Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Van, Yuuki, and Carla basically make up the entirety of "reasonable villains" in this game, and they've spent all their time up till now palling around with motherfucking Archibald Grims. If this were a regular SRW game I'd expect them to team up with Gauron or Ali Al Sachez and still be spouting a bunch of self-righteous rhetoric at the protagonists.

Well, maybe not Carla. She seems pretty chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yuuki did betray Archibald and stop him from committing totally hilarious war crimes, though. Carla is chill though, agreed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AradoBalanga posted:

Welcome to OG2's flavor of writing, where it goes out of its way and then some to turn every villain character (outside of a select few) into vile, irredeemable monsters without a shred of decency or remorse. OGs dials this back for a couple of villains (the Shadow Mirrors, in particular), but the rest all follow this pattern to the letter, such as Aguilla here.

Lee was too fed up with this poo poo + :smug: for this sinful earth.

Honestly, it was probably the smug that doomed him far more than anything :v:

I don't know anything about these games, but it was pretty inevitable from the start that he was going to get unceremoniously killed off for not liking the protagonists, with a coinflip of if get got the chance to betray them at the first excuse first.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Section Z posted:

Lee was too fed up with this poo poo + :smug: for this sinful earth.

Honestly, it was probably the smug that doomed him far more than anything :v:

I don't know anything about these games, but it was pretty inevitable from the start that he was going to get unceremoniously killed off for not liking the protagonists, with a coinflip of if get got the chance to betray them at the first excuse first.

There's only room for one master of :smug: in OGverse, and that's Shu Shirakawa.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So right after I changed up the LP format to result in more frequent updates, I started having to do overtime at work again. :eng99:

Oh well, I'm here now.

So Ryusei, Latooni, and Arado have joined the fray, while Mai and Aya are both disabled. There's still no sign of the battle mastery, so we just move up and engage the Guarlions for a couple turns.

We don't actually want to destroy any of them, for reasons, but wearing their health down will make things a little easier in a few moments.

Ouka's also on the field in the Rapiecage, and will target Latooni exclusively, but even using status weapons, she can barely hit her.

No problems here.

Having worn the Guarlions down, we just turtle up for another turn.

Agilla notes that with Latun 11 lured onto the field, there's no need to delay and draw the Hagane out. She orders the ship's captain to recover the samples quickly so they can make their escape. He sends a squad of Guarlions to make the retrieval.

Arado and Ryusei rush to intercept, but Ouka lays down a barrage of missile fire to keep them at bay. She tells Latooni that it's time to come back to their mother. Latooni refuses, but Ouka expected as much; after all, that rebellious streak was what she always liked about her.

No matter; she can dismantle Latooni's mech and bring her back easily enough.

Or not.

Viletta: "Those are my subordinates - my comrades. Keep your hands off of them."
Ryusei: "Ch... Chief!?"
Viletta: "Looks like I made it in time after all."

Agilla yells for the captain to hurry it up, but it's too late; Viletta takes out Mai's attackers effortlessly.

Desperate, he figures they can at least capture the R-3...

...but Rai has a thing or two to say about that as well.

Aya: "R-Rai..."
Rai: "Are you all right, Captain? ...What about you, Mai?"
Mai: "Raidiese... you came for..."
Rai: "We're a team. What came before doesn't matter. SRX binds us all together."
Mai: "....."
Rai: "So I'm here to help you."

Agilla: "Hehahaha! Oh, this is too much!"
Rai: "!"
Agilla: "The past doesn't matter? A team? Ridiculous! Numbers 5 and 7 have been acting on memories I created! All this time, you've been fighting alongside my puppets! All at my design! And you call those 'bonds?' Hyahahaha!"

:smith:

Aya: "...And... what if we were?"
Agilla: "Ha ha ha... huh!?"

Aya: "I said, so what if I was ever your puppet!?"
Agilla: "!!"
Aya: "Your fake memories, your plans and schemes... they have nothing to do with me any more! I have my own memories of Ryu, and Rai, and the Chief, and everyone else! Those are real! And you had nothing to do with them - I made them myself!"
Agilla: "Nngh...!"
Ryusei: "Aya..."

Aya: "Ryu... remember what Major Ingram said to me? 'Don't be bound by your past... find your own way forward.'"
Ryusei: "Y-yeah..."
Aya: "So I'll rise above my past, whatever that takes. I'll walk that road with you, in the R-3."
Rai: "Captain..."
Aya: "Not because of some planted memories... this is my choice."

Mai: "....."
Aya: "Mai, what matters to us isn't your past, it's your future. Figure out for yourself... what you want to do going forward."
Mai: "I..."

Mai: "I'm going to stay with Aya and Ryusei! I have... I have to make up for my past self's crimes. And you need me... so I want to fight with you!"

Furious that her puppets are disobeying their programming, Agilla yells for Ouka to just kill them and be done with it - but before Ouka can comply, Viletta tackles her.

Ryusei, Rai, and Aya take up defensive positions around Mai's mech, then form SRX once again.

Even more furious, Agilla calls for the remaining forces to launch - including Seolla in the Wildfalken.

Seolla: "Arado Balanga! You've troubled Ouka for the last time!"
Arado: "Seolla, didn't you hear what Agilla was saying? The old hag is messing with your memories!"
Seolla: "That wasn't at the School! It has nothing to do with us!"
Agilla: "...That's right, Bronzo 27. You're my beloved daughter. So, join up with Aurum 1 and fight for me."
Seolla: "Yes, Mother!"

Agilla cackles that they'll never defeat her daughters. There's no more need to worry about retrieving samples - just kill everyone and bring Latun 11 back! The group hastily reorganizes; SRX looks stable, and Viletta says that she's ready to connect with the R-GUN whenever they need.

Agilla: "Hehehe! This is precious! Failed pilots riding in failed mechs, joined together by false bonds! I haven't laughed so hard in ages! Hehahahaha!"
Ryusei: "SHUT UP!"
Agilla: "!?"
Ryusei: "Failures, fakes, whatever! You keep your eyes open and get a good look - because our bonds are what gives the SRX Team its power!"

Imagine I included a link to some Persona battle music here.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 21, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryusei isn't wrong. The SRX sure as hell isn't held together by competent engineering.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Now I'm imagining potential social links for this game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Argas posted:

Now I'm imagining potential social links for this game.

Eh, I'd more imagine Fire Emblem Supports instead, since there isn't really a POV character.

Thinking on it though, that could actually work really well for the OG games at least, I'm sure the writers are itching to let us know about Russell's secret love of rom-coms but can't find a place to put it in the story :v:

ImpAtom posted:

Ryusei isn't wrong. The SRX sure as hell isn't held together by competent engineering.

The SRX being literally held together by prayer will always be one of my favorite things.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Prayer and Rai's aching left hand.

Aya gets a nice little character moment here. It's good to see her get a little time in the spotlight for once.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Ah...so Aguila isn't evil....just batshit insane.

Also, there is Rai with the Super Robot speech. Maybe he has been hanging around Ryusei for too long...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ashram posted:

Ah...so Aguila isn't evil....just batshit insane.

Also, there is Rai with the Super Robot speech. Maybe he has been hanging around Ryusei for too long...

In the next game Ryusei calls him on always getting lovely with Ryusei's names and demands he names the HTB cannon then.

Rai immediatly says Galaxy Phantom Explosion

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
And there it is, my favourite moment in the game! Aya's "So what?"

It's fantastic because yeah, everyone reminds her of their bonds but it's Aya that drags herself and Mai out of Aguila's bullshit. If anyone deserved that moment it was definitely her and it makes me happy every time this level comes up.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

The most recent wave of new enemies includes more Guarlions, along with a bunch of Barrelions and even some Sealions off on the left there.

Interestingly, shooting down Ouka or Seolla is now a failure condition for the mission. We also have our battle mastery at last: take out nine enemies in the next two turns.

This is why we spent the past couple turns wearing down the enemies instead of killing them, giving us some easy kills once the mastery is revealed.

Even if we hadn't prepared, with SRX rolling along at max morale, we can tear nine enemies apart quickly enough.

:toot:

The Hagane arrives and wastes no time in deploying the remaining pilots. Shine is relieved to hear that Mai is all right. However, Katina isn't going to roll over so easily when Rai matter-of-factly tells her that Mai is part of the team and there's nothing more to worry about. Still, there's no time to explain things now, so she has to content herself with grumbling about how everybody's gone soft.

Realizing that the tide has turned against them, Agilla tells the sub's captain to get them out of there; Seolla and Ouka stay behind to cover her retreat.

So now that the gang's all here, it's inexplicably okay to shoot Seolla and Ouka down again. At this point things are pretty much over; SRX can continue steamrolling everybody, or you can bring up the rest of your team and spread some kills around.

Pretty much the only risk here is that you'll get cocky and get Mai or one of the SRX people killed, failing the mission. Not that this happened to me or anything.

Anyway, the real star of the show is here, and that's what matters.

Excellen: "I'll take you to armor-piercing heaven!"

Excellen: "Even if you say 'stop,' I'll just keep going!" :wink:

Thank you, ma'am, may I have another?

Excellen: "I can't let this chance pass me by, can I?"

Excellen: "I'm gonna keep penetrating. Deeper... and deeper...!"

:pseudo: Atlus version. The JP version's more along the lines of "No matter what defenses you put up, I'll penetrate 'em!"

There's another one where she bites her tongue yelling "Revolver Stake!" but alas, she didn't use it this time.

You guys didn't say which Gespenst to put Kai in. :colbert:

Rio's doing pretty well for herself in the Type-2.

Latooni won't be outdone by Shine on the stabby-stabby front.

Unfortunately, there's no witty banter between the main pilot and subpilot for the Huckebein Gunner, so Tasuku was silent this mission.

One more for the road? Okay.

Excellen: "This'll send you flying!"

Excellen: "Three... Two... One... Liftoff!"

:pseudo: Atlus version. She actually just yells the same "Tamayaaaa!" line that she uses at the end of Oxtongue D.

In the end we're down to just Ouka and Seolla. Seolla flees at something like 30%, so we get a little combo set up, with Radha as the finisher. I did put boosters on the Gan-Duro this time, but the lack of post-movement attacks still makes it hard to keep an offensive up.

Kaboom.

With the level of damage she's taken, Ouka decides to send Seolla home early. Arado uselessly yells for her to stay (again).

Ouka flees at 50%, and with the Rapiecage's health pool that's a bit more than we're prepared to dish out at the moment, so we'll just settle for knocking her down.

Also, Ibis helps.

Promising to bring Latooni home next time, Ouka withdraws. Daitetsu orders everyone else back into the ships to resume their pursuit of the Shirogane.

Highlights

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yes, we're still delaying concluding the Seolla plot. I can almost understand them not concluding it, otherwise how can Mai and Aya angst about their memories for... Two turns? if Seolla's already come back and gotten over her memories?

And she obviously can't snap out of it now otherwise it takes the spotlight from Mai?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Yes, we're still delaying concluding the Seolla plot. I can almost understand them not concluding it, otherwise how can Mai and Aya angst about their memories for... Two turns? if Seolla's already come back and gotten over her memories?

And she obviously can't snap out of it now otherwise it takes the spotlight from Mai?
And yet, the series has done multiple plots taking up the spotlight and not have to stretch things out too much so the plots don't overlap. This stage really felt like it should have been where the player rescues Seolla, start to plant doubts in Ouka, and ultimately upstage and humiliate Aguilla and her attempts to demoralize the squad all in one go. But no, the drama train must keep on rolling because (very stupid) reasons.

At least the next stage is fun and enjoyable.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can kinda get not wanting to put too much into this one stage since it both introduces a bunch of stuff regarding Mai and Aya, and was the first major focus on Mai's arc that had been building up in the background for a bit even before she joined the team. And they wanted to keep that spotlight on the Kobayashi girls for the most part. Though at the point they probably could have just not had Seolla as an enemy this stage for whatever reason.

Anyway that seemed like a good stage and I liked that Aya's response to learning of her tragic past and that she'd been manipulated by people she trusted was basically "okay whatever". It was pretty cool.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Most of the team is willing to forgive Mai thanks to how cool her song is, clearly.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
You can shoot Ouka down here, but it requires some setup. Maxed Souled HTB Cannon with an Ankensatsu backed up by Rampage Ghost and whatever your next strongest attack is should do it (and you DID max the HTB Cannon, right?), but I don't think you can do it with the team we forced on Seyser Koze. I'm pretty sure I did it on my last run through this game, though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Weren't they talking just a few stages ago about how they needed Aya and Mai to Twin Contact in order to use the HTB Cannon? Why can Viletta do it now no problem? Did I miss something?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Excellen :allears:

:smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

Weren't they talking just a few stages ago about how they needed Aya and Mai to Twin Contact in order to use the HTB Cannon? Why can Viletta do it now no problem? Did I miss something?
It's because they've finalized (in-universe, mind) the new OG continuity setups for the HTB Cannon. The difference between the two setups is basically the following:

--Mai in R-Gun: TK Power is split between Mai and Aya for the attack. Requires 140 Will to use, the most powerful combination attack (in terms of raw power) in the game.
--Viletta in R-Gun: Aya handles ALL of the TK Power herself with no support. Requires 130 Will to use, slightly weaker compared to Mai's version in the long run.

It's a weird result of Banpresto retconning both Ingram and Viletta to not be Psychodrivers in the OG continuity, which is why there is a dual setup in place for how the R-Gun operates. And no, there has not been a reason given as to why Viletta (or Ingram, for that matter) is no longer a Psychodriver in OG. The hilarious part is that without telekinesis, Viletta loses out on a couple of attacks (TK Boomerang and Hi Twin Launchers) thus making her a sub-optimal pilot for the R-Gun in this game. That said, the R-Gun gets modified between OG Gaiden and 2nd OGs to fix this oversight so that Viletta can in fact use all of the R-Gun's attacks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Obviously Viletta isn't a Psychodriver because her skill list is already too full and she wouldn't know what to delete to make room for it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Droyer posted:

They mentioned during that sequence that while they originally needed Mai and Aya, with practice Aya could do it alone and let Viletta pilot.

The rest is as Arado said.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
From a story standpoint, if the Balmarians could just clone up their own psychic army they wouldn't really need to go harvest them from other planets.

MarsDragon posted:

You can shoot Ouka down here, but it requires some setup. Maxed Souled HTB Cannon with an Ankensatsu backed up by Rampage Ghost and whatever your next strongest attack is should do it (and you DID max the HTB Cannon, right?), but I don't think you can do it with the team we forced on Seyser Koze. I'm pretty sure I did it on my last run through this game, though.

Yeah, it's less damage than we needed to take out the R-GUN Rivale in that one mission in OG1, so we could definitely do it, but with the random-ish team setup I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Now I'm curious about whether she drops anything good, though.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I'm pretty sure that Agilla is Lady Elaine Fairchild if she were a Skesis.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Safely back aboard the Hagane, Daitetsu gives the crew the full rundown on Mai's circumstances. As expected, everybody seems willing to welcome her into the fold.

...With the exception of Katina, who still has her reservations of bringing the Aerogaters' leader aboard their ship. Lune pulls her line about how they've already got the daughter of an enemy leader on their ship; does Katina think she's an enemy, too? Knowing that she's outvoted, Katina lets it drop, with a "well, if anything happens, remember I told you so."

As there are no more objections, the Hagane will be continuing its pursuit of the Shirogane. No rest for the weary, here.

-----

The kids take a little time to cool down after all the excitement. Mai feels guilty that Ouka and Seolla slipped through their fingers again on her account, though Arado and Latooni aren't giving up. Having heard about "Latun 11" during the mission, Ryusei is a bit wary of calling Latooni by name. She tells him not to worry; she's actually fond of the name now, since Giado and Garnet gave it to her. (Along with her last name - Giado's surname Venerdi means "Friday," while Garnet's last name is Sunday, so they called her Suvota, or "Saturday" to go between them.)

Aya's doing fine after her earlier shock; it's just as well everything was brought into the open. And now, their father's behavior towards them makes a bit more sense. She's fine not knowing her real past - the team is there for her now.

Aya: "Let's go back to our post, Mai."
Mai: "Oh, wait... um, Ryusei."
Ryusei: "Hm?"
Mai: "For what you did for me... thank you."
Ryusei: "Stop that, it was nothing."

Mai: "But I really mean it... thank you."
Ryusei: "Hey, don't be all formal. We're a team here, we've gotta keep things relaxed. And you can call me Ryu, that's what your sister does."
Mai: "Okay... Ryu."

Everybody heads out, although Viletta asks Ryusei to stick around for a minute. The rest of the team - Rai in particular - is immediately concerned, although Ryusei tells them just to go on ahead.

Ryusei: "You wanted something, Chief?"
Viletta: "...There's something about me you need to know."

Ryusei: "Don't worry about it."
Viletta: "...!"
Ryusei: "You're the chief, Chief. That's good enough for me."
Viletta: "Ryusei..."
Ryusei: "Aya and Mai have a lot to get over... do you think they're gonna be fine?"
Viletta: "...I think so."
Ryusei: "Then I'll keep fighting with SRX. Together, Chief."

Viletta: "I'm sorry, Ryusei."
Ryusei: "C'mon, enough mushy stuff. Let's go, Viletta. Aya's waiting for us."
Viletta: "...Yeah."

-----

Sanger: "Leaving for today? ...That is good. Rest is also part of a warrior's training."

Ratsel: "Sanger, I've made coffee. You should take a break yourself."
Sanger: "Hm. I think I will."

:shepface:
Sanger: "Ratsel... this is..."
Ratsel: "I-it's just a few drops of brandy!"

Gilliam: "...Naturally."
Kai: "Will you two stop picking on him?"

The relevant joke won't actually come up in the OGverse until 2nd OGs/OG2nd/whatever-we're-calling-it-now, but Sanger has even less tolerance for alcohol than Tetsuya. It first came up in Alpha 2, four years before this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ryusei's chill as hell, I like that about him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, that thing about how Latooni got her last name was pretty neat. Did Garnet and Giado ever officially adopt her? Or are they only like parental figures.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh, that thing about how Latooni got her last name was pretty neat. Did Garnet and Giado ever officially adopt her? Or are they only like parental figures.

I don't think so? They weren't married in OG1, and Latooni's been off doing child-soldier things ever since.

Vortexchen
Feb 29, 2016

Seyser Koze posted:

(Along with her last name - Giado's surname Venerdi means "Friday," while Garnet's last name is Sunday, so they called her Suvota, or "Saturday" to go between them.)
You know, it's "Subbota", not "Suvota". "Subota" in case of Latooni.

Anyway, thank you for LP. It's a very pleasant reading.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

This portrait of Mai is the most adorable portrait in the game and I will hear nothing else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She wasn't officially adopted (otherwise she'd just share Giado's last name), but it's pretty clear that Giado and Garnet see her as their daughter and she returns the feeling.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The SRX team are super cool people in this stage and I like it. Of course, the one person who really should be around to have a chat with Aya and Mai after the stage (Kenzo) is nowhere to be seen. At least have him make a phone call, sheesh! Father of the year indeed.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Ryusei is just collecting them girls, isn't he?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ashram posted:

Yes. Across the Alpha games and OG

He seemed to initially be paired with Aya, as they were teamed up in Alpha on a mission that featured 3 other couples in Shinobu/Sara, the protagonist/their SO, and Masaki/Lune. He's also just very protective of her and a lot of his plot in Alpha 3 stems from her. Mai of course has this and will in the future gain a combo attack with him, Latooni is... Latooni. In OG he used to have Kusuha, though now she's with Bullet. Villeta is more his mentor of course, but there's no denying he knows the right thing to say

And I might be forgetting a few, but key is, he either has no idea it exists, or is willfully ignoring it.

EDIT: It's honestly not that hard to believe since he's shed the shittiest parts of his personality, he's a bit of a dorky guy who's fiercely loyal, protective, and loves his mum.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 23, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ashram posted:

Sadly, the one girl he loves will never return his affection.

Ryusei/Valsione will never be a thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sadly, the one girl he loves will never return his affection.

Ryusei/Valsione will never be a thing.

Do you think he agonizes over Lamia?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Over the Angelg for sure. Robot or not, Lamia's still too human-like for his taste.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ryusei was aware of Kusuha's crush and chose to act like he wasn't, it is likely he knows about his protagonist harem field but is legit more into robots than "mushy stuff" so he'd rather pretend to be super dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

Ryusei's chill as hell, I like that about him.

It's especially nice on Ryusei because, unlike most of the chill or cool characters, he didn't start that way. At the beginning of OG1 he had a lot of issues, which he worked through over the course of the game to become the chill, evenheaded experienced pilot with a few leftover quirks. There's a lot of nice callbacks and references to how much he's changed, like when he acted as Rai's backup back in Riksent, and that history also helps him work pretty well with many of the other child soldiers the team has picked up.

• Locked thread