Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You use Ibis because her theme is cool.

Really, isn't that why you use anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Introducing Archibald Grims. He is a creep.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ibis was a lot more notable in Alpha 2 where she was basically Magikarp. In OG2 she's just kind of :geno: even with later gains. Don't know how OGs changes it up, if it does.

Also, it's a little weird that they call a space program Terrestrial Dream, but I suppose they didn't want to go with Project ED. :flaccid:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

BlitzBlast posted:

If I remember right, Ibis in OG2 is practically Leaf in Fire Emblem 5; her final mech is just the mediocre thing she starts Alpha 2 in.

Personally I never bothered to use Ibis because why bother with a character who ramps up when I have a dozen other already great units? v:shobon:v

Hilarious pilot outfit, though.

It's not. She finishes in a mech that is two upgrades away from what she starts @2 in.

Anyway, you use Ibis because she's cool and SRW is not actually hard. No, not even OG2.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So it might have been mentioned earlier, but OGs incorporates a couple of cosmetic updates here and there from Divine Wars. Mostly in the form of pilot outfits, such as Kyosuke and Excellen's (they never wore them in Impact or the GBA games) and the Project TD people who had a brief cameo where they worked with Tenzan on the Lion in episode 4. Interestingly, Irm also had one in Divine Wars (the standard Federation suit with blue coloring instead of green), and showed up an early trailer for OGs, but ultimately got dropped for the final release because what sick monster would forbid that mullet from flying freely? Oh right, the Divine Wars staff who came up with the pilot suit in the first place.

Neo_Crimson posted:

And now I'm going to hear Filio's dialogue on Otakon's voice. :v:
Hilariously enough, Otakon is in OGs as Gilliam's VA. Sadly, there are no Metal Gear Solid jokes in his save skits. :smith:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Introducing some of OG's better female characters: Lamia and Ibis. The OG plot doesn't love them as much as their original games did though, but we'll get there in time.

You know how the Angelg is a magical girl super robot and no one bats an eye about it? Yeah, that's never getting explained and OG Mecha will only get more ridiculous down the line. If you liked how relatively down to Earth OG1 was technology wise, sans a magic robot from another world and a combiner made using psychic alien tech, don't expect that to be a thing again!

Also Ibis is neat in OG2 because she's one of the few pilots with unique units who can still wield equippable weapons. Way too many units in OG2 have fixed equipment you can't change at all.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

You know how the Angelg is a magical girl super robot and no one bats an eye about it? Yeah, that's never getting explained and OG Mecha will only get more ridiculous down the line. If you liked how relatively down to Earth OG1 was technology wise, sans a magic robot from another world and a combiner made using psychic alien tech, don't expect that to be a thing again!

They've seen the Valsione. Angelg is just step up in size, and does not have a face.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Repster posted:

They've seen the Valsione. Angelg is just step up in size, and does not have a face.

They were trying to make a feminine-ish unit Ryusei wouldn't want to hump. We'll see if they succeeded when he gets his first look at it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SorataYuy posted:

They were trying to make a feminine-ish unit Ryusei wouldn't want to hump. We'll see if they succeeded when he gets his first look at it.

Not nearly enough Armor.
The AngelG is distressingly fragile for a super.

Also poo poo Mobility but that's what Afterimage is for.....when it decides to kick in.
And then drains you of your EN leaving you phoenix-less.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

It's like they never met Ryusei.

I want to see @3 translated just to see his reaction to that Fei-yen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GimmickMan posted:

Introducing some of OG's better female characters: Lamia and Ibis. The OG plot doesn't love them as much as their original games did though, but we'll get there in time.

Also Ibis is neat in OG2 because she's one of the few pilots with unique units who can still wield equippable weapons. Way too many units in OG2 have fixed equipment you can't change at all.

After you've met the magical mecha from the Inner Earth that can access the Akashic Records and comes with two magical cat familiars that can talk, you kind of learn to jsut go with it.

What I'm saying is that Masaki is Sailor Moon.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not nearly enough Armor.
The AngelG is distressingly fragile for a super.

Also poo poo Mobility but that's what Afterimage is for.....when it decides to kick in.
And then drains you of your EN leaving you phoenix-less.

Double Image doesn't drain EN though :confused:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MarsDragon posted:

Double Image doesn't drain EN though :confused:

Didn't it do so in the GBA games?
....hm.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

....hm.

Nope, I just just checked.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

SorataYuy posted:

Have you LOOKED at Angelg in it's non-chibied form? You don't give a bot those baps with that intention in mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

It's like they never met Ryusei.

I want to see @3 translated just to see his reaction to that Fei-yen.

His reaction was basically a loud squeal of delight IIRC.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

....hm.
After Image/most similar abilities like it have never drained EN as far as I can remember. You might be thinking of the Straybird from SRW L and its unique Imaginary Road ability, which does drain 5 EN per use and is generally an exception for this class of mech abilties.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I guess Ibis is Noriko if Gunbuster had actually been done as a TV series... running over the course of several years... Where the first half of episode 1 was an entire season...
And Filio seems like an untrustworthy character in almost the exact opposite way Ingram was.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wounded Land posted:

And Filio seems like an untrustworthy character in almost the exact opposite way Ingram was.

A walking disaster waiting to happen that has no control over anything, as opposed to someone who obviously knows exactly what is going on and is blatantly manipulating everyone he comes in contact with?

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Something like that, yeah. Something about his design says "luckless and lacking in willpower," which is born out by the way he sorta lets Isurugi walk all over him.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SorataYuy posted:

Ryu wanted to hump the SRX. As long as it has good specs our protagonist is gonna squee over it.

And, yeah, in an universe with the Valsione, the SRX and Cybuster (not mentioning enemy commanders' mechs) the Angelg is not really worthy more than noticing that it doesn't match the declared builder's usual style.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

Something like that, yeah. Something about his design says "luckless and lacking in willpower," which is born out by the way he sorta lets Isurugi walk all over him.
You have to understand where Filio is coming from in this case. He's an ex-Divine Crusaders supporter and one of the chief designers who helped make the Lion series happen. In a post-war environment like we have here, there is not a whole lot of supporters for Filio to find and fund what is essentially a dream project (probably why it's named Terrestrial Dream in the first place) of one of the DC's chief designers, even though he's peacefully surrendered and more or less got off scot-free given what the DC did. The fact that Mitsuko Isurugi even listened to Filio in the first place is amazing enough, considering she's picking up the pieces of her father's mess of co-conspiring to sell Earth out to aliens. Plus, because of Karl's meddling, Mao Industries is slowly rolling out new prototypes/resuming full production while Isurugi has plenty of well-tested units ready to roll out for sale and use unimpeded, making Mitsuko a very powerful figure right now. So, you have Filio's dilemma: he is limited in the people he can turn to, and the one person who did listen to him happens to be the strong-willed CEO of one of the big mech producers in the Earth Sphere. Filio can't risk pissing off the only source of Project TD's funding and resources by exploding into anger or frustration over her goading or comments about armaments. Thus, he has to act like a wuss and take Mitsuko's verbal abuse in order to get what he needs to get Project TD off the ground.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

You have to understand where Filio is coming from in this case. He's an ex-Divine Crusaders supporter and one of the chief designers who helped make the Lion series happen. In a post-war environment like we have here, there is not a whole lot of supporters for Filio to find and fund what is essentially a dream project (probably why it's named Terrestrial Dream in the first place) of one of the DC's chief designers, even though he's peacefully surrendered and more or less got off scot-free given what the DC did. The fact that Mitsuko Isurugi even listened to Filio in the first place is amazing enough, considering she's picking up the pieces of her father's mess of co-conspiring to sell Earth out to aliens. Plus, because of Karl's meddling, Mao Industries is slowly rolling out new prototypes/resuming full production while Isurugi has plenty of well-tested units ready to roll out for sale and use unimpeded, making Mitsuko a very powerful figure right now. So, you have Filio's dilemma: he is limited in the people he can turn to, and the one person who did listen to him happens to be the strong-willed CEO of one of the big mech producers in the Earth Sphere. Filio can't risk pissing off the only source of Project TD's funding and resources by exploding into anger or frustration over her goading or comments about armaments. Thus, he has to act like a wuss and take Mitsuko's verbal abuse in order to get what he needs to get Project TD off the ground.

All of that makes sense... but the same time he's the guy responsible for Barrelions so gently caress him.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alacron posted:

but the same time he's the guy responsible for Barrelions so gently caress him.

I almost feel like this deserves an empty quote.

BARRELIONS. :argh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Alacron posted:

All of that makes sense... but the same time he's the guy responsible for Barrelions so gently caress him.

So you're saying he's made the most reliable and enduring weapon design in the current era.

Truly he's a genius.

May Barrelions never die

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, considering that the EFA is trying to switch out Lions after six months, creating something as reliable as the Barrelion deserves some high praise. SRW's tech curve is kind of hosed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

He's one of the guys responsible. Filio's just the one person who hasn't been severely punished yet. We killed off two of the people who most likely approved of the final design (Bian and Adler) already, so...maybe Filio's punishment is to endure something even more severe. Like being doomed to have to personally remove Ryusei from Angleg with nothing but his bare hands.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Mass-produced manned space exploration vehicles? I suppose they wouldn't need the giant combat support infrastructure of a carrier.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Glazius posted:

Huh. Mass-produced manned space exploration vehicles? I suppose they wouldn't need the giant combat support infrastructure of a carrier.

There's a separate exploration module to attach to the Calion supposedly, but for the prospect of making a mobile weapon that's unneccisary. Essentially they're going to make a Macross 7

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 8

We picked up a Screw Module. We're not actually looking at water yet, but we will be soon enough, so I throw it on Bullet's Huckebein, since the Alt can handle itself underwater while the Weiss and Angelg can both fly.

:sparkles:

Scene

quote:

Archibald observes the DCs' new leader, Colonel Van Vat Tran, as he welcomes new troops. Van would like to bring Elzam Branstein back into the fold, but Archibald is certain that the major will not join so long as he is serving. Following this, Van will be proceeding to the Earth Cradle for negotiations with some unspecified allies, while Archibald will draw the attention of the Federation's forces. Archibald has reservations about the Cradle, given that it's suddenly become active again after Sophia Nate sealed it.

Archibald receives a transmission from "Rose," or as he puts it, another request for treasure from the young lady. As it happens, his reservations about the Earth Cradle are shared by Yuuki Jaggar, one of Archibald's two direct subordinates, but Archibald tells him merely to trust in his orders. Yuuki's self-proclaimed partner Carla Borgnine has much more serious reservations about Archibald himself, who she suspects is dangerous (and who says he likes assam tea because the color reminds him of blood). Yuuki has been trying to get Carla to leave the DCs, but she remains out of loyalty towards him for saving her life. He doesn't believe this, assuming that she must really be in it for revenge (like him, one presumes).

The Shirogane engages Archibald's forces, and as the pilots suit up Bullet fumes over the idiocy of humanity fighting among themselves again, leaving Earth vulnerable to attack should the Aerogaters return. Lamia has never heard of the Aerogaters before and asks about them; when she realizes that she's made a mistake, she weakly covers by saying she doesn't watch television and thus missed all the news coverage of President Midcrid's public address on the alien threat. Privately she thinks that the aliens in her data use different names.

Battle begins, and Kyosuke and Excellen are surprised to see unfamiliar fighters and tanks among the enemy forces - models Lamia recognzes, though she doesn't say so aloud. Bullet shocks everybody by opening a channel to the DCs, demanding an explanation for why they're starting another conflict. Yuuki responds that the Hagane's crew got lucky during the L5 campaign, and that the casualties caused by the Federation's sluggish response to the alien threat prove that they're not up to the task of defending the Earth sphere. When Bullet tries to argue for the lives that will be sacrificed, Yuuki says that their sacrifices have already been made.

Objectives. Kill everything, knock the Rhinoceros below 70% health within four turns for the mastery.

The time limit is worth keeping in mind, as we've got a nice barrier of mountains between us and them, except for a little path going through the middle. Archibald is in the Rhinoceros, while Carla and Yuuki are both piloting Guarlion Customs with a little over 16k health apiece. In addition we've got a couple Lions, a couple Landlions, a couple Barrels...

...and a couple of new enemies. One is the Sorpresa fighter, which I guess isn't really new since Raul and Fiona had to fight a couple back in Mission 4. Trying to use Focus will probably still lead to a couple annoying misses, so you'll want to have Bullet or Lamia use Strike if possible.

They also have quite a bit of health, for fighters. Lamia and Excellen have weak post-movement attacks, so you're also looking at a couple hits to kill them.

Meanwhile, the Fylgia tank lacks the Sorpresa's maneuverability, but has quite a long range - long enough to outrange everybody except Excellen, actually, and the mountains ensure that not even Kyosuke (the only one with Accelerate) will be able to close the distance on the first turn.

By the time Turn 2 begins, we've barely made a dent in the enemy forces. We'll need to step things up a notch.

Discounting the bosses, the Barrelions have the most health, so weakening them is Kyosuke's priority.

Lee takes out a weakened Sorpresa, while Bullet clears out the other one in passing. Neither Lamia nor Excellen manage to kill anything on Turn 2, either; again, they're both pretty weak on the move. We're going to be heavily reliant on counterattacks this mission.

That works out all right. One Barrel, a Lion, both Landlions, and a Fylgia go down on the enemy phase, and almost everybody else gets heavily weakened. Most of the Fylgias pull through just fine thanks to the mountains they're parked on.

The bosses also get the chance to start shooting at us, from out of range. :argh: I figure it's safer to have the Alt block than dodge.

Yuuki: "Now, ATX team... show me what you can do."
Kyosuke: "Look all you want. It won't help you."

That's not bad.

Carla goes for Lamia, and against my better judgement I have her fire back.

Carla: "What's with this one... it's sort of... robotic? Or something..."
Lamia: (...She's not the one.)

:sigh:

The Angelg's After-Image keeps Lamia safe, though.

Archibald doesn't do anything, because that would be helping you get the mastery.

Turn 3 rolls around. We have Fylgias to kill, but we also need to make sure we're giving sufficient time to the bosses. And get the secret.

Oh, did I mention the secret? Because there is one, with approximately eleventy-billion steps.

Bullet: "What did you mean when you said you already sacrificed?"
Yuuki: "No need to tell you... all you need is to realize your own helplessness!"

Secret Mechs
Step 1: Have Bullet fight Yuuki on Mission 8

Let's have Excellen back him up.

Excellen: "Hey there, handsome. Why don't you leave poor Bullet alone for a while and play with me instead?"
Yuuki: (What's with this woman...!?)

That pushes Yuuki over his retreat threshold.

Yuuki: "I guess you live up to the rumors after all, ATX team..."
Archibald: "Yuuki, the next phase will begin shortly."
Yuuki: "Roger. I'm falling back to the target point."

We'll send Carla to follow him next. Rampage Ghost should chase her off in one hit. I need to shoot Carla down at some point in the game for another secret, but none of our people have Support Attack yet, so at this point it's more trouble than it's worth.

Carla: "Oh, crap... Is this the command unit!?"
Kyosuke: "Judging by your movements, you're still green. But I'm not holding back for you..."

With support attacks taking her out would've been no problem, but not this time.

Carla: "Th-they're strong...!"
Archibald: "Carla, we need to go to the target area. Start falling back now."
Carla: "Y-yessir!"

Secret Mechs
Step 1: Have Bullet fight Yuuki on Mission 8
Step 2: Force Yuuki and Carla to retreat on Mission 8

At this point the Fylgias and one remaining Lion are easily disposed of.

Oh, Archie starts attacking us now too.

Archibald: "Hmhmm... we meet again, Lt. Nanbu."
Kyosuke: "...!"
Archibald: "I did warn you that we'd be seeing quite a bit of each other."

This puts him almost-but-not-quite at his retreat threshold. A hit from pretty much anybody should get us the mastery, and we have all of Turn 4 to do it.

Lamia: "Weaker resistance than expec-ected... is it you?"
Archibald: "Hmhmm... we'll have to wait just a little longer."

:toot:

It looks like it's time for whatever Archibald's planning; he orders the Rhinoceros' autopilot engaged, then launches with his men. At first Lee thinks it's a last-ditch attempt, but...

"All units, engage your boost drives. As for you... have a pleasant evening, gentlemen."

Kyosuke: "He's abandoned the ship?"
Lee: "drat him! Pursue, now!"
Lamia: "Wait, that's---"

The Rhinoceros is moving on its own, rushing the Shirogane on an apparent suicide course.

Lee orders a full barrage, destroying the enemy carrier just in time...

...But thanks to the distraction, our actual foes have already fled. They are still on satellite, and Lee orders the team back to the ship; we have more hunting to do.

Closing

quote:

Archibald meets with Dr. Cuervo Cero from the Earth Cradle. Archibald needles him a bit over the Cradle's questionable history with the DCs before they discuss what Cuervo has brought them - supplies, an ASRS, and two specially-trained pilots from the Cradle. Archibald announces that their next destination will be Hawaii - he's heard that a new Mao Industries mech is being tested there.

Lee receives a dressing-down from Kenneth for his failure to wipe out the DCs, the role played by his own faulty intelligence notwithstanding. Lee makes a defense of himself, which doesn't seem to impress Kenneth much. The general tells him to continue pursuing the DC remnants - and that the Hagane is being dispatched from the Far East base to join in the hunt. Kenneth warns Lee not to tarnish his image next to Laker's, promising political consequences should he fail. Privately Lee seethes at Kenneths' corruption, but thinks that the man has nothing to worry about - he won't lose to a ship that has Tetsuya Onodera serving on it.

Lamia asks Bullet about his outburst during the battle, and Bullet again says he just can't handle the idea that humanity is fighting again. Kyosuke unexpectedly speaks up on Yuuki's behalf, saying that the Federation undeniably has weaknesses - but that they can make a difference in spite of that. Lee comes to inform them that they'll be going to Hawaii; with the new Mao prototype being tested there, it's a likely next target for their enemies. Lamia thinks this will be a valuable opportunity to examine the new equipment - but she still needs her new orders...

Nearly everybody had combat dialogue on this mission, so here's what we missed...

quote:

Yuuki: "Precise motions... but easy to predict."
Lamia: (That's not the contact...)

quote:

Carla: "Hey, nice moves! My dancer sense is tingling!"
Excellen: "Oh, hey. Somebody's cheerful today."

quote:

Bullet: "Aliens could still be watching the Earth! You're fighting the wrong enemy!"
Carla: "What are you talking about? If you'd done your job right, we wouldn't have to be here!"
Bullet: "...!!"

quote:

Archibald: "It seems we're both linked by fate."
Excellen: "Umm... can I ask for a better partner?"

quote:

Bullet: "There's no point to this battle! Pull back your people!"
Archibald: "Because you asked? That doesn't interest me, I'm afraid."

quote:

Lee: "That ship won't escape! We'll sink it here!"
Archibald: "Ah, quite the determined young captain. This will work in our favor."

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 26, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Colonel Van's pretty cool. I always thought his name was vaguely Vietnamese, desptie his appearance.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Colonal Van is quite possibly the worst judge of character in the entire series and that's saying something.

Also I'm sad that no one on our side has the sense to remind Yuuki that the DC sure as gently caress wasn't charging the White Star oh and also our people beat them before the Aerogators even arrived. In a bunch of grunt mechs. But someone's got to stick up for Neo-Zeon, I suppose...too bad it makes one of the last Alpha protagonists look like a moron in the process.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MarsDragon posted:

Colonal Van is quite possibly the worst judge of character in the entire series and that's saying something.

Also I'm sad that no one on our side has the sense to remind Yuuki that the DC sure as gently caress wasn't charging the White Star oh and also our people beat them before the Aerogators even arrived. In a bunch of grunt mechs. But someone's got to stick up for Neo-Zeon, I suppose...too bad it makes one of the last Alpha protagonists look like a moron in the process.

The Neo-DC are just a bunch of shits. Along with accusing the protagonists of being unable to save the earth (After not doing anything, AND disregarding the will of Bian himself) any claim of having the moral high ground goes out the window when you see who they choose to align themselves with, jerking off and justifying it the entire time. gently caress the Neo-DC. Not just for being a bunch of salty dicks about being failures, but for saying they champion a guys ideals while going against the spirit of what that guy wanted.

And Yuuki is an absolute poo poo head.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Yuuki's opinion doesn't stem from a place that's pants-on-head retarded though, it makes more sense if you see it from a more bitter soldier angle. Our heroes won the day in the end, but a lot of civilian areas got absolutely ruined in the process (because the Aerogators didn't want to potentially harm their harvesting crop for fighters so they left military bases mostly unscratched). The DC mobilised to deal with a threat when the Federation wouldn't and were instead looking to surrender, lost mostly because their command structure got decapitated (not everyone was privy to Bian's really loving stupid idea) and then the Federation had a series of bungles that cost a lot of civilian lives before they won in an absolute last-ditch attack.

He like many in the DC probably feels that if Bian and his Divine Crusaders had been allowed to lead Earth's defense there wouldn't have been so much gone wrong before the end. It's hubris, but it's not like he can't point to a lot of times when the Federation did not protect Earth's civilian population when the Aerogators finally stepped up their game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yuuki's opinion doesn't stem from a place that's pants-on-head retarded though, it makes more sense if you see it from a more bitter soldier angle. Our heroes won the day in the end, but a lot of civilian areas got absolutely ruined in the process (because the Aerogators didn't want to potentially harm their harvesting crop for fighters so they left military bases mostly unscratched). The DC mobilised to deal with a threat when the Federation wouldn't and were instead looking to surrender, lost mostly because their command structure got decapitated (not everyone was privy to Bian's really loving stupid idea) and then the Federation had a series of bungles that cost a lot of civilian lives before they won in an absolute last-ditch attack.

He like many in the DC probably feels that if Bian and his Divine Crusaders had been allowed to lead Earth's defense there wouldn't have been so much gone wrong before the end. It's hubris, but it's not like he can't point to a lot of times when the Federation did not protect Earth's civilian population when the Aerogators finally stepped up their game.

And that's all very well good to say, except the DC didn't participate in the attack on the White Star, in fact, they didn't try to fight the Aerogaters at all! The line of logic cracks either way "You can't do it, you just got lucky" "Well we beat you, so you'd have to get double-lucky" "We are better suited to defend the earth from aliens" "You mean that thing you didn't do at all? Even when the aliens showed up?" It may be Yuuki being a bitter bitch over not getting a chance to play space-hero and thinking "I could have done better" but nobody ever calls him out on simply being bitter.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Onmi posted:

And that's all very well good to say, except the DC didn't participate in the attack on the White Star, in fact, they didn't try to fight the Aerogaters at all! The line of logic cracks either way "You can't do it, you just got lucky" "Well we beat you, so you'd have to get double-lucky" "We are better suited to defend the earth from aliens" "You mean that thing you didn't do at all? Even when the aliens showed up?" It may be Yuuki being a bitter bitch over not getting a chance to play space-hero and thinking "I could have done better" but nobody ever calls him out on simply being bitter.

Honestly "That's all very good to say" cuts both ways. Yeah sure you won, after your higher ups nearly sold out the Earth twice and also failed to protect vast swathes of the civilian population, not to mention at least one attack on a civilian population working extremely well because one of the leaders of your expensive gaudy giant robot programs betrayed everyone. Then when that settles down of course the first thing you do is install a winner like Kenneth in charge of North America yes I have 100% faith in how this is going to progress.

Plus this whole "They didn't do anything" claim works on the assumption that Yuuki was sitting on his rear end with his thumb firmly wedged up in it during all that was going on. Which is not true. His very history with Carla acts to invalidate that.

I like to see the good guys get props as much as anyone else but even right now Captain Lee is pointing out how there's a big rot setting in within the Federation with guys like Kenneth getting to run things in the military where they trade favours in and endless attempt to save face and raise personal standing. Yuuki's stance does not come from a cold hard retarded vacuum. We know we can root for the good guys and that they'll get all the necessary stat-ups etc to win the video game, but Yuuki's got plenty of foundation to build his (misguided) ideas upon.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Yeah but he's kind of working under Archibald Grims, which invalidates literally everything he has to say about the Federation being rotten.

Yuuki's got a point about the Federation being corrupt, because fundamentally SRW is very tied to the Gundam setting, but the DC is just as bad if not worse. See: Adler and Seibel. Yeah, Bian and Maier were okay...besides that completely stupid plan they had that they just kind of didn't feel like telling anyone but Elzam and Sanger about. Everyone else in OG1 was pretty much out-and-out evil. And add to that the player doesn't really see any civilians getting hurt because the game engine doesn't support it, and it's hard to take Yuuki seriously. "Okay, so Kenneth is corrupt...but you're rallying behind the organization that had a guy who literally brainwashed children into becoming child soldiers as the second-in-command and right now you're working under a guy who drinks tea because it reminds him of blood."

The DC just doesn't show, at any point, that it would be better suited to defend the Earth. It's mostly demonstrated the opposite. Meanwhile the Federation stumbled a lot...but they won.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Actually, that's a question; does the world at large know the basics of Grims' background? I always kinda assumed it did, but that doesn't gel with mostly upstanding people willingly working with him.

(Obviously his actual background hasn't been revealed to the player yet so we don't want to talk about it, but I don't remember it being some big shocking reveal in-context when they do.)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who enjoys making GBS threads all over Yuuki. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I know that there are quite a few people that like Archibald, but I absolutly loath the fucker. He hits all the notes for the worst kind of villian:

He is so over-the-top evil that it goes right over "enjoyable" back to "horrible"
Everyone does what he says even if he admits to enjoy watching them die.
And he always, ALWAYS pulls a loving retreat plan out of his rear end that works for some reason.

Basicly he is the Joker without anything that makes the Joker fun.

• Locked thread