Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The captain's hat looks like it is too big for Lee when he's right next to Daitetsu, whom it fits like a glove. If it is intentional, that's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
As promised, here's the first of my series of visual aids so that you can all follow what's going on.

I wasn't sold on the idea at first, but I'm pretty sure this adequately explains everything.

Hopefully it doesn't get much more complicated. I'm running out of space.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

All im seeing is "white star was an inside job" and "MAPWs cant melt Steel Souls."

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 14, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"MAPWs cant melt Steel Souls."

I wish this was the thread title now.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

GimmickMan posted:

The captain's hat looks like it is too big for Lee when he's right next to Daitetsu, whom it fits like a glove. If it is intentional, that's pretty neat.

Although to be honest, Lefina's hat looks like it's trying to eat her too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

"TEA" and "BLOOD" made me giggle.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
God, did it always take so long for them to name the MYSTERIOUS faction? Not having their group name to call them by is getting annoying.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

+1 to this as the thread title.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

That chart is the best thing ever and I hope we see how complicated it gets as the game goes on :allears:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CmdrKing posted:

God, did it always take so long for them to name the MYSTERIOUS faction? Not having their group name to call them by is getting annoying.

Remember, we're technically only on Mission 5. They haven't even put in a real appearance yet, outside of the intro.

And then we'll have a while before they're actually identified properly. :haw:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

As promised, here's the first of my series of visual aids so that you can all follow what's going on.

I wasn't sold on the idea at first, but I'm pretty sure this adequately explains everything.

But Axel's not on this chart.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Also throwing in my vote for this as the new thread title.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AweStriker posted:

But Axel's not on this chart.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

There's a critical error with that picture: You need to have BEOWULF! covering the space around the image.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Another vote for a new thread title.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

This is amazing. :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Seyser Koze posted:

You forgot Kai of the great house GESPENST.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

You forgot Kai of the great house GESPENST.

A mustache big enough to do Kai justice would have obscured the entire chart.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Seyser Koze posted:

A mustache big enough to do Kai justice would have obscured the entire chart.

Just make him the background of the chart.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Just make him the background of the chart.

With a big speech balloon. "BEOWULF!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god we've still got Rampage Ghost? How is anything supposed to stand up to that?

I suppose it does mean bringing our best units together instead of splitting them up to cover more ground.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
OG2 is a lot higher-powered than OG1. A lot.

Also, as usual, your enemies all have much higher HP totals than they logically should and retreat as soon as their paint is scratched.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

MarsDragon posted:

OG2 is a lot higher-powered than OG1. A lot.

Also, as usual, your enemies all have much higher HP totals than they logically should and retreat as soon as their paint is scratched.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that like, the default level 1 hp of the big baddie's battleship is at least thirty-something thousand. I don't think even the most insane system-gaming would allow you to defeat any of the bosses that the game doesn't want you to defeat.

I mean Yuuki and Carla are the default miniboss flunkies for a large portion of the early game and one of the SECRETS in the game is 'actually beat them at some point'.

Also I am adding my vote for the new thread title as well because that's just perfect, we didn't even get to the part where the thread title achieves maximum relevancy and it's still just perfect

(we might also be past the part where MAPWs are a thing? i don't remember if neo DC is as fond of them as the OGs, I think they replaced all of those with impossibly tanky battleships)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Gyra_Solune posted:

(we might also be past the part where MAPWs are a thing? i don't remember if neo DC is as fond of them as the OGs, I think they replaced all of those with impossibly tanky battleships)

The Neo-DC spent all their vespene gas money on Barrelions. :v:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 11

Spoiler: None of these people will do anything this mission.

Intro

quote:

Archibald's sub is approaching Izu, with the Hagane in pursuit. Echidna has finished tuning the Randgrith units, and has a request for Archibald: help her infiltrate the Far East Base. After a moment, he agrees.

To select pilots for the Randgriths, Yuuki has everybody doing turns in the simulator. Arado is grossly underperforming, which gets him chewed out by Seolla for not living up to everyone's expectations. Doctors Cero and Setme, and the "Magus" computer, have drilled it into them both that they must revive the Divine Crusaders and carry out Bian Zoldark's dream, as the Federation can't be counted on to protect the Earth. Seolla has taken this to heart; Arado rather less so, which is a source of friction between them.

In the Fujisawa District, Ryusei's mom sees him off to the base, asking him to bring his friends home one day so that she can thank them for taking care of him. The R-Blade prototype has arrived today, so he'll be testing it out and collecting data. Meanwhile, Aya is going to be away for the time being, as she's been called to her father's lab to assist. During the pre-test briefing Ryusei catches up with Irm, who delivered the prototype; things turn somber when Viletta enters and tells them about the theft of the Wildfalken, along with a warning that the thieves may be headed to Japan next.

Sure enough, after the first phase of the test is complete, DC forces arrive, having once again slipped past the base's lines of defense without detection. Seolla, Carla, and Yuuki are piloting the Randgriths, which immediately gets Viletta wondering where this new mech came from. Meanwhile, Arado is piloting a basic Lion, and Yuuki sternly tells him to stay behind and guard their retreat. He protests that he has to stay with Seolla, but she insists that she can cover things for both of them.

Mission 11: Someone to Protect

And with the mission beginning properly, we have our real objectives: knock Seolla's health below 30%, or bring Yuuki or Carla down below 70. The battle mastery gives us two options: either take out all the grunts, or shoot down Carla, Yuuki, or Seolla. We'll be doing both.

For enemies we have a bunch of Lions and Sorpresas, Arado in a Lion...

...And Yuuki, Carla, and Seolla in the new Randgrith. It's pretty hefty (and Carla and Yuuki's have twice as much health as Seolla's here) and comes with a Beam Coat and the Jammer, which gives a passive 50% chance of nullifying enemy missiles.

Now that we have Viletta we finally have somebody who can cast Scan, so let's check Seolla out. She has both support skills, Guard, and a morale bonus when damaged.

Speaking of Viletta, she'll be doing most of the work on this stage while Irm and Ryusei watch. Or she will, once she stops getting outranged by Seolla. The Randgrith has a ridiculous attack range. Thankfully, the base gives lots of cover.

:eng101: Viletta's Wildschwein was another generic MP Huckebein in the original.

Seolla: "I have to do Arado's part too!"
Viletta: (It must have been built on Earth... did the DCs design this?)

"You're the ones trying to use Latooni... you'll pay for that!"

I like the Randgrith's mechanical design. More Battletech-ish than most of the robots you face.

Sorpresas actually pull significantly better hitrates than Seolla does. Still not dangerous, though.

It won't take too long before Viletta does enough morale on a non-crit to one-shot them, as well.

And the Lions are worst of all.

With the abundance of defensive terrain Viletta is in no real danger here, so she sets about tearing the enemies into bits (ignoring Seolla for the time being).

The last thing you will ever see.

By the end of the second turn most of the enemies are dead.

Seolla actually ignores Viletta and keeps heading towards Irm and Ryusei; farther back, Carla and Yuuki start their advance as well. Way, waaaaaay in the back, Arado is a good little boy and doesn't move at all.

Viletta proceeds to finish shredding the enemy grunts.

:toot:

Secret Weapon (complete)
Mission 11: Have Viletta destroy all enemy grunts herself

We won't see what that's about for a while yet, but we'll be very glad we did when it happens.

On the other front, Seolla goes after Irm, who is actually still hurting from his fight with Ryusei because I was dumb and didn't move him to a base.

Seolla: "The Grungust Type-1... I can't afford to be careless!"
Irm: "Don't see many new land-based machines these days. Let's have ourselves a look..."

This can actually be pretty dangerous, since if Irm's not defending, Seolla can kill him in three hits. And there happen to be two more Randgriths right behind her.

So to finish things off quick, Ryusei gives her a whack with the R-Blade...

And then Irm finishes her off.

Seolla's in a bad state; Irm moves to take her Randgrith down. Carla and Yuuki rush to support her, but they're not going to make it...

Arado: "Seolla! Seolla needs help!"

:ssj:

Carla: "Arado!?"
Arado: "Boost Drive, ENGAGE!"

Ryusei: "Wh-what the!? He's fast!"
Robert: (That acceleration... is that a Boost Drive!?)

"Let's have us a look at this mech!"

Arado: "I've got to cover Seolla!"

Yuuki watches this development carefully. Whatever's come over Arado now, his performance is leaps and bounds beyond what he showed in the simulator.

Seolla: "A-Arado! You came to help me!?"
Arado: "Of freaking course I did! C'mon, get out of here!"
Seolla: "But, your mech---"
Arado: "I'm fine! I'll be right behind you!"

Yuuki: "Arado's right. Seolla, get back to Whale 2. We can't risk the enemy capturing a Randgrith."
Seolla: "B-but---"
Arado: "It'll be fine, just go already!"

Seolla: "I... o-okay. But you have to come back! You understand? Promise me, Arado!"

Seolla withdraws; Irm is impressed with the new enemy's guts, but now it's time to fight again - which could be bad news for Arado, although he yells that he can't leave Seolla all alone at a time like this. Yuuki decides they've done enough and orders Whale 2 to prepare for their withdrawal.

A Killer Whale surfaces, and the DC units withdraw. Immediately a missile barrage begins.

Ryusei is on it, but more - too many more - are following.

Thankfully, the Hagane is on the scene to shoot them down.

Before it can turn its fire to the enemy sub, it engages its ASRS and retreats.

Closing

quote:

Laker, Sakae, Daitetsu, and Tetsuya discuss this latest in the rash of hit-and-run DC attacks - a marked departure from their strategy during the previous war. The Hagane has just returned from investigating Aidoneus Island, and there's no indication that the DCs have tried to reclaim their old base. That would leave their other stronghold at the Earth Cradle. Sophia Nate made her opposition to the DCs quite clear, but her subordinates were also DC sympathizers, and it's possible that one of them betrayed Dr. Nate and reopened the Cradle from within after she sealed it.

There was another discovery off the coast of Aidoneus: a piece of the "White Death Cross," the core of the White Star. It appears to be not only functional, but regenerating. Laker orders it sent to Dr. Kobayashi's lab, while Daitetsu worries about what the DCs could do if they got their hands on any of the Aerogater wreckage.

The Hagane's crew reunites with the Far East Base crew and much fun and mockery of Bullet is had. Latooni is still thinking about having to fight her friends; noticing her expression, Ryusei offers a few words of encouragement that cheer her up a bit. This immediately gets Excellen pestering them both about the progress of their relationship that Ryusei isn't aware they have.

Viletta joins the group and tells Ryusei and Irm that they'll be reassigned to the Hagane to hunt the DCs who attacked today, effective immediately. She asks about the Angelg, which leads to exactly the reaction we were all expecting from Ryusei. Excellen is about to introduce everyone to Lamia, but then realizes that she's not there...

...because she's elsewhere on the base, secretly meeting with W16 (Echidna). After the lack of communication, Echidna's come with a mission disk for W17 (Lamia), since Lemon was getting worried about her. Evidently the Angelg's encoded transmitter is damaged. Lamia asks if Echidna knows what's on the disk, and is surprised when Echidna says she was only ordered to deliver it. Lamia's surprise surprises Echidna, and she quickly stops asking about it, thinking that Echidna's right after all - their job is to follow orders.

Back at the submarine, Seolla is somewhere between hugging Arado to death and choking him to death over his daring rescue/reckless maneuver during the mission. She thanks him for saving her, but then warns him not to try anything similar in the future, because he won't get lucky again. Watching this, Carla observes that Seolla was in tears right up until Arado returned to the ship, then rapidly turned around. Yuuki noticed the same thing, and it worries him; as fragile as the two of them are, sending them into combat is dangerous...

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
We're getting the gang back together. But god dammit, I forgot how stupid Ryusei got over the AngelG. Of course he would.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
About the L-Schneide vs R-Schneide, it probably is supposed to be R, just a German R. Which does sound a bit like "elu" when you process it through Japanese first.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think it is worth pointing out: getting this mission's secret is a gigantic pain in the rear end in the GBA version, and you better be ready to save-scum for it, simply because the MP Huckebein is terrible. Giving Viletta the Wildschwein makes it far easier, and it is a great change.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You know, it makes a lot more sense when Seolla is saying that the federation doesn't have what it takes to save the day, because she comes off as a kid making excuses to justify their current situation. But with Yuuki it seems more like we're supposed to find him reasonable and think his points to make sense. Which is a lot more annoying.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm imagining the end goal version of the Randgrith features a shoulder mounted barrelion.

It does look pretty sweet though.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Also the R-Blade was one of my favorite early-game things, largely because of general light dodginess and a strong melee finisher that doesn't need any Will. It's a great unit to just push out to the front line on the first turns and soften up the enemy.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

Also the R-Blade was one of my favorite early-game things, largely because of general light dodginess and a strong melee finisher that doesn't need any Will. It's a great unit to just push out to the front line on the first turns and soften up the enemy.

it's great in the original too, because the Blade Tonfa has the chain property so you can just rip right through a line of enemies.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hunter Noventa posted:

it's great in the original too, because the Blade Tonfa has the chain property so you can just rip right through a line of enemies.

Chaining was such a cool mechanic. I'm playing W now and I love using it. Too bad it's so rare.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I tend to put Katina in it as soon as possible, and never take her out of it again. She was made for it and it for her. :allears:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Hunter Noventa posted:

The best part is that SRX's Blade Kick is also a chain attack, so it's absolutely worth it to max out Ryusei's chain attack skill in the early game.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Now THAT's the Arado I know!

And ugh, I hate the Ryusei/Latooni relationship so much. It gives me all the creeps and then some.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A teenage girl interested in a teenage boy gives you the creeps?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You know, it makes a lot more sense when Seolla is saying that the federation doesn't have what it takes to save the day, because she comes off as a kid making excuses to justify their current situation. But with Yuuki it seems more like we're supposed to find him reasonable and think his points to make sense. Which is a lot more annoying.

Seolla's even got a decent point with her "two ships can't protect the Earth alone" spiel. She's wrong because this is a video game, but it's pretty reasonable point in theory. Yuuki has "you got lucky!", which just sounds like him being a sore loser, and "your bosses are dicks!", which well....he's right, but look who he's working for. It's like the game wants us to take him seriously, but also wants the DC to keep being the obvious villains, so it ends up making Yuuki look like a moron without the excuse of being a brainwashed child soldier like Seolla.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wounded Land posted:

And ugh, I hate the Ryusei/Latooni relationship so much. It gives me all the creeps and then some.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryusei and Latooni are pretty close in age, the general gap in art style just does't do much for it.

The SRW OG timeline doesn't help as they have like nine major wars over the course of like five years but the characters barely change in art styles.

• Locked thread