Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Plus someone on the writing team has a massive brainwashing fetish.
Thankfully, that team member has been quieted down, as the brainwashing crap has died down to about one person/unit per OG game instead of the massive brainwashing fest OG2 and OG Gaiden are (more the former than the latter).

Hell, 2nd OGs' brainwashing was taken from Alpha 2 and rewritten to not involve the human pilot at all and only affect the robot.

MarsDragon posted:

My personal rating of the routes I've played is Ibis > Kusuha > Sanger. Ibis has a lot of good plot and relates well to the overall theme, and Kusuha is pretty nicely integrated with some background on the Chokijin. Sanger...is really better as a supporting character, but I like his rival a lot. (she was robbed n Alpha and OG, it sucks)

That said, I wouldn't play Ibis' first because her entire plot is about her not being that great a pilot in the beginning and some New Game+ing really smooths that bit over. She's a beast once she gets her upgrade, though.
This is kind of why Arado's route is the optimal choice for a first time into Alpha 2, mostly for the reason GimmickMan mentioned (Arado's upgrades carrying over to 3 units, two of which appear on all 4 routes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

MarsDragon posted:

Kukuru doesn't look like a Jeeg villain, she's just hanging out with them until the heroes kill Himika and she shacks up with the Mycane instead.

But yes, her.

I was under the impression that she had basically no real relevance, since AFAIK she didn't show up anywhere beyond A2.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Well yeah, she died in @2. Then they forgot about her when they were making OG2 and only remembered she existed for 2ndOG.

But I still like her, and will die on the hill that her death was bullshit in both games. (at least she's probably coming back in OG)

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

MarsDragon posted:

But I still like her, and will die on the hill that her death was bullshit in both games. (at least she's probably coming back in OG)

We need GONG fodder, man!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
We already have GONG fodder! Besides, she died because Baral collapsed and what happens with Baral in Alpha 3? That's right.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

Incidentally, the Machine Children's names are taken from the Futhark runic alphabet (which probably means that Egret Feff is supposed to be Fehu, but whatever). Coming off of Neidengard's summary of Alpha Gaiden (which had their names as Ulz, Ansaz, and Sarisaz), when these guys showed up in Atlus' translation it took me a moment to realize who I was looking at.

Never go full MNeidengard.

I'm still wondering how you get Southerby from Sazabi, or Biltbilgar from Wildwürger.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You can bullshit some silly as gently caress readings out of katakana, it's half the fun.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
I realize that, but while you can get Biltbilgar from ビルトビルガー, Wildwürger is an actual term/name for wild shrike.

And while I can see how Southerby can be a name, Sazabi is the official romanization. That he fully chose to ignore.

I know I really shouldn't be so upset over this, but it peeves me a lot more than it should. Not the first time either. (Hiiro? Seriously?)

Which is why I'm really glad for this thread, the Z one, and the W archive. No dealing with his names and jokes.

Grashbar fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 19, 2016

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
So, what I've gotten from this and the other SRW threads is that people only put up with Neidengard (or however the gently caress you spell his last name) and his "translations" for as long as it takes for somebody who isn't a complete assclown to translate a given game?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
MNeidengard has long provided a valuable service, and is an important member of the fandom. I know that I never would have gotten into the Japanese titles without his translations. It is simply baffling that he cannot be bothered to do the very basic due diligence of looking up romanizations in this day and age of infinite wikias. It ought to take less time than it takes to read this sentence. But there you have it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

He also translated the Giant Robo linear notes, so I can never completely hate him no matter what happens.

They're here and a great read if you've seen Giant Robo. If you haven't seen it, why are you still here? Go watch Giant Robo.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I always used MNeidengard's translations as more of "guidelines" to follow the SRW stories. It eliminates problems such as mistranslations of names and a lame sense of humor in exchange for getting to see how the storyline flows. I'd be lying if I said I read them in full detail. I don't think I could :colbert:

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 19, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

MNeidengard has long provided a valuable service, and is an important member of the fandom. I know that I never would have gotten into the Japanese titles without his translations. It is simply baffling that he cannot be bothered to do the very basic due diligence of looking up romanizations in this day and age of infinite wikias. It ought to take less time than it takes to read this sentence. But there you have it.
The rumors I've heard is that around the time of SRW L and Hakai-hen (late 2010-early 2011), something happened to MNeidengard. Either it was trolls causing him to have a meltdown or something else, but this is around the time his translations go from "Decent with some noticeable odd quirks" to "Baffling and bizarre on a good day, near incomprehensible on a bad day". And some rumors have it as MNeidengard reverse-trolling the trolls in order to get them angry for some equally strange reason. We probably will never get the full story, but as much as his work has declined in the past 5-6 years, MNeidengard's work has helped people get into this franchise and that cannot be ignored.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 30, Izu Route

Last time on this route, Axel and Kyosuke finally slugged it out for the first time. This time, we have an Axel-free mission.

We start off with a couple more skill pickups. Kusuha gets Hit & Away to compensate for the RKO's lack of mobility, while Bullet gets Revenge for maximum counterattackage. Most of the cast has SP Regen now, as well.

Intro

quote:

Aguija reports her successful capture of Hawaii. The Inspectors are unable to support her, but she will be moving on Izu to forestall their counterattack.

Laker gives Lefina the bad news and advises her to take care on her return to base. Later he meets with Ratsel to give him command of the Kurogane, which has been secretly under repair there for the past few months.

Ratsel intends to go ahead to Tesla himself while the Kurogane continues separately, but an attack from the Inspectors changes that. He launches in his Huckebein to keep Aguija busy while the ship makes its escape.

Mission 30: Another Shadow

Objectives. Kill everything, no battle mastery yet.

Not too much to comment on here, aside from the lousy terrain. We've got Ratsel's Huckebein versus Aguija in the Silbelwind, a pair of Killer Whales, and a bunch of Sealions and Garoika drones.

With no time limit or anything, we can just jump right in.

Aaaaand not a single one of the grunts can even hit us. I'm just going to fast-forward a bit.

Ratsel can't quite one-shot the enemies unless he uses the Graviton Launcher, which honestly feels like overkill. Oh well.

On the second enemy phase we start actually killing things in earnest. Of course, this immediately triggers reinforcements.

Aguija: "drat, but you're stubborn... Guarlions, get out there!"

Aguija: "Not even you can hold out against these numbers, can you?"
Ratsel: "....."
Aguija: "Hehehe... now, I think I'll cook you slow."
Ratsel: "Sorry, but you'll have to find your own ingredients. I'm not volunteering to be your main dish."
Aguija: "And you're still acting tough!? Look around you!"
Ratsel: "Heh... I see them. But let's play for a little longer."

So now Ratsel's completely surrounded by Guarlions. These guys at least have status weapons, so they can get non-zero hitrates; on the other hand, After-Image is active now, so Ratsel still doesn't take a single hit. Really, the only "danger" here is that we might run out of ammo due to the sheer number of enemies.

Fast-forwarding a little more, we blow up some more Inspector grunts. In short order, that triggers another scene...

Scene

quote:

Aguija decides to get serious and quicly puts Ratsel's mech nearly out of commission. Before she can deliver the deathblow, however, health comes from an unexpected source: Shu Shirakawa in the Granzon. He swiftly destroys all of her supporting units. Aguija's only reaction to meeting him is to demand that he surrender his mech, but when she's unable or unwilling to say what she intends for it, Shu realizes that these aren't the aliens he's been waiting for.

The Hiryu arrives, and Masaki immediately launches without clearance when he realizes that Shu is in the area. However, Ratsel and Lefina manage (with some difficulty) to talk him down. Shu and Ratsel leave, but Shu leaves Masaki with a parting piece of advice: beware the shadows beneath his feet.

So, now that the cavalry is here, we have the battle mastery - destroy the Silbelwind. Aguija actually flees at 20% (22,000 health), though the game isn't kind enough to tell us that.

Shu took out all of the initial enemies apart from the two Killer Whales, but you'd hardly notice, since Aguija brought in a shitload of new grunts to replace them. It's basically a Lion extravaganza here, with a few Gespies thrown in for good measure.

Since it's likely that you trigger the cutscene and reinforcements during the enemy phase, this is actually the most dangerous part of the mission. Whoever's at the front-left corner of your formation won't have time to cast any defensive spirits, and there are Barrelions within firing range. Luck is on Lamia's side and she comes through in decent shape, but you can easily start off here by immediately losing somebody.

Assuming you get to the next player phase casualty-free, it's still an easy mission, although there is one little deviation from the usual norm.

In this mission, most enemies dodge during the player phase, which means you're going to have positively embarrassing hitrates as you push forward.

Also, I remembered to stick a Tesla Drive on Katina's mech so that she could fly over the water, but neglected to do the same for Ryoto or Bullet. Kusuha can cover for Bullet on this mission, but Ryoto's stuck with wading along the seabed and Shishioh Blading anything he can reach.

Not that I have too many complaints about Ryoto's performance.

As we move forward, Aguija takes an interest in Masaki. Actually, she'll focus on him exclusively this mission.

Aguija: "It's time to pick up where we left off, Cybuster!"
Masaki: "Heh... the outcome's already obvious!"

The Silbelwind has a long attack range, but its accuracy falls off rapidly the farther you get from it. Masaki only had a 5% chance of getting hit here.

Aside from Aguija, the mission is straightforward grunt mash. The enemies are much easier to hit on the enemy phase, and there aren't really any other nasty surprises.

There are a lot of units to blow up, though. Which does mean some decent new levels. Excellen, Kusuha, and Masaki learn Valor, and Katina learns Grit, finally giving her a few shreds of survivability.

kaboom

shazam

And gradually we make our way to the far side of the map, where we can get lined up to beat Aguija down.

As we know from our past tussles, the Silbelwind is fast and has After-Image, but has light armor. Strike can take care of the the first two, but I wouldn't want Katina getting fired on if she hadn't just learned a defensive spirit.

Katina: "You sure your body can keep up, old lady?"
Aguija: "Ha! I could say the same to you!"
Katina: "H-hey! I'm only 25!"

:japan:

Continuing with Lefina, under slightly different circumstances than when she last faced the Inspectors.

Aguija: "Well, fine... if I can't take that ship, I'll settle for this one!"
Lefina: "W-what ship?"

And on...

Lamia: "Inspectors... this will be my first time fighting one."
Aguija: "Really? Then let's make it the last, as well!"

And on...

Lune: "Let's go, Inspector Sourpuss!"
Aguija: "You little witch! I said my name was Aguija!"

And on.

Ordinarily I'd worry about farming the kill to somebody who needed the experience, but we're going to use the Aviano route to move forward, so we'll just do the usual and have a Rampage Ghost kill.

Kyosuke: "Bad luck for you, running into us out here. You're going down!"
Aguija: "Ha! That's my line!"

I expected to need Kusuha to support. But hey, we've broken 30k damage. :toot:

And Kusuha can still help out, just because.

:toot:

Vowing revenge and furious that she has to go back empty-handed, Aguija withdraws. (Aguija: "You'll pay for this!" Excellen: "Wow, what a generic villain line.") There's no sign of the Granzon, either... but now that the Inspectors have begun to move on the Far East Base, it's only a matter of time until we have a decisive battle with them.

Aguija is very talkative on this mission, and we actually missed quite a few despite also seeing quite a few.

quote:

Aguija: "That thing's fast, for its shape... but you'll never keep up with the Silbelwind!"
Bullet: "No... I know Ko-Ryu-Oh can overtake you!"

quote:

Kusuha: "That's the Inspector command unit I fought before!"
Aguija: "I don't recognize that mech. Surrender and give it to us!"
Kusuha: "We swore that we'd fight alongside Ryu-Ko-Oh... I won't break that promise!"

quote:

Ryoto: "If we can take you out, then we can recapture Mao Industries!"
Aguija: "Save that line for Mekibos, not me!"

quote:

Rio: "If we beat you, we can rescue my dad, and everybody at Mao!"
Aguija: "Ha! Maybe you're too late on that score!"

Closing

quote:

Back aboard the Hiryu, the crew wonders briefly what Ratsel is planning (Sean can guess, but says nothing). They're more concerned about Shu's cryptic warning. Masaki deduces that he may be referring to the strange teleporting enemies they've encountered alongside Wodan and Axel Almer, a "shadow" behind the NDCs. Tasuku, meanwhile, is concerned about the possibility of a spy...

-----

Video

Tsugumi: "All right, Ibis. Now that the game's over, it's time for training!"
Ibis: "OK! Zero-G training, mental conditioning, classes, I'm ready for anything!"

Tsugumi: "No, no, no... this is today's lesson."
Ibis: "N-no... you wouldn't..."

Tsugumi: "Leeeeeeeet's LIMBO! Today, our defending champion aims to break her own record! How low can you go?"
Ibis: "Urrgghh... f... fine..."

it is a boob inadequacy joke

Tsugumi: "And to all you watching on the monitor: there's something out there that you excel at, too. Let's all do our best! Until then..."
Ibis/Tsugumi: "See you next time!"

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 20, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Urrgh, this mission. Being a pure water stage is annoying, but then you have the issue of triggering the plot on the enemy phase, which is very easy to do because Ratsel is still that good of a pilot even though the last time we could fiddle with his stats was almost 10 stages ago. It's why I prefer the Aviano route over this one, because there's less terrain headaches. And more previews of the endgame, so you get prepared for the bullshit on that route whereas Izu still kind of holds back on that.

Also, Aguija's attack is the canon explanation as to why Ratsel has lost practically half his weapons in about 5 stages time. No, you can't convince me otherwise.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Urrgh, this mission. Being a pure water stage is annoying, but then you have the issue of triggering the plot on the enemy phase, which is very easy to do because Ratsel is still that good of a pilot even though the last time we could fiddle with his stats was almost 10 stages ago. It's why I prefer the Aviano route over this one, because there's less terrain headaches. And more previews of the endgame, so you get prepared for the bullshit on that route whereas Izu still kind of holds back on that.

Also, Aguija's attack is the canon explanation as to why Ratsel has lost practically half his weapons in about 5 stages time. No, you can't convince me otherwise.

At least it's not the OG1 Water Stages, my god.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I like to think Shu is in the background of every fight watching, just waiting for a chance to show up and screw over some aliens then act smug at them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ratsel really is a ludicrously overpowered pilot, and his horsesrobots tend to be kitted out to match.

GimmickMan posted:

I like to think Shu is in the background of every fight watching, just waiting for a chance to show up and screw over some aliens then act smug at them.

Honestly, this is the most Shu Shirakawa thing to do, at all times, ever.

Occasionally you'll have to hotswap "some aliens" for "Masaki" in that sentence, but the watching in the background, the showing up and screwing everything over, and the :smuggo: are all 100% consistent.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

His Huckebeins aren't really anything special. They can fly, but other than that both Trombe Huckies are bog-standard mechs we already have copies of. And our Mk III is ultimately better than the Trombe for reasons we will see in a mission or two. Like, yeah, they're better than a standard Gespent, but so is like.....everything we have. The Mk III Trombe has garbage for a finisher, too. It's fine against grunts, but that's it.

Ratsel is a much better pilot than Elzam, though, mostly because he figured out his skills and spirit list and he's still got good stats and natural S ranks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Shu. Making vague references fun again, because he is doing it to the enemies used to being the ones beating that dead horse :v:

"We have arrived in our overpowered mechs to act smug and mysterious!"
"Oh, is that what you think you are doing :smugbert:"?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

GimmickMan posted:

I feel like while most people drink coffee Shu gets his wake-up fix from having Masaki yelling at/about him.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I feel like while most people drink coffee Shu gets his wake-up fix from having Masaki yelling at/about him.

Shu gets a boner every time Masaki rants at/about him, he loves the attention.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

quote:

Masaki: :argh:
Shu: :smug:

Congtats Seyser. You distilled their relationship to its essence.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hi, i started reading this LP recently (i'm up to mission 10 of the first game) and I just wanted to point out that all the Tindeck music files seem to have been deleted.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Tindeck's front page boasts of how they have zero tracks online right now, so I'm guessing it's just some server tomfoolery again.

I hope. :ohdear:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

Tindeck's front page boasts of how they have zero tracks online right now, so I'm guessing it's just some server tomfoolery again.

I hope. :ohdear:

They seem to be back now, so probably

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. Rampage Ghost is still pretty ridiculous.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Swamped at work again, so the update I'd planned for today may end up carrying over to Monday or Tuesday. :shrug:

Glazius posted:

Dang. Rampage Ghost is still pretty ridiculous.

It is, although it's a bit of an unfair competition now. The first thing I did when OG2 started was dump all my carryover cash into the Alt and Weiss' weapons so I'd have a boss-killer attack right away. Since then I've mostly been upgrading mech stats rather than weapons.

Rest assured that we will be getting a couple new and equally amazing combo attacks in the near future.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres a (relatively) quick succession of missions where you get all the combos.

And one of those combos is absolutely insane.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 26, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I believe you mean two of those combos.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MarsDragon posted:

I believe you mean two of those combos.

Oh yeah, Both are insanely cool.

But only one is Well And Truly The Best And Most Broken Combo Attack In The Game.

(WATTBAMBCAITG)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 26, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 31

Both teams are reunited, and we have even more people on the roster now. This is an event mission, so we can put off the question of who to use and who to bench for a little longer. We'll be continuing from the Aviano route's data; the only major concern here would be Lamia's killscore, which needs to be at 55 by the end of this next mission; as you can see, that's not going to be an issue either way.

Secret mech (complete)
1. On Ethiopia Mission 17, force Echidna to retreat, then move Lamia to the square she occupied
2. On Mission 26, Lamia and Axel must have exactly one battle encounter
3. Lamia must have at least 55 kills by the end of Mission 31

Re-buying SP Regen for people on the other route, re-upgrading the Ryu-Ko-Oh for this route, et cetera. The game also took the liberty of sticking Katina and Russell back into their Gespies, so I shuffle again. Katina gets the red Grungust, Russell goes back in the Armorlion, and Rio gets moved over to the Huckebein Mk. II.

Also important. For real this time.

Intro

quote:

Both Lefina and Daitetsu are back at the Far East Base now, and Laker informs them that their ships will be playing a central role in Operation Plantagenet. Before Daitetsu leaves, Laker pulls him aside to ask him about a matter they discussed earlier: taking on a position as the head of the Academy after retirement. Daitetsu declines, saying that he wants to continue teaching his crew aboard the Hagane; once Tetsuya is ready to replace him as captain, he'll take an advisory position on another ship.

The groups from Aviano and Izu compare their notes on what's happened during the past few missions (and the robots they found). Kyosuke thinks that he'll need more power if he's going to be facing Axel in the future.

Latooni gets a call from Giado and Garnet, who encourage her not to lose hope in her mission to rescue her friends - and give her the news that Garnet's having twins.

Tsugumi and Ibis apologize to Robert about losing Tesla, but he's less concerned than you'd expect - it turns out that they'll be moving to retake North America shortly. Meanwhile, progress on the R-GUN Powered has allowed work on the Boxer frame to go forward. Robert is less than enthused about the mech's pilot, and he ends up awkwardly having to keep the secret about Mai from Kirk.

Viletta learns about said secret in the SRX laboratory; she objects to sending her into battle on false pretenses, but Kenzo is adamant that there's no choice. Viletta worries that she's following in Ingram's footsteps, but Kenzo maintains that "correcting" Mai's memories would be repeating another, much more dire mistake from his time at the Institute.

Latooni shares the news about Garnet with the crew, cuing a small celebration. The crew resolves to end the war as fast as possible to make the world safe for the children, which triggers a crisis on Lamia's part - she was created to keep the war going.

The celebration is interrupted when Excellen begins hearing Alfimi's voice in her head, asking her to come to her. Excellen leaves, seemingly under control, forcing Kai to send people after her. When the Weissritter is some distance from the ship, the control abruptly ceases again, but there's no sign of Alfimi, only a low-level Einst.

Mission 31: The Uninvited (Part 1)

The battle mastery's hidden, but we actually have a strict deadline here, so we'd better get moving. Right now it's just Excellen and a single Einst Knochen, but as you can probably guess, there are a lot more coming.

Also, this music plays throughout the mission. We'll be hearing more of it in missions to come.

With Focus, Excellen is almost (but not quite) unhittable by Einst grunts, so our main challenge here isn't one of staying alive, just of being quick.

Squish. I've been giving Excellen the Boost Hammer for the lulz, but this time we have an actual practical reason: she'll have to take a lot of enemies down solo, and she'll run out of ammo in short order without it. It also reliably does good damage, which can't be said of Oxtongue B or E.

One down. Next!

Excellen: "Oh, hey! It's like you planned this! D'you have a message from her, or anything? 'Cuz I'm not gonna get it if you just keep attacking."

:hb:

Excellen: "Or at least say "NO OBJECTIONS!" or something like that. Geez, you guys are more uptight than my old boss."

Excellen: "Um... speekee English? HEL-LO. I AM FRIEND. O-KAY?"

:geno:

Excellen: :sigh: "Now I feel kinda silly. I guess we're doing this again!"

Nothing to do here but go straight into the enemy phase, where three of the newcomers promptly die.

For the fourth I try out Oxtongue B and get further illustration of why you give Excellen a better weapon for this fight: not only does it have just seven shots, you have to hit things at least twice to kill them.

So, we're on Turn 2. Still looking okay for time, although it would've been better if I'd just hammered the entire pack of Knochen to death on the enemy phase. Foreknowledge is a bigger deal than usual here: the next group will pop up a bit to Excellen's east, and if I don't preemptively move there we'll waste a full turn getting into position.

So we use another Oxtongue B and head over. (Ignore the fact that the next batch of images have Excellen talking from a different position. It's definitely not because I parked her a space too far away and wasted a turn on my first attempt.)

Excellen: "Behold, the tentacles cometh! Things are gonna get dirty now."

Einst Glied: :what:
Excellen: "Don't give me that look! I only have so much material that I can use without a partner! Quit dragging things out! If you're going to come, do it all at once!"

Excellen: "Whoa! It worked! And now I wish it hadn't."

Excellen: (Anyway, guess we're still playing... here's Mr. Plant, which means next up is the one from Cheu Hill, Mr. Armor... I guess the boss will show up last?)

Unfortunately, not even the Boost Hammer can one-shot the Einst Glied, so they're all still alive on the enemy phase of Turn 2.

We use Turn 3 to move a little farther north, then finish the enemies off on the enemy phase.

Excellen: "All right, boys, line up! ...Just like I thought. I'm surprised they're putting up so much of a fight, though." (That's all the Einst we've seen so far. I'm hoping she'll be next? Maybe?)

:black101:

Excellen: "I know a lot of women go for the strong, silent type, but I think they're boring. If you're not gonna say something, then come get me already!"

Excellen: "More of you guys!? If you keep wasting my time I'm gonna knock your teeth down your throat!"
Ibis: "Eh!?"

Excellen: "...Uh, wait a minute..."
Lamia: "Ms. Exy... would it not be ra-ather difficult to rea-ach our teeth from that di-istance?"
Excellen: "Um... Lamia, is that you?"

Masaki: "What the hell, we came rushing out here for you. What's this all about!?"
Excellen: "Oh, uh, hey Masa. How you doin'?"
Lune: "How are we doing!? I oughta smack you!"

:pseudo: The Japanese has her messing up o genki (are you well) saying genko (fist) instead. Lune's response is basically "Fist? I'll give you a freaking fist!"

Actually, most of the jokes in this mission are shorter/absent in the original.

Masaki: "Look, forget about that. What the hell were you thinking, running out here on your own like this?"
Kuro: "That's not very convincing coming from you, Masaki..."
Shiro: "Yeah, I dunno if you're one to talk..."
Ibis: "R-right..."
Kuro: "Well, at least she doesn't get lost all the time."
Masaki: "H-hey! Lay off me!"

Excellen: "A-anyway... I don't see my sweet Darling anywhere?"
Lamia: "Are you refer-erring to the Lieutenant? He sent us o-on ahead."
Excellen: (Then... maybe she hasn't shown up because she's waiting for Kyosuke?)
Masaki: "Well, whatever. Let's clean up!"
Lune: "Got it!"

Note: "My Sweet Darling" is in English.

In any case, the three Einst Gemuet are beefier than the Glied were, and two of them don't even attack this phase, so all three are still up at the beginning of Turn 4.

Excellen and Ibis team up to take on the first two, while Lune and Masaki chip away at the one on the right.

Lamia comes over to help Excellen and Ibis, but then...

She gets hit with a new status effect. I didn't even know the Gemuet had this attack, but we'll get to appreciate its full effect shortly.

On Turn 5 Lune moves up to finish off the last Gemuet.

Ibis: "More reinforcements!?"
Lamia: (A new type of Einst... but wait, this is!?)
Masaki: "H-hey! Is this some kind of joke!?"
Lune: "N-no... isn't that---"

Excellen: "The Alteisen..."

Alfimi: (That is right.)

Excellen: "There you are."
Alfimi: "....."
Excellen: "So what's with all the fake Alts? Are you planning a prank on somebody?"
Alfimi: (...Kyosuke.)
Excellen: "!"

Alfimi: (When I think of him... I have a strange feeling in my chest...)
Excellen: :pwn:
Alfimi: (But I do not understand him... so the shells I made were incomplete...)
Excellen: (Shells? What does she mean? Is she the one who created the Einst?)

Masaki: "Hey, what's going on? Why do those things look like the Alt? What is that!?"
Excellen: "....."
Lune: "Excellen, snap out of it!"
Excellen: "Huh? Lune, you can't hear her?"
Lune: "Her who? You've been talking to yourself!"
Lamia: (In our last encounter, I was able to record Einst Alfimi's voice. This time, are they communicating in secret?)

Excellen: (I'm... the only one who can hear her?)
Alfimi: (Yes... I cannot speak to... Kyosuke like this... but you can. So I need you, Excellen... you... and your...)
Excellen: "Ah, geez! Stop saying things I don't understand! You, me, Kyosuke... I don't know what you want from us!"
Excellen: "...But I can tell that you're dangerous. And I can't let you get near him!"

Alfimi: (Kyosuke... will be here... very soon.)

And we finally get our battle mastery: destroy all of the enemies except for Alfimi's Persoenlichkeit by the end of Turn 7's player phase. It's Turn 5 now, and one of our people has already moved. Good thing we didn't take any more turns during the first couple waves.

Our new enemy type, as the team pointed out, is the Einst Eisen. Not as tanky as the Gemuet, but more offense-oriented. And we've got 11 of them to deal with in two turns.

With any luck, we can still take them down in a couple decent-sized hits apiece. Excellen and Ibis move up to start working on them, so we just need Lamia to do the same.

...Or not. That status weapon Lamia got hit by during the enemy phase? It stops her from doing anything for an entire turn. She can't even cast spirits.

This is a little troubling when we have only five units.

Enemy phase of Turn 5, everybody on the left goes for Ibis, everybody on the right goes for Masaki (who can't do much in Cybird mode). We only kill one, though.

Alfimi, of course, focuses on Excellen.

Excellen: "Kyosuke this, Kyosuke that... don't tell me I've got a rival for his heart now."
Alfimi: (Excellen... for you, I still...)

Not pictured: both missed. On the other hand, right before that Excellen support-defended Ibis and got hit with an Armor Down effect, which is kind of like hitting the Giganscudo with a Mobility Down. Or hitting anything Russell pilots with a Weapon Break.

On the next player phase (Turn 6, now) the cavalry arrives.

Scene

quote:

Upon Kyosuke's arrival, Alfimi says that she created the Einst Eisen in an effort to understand him better. It's not enough, though, and so she asks Kyosuke to come with her (to "a new place, away from the land of beginnings.") When Kyosuke doesn't comply, hshe tries to force him (and Excellen) with some kind of psychic compulsion. With a great deal of effort, he is able to resist.

Kyosuke being here helps to even the scales a little, but he can't tank an entire group and wear them down the way our speedier people can. After the previous phase we have most of the Einst Eisen at half health or thereabouts, but since most of them were twinned, there's another full-health one hiding underneath. Since we only have a turn left, units that still have both partners are the priority.

It's Eisen vs. Eisen! Who will win? Alt's putting up a good showing, but wait, Einst is tagging out!

The Einst Eisen's main attack is just to grab your mech and stab it in the junk repeatedly. Kyosuke can take a couple of these, but you really don't want him to.

That's because once he shows up, Alfimi targets him exclusively.

Alfimi: "To be me... I have to show you more, Kyosuke... I... need you..."
Kyosuke: "To be you? What do you mean?"
Kyosuke: (What's she trying to tell me!?)

Even evading with Focus up, Kyosuke can only bring Alfimi down to a 40% hitrate. You're liable to get wrecked (pictured) and then you'll have to savescum, with all the shame that entails. Kyosuke does know Grit, but that basically forbids him to go after any target that he can't finish off in a single attack (since the counterattack will just waste your damage buffer).

On the next attempt I'm luckier, and we're on Turn 7. It's our last shot at the mastery, and there are still five Einst Eisen left.

On the other hand, Masaki now has enough morale to use Cyflash.

On the other other hand, his accuracy is pretty poo poo, even with Focus. Learn Strike already, kid! :argh:

On the other other other hand, luck is on his side and he kills four of the five anyway. We're home free.

:toot:

We did have a few more people who could move, but that was still cutting it a bit close. If, say, Masaki had missed everybody with the Cyflash, we'd have to eliminate the remaining Eisen individually, with each of our people needing to kill one (Lune still didn't have the morale to use Psycho Blaster). Taking out that first wave of Einst Knochen in a single turn would've given us an extra one - but being out of position because I didn't know where enemies were in advance would've cost us turns. This mastery can go sour very easily.

But it's over, right? On to the next event and

...Oh. We still need to actually fight Alfimi.

Well, you don't really have to. You can just have Kyosuke cast Grit over and over, and on Turn 10 or so she'll leave on her own. We're not doing that, because grr.

So we blast away a bit. We have a few people who can cast Valor, so they can knock off enough health to outpace Alfimi's 13500-per-turn regen, and they mostly know Alert or Guard, so they're pretty safe from counterattack.

Excellen doesn't know Strike or Alert, so she has to leave it to chance.

Excellen: "Well, let's try to salvage this. Can you explain anything? Like who you are, or what you're after, sweetie?"
Alfimi: (It's all right... you will know soon... when you awaken.)
Excellen: "...!" (Awaken? Me!?)

A lucky hit, a lucky dodge, and Ibis is there to support.

Unfortunately we can't quite knock her down in a single turn.

Excellen's chances of hitting aren't quite so good the second time around. The difference is that now Alfimi's morale is above 130; Foresight is active, Predict is active, and After-Image is active. So she can dodge better, and might just nullify our chances on a coin toss.

Somehow, she lands the hit anyway. And doesn't die!

Ibis and Kyosuke follow up and put her just below the 80k mark, which is where we need her to end the mission.

Alfimi: "It is impossible... to succeed today..."
Kyosuke: "!"
Alfimi: "And by now..."

Kyosuke: "Now? What do you mean, by now?"
Alfimi: "Kyosuke... those around you... the guardian... the other roots... their power... if they are erased... you will..."
Kyosuke: "What!?"

Alfimi: "Goodbye... my... Kyosuke..."

Masaki: "She's gone!?"
Lune: "What was with her..."
Excellen: (Is she... is she really? That girl... she's...)
Kyosuke: "....."

Lamia: "L-Lieutenant, it would be be-est if we returned to base immedia-ately."
Kyosuke: "That's it. What she meant---"
Lamia: "Yes. Izu Base is likely under atta-ack by Einst."
Ibis: "No!"

Masaki: "No more talking! We've gotta get back, on the double!"

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 3, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So yes, that status effect the Gemuet landed on you? That's the Einst version of Stun Shock. It's bad enough that a dangerous boss like Ouka can have it. Now imagine it on grunts while a boss is floating around, and you can see how annoying the Einst can get on top of the rest of the status weapons they carry. Thankfully, none of the Einst carry a counterpart to the Mind Blast status weapon, or else they'd be really aggravating.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

quote:

Laker: "Daitetsu, a moment. I wanted to speak with you."
Daitetsu: "...? Yes?"
Laker: "Have you given any thought to the other matter I mentioned?"
Daitetsu: "Taking charge at the Academy? I think Sean would be more suited to that position."
Laker: "You do? I thought you wanted a chance to guide younger officers?"
Daitetsu: "I do. But I've found that opportunity in the field."
Laker: "The field?"
Daitetsu: "Aboard the Hagane. I can't retire as captain yet; there's too much I still have to teach my men."
Laker: "Have you spoken to Tetsuya about your plans?"
Daitetsu: "Mm. Should he survive the war, he'll be worthy to command his own Space Noah vessel. I won't retire until I've seen that come to pass."
Laker: "....."
Daitetsu: "Once that happens, you can place me on a ship as an advisor. That's the role I'd prefer."
Welp, it was nice knowing him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please tell me Excellen shares her suspicions with the class. Though I don't really recall any hints that they were ever anything but 100% human children.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Einst just lured away our fastest units (and the Alt, I guess), two of which are our most reliable MAPW-ers, so they could stage an attack to our last remaining major base of operations.

Every other antagonist faction openly schemes during Intermissions, while the Einst mostly lurk in the background and ambush the Hagane and Hiryu every now and then, so It is easy to forget that they are there at times. This stage is a warning that the Einst aren't just random encounters. they are major antagonists too.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I recall this particular plotline staying at maximum time-wasting vagueness for a while yet.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Welp, it was nice knowing him.

He seems to be talking a lot less in this game than the first, so...yeah, those are some ugly chances. Than again, what's the point of having a magnificent beard if you don't get to dramatically activate the self-destruct on your flagship?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Montegoraon posted:

I recall this particular plotline staying at maximum time-wasting vagueness for a while yet.

Welcome to the Einst, they are terminally vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Welcome to the Einst, they are terminally vague.

Well, they might not be if the only one we hear talking could do so in full sentences.

• Locked thread