Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KataraniSword posted:

I think all of them except Sanger's custom mechs are based on the more traditional flight-joysticks-and-levers mecha cockpit to some degree?

Sanger, on the other hand, uses some mocap G Gundam poo poo because of course he does.

WELLLLL Not yet.
Everything that isn't a lion I think is standard anime mech dual stick with loads of toggles and button in the cockpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

WELLLLL Not yet.
Everything that isn't a lion I think is standard anime mech dual stick with loads of toggles and button in the cockpit.
Valsione uses a mocap-esque pilot seat instead of a traditional pilot seat. And the R-3's cockpit has Aya standing straight up instead of sitting down.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The R-3 uses the same control scheme, though, it's just that the cockpit is cramped enough they couldn't fit in a seat. I think the canonical explanation for it is that they had to put so much T-Link bullshit in the R-3 they literally couldn't figure out how to also get a full-size cockpit in there. ("make the frame bigger" didn't occur to anyone, apparently)

Cybuster does use some weird magic control scheme that involves cats.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For some reason I always like it when Tasuka gets to be cool :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarsDragon posted:

The R-3 uses the same control scheme, though, it's just that the cockpit is cramped enough they couldn't fit in a seat. I think the canonical explanation for it is that they had to put so much T-Link bullshit in the R-3 they literally couldn't figure out how to also get a full-size cockpit in there. ("make the frame bigger" didn't occur to anyone, apparently)

Well, when you're in a combining robot you have to be aware of how everything combines unless you're in a world that literally runs off the hopes and dreams of the writers (hi Getta Robo); chances are they could've modified the frame OR they could've let it stay as part of the SRX. They chose the option with the bigger sword.

AradoBalanga posted:

Valsione uses a mocap-esque pilot seat instead of a traditional pilot seat.

Oh, right, I forgot that the mech actually consistently mirrors the pilot's expressions in that circumstance. :catstare:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

KataraniSword posted:

Well, when you're in a combining robot you have to be aware of how everything combines unless you're in a world that literally runs off the hopes and dreams of the writers (hi Getta Robo); chances are they could've modified the frame OR they could've let it stay as part of the SRX. They chose the option with the bigger sword.

Yeah, but making the R-3 a bit broader so Aya can sit down properly just makes the SRX's crotch a bit bigger. I'd see your point if it was the R-1 or R-2, but the R-3's head jams into the SRX's waist and then transforms to be the SRX's entire lower half.

It is something they fix in the next version, at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My theory is that some guys at Banpresto are pervs and design cockpits to show off the women's boobs.

Aya's cut-ins are hilariously over-the-top.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ain't nothing wrong with loving boobs. :colbert:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Boobs are great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I prefer cool women.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I prefer cool women.

... I'm trying to make a Villeta joke because her theme is "Woman the Cool spy" but it's 3:30 AM and I don't know a way to parse it to be clever.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

... I'm trying to make a Villeta joke because her theme is "Woman the Cool spy" but it's 3:30 AM and I don't know a way to parse it to be clever.

Woman the Cool Pai.

I'll show myself out.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 16

We're now more or less on track again with the original game. The game's also taken the liberty of taking our pilots away from us and giving us the Hiryu crew.

Intro

quote:

Kai suggests that Ryusei and Bullet try to befriend Arado and learn his intentions if possible. Rai is skeptical, raising the possibility that he's a spy. Unexpectedly Lamia speaks up on Arado's behalf, surprising herself. Kai says that he'd like for Arado to be able to choose his own path if possible, despite his history.

The Hiryu Kai arrives in the L2 sector to investigate the disappearances. Lefina orders Octo Squadron deployed, and in short order they're attacked by some unexpected units: Urchins, the unknown drones that appeared at Antarctica way back at the start of the DC War. Lefina asks Katina to capture one for analysis and destroy the rest.

Mission 16: A Mysterious Space

Objective: Destroy all the Garoika units except one, and bring that one below 5% health. Do it within two turns for the battle mastery.

For our opposition, we have the ten Garoika drones. We've encountered these exactly once before, way back in Mission 5 of the first game - back when the Federation was having a meeting with the aliens, only to have Shu attack their ship with the Granzon, kicking off the DC War in the process.

Anyway, we've got a short (but generous) time limit, so let's bring Leona up and handle things. The Guarlion's basic crap machine guns aren't quite powerful enough to kill a Garoika at neutral morale... but they're also not quite powerful enough to leave one below 5% of its 3700 health. :sigh:

Katina has no survivability and Tasuku has no ranged capacity, so I keep everybody else back for a bit. Leona's got it covered.

Interestingly, at near-neutral morale the Guarlion's railgun can't quite one-shot a Garoika either, even on a critical. On the other hand, this one is now well below the 5% threshold, so we can just leave it alive. This works out well, since otherwise we'd probably have to screw around having Sean cast Mercy to safely get an enemy's health into the target zone.

The next one in line takes just enough damage to kill it.

And then she wipes out the rest in short order.

Except for this one who Leona didn't crit. But Katina can wrap that up on the next turn.

Easy peasy.

:toot:

Scene

quote:

Tasuku retrieves the disabled enemy drone, but before the survey can continue, more enemies appear - and this time it's Federation units. At first they think it's the MIA troops, but then Russell notices the Garoikas among them. A brief debate ensues over whether this is the Aerogaters returned, although Tasuku thinks it's unlikely since there's been no trouble at the White Star. Meanwhile, Eun confirms that the enemies are the missing Fed units, but none of them are responding to communications. Again Lefina asks Katina to disable one of the enemy Huckebeins for study.

So, same story as before, but now we've got to leave one Huckebein alive with 10% health.

We're semi-surrounded by Rangzens and Garoikas, with the Huckebeins we're after a bit further away. Depending on your positioning, this could be a bit dangerous; with Katina where she is, the enemies will swarm and kill her on their turn and give us a game-over.

But since I moved her first, everybody else can back her up. Tasuku pops a Strike and commences punching; he'll draw most of their fire.

Just in case, Russell moves into position to defend Katina, and Leona heads over to distract the Huckebeins.

Meanwhile, Lefina fires away at the light units on the right to pick up a few kills.

On the enemy phase we see one of the ways that the Gan-Duro isn't necessarily a great upgrade.

Sure, it's still a tank and it now has a G-Territory to boot...

But its only ranged attacks are either Gigante Unghia, its finisher, and the Giga Wide Blaster. No more Sheath Thunder. So you either expend tons of energy or you punch everything from one space away. Annoying when you're just swatting down light fighters.

Also, there's something... different about these pilots.

The Garoikas will actually go past everyone to get at the Hiryu. If they're close enough to pilots after moving, they'll still fire on them...

...But Russell's not having that.

And the new GMs Nemos Jegans Leos Huckebeins continue to be garbage.

Anyway, assuming Katina or Russell don't get wrecked by the enemies immediately due to being out of position, there's no real threat here.

You can let Lefina grab easy kills to her heart's content.

And commence trashing the Huckebeins at your leisure.

Purely by coincidence Tasuku leaves a Huckebein at critical (I wasn't going to waste more energy on overkill shots, but Weapon Breaker didn't quiiiiite do enough damage to finish it). If this hadn't happened I'd need to bring up the Hiryu and have Sean use Mercy to be sure, but that's a minor inconvenience here.

And Katina Valor-punches for the finish.

The last remaining enemy has been secured; Lefina orders the crew to stay on general alert.

Closing

quote:

After the initial analysis, it's clear that these enemies were not Aerogaters. The pilots were "bioroids," a kind of artificial humanoid control unit. Sean has heard of some research along these lines done by the Divine Crusaders, but nothing on this scale.

Bullet and Ryusei make their first attempt to talk to Arado, discovering that he has essentially no connection to his past and no interest in any of the DCs' goals, beyond survival. They surprise him by suggesting that they'd like to let him decide for himself what to do now, and that they don't view him as an enemy. Arado thinks to himself that sticking with the Hagane might be the best way to get back to Seolla.

Brian Midcrid receives the report on the Hiryu from Laker, interrupting an inquiry into Mitsuko Isurugi's involvement in supplying the DC remnants. Graien Grassman, leader of the Federation's militaristic faction, believes the disappearances to be a clear sign that "Case E" is at hand, corroborated by Nibhal Mubhal. Under pressure from Graien, Brian agrees to mobilize the Federation forces in space, but also tells Nibhal to look into negotiations with "them" if possible. Meanwhile, Mitsuko takes the opportunity to cast suspicion on Mao Industries, thinking that a great business opportunity lies ahead.

At the SRX laboratory, Viletta identifies the object the Hagane retrieved as the core of the White Death Cross; it's emitting telekinetic pulses, leaving little room for doubt. Despite Aya's misgivings, Dr. Kobayashi proceeds with cutting the object open. The contents shock them all...

-----

Also, I guess it's about time that I started looking at these...

Eita: "Thanks for playing, everyone! This is Eita Nagata! I'm just a lowly bridge operator now, but if I keep this up, I'll be captain of my very own Space Noah vessel before long!"

Eita: "Huh? Captain of what ship? Hm, good point... well, I guess it'd be the Hagane..."

Daitetsu: "The Hagane's mine."
Eita: "Of... of course it is!"

Eita: "Then it'd be the Kurogane..."
Tetsuya: "I'm captain of the Kurogane. Well, I was, that one time..."

Eita: "Um... maybe the Shirogane?"
Lee: "A rookie like you? Try putting in about a million years of training first."

Eita: "Th-then... what is okay!?"
Tetsuya: "Hm... well, let's see..."

Daitetsu: "The Megane."
Tetsuya: "Oh!? Of course!"

Eita: "How... how many ships have a name like that!?"

:eng101: For those who don't know, "megane" is Japanese for "glasses."

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also, November's going to be a pretty crazy month for me at work, so I'm suspending the one-update-per-week minimum for the time being. Things will hopefully be back to normal after Thanksgiving, but until then updates will happen when they happen.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm liking the Octo-banter better here than in the GBA game. But I do miss Kai's speech about Bullet and Ryusei being in command themselves one day. A lot of the dialog is a bit fixed up.

Also I'm probably the only person who likes Graien, while he continues the theme of nobody giving the Steel Dragons the respect they deserve, he's the first politician we've run into who may be in it for himself, but is also in it to defend earth. He's sort of like Jamitov I guess? Except Jamitov is far worse than Graien ever was.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Interlude

Daitetsu gets the report that Arado wants to stay aboard the Hagane. Kai plans to let him out of detention on a probationary status before too long. Tetsuya has some reservations about bringing him along on Operation Mole Hunt, and Irm's been thinking along the same lines...

Excellen and Ryusei enter, in response to Daitetsu's summons. He informs them that they'll both be heading to the moon to pick up the R-1, along with the Wildwurger and the Huckebein Mk. III. Ryusei had heard that development was behind schedule, but apparently Command has been throwing its weight around to speed things up, since Mole Hunt is on the horizon. He's not sure a rush-job on a new mech is a good idea, especially with one of them being the Huckebein - but orders are orders.

The two of them will rendezvous with the Hiryu Kai in orbit before proceeding to Mao Industries.

Excellen: "Okay then! I'll just enjoy my trip to the moon with Ryusei! <3 Ooh, it feels like we're eloping!"
Ryusei: "I... I really don't want to get shot by the Alt..."
Irm: "Don't worry, nobody's expecting anything between you two."

:iceburn:

Kai has one additional instruction for them: bring Arado along for the journey. As a precaution, he wants a proper psychiatric evaluation, so Radha will take care of that while they're on the moon as well. Excellen and Ryusei both wince at the thought of Radha getting a new yoga victim.

That's the sum of their instructions for the time being; the two of them will be going to the moon with Arado in tow, and the Hagane will continue on its course to Ethiopia for Operation Mole Hunt.

And we've got our first route split, where people go their separate ways and you have half as many pilots to use and I have twice as much text to plow through. And of course Kyosuke and Excellen are going to different places, so no Rampage Ghost. One group goes to Ethiopia, the other goes to the moon:

Ethiopia (Hagane)
Kyosuke
Bullet
Lamia
Kai
Rai
Latooni
Irm

Moon (Hiryu Kai)
Excellen
Ryusei
Katina
Russell
Tasuku
Leona

I'll be doing both side by side, so no need for a vote here or anything.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am eagerly anticipating THAT mission.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

I am eagerly anticipating THAT mission.

THAT mission comes after the split.

Unless you're thinking of a different THAT mission than the THAT mission that I'm thinking of.

which is entirely possible because the next mission is a that mission because any mission with that pilot is a that mission and guess who's in the next mission

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Follow the Hiryu

It's the only chance you have of succeeding at THAT mission's secret.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Moon and the Hiryu because I love defying this game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Whichever path leads to better robots (and secrets)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whichever path leads to better robots (and secrets)

There are no route-exclusive secrets in the OG games (at least the second)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Uh, guys?

Seyser Koze posted:

I'll be doing both side by side, so no need for a vote here or anything.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011
Maybe they're just voting to see which update comes first?

Or we've just been so conditioned to vote on route splits, that it's second nature by now

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The war is never over.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alacron posted:

Uh, guys?

Hey If I see two options in bold Im voting for one.
Democracy in action

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Ethiopia is better for secrets since it gives you a little more room to get kills for Kai and Lamia. Mission 14 exists to give you an opportunity to equip and upgrade the Hiryu before the route split, which is very useful for THAT mission.

Also I always pick Earth over space anyday.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Moon Route is interesting because it is where a big reveal happens that was never advertised in the trailers for the original GBA game. It worked so well that Banpresto did it again for 2nd Original Generations with another reveal.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Ethiopia is better for secrets since it gives you a little more room to get kills for Kai and Lamia. Mission 14 exists to give you an opportunity to equip and upgrade the Hiryu before the route split, which is very useful for THAT mission.
Which is an improvement over the GBA game, where you had to take the Moon Route in order to prep for THAT mission. Otherwise, you'd be heading into it practically naked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Which is an improvement over the GBA game, where you had to take the Moon Route in order to prep for THAT mission. Otherwise, you'd be heading into it practically naked.

That's the only REAL way to do that mission. :colbert:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If That Mission refers to the White Star Secret Item trick, then it's trivial to do it naked as long as you're patient and remember that holding select after a soft-reset skips the title screen to quick-reload your save file.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I mean you don't HAVE to- pffft yeah who the gently caress am I kidding. If you don't do THAT mission, quit.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If I didn't already know what THAT mission was, this page would be getting incredibly annoying.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That's the only REAL way to do that mission. :colbert:
I prefer my dangly bits protected from giant robot parts/debris/weapons/etc., thank you very much.

Also, there's an Ethiopia Route mission involving Barrelions that I hate with a righteous fury, so I avoid it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Lord Ephraim posted:

Also I always pick Earth over space anyday.

Kai and Lamia's secrets are far enough out getting them enough kills is trivial no matter which route you take. The real value for Earth is extra time for Bullet's secret and honestly, it's not worth it unless you're trying to show off everything like Seyser is here.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Kai and Lamia's secrets are far enough out getting them enough kills is trivial no matter which route you take. The real value for Earth is extra time for Bullet's secret and honestly, it's not worth it unless you're trying to show off everything like Seyser is here.

Ah, so Bullet's secret shares some similarities with him?
....Maybe I have been playing too much Alpha 3...

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Hey, Bullet in Alpha 3 has a niche, he's the one with decent P attacks in a game with a turn limit and without Hit and Away. Gonna be interesting to see how that gets balanced in OG3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

Hey, Bullet in Alpha 3 has a niche, he's the one with decent P attacks in a game with a turn limit and without Hit and Away. Gonna be interesting to see how that gets balanced in OG3.

Bullet will be absurdly OP and have amazing ALL and P attacks. Kusuha will be given a literal pile of feces to pilot.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
And don't forget, both of them are likely going to have to compete against the Valzacard and its practically endless spirit bank. OPness is certain to be a thing, one way or another.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

There are plenty of Alpha units that enjoy the benefits of things like Hit & Away or in Ibis' case, B-Save. Holy poo poo, is that skill a welcome sight to have on her and her later units. I can only imagine how the Alpha 3 content will pan out down the line.

I say this and Banprieos will still have its post-move MAP and be as loving insane/valuable as it was in Alpha 3. And I will enjoy every minute of it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

There are plenty of Alpha units that enjoy the benefits of things like Hit & Away or in Ibis' case, B-Save. Holy poo poo, is that skill a welcome sight to have on her and her later units. I can only imagine how the Alpha 3 content will pan out down the line.

I say this and Banprieos will still have its post-move MAP and be as loving insane/valuable as it was in Alpha 3. And I will enjoy every minute of it. :getin:

Banpresto nerfing the robot literally named after them? No if anything it'll be even more insane than it used to be.

• Locked thread