Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Let's have Radha join us in the Giganscudo Duro. I would put her in the Jet, put she needs to start building PP for the Resupply Skill if she doesn't have it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lune and Valsione with the Shishioh Blade to pretend she's using the R.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Let's put Rio in the Grungust Type-2

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 7, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Deploy Ibis as much as possible.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Kyosuke/Alteisen and Excellen/Weissritter. They're going to need to be decently leveled later, for... reasons.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

SorataYuy posted:

Kyosuke/Alteisen and Excellen/Weissritter. They're going to need to be decently leveled later, for... reasons.

Better idea: Kyosuke/Weissritter and Excellent/Alteisen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kai/Gespenst. Because it's always time to JET MAGNUM.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

GilliamYaeger posted:

A. Don't correct other people's picks.
B. Pick one. So you're both overruled!

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Excellen/Alteisen

And show off her Revolver Stake line! Unless you already did and I completely missed that. Do it anyway

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GilliamYaeger posted:

The Alteisen is indeed excellent. :downs:

It's kind of a shame I can't vote for Arado in the Alteisen. Ah well.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Grashbar posted:

Excellen/Alteisen

And show off her Revolver Stake line! Unless you already did and I completely missed that. Do it anyway

And that fills out the roster for this mission.

Also, the shorter updates are working better (for me, at the very least), so I'm going to continue splitting things up. That should allow me to keep a decent rate of new stuff going.

unless the metroid 2 remake says something about that of course

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Great, now I can't stop hearing someone quizzically yet dramatically repeat everything the Shadow Moses Mirrors say.

Ashes to Ashes Protocol?!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Shorter updates give the turbonerds (me) more chances to comment on everything that happens, they keep forum page length in check and also lower carbon emissions. Long live shorter updates.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Sorry, too late.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I can't believe you jerks didn't put anyone in the jet.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

I can't believe you jerks didn't put anyone in the jet.

Because even as a "let's torture the LP'er" joke, the jets are just too loving boring to use.

See also: MP Huckebein.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Alacron posted:

Because even as a "let's torture the LP'er" joke, the jets are just too loving boring to use.

See also: MP Huckebein.

At least the MP Huckebein has tones of weapon space, but agreed, jets are terrible. You were stuck with a couple for so long in OG1, and the only thing to do with them was stick Repair and Resupply units on them.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Lemon: Did you know that all of your WEAPONS were created as a result of, and for use in, WAR?
Our guys: :psypop:

New thread title: SRW OG: All Our Heroes Are Kind Of Stupid.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wounded Land posted:

Lemon: Did you know that all of your WEAPONS were created as a result of, and for use in, WAR?
Our guys: :psypop:

New thread title: SRW OG: All Our Heroes Are Kind Of Stupid.

I think she means things more like Radio, microprocessors, jet engines, microwave communication.
Those kinda things.

Metal Gear goes into more detail than this.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think she means things more like Radio, microprocessors, jet engines, microwave communication.
Those kinda things.

Yeah, it's like saying you wouldn't have memory foam without space travel, except you wouldn't have space travel without wartime developments, so really, me shooting a guy in a face is because I really like comfortable mattresses.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Those kinda things.

Yeah, unfortunately SRW doesn't have the budget for hour-long cutscenes delving into the history of civilian technology adapted from existing military technology like Metal Gear does.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
then again, i don't know if they really needed that 45-minute cutscene to prove that the internet makes people stupid and therefore the government needs to take total control of it for the good of humanity :ironicat:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 9, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seyser Koze posted:

then again, i don't know if they really needed that 45-minute cutscene to prove that the internet makes people stupid and therefore the government needs to take total control of it for the good of humanity :ironicat:

A 45-minute cutscene or a seventeen year old forum. Your choice. :downs:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Seyser Koze posted:

MGS2 is a master piece and I will not have you besmirch it! :colbert:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 34

Word comes in from another patrolling ship that they've picked up a contact heading southwest. There's a Federation relay base in that direction; most likely, that's the Shirogane's target. Daitetsu orders a course set to follow. Tetsuya wonders how Lee could have lost faith in them so completely...

-----

Rai: "Did you want something, Ensign?"
Kusuha: "Um... it's about Mai."
Ryusei: "...!"
Kusuha: "Is she---"

Rai: "I'm sorry. We haven't been told much about her either."
Kusuha: "...Huh?"
Ryusei: "Sorry, Kusuha. We can't answer that question yet."
Kusuha: "Ryusei?"
Ryusei: "Give us a little more time."
Kusuha: "All... all right."

She leaves. Rai promptly gives Ryusei the old side-eye, but he stands firm; they can't hide it forever, and they can't keep lying to Kusuha now that she's figuring it out on her own. He'll have to go to Aya and Viletta and come up with another solution. Moreover, Ryusei still doesn't like that they're basically forcing Mai to fight for them; it's far too much like what happened to Seolla and Ouka for his comfort. Hearing this, Rai agrees to go with him - there's something he wants to verify as well.

-----

Levi: "Open your eyes, Mai... Mai Kobayashi..."
Mai: "Uhh..."
Levi: "You saw it with that woman..."
Mai: "!?"
Levi: "That woman, Lamia... your circumstances are the same as hers."
Mai: "What... what do you mean?"

Levi: "You are surrounded by enemies. Our hated enemies..."
Mai: "E-enemies!?"
Levi: "Yes... Aya Kobayashi... Ryusei Date... all aboard the Hagane and Hiryu... they are all enemies."
Mai: "Th-that's not true!"
Levi: "It is true. They were the ones... who destroyed Judecca..."
Mai: "Ugh... aaagh!"

Levi: "Become one with me, Mai Kobayashi. We will resurrect Judecca, and destroy our enemies at last..."
Mai: "I... I won't believe it! Aya and the others aren't my enemies!"
Levi: "But they are! You have no friends here!"
Mai: "Agh...!"
Levi: "Kill them! Kill our foes! Kill Aya Kobayashi!"

-----

Mai: "NO! I---"
Shine: "Mai, it's all right!"

Latooni: "Mai..."
Mai: "Wh... what are you doing here...?"
Latooni: "It sounded like you were having a nightmare."
Mai: "....."
Shine: "Are you okay?"

Mai: (Latooni and the princess are my enemies? Aya is... my...)
Latooni: "Mai...?"
Mai: "N-no!"
Latooni: "!?"
Mai: "No! I won't do it! I can't!"

Mai runs from the room before the other girls can stop her.

-----

Elsewhere on the ship, Radha is already thinking along similar lines to the others. If members of the crew are already making the connections between Mai and Levi, trying to keep the truth hidden can only make things worse in the long run. However, Viletta stands firm: they can't speak about it to anybody, not while Mai is in her current state. This takes Radha by surprise, and Aya explains to her, for the first time, that Levi's residual memories are still present within Mai's mind...

...but Ryusei and Rai happen to walk in at that moment.

Ryusei: "What... the hell..."
Rai: "Is that true!?"
Aya: "R-Ryu... Rai..."
Ryusei: "You're telling us she's still got Levi's memories? She remembers being our enemy?"

And then the door opens again. Oops.

Ryusei: "!!"
Aya: "M-Mai!?"
Mai: "I... I am Levi...!?"
Aya: "Ah..."
Mai: "I'm the enemy? I'm... your enemy!"

With a scream, she runs out of the room. Ryusei wastes no time in running out after her, before even Aya can react.

-----

Levi: "And at last... you have the truth."
Mai: "S-Stop..."
Levi: "Do not be afraid... accept me. Accept all of me."
Mai: "I'm n-not you!"
Levi: "You are me... Levi Tolar, the high priestess of Judecca..."
Mai: "Ugh... aaaagh!?"
Levi: "Come... join with me..."
Mai: "Ah... ahhh..."

Levi: "Let us crush our enemies..."
Mai: "Crush... the enemy..."
Levi: "Yes... grind our enemies into the dust... lay claim to their power..."
Mai: "Pow... er..."

Levi: "And then... reclaim our throne..."

-----

Ryusei runs to the briefing room to ask the kids for help. They're already worried about Mai after her behavior before, and now Ryusei blames his own carelessness for her breakdown. Latooni can guess that this is related to Mai's past, but she's already made her decision to protect the other girl. After all, it's not the past that matters, but what she does now. Latooni, Shine, and Arado split up to cover more ground as they help Ryusei search.

-----

On the bridge, the alarm signals that a mech is launching without authorization. It only takes a few seconds to identify the pilot, but that's a few seconds too late; the mech can't be shut down remotely any longer. Daitetsu gives the order to contact Viletta and have the SRX team pursue.

-----

In the hangar, Viletta gives a quick summary: Mai has deactivated her mech's locator beacon, so after launching they'll have to split up and search for her the old-fashioned way. Latooni and the others run in to say that they'll go out and help as well; Viletta accepts at once, teling them that they'll be under her orders once they're out there. Everybody runs to their mechs - except Rai.

Viletta: "Rai. What's wrong?"
Rai: "I need to confirm something before we go."
Viletta: "What's that?"
Rai: "Your intentions."
Viletta: "....."

Rai: "Why didn't you tell us about her memories before?"
Viletta: "For Mai's sake - and to protect the project, as well."
Rai: "Would you hide other things for the same reason?"
Viletta: "....."

Rai: "I know there are things about yourself that you're not telling us. Ryusei can tell, too. Even so, we've been fine with taking orders from you. We believed you'd tell us when the time came. But now? I'm not so sure. Why go to all this trouble when it's not fooling anybody?"

Viletta: "Dr. Kobayashi... isn't willing to alter Mai's memory artificially."
Rai: "....."
Viletta: "He's gambling that Mai will overcome Levi's memories on her own, and grow into her own powers."
Viletta: "But for SRX to keep up in combat - with the Inspectors, and the Shadow Mirrors, and the Einst - we need Aya and Mai to perform Twin Contact."
Rai: "Adding Mai to the team was a last resort, you're saying."
Viletta: "Yes - and we must keep her and the SRX project safe, if any of us are going to survive this."

Rai: "...All right."
Viletta: "There's... something else I have to tell you."
Rai: "...!"

Viletta: "I... I'm a clone, made from Ingram. He called me his other self. His kindred."
Viletta: "My duty now is to guide you, so that SRX can survive against the coming threats. I will understand if you don't trust me after this... but my reason for being here hasn't changed."

Rai: "...Let's get going, Chief. Our friends are counting on us."
Viletta: "Rai..."
Rai: "Whatever your past... you're with the SRX Team now, right?"
Viletta: "...Right."
Rai: "That's good enough for me, Chief. Now let's go find Mai."
Viletta: "All right, Rai... and thank you."

-----

East China Sea, Neue DC Battleship

The ship's captain tells Agilla that they're now entering Japanese waters. Inwardly she thinks that this is the closest she's been to the country since her days at ICS. According to information from the Shirogane, the Hagane will be coming through the area. There's no data on the Shirogane's whereabouts, though; Vindel's true nature showing through at last, perhaps? It makes no difference to her in the end, provided that her research can proceed uninterrupted.

The bridge crew picks up a single Federation unit, inbound. Agilla tells Aurum 1 and Bronzo 27 that it's their turn now.

Mission 34: Crimson Phantom

Seolla is surprised to see the Wildwurger - though the color is different, so this wouldn't appear to be the same mech that Bronzo 28 was riding. Either way, it's most likely from the Hagane, which means Latun 11 will come running if they attack it.

Mai: "Huh!? Th-this is... where am I?"
Seolla: "What is that pilot doing?"
Mai: (Oh... did Levi make me come out here?)

:smith:

Mai: (I can't... go back to Aya and the others. What Levi said was true after all... I was their enemy. And if I stay around... I'll become their enemy again. For now... at least I can fight Aya's enemies for her!)

Mai: "Get out here! I know you're there!"

The NDC forces respond appropriately.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Earth Federation has spent untold amounts of money building the best PTs/AMs/Super Robots in the world. And yet, they still do not understand something as simple as door locks. I'm not even kidding, half of the forced drama in this opening bit can be avoided simply thanks to functioning door locks. Or the people with psychic powers actually sensing when people walk by or are lying. Seriously, Kusuha's supposed to be one of the stronger Psychodrivers on the planet, how does she not immediately realize Ryusei's lips are saying one thing but his mind is saying something else?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad this plan of sending a teenage girl (who also just came back from the dead) with memories of an evil alien warlord stuck in her skull into live combat while on the side of people who killed her like a year ago and who her alien brainwashing designates as enemies, is going swimmingly. Dr Kobayashi is not the smartest dude it seems, or the best dad. I'm honestly surprised this is happening so soon, Mai only joined like 2 chapters ago, but it's probably best for it to happen now. It's already weird the crew is going along with it. Especially since not a single person seems to think that this is ok, or safe, or smart in any way.

But, I do like that Mai's smart enough to try and get out before her brainwashing makes her try to kill everyone. The fact that her solution to this problem is to go on what looks to be basically a suicide mission against an army of mechs by herself is a bit worrying though.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AradoBalanga posted:

The Earth Federation has spent untold amounts of money building the best PTs/AMs/Super Robots in the world. And yet, they still do not understand something as simple as door locks. I'm not even kidding, half of the forced drama in this opening bit can be avoided simply thanks to functioning door locks. Or the people with psychic powers actually sensing when people walk by or are lying. Seriously, Kusuha's supposed to be one of the stronger Psychodrivers on the planet, how does she not immediately realize Ryusei's lips are saying one thing but his mind is saying something else?

Psychodriver powers are pretty much never used outside the cockpit. You can explain this however you want, but I don't think anyone has ever managed to do regular psychic stuff without a T-LINK System backing them up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MarsDragon posted:

Psychodriver powers are pretty much never used outside the cockpit. You can explain this however you want, but I don't think anyone has ever managed to do regular psychic stuff without a T-LINK System backing them up.
So far, it seems the outside of cockpit usages are-

A: You are a pretty princess.
B: It causes you inconvenience because something something psychic feedback.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Section Z posted:

Thinking outside the cockpit isn't really much of a thing. Psychic can sorta identify its own but they're all really really new to this poo poo and not being given terribly many chances to experiment.

Materant fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 14, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like to think tgat they do have it but because of scifi physics they need a lot of energy.

So in comes the miniature fusion reactor attached to their t-link amp to provide that. Else theyd be going off their own calories.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

I think it's pretty clear that she does realize, but trusts him enough that if he says he needs more time, she'll give him more time.

Section Z posted:

So far, it seems the outside of cockpit usages are-

A: You are a pretty princess.
B: It causes you inconvenience because something something psychic feedback.

C: You can detect attacking enemies five seconds before they would've revealed themselves anyway.

Which should actually be a pretty big deal, given that that's basically the entire concept of a Gundam Newtype, but the story doesn't treat it like that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Seyser Koze posted:

I think it's pretty clear that she does realize, but trusts him enough that if he says he needs more time, she'll give him more time.

C: You can detect attacking enemies five seconds before they would've revealed themselves anyway.

Which should actually be a pretty big deal, given that that's basically the entire concept of a Gundam Newtype, but the story doesn't treat it like that.

That's because the non psychic characters still matter by comparison (or at times, matter more than the psychics) :downsrim:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 14, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seyser Koze posted:

Yeah, basically you have to realize that Psychodrivers are just Newtypes with the serial numbers filed off, because Banpresto just couldn't let go of using that idea.

Not in the "tactical advantage" sense, mind you, but in the "we can have characters with Funnels and advanced Force targeting" sense.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You'd think at some point they'd establish some kind of security against mechs launching without permission.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
What I wanna know is where the hell she got the Redwurger from. It seems to be in perfect working order, so why weren't we using it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GilliamYaeger posted:

What I wanna know is where the hell she got the Redwurger from. It seems to be in perfect working order, so why weren't we using it?

In case Arado blows up the Wurger-L

Every unit in the series is made in two test pairs, L and R. The original Huckebeins for example, Ring's Huckebein is actually Huckebein-L. They aren't always completed together either, the Falcon-R was still in testing until Arado blew it up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AradoBalanga posted:

Ryusei is also a powerful as loving poo poo psychodriver and can probably block her?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am glad this plan of sending a teenage girl (who also just came back from the dead) with memories of an evil alien warlord stuck in her skull into live combat while on the side of people who killed her like a year ago and who her alien brainwashing designates as enemies, is going swimmingly. Dr Kobayashi is not the smartest dude it seems, or the best dad. I'm honestly surprised this is happening so soon, Mai only joined like 2 chapters ago, but it's probably best for it to happen now. It's already weird the crew is going along with it. Especially since not a single person seems to think that this is ok, or safe, or smart in any way.

But, I do like that Mai's smart enough to try and get out before her brainwashing makes her try to kill everyone. The fact that her solution to this problem is to go on what looks to be basically a suicide mission against an army of mechs by herself is a bit worrying though.

In his defense as a dad he at least is not willing to mindrape her memories like basically every other faction out there and is hoping instead that human compassion will fix her poo poo. (and she is the only one who can be the huge gently caress off gun for the srx to shoot everything with.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There is really no reason to be so secretive about Mai having Levi's memories beyond ~drama~.

It's not like the Steel Dragons have ever really cared that much about recruiting former enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
One of my absolute favourite moments in the entire game is coming up this mission. I've been looking forwards to it this whole time.

• Locked thread