing the mastery, since Axel may not necessarily kill the Gespies in one hit. The terrain is actually rough enough to cut down your movement, so if you're careless you could end up just missing it.

Then again, I'm mostly messing around because the Soulgain has two other attacks to show off. Its strongest attack (at least for the moment) is Byakko's Fang.

That would be the one Fiona took for Raul on the last mission.

And to finish things off, an attack we heard about last mission but didn't get to watch: Kamehameha Shinku Hadouken Seiryu's Scale.

Kaboom.

:toot:

The Federation troops are eliminated, though Axel worries that it's only a matter of time until more arrive. W16 contacts him; the main force has reached Tesla, and Vindel will be departing shortly. In response to her request, Axel says that he'll be a little late, but he's on his way back.

Closing

quote:

Axel gets back to Tesla and speaks with Lemon Browning. Lemon speculates about whether she will be on the other side. They talk a bit about the Numbers who were sent through first; Axel has a pessimistic outlook about the whole thing after what happened with the First Jumper.

Suddenly Axel tells Lemon that she'll have to go on ahead without him. A moment later we see the arrival of the Beowulves, a squadron of Federation Gespensts led by a blue mech: the Gespenst Mk. III. Lemon remarks on Beowulf's obsession with following them; Axel attributes this to fate, set in motion after the two of them served together.

Whatever happened then, there's something very clearly wrong with him now. Beowulf babbles incoherently about destruction and creation. Either way, Axel has a score to settle with him now - after which he'll detonate the Lykeios device to prevent anyone from following them through. Lemon warns him not to be late before jumping.

Yelling that it's time to finish things, Axel rushes the enemy leader - Kyosuke Nanbu.

Strike a pose, SRX team!

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 13, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Honestly I kind of preferred how, in the original, it was perfectly plausible to think that "Beowulf" was just Kyosuke and that Axel was just a biased rear end in a top hat. In light of everything else about Axel in OG2, it seemed like Occam's Razor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Einander posted:

Honestly I kind of preferred how, in the original, it was perfectly plausible to think that "Beowulf" was just Kyosuke and that Axel was just a biased rear end in a top hat. In light of everything else about Axel in OG2, it seemed like Occam's Razor.

It's in all honesty a retcon.

While OG1 went through the remake mostly unchanged plot wise, OG2 gets quite a few retcons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Pepper posted:

It's in all honesty a retcon.

While OG1 went through the remake mostly unchanged plot wise, OG2 gets quite a few retcons.

Like trying to make Axel come across as a slightly better person.

Apparently it was due to fan reaction.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, Axel's a good guy or something? That's weird, his look still screams that he's a villain and after last map he's pretty clearly a shady. I'm guessing he'll be a major opponent for whoever the actual protagonists of this game turns out to be, especially since he seems to be working with Excellen's mum (or just another family member I suppose) and there's no chance she's on the up and up.

Also, I can't believe they're actually doing something with Kyosuke. He was kind of static all throughout OG1 and now he's been brainwashed I guess, these games really seem to love the brainwashing. But at least Kyosuke's character appears to be moving in a direction, if he really is going to be as major a part of OG2 as people have been saying I was hoping he'd get some more things to him other than being stoic and rather lucky. That'd be enough for most characters but for someone who's apparently the main character for the first 2 OGs it'd be kind of boring.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
So if that's what happened to Beowulf in this universe, do we find out Lucifer's fate in this game?

Axel was originally one of the protagonists of Advance, hence his heroic theme song.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A huge chunk of OG2 is retconned. It's kinda important to note because these retcons carry over to all further sequels so certain events that happen in OG2 GBA are overwritten.

Also as far as Axel goes, his story is kinda complex and I'm not sure how much of it qualifies as spoilers. He was one of the protagonists of Super Robot Wars Advance but there he begins with amnesia and develops a personality based off hanging out with either the Dragonar Team or the Super Robot Army. Axel here is pretty different.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, I can't believe they're actually doing something with Kyosuke. He was kind of static all throughout OG1 and now he's been brainwashed I guess, these games really seem to love the brainwashing. But at least Kyosuke's character appears to be moving in a direction, if he really is going to be as major a part of OG2 as people have been saying I was hoping he'd get some more things to him other than being stoic and rather lucky. That'd be enough for most characters but for someone who's apparently the main character for the first 2 OGs it'd be kind of boring.
The actual explanation for what's up with Kyosuke is....not all that great. Mostly because it ties into the mess that is OG's adaptation of SRW Impact's plot, as Seyser mentioned.

The other reason it's not all that great has nothing to do with the game. It's how the explanation is given, or rather, the format it's given in: an audio drama CD released after this game came out.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh, Axel's a good guy or something? That's weird, his look still screams that he's a villain and after last map he's pretty clearly a shady.

Axel is one of the two selectable protagonists of Super Robot wars A. The way the game went, the protagonist you didn't pick was on the opposing side. We don't meet the other A protagonist for a couple more stages.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
This would be a good time to remind everybody to err on the side of caution when it comes to spoilers.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I was going to say something, but yes, I think it is best to wait for a bit.

Was Lemon's last name the same in A/A Portable? Was it even mentioned? It's been so long since I played it that I cannot remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HiKaizer posted:

Was Lemon's last name the same in A/A Portable? Was it even mentioned? It's been so long since I played it that I cannot remember.

Yes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wounded Land posted:

So if that's what happened to Beowulf in this universe, do we find out Lucifer's fate in this game?

Axel was originally one of the protagonists of Advance, hence his heroic theme song.

Called Dark Knight.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Interesting. I won't comment any more on that for now then!

Edit: I love how DARK KNIGHT doesn't really sound dark at all.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Seyser Koze posted:

This would be a good time to remind everybody to err on the side of caution when it comes to spoilers.

Would posting the opening scene of The Inspectors be fine? Because that's a drat good fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Axel may be a dick, but he's an entertaining one. Also, his theme song alone jsutifies his existence. Dark Knight! :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

Would posting the opening scene of The Inspectors be fine? Because that's a drat good fight.

I'm almost positive it would be major spoilers. It shows some real specific things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 13, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I like Beowulf. I kind of like Axel. I think the story behind them both is neat. Beowulf's Mark III is amazing. And The Inspectors opening is fantastic, but probably gives away a bit much.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Funny way of spelling ROCKET SOULPUNCH

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From looking through his history I have more or less figured out the truth about Axel.

Throughout the games he has had 5 Personalities a different one in each game he shows up in.

Also it appears that all of his attacks are named after the 4 sacred Beasts. Genbu, Byakkyo, Seiryu and Suzaku. (Though he has not used his Suzaku attack yet.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 13, 2015

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

GilliamYaeger posted:

If the urge is overwhelming, post it in the general thread.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

GilliamYaeger posted:

You forgot Klan.

But other than that you're right.

Will we even get Klan? This is probably about the time where they'd go and trim down the Frontier crew depending on how involved it is, and Klan's only just ahead of Canaria in terms of being put on the chopping block.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, originally in the GBA version of this game, it's a hell of a lot less obvious that Beowulf has something wrong with him... mostly because A. He never talks and B. They ran pretty hard with Axel being an irredeamable poo poo. Here, he's obviously loving crazy so at least there's speculation abount. I would also like the time to mention Super Robot Wars OG2: Version A. Which is a fan hack (all in japanese) that makes a very key change to the plot of OG2, that is a certain character swaps roles with Axel who takes on his SRW Advanced personality to fit in like with that game.

It's a pretty fun hack since it changes other things, such as starting mecha and pilot stats, but obviously you can't read any of the plot changes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

They ran pretty hard with Axel being an irredeamable poo poo.

Axel is still an evil poo poo here just not nearly as bad as he was in OG2.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Not gonna lie, I never really got the love for Dark Knight.

Anyway, to get an idea of how much OGs changed OG2's plot, I have a friend who actually went straight from OG2 to 2nd OGs. Like every two chapters he kept messaging me to ask what the hell was going on. :v:

It's been mentioned before, but the naming scheme on the OG games is completely hosed. 2nd OGs is technically OG4!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Axel is still an evil poo poo here just not nearly as bad as he was in OG2.

I feel they downgraded his evil from 'overconfident, cocky villain' to 'that one jerk uncle that keeps showing up at reunions and he's kinda cool sometimes but then he says something racist or gets into a fight with one of your friends.'

So, you know, improvement.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Not gonna lie, I never really got the love for Dark Knight.

Anyway, to get an idea of how much OGs changed OG2's plot, I have a friend who actually went straight from OG2 to 2nd OGs. Like every two chapters he kept messaging me to ask what the hell was going on. :v:

It's been mentioned before, but the naming scheme on the OG games is completely hosed. 2nd OGs is technically OG4!

I never did either, but such is life.

And what did they expect, skipping OGG too?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think he figured OG Gaiden would be about as important as Alpha Gaiden was?

Or it was just that it never came out in english and he didn't really start playing SRW again until recently.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I mean OGG is a bit more important than Alpha Gaiden since, you know, what happened for the majority of the game was actually canonical to the rest of the storyline going forward!

even if looking at 2nd OGS "ohman i'm going to cut the coolest and most memorable character entirely and reduce another two to a doofy support machine" wouldn't lead you to believe that

rip folka, you were a true hero to your country ;.;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Ah...so much to talk about after this mission, and all of it would be gigantic spoilers. Such is the nature of OG2, I guess.

And to those that go into this LP knowing nothing about the story: If you liked "batshit-insane" Kyosuke, wait till you meet the rest of this world's versions of the ATX team.

Also, if the Soulgain is a basic Martial Arts Mecha, does that make the Ialdabaoth an advanced one?

Ashram fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 13, 2015

• Locked thread