Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

Huh, how's that combination going to work? Will you need to build up morale or something, or is it just available from the word go?

It's like SRX was, but with two units. So you send the Huck Mk. III and the AM Gunner into battle, park them next to each other, and you can combine into the Huckebein Gunner.

Unfortunately in this case the AM Gunner is a distinctly underwhelming unit and the H-Gunner sort of averages out their power instead of multiplying it. In the long run you're probably better off leaving Ryoto in the Mk. III and finding something else for Rio, or vice versa. If you use them, that is - we're nearing the point where we have to start benching people, and unlike the first game, we don't have the luxury of two routes to show everybody off.

Come to think of it, I should probably figure out what we're going to do for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Unfortunately in this case the AM Gunner is a distinctly underwhelming unit and the H-Gunner sort of averages out their power instead of multiplying it. In the long run you're probably better off leaving Ryoto in the Mk. III and finding something else for Rio, or vice versa. If you use them, that is - we're nearing the point where we have to start benching people, and unlike the first game, we don't have the luxury of two routes to show everybody off.

Come to think of it, I should probably figure out what we're going to do for that.
This is probably one good thing OGs does for this situation: give Rio more options to play around with that work with her play style. OG2 GBA gives her either lackluster options (such as the R-Blade) or stuff she has to wait a long time to be available for her to use. Here, she has access to things like the Wildraubiter and Wildschwein right now on top of the other things the GBA had. Personally, I wait for one unit to become available for her and toss Rio into that unit while keeping Ryoto in the Mk.III and rolling with it. But that's down the line a bit.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

AradoBalanga posted:

gives her either lackluster options (such as the R-Blade)

Putting anyone but Katina in the R-Blade unless the story demands it??? WITCH! BURN THE WITCH! :bahgawd:

But yeah, GBA OG2 got surprisingly short shrift for some of the units they gave us. And quite a few of the OG1 robots get outstripped so quickly, they're almost useless later even if fully upgraded (the Gespents are especially guilty of this one, with the Huckebein MK II and Grungust Type II having trouble keeping up, I noticed.)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SorataYuy posted:

Putting anyone but Katina in the R-Blade unless the story demands it??? WITCH! BURN THE WITCH! :bahgawd:
:ssh:By the time the R-Blade is free again, I have benched Katina and Russel for good.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AradoBalanga posted:

:ssh:By the time the R-Blade is free again, I have benched Katina and Russel for good.

Yeah, this isn't OG1. By the time you get to the end of the game you have a million billion useful pilots with custom units, combination attacks, relationship bonuses, and actual ability to contribute to the team. I think my OG2 cart is on Newgame++++ by this point and I never even needed to use the inaccurate pile of negative Will gains that is Katina. (Russel is pretty loving good tho)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, this isn't OG1. By the time you get to the end of the game you have a million billion useful pilots with custom units, combination attacks, relationship bonuses, and actual ability to contribute to the team. I think my OG2 cart is on Newgame++++ by this point and I never even needed to use the inaccurate pile of negative Will gains that is Katina. (Russel is pretty loving good tho)

Katina was my top ace in OG2 GBA. She's extremely powerful if you give her a mecha (Giganscudo) that meshes well with her. She's not going to match damage output with the combo attackers but nobody is.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Katina was my top ace in OG2 GBA. She's extremely powerful if you give her a mecha (Giganscudo) that meshes well with her. She's not going to match damage output with the combo attackers but nobody is.

If you're giving the Giganscudo to Katina, what the hell is Russel going to pilot? That thing is made for him, the King of Defense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

If you're giving the Giganscudo to Katina, what the hell is Russel going to pilot? That thing is made for him, the King of Defense.

Russell amplifies the Giganscudo's strengths but doesn't compensate for its weaknesses. He's already innately super-tanky and so while he can make the Gigascudo pretty much unkillable he can't do too much else with it. Katina's skill set on the other hand basically covers all of its weak points and its own strengths cover hers. Generally if I used Russell I'd stick him in a robot you get later on which has a ton of built-in beef.

Of course this being OG2 (and especially OGs2) I can't really blame anyone for benching a lot of characters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 2, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I was too burned by GBA OG2 to try doing OGS without all the combo attackers. All of them.

That said, I did once do an all-female pilot run of GBA OG2 and got up to the final boss. Where I ran into a brick wall of HP and gave up. Screw that stage. I think that would go a lot better on the PS2.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Every time I play through OG2, I tell myself that this time I'm not going to have the SRX just kill everything.

Every time I give up on that.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Every time I play OG2, I tell myself that I won't make Lune my top ace again, to no avail each time.

Her PP carryovers alone crank her to 400 Ranged Attack. She is responsible for almost all of my money. She is way too good.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mind that one is the Exbein. Which is a super prototype Huck mk. 3
An is related to the mech of a terrible mary sue

Might as well be the same thing, since the Hucks apparently look too much like gundams and image and branding and all that crap. Funny how that only really changed after Bandai-Namco got a hold of them.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Seyser Koze posted:

Ace Attacker

:hellyeah:
Still the best Real OG theme in SRW history.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Might as well be the same thing, since the Hucks apparently look too much like gundams and image and branding and all that crap. Funny how that only really changed after Bandai-Namco got a hold of them.

Technically Banpresto's always been a subsidiary of Bandai (at least as long as they've been named Banpresto :v:); I think they just decided to stop competing with themselves for Gundamness.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's all rumors since no one can actually come out and say why, but I got the impression it was because anime and kits were cutting in on the main Gundam revenue streams. So whereas games could be ignored, not so much not-Gundam plamo. And if Banpresto can't make money off kits and anime, well, why not replace them with something that can?

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Clearly what they need to do is double-dip and sell Gundam-to-Hucky conversion kits.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 24

Another mission, another intermission screen with pilots who won't be present.

Intro

quote:

In response to Gilliam's warning, the staff at Tesla Reich are rushing to get their prototypes loaded into a transport for evacuation; a "receiver" will be coming shortly. Realizing that she's being sent away to guard the transport, Kusuha tries to insist on staying behind to help guard the Institute, but Rishu tells her that the more important battle is elsewhere - and that he needs her to deliver a new Shishioh Blade to Bullet.

Sleigh and Ibis argue about the training for the complex RaMVs maneuver; Sleigh won't even give Ibis a chance to practice it with her, insisting that the "Shooting Star" is just slowing her down and that there's no need for another pilot. Filio tries to get Sleigh to behave, but she snaps when he says that he's concerned as her brother, yelling that they're just members of the project now and not siblings. She runs out, and Filio asks about Ibis' nickname, misreading it as something romantic rather than mocking.

An alarm signals the arrival of the Inspectors' forces. Kusuha and Sleigh sortie to defend the Institute; Ibis has been grounded, and when she demands a reason, Tsugumi flatly tells her that she'll die if she goes out.

Mission 24: Escape From Tesla

Objectives. Wipe out the enemies, doing so by the end of the player (not enemy) phase on Turn 3.

We're back at Tesla Reich for the first time since Mission 14 (and the first time ever, in the GBA version). We've got Kusuha in the Grungust Type-2 and Sleigh in her Calion against a small army of the Gunsects from last mission.

This battle mastery, as it happens, is probably the worst one we've encountered thus far. The game's unusually specific in giving you two-and-a-half turns to clear out this first wave, and I'm pretty sure that's to make you miserable. The problem is those eight twinned units.

Not a lethal strike.

By transforming to the G-Hawk, Kusuha can just get close enough to hit the Gunsects on the first turn. But it's likewise a non-lethal strike (she needs morale for Spiral Attack, which is the only G-Hawk attack with any stopping power).

On the enemy phase, Kusuha manages to kill one.

Sleigh has a little more luck, being able to one-shot the 4000-HP Gunsects if she gets a lucky crit with the Calion's Sonic Cutter, but you may be able to see trouble looming on the horizon.

That's because a 15% dodge rate isn't a zero-percent dodge rate, and there are a lot of enemies out here. In short order Sleigh gets hit twice, which is too much for the Calion's balsa-wood-and-tissue-paper frame and fails us the mission.

So we try again, this time trying to keep Kusuha in a slightly more forward position. It works, and we make it to Turn 2. Can you see what's about to go wrong this time?

Sleigh and Kusuha move forward and go to town on the drones during the enemy phase.

By the end of it, a mere four remain at the beginning of Turn 3.

That's two too many for us to kill on the player phase. Which means we've failed the battle mastery. Time to try again.

Here's our problem... there are eight twin units to deal with. Between our two units, we have one ALL attack - the Type-2's Maxi-Blaster. However, that requires Kusuha to trudge along on foot instead of using the G-Hawk, putting her further out of range.

But even the Maxi-Blaster doesn't do nearly enough damage to both members of a twin to kill them in a single attack.

So. We need to deal out two attacks, per twin, to finish them off, and our time limit means that we have to kill at least one from every twin per turn to make the deadline. The G-Hawk doesn't have the damage to reliably one-shot enemies, and the Grungust's humanoid form needs two turns to get close enough to use Doomblade (plus the need to gain morale). This means we're heavily reliant on Sleigh killing things. She can do this easily, once she has a kill or two under her belt - Sonic Cutter can do the job, or she can use the Calion's G-Driver for its range.

But that means Sleigh needs to stay alive. 15-20% is pretty good odds for a real-robot pilot. It's rather less good odds for a real-robot pilot who has to dodge potentially twenty attacks in a turn and can only take one hit before dying.

In other words, we're wholly at the mercy of the RNG for this battle mastery.

After a couple more game-overs and a few expletives that I'd been meaning to save for my next Bloodborne session (:argh:), we end up here at the beginning of Turn 3, player phase. I could've killed the last one as well, but I left it alive intentionally so that I can respond to what's inevitably going to happen after I clear out the wave.

So let's do that, then. Sleigh finishes it off so that her Hit and Away skill can give her a head start moving back to Tesla.

Battle mastery get. :toot:

Scene

quote:

The destruction of the first wave is followed immediately by the arrival of Vigagi, who sent the first group to lure Kusuha and Sleigh out of position. He holds them both at bay with a barrage of missile fire. Sleigh rages that she's not going to be able to protect her brother.

A familiar black Huckebein arrives and intercepts the Galgau. Its pilot introduces himself as "Ratsel Feinschmecke." His sunglasses are a poor disguise for the fact that he's actually Elzam Branstein, but even when directly confronted with the fact he sticks to his story. To Kusuha's bewilderment.

Realizing that there's no preventing the fall of the Institute, Jonathan and Filio tell Tsugumi to launch the transport at once and make their escape. They won't be coming along; somebody has to stay behind and make sure the valuable data stays out of the Inspectors' hands. After some hesitation, Tsugumi agrees, and Ibis launches in the Calion to support. When she realizes what's happened, Sleigh is furious, but the tide of the battle prevents her from doing anything about it.

Ratsel plots an escape course for them directly past the Galgau, as the way is otherwise clear, promising to keep Vigagi occupied.

So, our new objective is to get Tsugumi's Ladybird transport off the map.

This is an absolutely delightful setup. Sleigh and Kusuha are way the hell out of position in the northeast. Going clockwise from there, we have a group of Landlions, the Galgau and our mysterious benefactor, some MP Hucksters across the bottom of the map, Ibis' Calion and the Ladybird in the south center, some Gunsects and two Schwert jets (haven't seen them in a while) in the lower-left corner, and some twinned Gunsects in the upper-left. We're surrounded, and we're outgunned, but we've got to slog through the best we can.

Let's have a look at our new friend.

Ratsel Feinschmecker has Elzam Branstein's old mech named after Elzam's beloved and deceased horse, Elzam's color scheme, Elzam's hair, Elzam's boss-overriding theme music, and Elzam's Genius skill.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is...

His mech, the Huckebein Mk. III Trombe, has a G-Territory for defense and After-Image for even more defense.

That said...

He still immediately gets hit on a minuscule hit percentage.

And then he gets hit again. :sigh:

This, ladies and gentlemen (mostly gentlemen, I'm guessing) is because God hates me and wants me to suffer.

Anyway, at this point you're sort of throwing yourself at the RNG's mercy even harder than before.

Sleigh and Kusuha are horribly out of position, but they can at least tear up the Landlions a bit with Spiral Attack and G-Driver.

Vigagi will attack Elzam Ratsel exclusively, and it's basically a d4 roll as to whether the mission ends right there or not.

Vigagi: "Mekibos warned me of a new Huckebein. Your life, or your machine... choose!"
Ratsel: "Sorry, but I can't accept either option!"

Thankfully, the RNG is kind to us on this one respect.

Vigagi has dialogue for everybody, although we have much more important tasks at hand than fighting him:

quote:

Vigagi: "A Grungust series unit. Nearly as valuable as the Huckebein..."
Kusuha: "The Huckebein? What do you want with it!?"
Vigagi: "There's no need to speak to the dead!"

Vigagi: "A new machine. But we only need one... so you can simply die here!"
Ibis: "I'll fight! If I don't, our dream will end!"

Vigagi: "Hmph. This one stands apart from the others."
Sleigh: "You... you'll pay... you'll pay for my brother!"

Down in the thick of it, Ibis has some problems. She knows Grit, but not Focus, making her basically the least qualified person to be a real-robot pilot.

Ibis: "I can do this! I just have to focus on fighting..."

She can hit the enemy, but not nearly as hard as Sleigh. Amazingly, in a mission where Sleigh and Ratsel got tagged repeatedly, Ibis only got hit once.

During the enemy phase, all the nearby Huckebeins focus on the transport. Our saving grace here is that only the nearest ones get to attack, but they still leave it in sad shape.

The one exception is the enemy Ibis attacked, who tries to get revenge and fails. This gets her a jump from level 13 up to 14, still leaving her three or four levels below the rest of the team.

The other enemies move towards the Ladybird, but they're not close enough to attack it, and they're really not worth worrying about. As you can see here (after the fact), Tsugumi is outpacing them easily and only the nearest Huckebeins will be able to attack her. The transport's a bit banged up, but both Ibis and Ratsel know the Faith spirit and can toss her a full heal whenever necessary.

Assuming you survive the initial clusterfuck, the remainder of the mission is actually pretty simple. Most of the enemies won't get the opportunity to target the transport, so provided that you keep it healed up, the main concern here is farming kills on Ratsel for a secret you'll be picking up later.

In fact, he makes short work of that entire corner of the map in a single turn.

Cheered by Ratsel's Ratselhood, I think that surely Ibis can pick up a kill or two herself.

:suicide:

Let's just let the Ladybird escape the map and never speak of this again.

The Ladybird's path is clear, and Ratsel orders a withdrawal at full speed. Kusuha prays for the professors' safety as she departs.

Sleigh: "I'll rescue you, brother... I will... I swear it!"
Ibis: "Filio... I'll keep trying... as long as it takes...!"

Vigagi: "Tch. They escaped... but my mission is to capture the Institute. I'll leave the rest to Aguija."

The Galgau approaches the Institute.
Rishu: "Here he comes... well, we achieved half a victory, at least."
Filio: "Yes. I just pray they can get clear of the continent..."

Jonathan: "Sorry you ended up stuck here with us, Filio."
Filio: "I told you... we need to prepare the Earth for the future."
Jonathan: "Heh, you're not wrong..."

Jonathan: "Well, I think we'd better go say hello to our new overlords."

Closing

quote:

Vigagi meets with Jonathan, Rishu, and Filio at the now-captured Institute. They tell him that it will take two weeks to get all of the data organized and decoded for the Inspectors' use. They're bluffing, and Vigagi suspects as much, but gives them the two weeks - but warns them that five of their staff will die every day after the time is up. All that remains now is to hope for rescue, and that the Inspectors don't find the "double-G" unit in the basement.

Aboard the escaped transport, Tsugumi tries without success to find a safe haven; the Inspectors have overrun North America. Ratsel suggests they head north towards the Great Lakes, where the Hiryu Kai will be making its entry from space, and reveals that Gilliam was the one who requested that he escort them. Kusuha again tries to get him to admit that he's Elzam, but Ratsel plays dumb again (and denies that he's Rai's brother, despite no such thing having been said).

Sleigh is somewhere between fury and depression after being forced to leave her brother behind, and rounds on Tsugumi when she comes in to check on her, claiming that Tsugumi was too eager to abandon Filio. Tsugumi tells her that they are safeguarding Project TD now. When Sleigh realizes the Alpha prototype is aboard their transport, she immediately runs to see it, and is outraged to discover that it's been painted silver. Without backing down, Tsugumi explains that Ibis, not Sleigh, will be piloting the Astelion, and that it was Filio's own decision. Sleigh storms out while Ratsel watches. Tsugumi confesses to him that she has no idea what Filio sees in Ibis; Ratsel's only advice is to have faith that her potential will reveal itself in time.

Alone in her cabin, Ibis wonders what they'll do, now that Filio has been left behind. She has little time to ponder, as the alarm sounds. Tsugumi immediately raises her on the intercom, telling her that Sleigh has taken her Calion and left. Under the circumstances this can't be allowed, and Ibis will have to go out to bring her back.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
He's heeeeeeeere :neckbeard:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Finally! I was beginning to forget all about the Mystery Gourmet :allears:

Also, Vigagi's so creepy looking. What's wrong with his head?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly though, Filio's kinda of a dick.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly though, Filio's kinda of a dick.

I wouldn't say that, but he is the biggest dweeb out of all the characters. I seriously want give him a swirly, dump his books, and give him a noogie.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Sleigh is far, far more of a dick than Filio, If not for nothing when the J lets play on another forum (following OG2) started up was Calvina named "Sleigh" and her nickname "Bitch" I can't even say what they gave as her last name.

She really is just a horrible person in this game, and honestly when I first played, having never played Alpha 2, I did not get it. They try to hype her up but she's just kind of an rear end.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 7, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Elzam is the best Char, and now he's the best Quattro too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He's just the biggest goofball. And he plays himself so straight :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He's just the biggest goofball. And he plays himself so straight :allears:

"Who is this Elzam you speak of? While he sounds handsome, I'm not him."

To be fair, he is a wanted man, and that probably explains why everyone goes along with it after the first few seconds of confusion. Still, the disguise could use more effort:effort:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fun Fact:
Double G stands for Giant Goofballs.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Seyser Koze posted:

His mech, the Huckebein Mk. III Trombe, has a G-Territory for defense and After-Image for even more defense.

Interesting fact: in the anime transposition ElzamRatsel mecha is called GUARBEIN MK III Trombe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpB2bpZHuKk

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Onmi posted:

Sleigh is far, far more of a dick than Filio, If not for nothing when the J lets play on another forum (following OG2) started up was Calvina named "Sleigh" and her nickname "Bitch" I can't even say what they gave as her last name.

She really is just a horrible person in this game, and honestly when I first played, having never played OG2, I did not get it. They try to hype her up but she's just kind of an rear end.

In her first apparition in Alpha her bitchness could be explained with the fact that Filio was dead and she hold Ibis responsable for the accident.
In OG the story only succeed in making her an absoute egotist who thinks she alone has the right to shine in the sky, and in meantime has a quite creepy, borderline incestous devotion toward her brother.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Guy Fawkes posted:

In her first apparition in Alpha her bitchness could be explained with the fact that Filio was dead and she hold Ibis responsable for the accident.
In OG the story only succeed in making her an absoute egotist who thinks she alone has the right to shine in the sky, and in meantime has a quite creepy, borderline incestous devotion toward her brother.

Pretty much, her hating Ibis and despising her because Filio was dead on account of her actions Makes a whole lot of sense, but as far as OG2 is concerned now she's just obsessed with herself and would be a shoe in for the DC, since she seems to think she's better than people like Kusuha, who ya know, actually fought in the war and is a loving hero.

She's a lot like Lee, but while Lee is justified by being constantly haunted by the deaths of his loved ones and the apparent flippancy of the only remaining people he can blame... Sleigh is just a bitch. She's insanely narcissistic, to the point where I always make sure To fully upgrade the Calion so I can wipe her out in the first duel. I don't care if she uses her cutscene powers to come back. gently caress her.

Also the Inspectors folded this and the previous chapter into one episode, So spoilers in this video, but I really like how they handled Ibis in the episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwnOCRs3cvU

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 7, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Guy Fawkes posted:

Well, the first basically grew out of the second, making her more like Asuka from Evangelion - i.e. "I have to be number one, because if I'm not, mama will never love me again my beloved nii-sama's hopes and dreams will come to nothing." Filio laments that the adoring little sister he remembers has been replaced by the Sleigh we know when they're both basically the same person underneath.

Or maybe he does notice, but he has no idea how to do anything about it; I don't know what the Prestys' family situation was like, but it looks like Filio has basically had to raise his sister for at least part of her childhood. So he either has a blind spot towards her due to how she used to be ("being the loving older brother always used to be enough for her, maybe I'm just not loving-older-brothering hard enough") or he's just helpless to do anything about it and tells himself it's a sign that she's growing up and getting ready to leave the nest.

Either way it has the end result of enabling her behavior, which isn't healthy for her. And then when a crisis arises and something happens to Filio, you end up with a situation like this.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Seyser, you see how Ratsel's mech has S rank on the ground but only an A rank in the air? It looks like you had him fighting from the air instead of landing, which partly accounts for his performance.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Sleigh is the worst and the entire TD arc is terrible to the point I wish it was just excised from the game. Ibis basically warmed the bench the entire game except when she was force deployed for me in the GBA version.

Also it's really weird they just give us Ratsel instead of Elzam in this game. Where the hell did Elzam go anyways?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guy Fawkes posted:

Interesting fact: in the anime transposition ElzamRatsel mecha is called GUARBEIN MK III Trombe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpB2bpZHuKk

The Guarbein is the best because it's the perfect fit for Ratsel: a terribly-disguised person piloting a terribly-disguised mecha. And Ratsel, who is most definitely not Elzam, is the best so that's perfect.

Also yeah Sleigh is terrible. Ibis is bad too but at least she doesn't have an ego the size of the SRX.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Narsham posted:

Seyser, you see how Ratsel's mech has S rank on the ground but only an A rank in the air? It looks like you had him fighting from the air instead of landing, which partly accounts for his performance.

That's how it would work in SRW Z. OG makes it so if, say, the mech has an A rank in air, but the pilot has an S rank in air, it defaults to S rank performance.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Grashbar posted:

That's how it would work in SRW Z. OG makes it so if, say, the mech has an A rank in air, but the pilot has an S rank in air, it defaults to S rank performance.

Yeah, there's even a diagram on the stats screen that shows it. The S + A = S means that the mech has an S and the pilot has an A so the final calculation is S. Rätsel piloting the MkIII effectively has an S in everything except underwater, where he has an A.

Also, I believe you misspoke, Seyzer. He didn't have a MkIII last game. The MkIII didn't even exist back then.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just feel like a ton of Sleigh's issues would be resolved if Filio sent like a single e-mail explaining things.

And not even to her, Tsugumi's pretty curious too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Grashbar posted:

I wish this had been the case in Z. As is the only reason to ever upgrade a pilot's terrain rank to S in Z1 was if their mech had an innate S Rank already.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I just feel like a ton of Sleigh's issues would be resolved if Filio sent like a single e-mail explaining things.

And not even to her, Tsugumi's pretty curious too.

Well, right now "explaining things" comes down to "I really think Ibis can do it if she tries hard enough". And he's actually right, but it takes two games because they brought in Ibis long before they did her plot. (I still used Ibis has a mobile nurse/supporter through the entirety of OG2 and OGG - she pairs up with Leona really well - but I can't really blame someone for benching her until 2ndOG)

Invincible does actually work out better for Ibis in the very very long run, because eventually she's blazingly fast enough that Invincible lasts forever, but it takes a bit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

quote:

Huh. I completely forgot they swapped out the Waldung tanks for Gunsects for the group that spawns in the lower left in this game. Also, since Ratsel is clearly totally not Elzam, we should properly update his theme.

RE: Sleigh. Probably the biggest problem with the jump to OG is how they decide to adapt Alpha 2. We're getting all the build-up and character growth for Ibis now, but then all the main OG plot for Alpha 2 is held off until 2nd Original Generations. The end result is that we have to deal with a semi-watered down/revised version of Ibis' Alpha 2 story here, but then (2nd OGs spoilers) we have to go through all of this AGAIN with Sleigh being antagonistic towards Ibis, except now with Filio being dead but with the added retcon of Filio dying off-screen to Mysterious Video Game IllnessTM that OGs barely hints at. So you have all the character development for Ibis retained, but remove the main factor that helped begin the growth (Filio's death at her hands) and replace it with "Sleigh is a tremendous rear end in a top hat because of her inflated ego". And this change really hurts everything related to Project TD in the long run, and it's not helped by 2nd OGs deciding that to rehash the plot because they presumably couldn't think of any way to reincorporate Ibis' plot into the new OG version of Alpha 2.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I think they wanted to clear out everyone that wasn't Kusuha's @2's plot early, which works fine for Arado and Sanger but really hurts Ibis because she relies heavily on bits of @2 that aren't in OG2. And they wanted to show off Filio and gets some backstory for Project TD but just kind of screwed it up instead.

It probably could've been helped if Sleigh wasn't so openly antagonistic, more just "Ibis, get out before you get hurt" until the big break, but that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Ratsel might be best Quattro but he is only second best Ord.

OG2 really doesn't do much in terms of character development for Sleigh and Iblis.

P.S: Ratsel Feinschmecker really doesn't make any sense in german you know. It basicly means he likes tasty riddles.

• Locked thread