Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

You don't need to second a vote, you can pick somebody new.
Oh, I know. I'm just doing what I can to make the next mission less frustrating for you.

GodofDiscord posted:

So wait, question for GBA players, was the Einst Regisseur in the original game, or is this a completely new addition, because I don't remember anything about this guy. I remember the last mission, but not this one.
Yes, he was. The only difference between the GBA and PS2 versions (aside from available mechs) is more or less the SRX's loadout. It did not have Gaun Genocider (that's new to OGs but was present in the SRX's loadout in Alpha) nor the basic Z.O. Sword attack (this is not present in the GBA version because...:shrug:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Oh, yeah, the Regisseur has been around going all the way back to Compact 2 (which didn't have Alfimi in it).

You can check out its SRW Impact appearance here, in all of its Alpha-era graphical glory. You even get to see a new facial expression for Excellen!

EDIT: Also I see that Moon Dwellers is out.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 31, 2016

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I've completely forgotten which pilots and what mechs we have right now, a roster would be nice. That said, just going off of what we saw in the update, I'd like to see Kai/Wildwurger.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Yeah, my mistake. I'll have the full list next time. For now, remaining we have:

Pilots
Mai
Radha
Viletta
Ryoto
Masaki
Lune
Irm
Tasuku
Leona
Latooni
Arado

Mechs (not counting Cybuster and Valsione)
R-GUN Powered
Huckebein
Huckebein Mk. II
AM Gunner
Grungust
Grungust Type 2
Fairlion S (Latooni only)
Armorlion
R-Blade
Wildschwein
Wildraubtier
Schutzwald *
Mass Produced Huckebein Mk. II *
Gespenst Mk. II (x3) *
F-32 Schwert *

* if you pick one of these i will hunt you down

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Viletta/Wildshwein. With the Graviton Cannon.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mai in the R-Gun

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Let's see how Arado does in the Grungust.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Latooni in the other Fairlion because Shine needs her dance partner.

Also the Huckebein Gunner owns :colbert:, it just doesn't suit Rio and Ryoto.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Throw Russel into the Giganscudo-Duro. Let's see the invincible man pilot the unbreakable wall.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarsDragon posted:

Let's see how Arado does in the Grungust.

Aaaaaand that's the last slot. Looks like Shine's going it alone!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Heartless monsters.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
rip Shine

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Eh, I'm sure Rai will handle being her defense stat. Or Latooni will just glare at Arado to make him do the same.

Now if we could do something to fix her abysmal morale gains...

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Rai can't fix her defense stat, his is garbage too. He could probably pile on more evade, which would help her quite a bit.

Honestly, as Katina proved last mission, this is about where you want to just stop taking hits entirely. Shine's robot is pretty well suited to that, as are as her stats once she gets going a little. Not having Latooni's Friendship bonus will hurt, but probably not as much as losing RHB.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Shine has the alignment twin, so pairing her with someone like Rai could work out, kind of sort of.

But entire point of deploying known ace pilot Raidiese F. Branstein is to make him shout TRONIUM ENGINE, FULL DRIVE until his voice gives out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Rai can't fix her defense stat, his is garbage too. He could probably pile on more evade, which would help her quite a bit.

Honestly, as Katina proved last mission, this is about where you want to just stop taking hits entirely. Shine's robot is pretty well suited to that, as are as her stats once she gets going a little. Not having Latooni's Friendship bonus will hurt, but probably not as much as losing RHB.
Shine can at least use her one-way level 3 Love bonus with Rai for some help.

GimmickMan posted:

Shine has the alignment twin, so pairing her with someone like Rai could work out, kind of sort of.

But entire point of deploying known ace pilot Raidiese F. Branstein is to make him shout TRONIUM ENGINE, FULL DRIVE until his voice gives out.
And being the SRX's own internal Accelbot. Can't forget that vital role, either.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Someone's gotta turn that crank.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 33

Earth Cradle

Graien and Van review the plan for Operation Plantagenet. The DC and Federation forces, in concert, will attack the Inspectors in North America from both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts at once. If they coordinate their efforts, the Inspectors' warp devices won't be able to turn things against them. Van has long since realized that the Inspectors were waiting for now to begin their invasion - that it was his uprising that enabled their success. If the civil war ceases, humanity may yet drive them out again.

He agrees to participate in the operation once the Harpe Initiative takes effect. Now, all that remains is for Graien to carry out a few "reforms" on his end.

-----

Mitsuko laughs, noting that everything seems to be in readiness. She's managed to secure the aid of Nibhal Mubhal in carrying out their coup. Graien says that he would've expected Nibhal to be more resistant, but Mitsuko lightly says that she's very persuasive. In fact, his help will be invaluable in dealing with the President.

As for the Far East Base, Kenneth Garrett will be arriving there soon, and Mitsuko has some "insurance" of her own in place as well. This gets Graien's attention, and he sharply warns her not to get the NDCs involved in the coup. Of course she wouldn't dream of it - this insurance consists entirely of Federation troops.

...From the other side, that is.

-----

Interfacing with Magus, Egret commands her to create a new sword - one mightier than Wodan or the Thrudgelmir - to keep the world safe. His attempt promptly self-destructs; it seems he hasn't found a base that will work yet. Or perhaps Magus is interfering?

The Machine Children return from their latest outing, with Thurisuz having nearly wiped out his own allies yet again. Egret urges him to contain himself around the humans for the time being; they don't have numbers on their side, as yet.

Uruz asks about the Machine Cells' progress, but there's been no luck yet; they still require direct supervision from Magus in order to function. Like Egret, Uruz suspects that Magus may be the real issue here, but there's no way around it; they need her to be the controller.

-----

Agilla and Cuervo discuss the success of the Machine Children; they repulsed an enemy force in Kisumu district with just the three of them. Determined not to fall behind, Agilla is on the lookout for some new material - preferably somebody taken from the Federation troops. Perhaps the crews of the Hiryu Kai and Hagane? Though Colonel Vindel may beat her to them...

-----

Far East Base

In the hangar, a few of the pilots are marveling over the R-GUN (Shine wonders how it can transform without getting caught on things) when they happen to see Mai nearby. They're surprised to see that the mech's pilot isn't much older than Shine. Kusuha does a mental double-take when she sees her, however, and Katina has this feeling that she's seen the girl before. Undeterred, Arado and Shine head on over to say hello.

Arado: "Hey! I'm Arado Balanga. What's your name?"
Mai: "Mai... Mai Kobayashi..."
Arado: "Huh? Kobayashi?"
Latooni: "Are you... related to Captain Aya?"
Mai: "Y-yeah... I'm her sister."

Kusuha: (I'm sure I heard that Aya's sister died in an accident...)

Awkward silence.

Shine: "I am Shine Hausen. How old are you?"
Mai: "I... don't know."
Shine: "You don't? Why not?"
Mai: "...I don't remember."
Arado: (No way. She's the same as me?)

Shine: "My apologies. I did not mean to pry..."
Mai: "It's nothing..."
Arado: "Actually, I dunno how old I am, either."
Mai: "Huh?"
Arado: "But I figure we've gotta be pretty close together. There's a bunch of pilots around the same age here. We should be friends!"

Shine comes right out and asks Mai to be friends. Mai doesn't seem to know how to respond, which Shine initially takes as resistance, but when Arado offers to take her on a tour of the ship, she starts to warm up to the idea. Arado, Mai, Shine, and Latooni head off together in a group.

Katina: "I feel like we've seen that kid before..."
Kusuha: "....."
Katina: "That's it! During Operation SRW! She reminds me of that Aerogater, Live Tolar! The video was masked, but..."
Kusuha: "But, Levi Tolar was..."
Katina: "Yeah, we took her out. Just a weird coincidence, I guess?"
Kusuha: "....."

-----

Viletta meets with Daitetsu to tell him that they're making adjustments to SRX and the R-GUN based on the previous mission's data; as a result, SRX won't be able to use the HTB Cannon again for a little while. ( :argh: ) The captain accepts this, but is more concerned about the R-GUN's pilot. He knows her circumstances, and has agreed to Dr. Kobayashi's request to withhold the information from the crew. But no matter their efforts, sooner or later, the truth will come out.

Daitetsu: "There was no real malice in our battle with the Aerogaters. In the end, our enemies were simply fellow Earthlings, forced to do Judecca's bidding. And Levi Tolar - or Mai Kobayashi - was no exception."
Viletta: "But we've already---"
Daitetsu: "We can't erase our past sins. But we can atone for them... as can you, Captain."
Viletta: "....."

Daitetsu: "I've come to believe that it's fate that brings people to my ship, and to the Hiryu Kai. Many of our crew have been counted as enemies at some time in the past, yet now we fight side by side. So don't be afraid that the crew will learn the truth. My subordinates accept her when that time comes... I have faith in them."

-----

Sakae: "Commander Laker, General Kenneth Garrett is here."

Laker: "...It's been a while, Kenneth."
Kenneth: "Hmph... you call this a welcome? What's the meaning of this?"
Laker: "We just fought off an Einst attack. We're all a bit on edge."
Kenneth: "The Hagane and Hiryu Kai weren't up to the task? Are you really planning to leave the final phase of Operation Plantagenet to them?"
Laker: "You are aware that both crews are veterans of the L5 Campaign?"
Kenneth: "You don't get lucky twice. The Inspectors aren't the Aerogaters, Laker."
Laker: "....."
Kenneth: "...So we're taking a few measures."

More soldiers file into the command center without clearance. Sakae demands an explanation - but their only response is gunfire.

Mission 33: Broken Doll

So there was gunfire, but nobody actually died. Drama!

The soldiers yell for the base's staff to drop their weapons and surrender. Sakae asks if they know what they're doing, but ends up having no choice but to comply.

Laker: "...Don't you think this is a bit heavy-handed, General Garrett?"
Kenneth: "Did you expect us to take chances, with you?"
Laker: :mad:
Kenneth: "If you want to seize control, you have to strike decisively. And I think this suits me better than skulking around behind the scenes, like you."

Sakae: "General, this is insurrection!"
Kenneth: "Heh heh... hahahaha!"
Sakae: "!?"
Kenneth: "The Grusman faction has already seized Federation headquarters and the President's office."
Sakae: "Wh-what!?"
Kenneth: "And that means the Harpe Initiative is complete. Under Graien Grusman, the Federation will become a proper military government."

Sakae: "Are you insane!? We're in open war with the Neue DCs and the Inspectors, and you're launching a coup now! Have you given any thought to the chaos this will cause?"
Kenneth: "A coup? Hardly. This is inevitability. President Midcrid and his toadies are unfit to defend the Earth sphere. They've let North America be taken by the Inspectors."
Sakae: "You're blaming him for your own blunders!"
Kenneth: "You dare say that to me? Have you ever fought them!?"

Kenneth: "What has the Aegis Plan done to prevent this? Nothing!"
Laker: "There hasn't been enough time. We could only do so much in six months."
Kenneth: "Were you planning to tell the people that, after Earth had been conquered?"
Laker: "You have to let Operation Plantagenet proceed."
Kenneth: "This isn't the L5 Campaign. I already told you we can't hope for another miracle."

Laker: "Then what will you do?"
Kenneth: "Ally with the Neue DCs, and expel the aliens with their help."
Sakae: "...!!"
Kenneth: "It's the only way to break the Inspectors' grip."
This is actually sort of baffling, since Brian himself was already making overtures to the NDCs for an alliance. Then again, it's not exactly unusual for victors to take credit for the successes of their enemies.

Laker: "...You're right, Kenneth."
Kenneth: "Oh? I didn't expect to hear that from you."
Laker: "But the NDCs aren't a monolith. There are shadowy forces at work within their organization, and until they've been rooted out, we can't trust them."
Kenneth: "Shadowy forces?"
Laker: "Yes. The mastermind behind our current predicament. There is probably more than one."
Kenneth: (Mitsuko Isurugi... or, no... Nibhal Mubhal?)

Regardless, Kenneth will be relieving Laker of his command, and expects him to relay the news to his subordinates. At length, Laker agrees. When Sakae protests, he points out that if they fight, their men will pay the price twofold; they can't afford to endanger Operation Plantagenet. By surrendering, only the upper echelons will need to change hands. Kenneth agrees, as there's no need for bloodshed without purpose.

Kenneth has one more queston: where is the Kurogane? Laker says (truthfully) that he doesn't know. Kenneth splutters that the Kurogane was in dock at the Far East Base for repair after the L5 Campaign, but Laker just repeats himself - though Kenneth is free to inspect the base at his leisure, of course.

Meanwhile, the ship captains have realized that something is wrong: communications from the base have suddenly gone silent. Daitetsu orders all hands to battle stations, and a moment later Lefina follows suit.

This doesn't go unnoticed by Kenneth and his men. The base's new commander tells Laker to order the ships to stand down; he doesn't want to lose any pawns unnecessarily.

:siren:

But the takeover is interrupted by an object emerging from the bay: the Shirogane.

Lee: "...It's been a while, Tetsuya."
Tetsuya: "Lee! You're all right!?"
Lee: "...I am."
Tetsuya: "Th-then, why haven't you made contact!? We've been worried to death about you!"
Lee: "There's no need."
Tetsuya: What!?"
Lee: "Heh. There's no need... any longer."

Tetsuya: "Lee! What's going on!?"
Lee: "It's as you see, Tetsuya. I've taken my leave of the Federation - in order to better wipe out the invaders."
Tetsuya: "Wh-what!?"

Daitetsu orders all pilots to scramble. Tasuku gripes about how it's one thing after another, but Kyosuke finds the timing suspicious. Could Lee have planned this? But Rai suspects that somebody else has been helping them...

Lamia: "....."

Kyosuke: "We don't know the situation, but we can't back down here. Open the hatch, and let's go!"

Lamia: "...Don't move!"

Lamia: "All units. You must disarm at once."
Excellen: "Wha!? L-Lamia?"

Kyosuke: "What? Lamia. This isn't the time for joking around."
Lamia: "...There is nothing to explain, Kyosuke Nanbu. Lower your weapons. I will not force you. It is your decision. I am aware that you are not the type to obey such a command. But my Angelg has a self-destruct mechanism powerful enough to destroy not only you, but the Hagane and Hiryu Kai as well."

Remember how I said I was going to have the intro in its own update?

I lied. I'm splitting the intro here. Ain't I a stinker?

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 2, 2016

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
:argh:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well this is a big cluster of things happening all at once.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Masterfully done, Seyser. :golfclap:

In the previous update you wrote the line "it has more than size on its size." Also, in this one: "they repulsed an enemy force in district Kisumu district with just the three of them."

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Wounded Land posted:

Masterfully done, Seyser. :golfclap:

In the previous update you wrote the line "it has more than size on its size." Also, in this one: "they repulsed an enemy force in district Kisumu district with just the three of them."

:saddowns:

Fixed, thanks.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

On one hand, Van isn't dumb enough to keep his civil war going when the aliens are literally on the doorstep, so good for him.

He continues to be quite possibly the worst judge of character in the entire series, though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Right after the first meaningful victory the team's had in a while, they have to deal with multiple betrayals at once. The steel dragon squad isn't for the faint of heart.

But at least Arado is being a friend to Mai. :unsmith:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, I didn't realise Mai was supposed to be so young. I got that she was a few years younger than Aya but I thought she was more around Ryusei's age (although I guess Aya could be younger than I thought as well). It's a bit funny everyone is just accepting an amnesiac 14 year old into the group so easily but I suppose considering everything it's not even close to one of the strangest things about this team.

Also, it's a little disappointing the coup succeeded mostly offscreen and while this betrayal has been building up for pretty much the entire game at this point I honestly don't see Kenneth at least surviving past this map. There's multiple other more interesting and personal betrayals happening this stage! Is it just me or does it feel like the game's speeding up a bit?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh, I didn't realise Mai was supposed to be so young. I got that she was a few years younger than Aya but I thought she was more around Ryusei's age (although I guess Aya could be younger than I thought as well). It's a bit funny everyone is just accepting an amnesiac 14 year old into the group so easily but I suppose considering everything it's not even close to one of the strangest things about this team.

Also, it's a little disappointing the coup succeeded mostly offscreen and while this betrayal has been building up for pretty much the entire game at this point I honestly don't see Kenneth at least surviving past this map. There's multiple other more interesting and personal betrayals happening this stage! Is it just me or does it feel like the game's speeding up a bit?

Levi was actually older than Mai, because they halted the regeneration as early as they did, she came out looking younger.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Levi was actually older than Mai, because they halted the regeneration as early as they did, she came out looking younger.

Oh. I guess that makes sense. Sort of.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The game is speeding up, yes. We've hit the point where most of the buildup is done and we start to resolve various plots (or dial them up to eleven) every other stage. Note I said most, because this game is really long and some plotlines seem like they go on forever.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ages are a bit weird in OG because of the way characters are trickling in over time, even though they all have definite "this is how old the character is in their home game" ages. Arado and Seolla are supposed to be introduced as 15-16ish according to Alpha 2, but they're also supposed to be older than Latooni, who must be 15 or so now since she was 14 at the beginning of OG1, which was over a year ago in the game (two years in the LP :gonk: ). I think Mai is supposed to be a year older than Latooni as well, so she's roughly the same (apparent) age as Arado and Seolla.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, the coup's not quite over yet. But yeah, we're pretty much barreling ahead at top speed from now until the end of the game - there's maybe one or two more missions that are just "sit around and wait for a new cast member to show up."

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I really like that Laker has a "I am too old for this poo poo" face through the whole thing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh Lee, too smug for this sinful world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

Ages are a bit weird in OG because of the way characters are trickling in over time, even though they all have definite "this is how old the character is in their home game" ages. Arado and Seolla are supposed to be introduced as 15-16ish according to Alpha 2, but they're also supposed to be older than Latooni, who must be 15 or so now since she was 14 at the beginning of OG1, which was over a year ago in the game (two years in the LP :gonk: ). I think Mai is supposed to be a year older than Latooni as well, so she's roughly the same (apparent) age as Arado and Seolla.

Well, the coup's not quite over yet. But yeah, we're pretty much barreling ahead at top speed from now until the end of the game - there's maybe one or two more missions that are just "sit around and wait for a new cast member to show up."

Most of the SRW Og cast should technically be in their 20s at this point I think but they'll be eternally the same age for obvious reasons.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

:saddowns:

Fixed, thanks.

You also refer to Levi as Live Tolar once in this update.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
So wait, you got the HTB Cannon last update and now the game has the gal to say you can't use it? That's just unreasonable and not cool.

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember this sequence of events in the GBA version, but it's still shocking to see how fast poo poo has gone down.
I wonder if I should have changed my vote to Radha in the F-32 since Latooni wasn't going to in this mission. Eh, Shine has the Shishioh Blade, she'll be fine.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Boost Hammer is the better choice because range 1 is crippling.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GodofDiscord posted:

So wait, you got the HTB Cannon last update and now the game has the gal to say you can't use it? That's just unreasonable and not cool.
Remember at this point, the SRX is still a prototype robot held together by duct tape, spit, prayers, and also houses one of the most unstable nuclear-equivalent power sources known to mankind. And they just essentially field tested its newest upgrade (which also runs off the aforementioned unstable power source) in the last mission, wherein the SRX was almost ripped to shreds with alien tentacles if not for Mai's timely appearance saving the day. I would not fault them for holding back on the HTB Cannon, especially given that it is currently at one of Japan's biggest military bases in this universe and a vital staging point for Operation Planetagent.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's Plantagenet, like the British Dynasty supposedly descended from Satan.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's Plantagenet, like the British Dynasty supposedly descended from Satan.
I make it no secret that I am bad at spelling/typing out that particular operation's name.

Same goes for the name of a certain red kung fu robot that appears in the next game.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

AradoBalanga posted:

I make no bones about being bad at spelling/typing out that particular operation's name.

Ohohoho :yohoho:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
EDIT: Moved to next page.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 3, 2016

• Locked thread