Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I'm glad you're doing this after the last attempt at the OG series fell through. I've beaten OG1 and OG2 on the GBA, have just beat 2ndOGs as of like five days ago and I've started playing OGs on the PS2 as a sort of psyche-up run to playing OGG, and I've just now remembered I haven't touched my copy of Dark Prison yet so holy crap am I immersed in it right now. I'm so ridiculously on board with this you couldn't scrape me off.

I like Hans. The OG series has such a great collection of people you want to just kick in the teeth, but I like Hans because from the word go you know he thinks he's a lot cleverer than he actually is and from the word go everyone's calling him out and he's only getting away with his horseshit because the real boss isn't home. Also his angry reaction face just cracks me up.

I also enjoy Kyosuke's line in the GBA version just before he attempts the transformation sequence.

"Whatever happens, happens!"

If he'd actually been killed after that, you just know Hans would somehow gotten that engraved on his tombstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

How could you not trust Ingram? He has such beautiful hair.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I love the ATX team. It's like they can't decide if they want to be a prototype testing unit or a comedy troupe.

So they do both.

Looking forward to seeing a lot posts about the honcho now too :allears:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The SRWOG games have enough of a diverse range of personality types it's not unsurprising people would dislike certain types.

I fall on the side that likes her a lot too. She has a lot of great character moments in this game and I'm looking forwards to all the different views people have on them.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I always found it funny how relatively friendly Rai was when he first meets Ryusei outside the base, but then as soon as they're partnered up? And poor Aya has to put up with something she's not quite ready to handle. You can see they've all got a lot of growing to do.

It's a great contrast to the situation with the ATX team where as we've already seen their quirkiness and personalities gel really well.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

It just stood out to me that they went the extra mile in designing the suit not just for fanservice but also for realistic fanservice damnit!

They know the spectrum of their audience all too well.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

In the GBA version (I'm not sure if it happens in this one too) Bullet imagines that with Kyosuke as the new guy Excellen won't pick on him any more. He's so naive. :allears:

As a character I'm largely ambivalent about Bullet. Sometimes I feel like the games are that way about him too!

Then again you debut at the same time as the Type-0 you should probably expect to be banished to the shadows. Because that sword casts one big shadow.

Edit: The new update's on the previous page, for those of you who somehow miss these obvious things.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

What's important is that with Bullet on board we officially have the biggest dweeb we can field in all routes.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

That's the great thing about most SRW games. Sure some characters/machines perform better than others in some ways, but you can just throw some nice gear and blow some money on upgrades onto the ones you like and they can get you through no problem.

I do feel like Bullet as we get him right now is a struggler to get started and that compounds things against him. His Gespenst isn't that good and he's not really that suited for it (and there's no other options really). There's not much you can get from looking at this complete dweebenheimer that is Bullet and go "Yeah this guy's going places!" as a result.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I always enjoy Tenzan's pastiche of some habits a SRW player might get into. Especially when chasing those SR Points/Battle Masteries.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

I love Irm, it's just a pity that there isn't really much for him to /do/ plotwise in either OG games, and it isn't until 2nd OGs that we finally see him sporting an upgraded unit over what his default is.

He does come across as a fair bit of a background character whose relationships and interactions help flesh out the world a bit. But he's a goddamn awesome one.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It's red with a horn so it's instantly Char Aznable approved. It's also one of those things where the theme song of the pilot and the fighting style of the mech just fit together extremely tightly. Either one without the other just feels wrong.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'd read the Alpha Gaiden LP before dipping my toes into OG, not long after in fact. So seeing Shu was a moment of "Oh... oh dear" that he definitely lived up to moments later.

This sequence with our distinguished guests really did confuse me until much later (and I mean well after finishing OG2), so I give huge kudos to the SRW folks for having that much forward thinking on their writing.

I really don't care much for the bridge crew's standard uniform. That... throat-collar thingy Eita's rocking just bugs me for whatever reason.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Katina is hands down one my favourite OG characters, and definitely my female OG character, largely because she's pretty much pedal to the floor in everything she says and does. That said it's probably for the best the Hiryu and company didn't reach the base before Shu Granzon'd everything because of her current propensity towards flying out and killing everything would have ruined the moment for smug Shu was building for.

As for her long suffering squad-buddy I'll admit that when I first saw Russel I was convinced someone so generic looking was being built up just to get killed off to prove a point, but he's definitely worth his weight in Gespensts.

Lefina I think is pretty cool, she really fits into the ATX story and how it's going to progress. Sean I don't really know how I feel about. The stuff about measurements (it's even in some of the Hiryu's battle quotes) balances really awkwardly with that whole "mentor" thing he's got going. The Hiryu is a pretty awesome ship design and all in all I dig what it's about.

MonsterEnvy posted:

poo poo I can't believe I just got a bit of the joke on Katina's nickname of Hellcat. Hell Kat.

I'm guessing her last name "Tarask" is a play on "Tarrasque" too. Very likely the more historical-mythical one (dragon turtle thing with a lion's head) than the D&D one. Ties in well with what she was originally designed for too.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

And poor Russell gets an ulcer that will one day grow to be PT-sized.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

For the record Katina is a human analogue of the rocket punch.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Latooni could kill everyone in her sleep so her glasses are just probably her catching up on her TV shows.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It was mostly that initial scene with Katina and Kyosuke that made me start to like her so much when I was playing. She went in fully expecting to acquire the Gespenst through threatening to acquire the Alt, but Kyosuke is just too unflappable. Also all those faces she pulls. I love that lean she does, I think it's supposed to be like the sort of stereotyped way a delinquent or gangster would move in to intimidate someone. I've seen her referred to as the "military delinquent" so it definitely fits.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'd never noticed that little bit of head-plate metal peeking out beneath Adler's hat before. It puts his face-plating into a little more perspective.

Also the Divine Crusaders really love their ridiculous flapping out collars almost as much as I do.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Ah, the joys of trying to wrangle out the damage required to bring down an enemy commander when they have flee conditions. SRW has so many things that just make a completionist writhe in anguish and I love it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Really, we've barely even begun to scratch the surface of all things Sanger. He's such a bundle of awesome and amusing traits even if he's not your favourite character, there's still plenty to love about him and it only escalates from here.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The 009! I've never really ever gotten that much out of it, but it's not a Gespenst so hooray!

This stage is apparently one ideal for money grinding early on because every foe is a cash-filled pinata and the failure state to force you to repeat the mission is fairly easy to achieve. Never really saw the point in it myself but whatever floats your giant space-fairing vessel I suppose.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Okay, here is where I lose any feelings for Tempest, and also where Banpresto's attempts to make Tempest into a sympathetic and tragic villain straight up derail into a ditch and bursts into flames.

I always figured that shooting down any sympathy we might have had for him was intentional since Tempest is an obvious stark contrast to a character whose own loss is comparable, but I don't think we've had that character's deal elaborated on so I'm saying nothing till it gets spelled out.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

With a father like his I don't think Irm ever had a chance when it comes to having any idea how to talk to women without hitting on them first.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Tasuku is mostly a comedy relief goofball but you have to give him absolutely massive props for the sheer balls it takes to do what he just did. Not many people would go "Yes, I'm going to go into space and catch a ship-cleaving sword with my giant robot that isn't really calibrated for me to use it right" but he does and it pays off. Sanger being who he is was likely not going to be pulling his swing at the last second.

Then he laughs about it.

I can only assume Katina's been training him to fear only one thing. Katina.

AradoBalanga posted:

And now we've been introduced to one of the other ways Banpresto tried to make Bullet into a hero. By having him be bothered by Sanger's betrayal and not being able to get the gently caress over it. This is essentially Bullet's dialogue for a good portion of OG1: Being upset over betrayals and confused over people accepting them so easily and not having angst/anger periods like he is. And you know what's worse? Bullet is going to do THE EXACT SAME poo poo in OG2 when similar events happen. And he's also going to get the exact same (or nearly the same) answers from people when he asks them "Hey, why aren't you bothered by X betraying us?".

This behavior doesn't make Bullet interesting, Banpresto. It makes him annoying.

Bullet's anguished/constipated grimace is practically his default expression by this point. He is such a putz.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Tetsuya struggles with the whole "talking cats" thing far worse than anyone else, if I'm recalling correctly.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

I hope we get an eventual LP of OGs2 just so everyone at large can "appreciate" the Clusterfuckebein in all its Do Not Steal glory.

It's pretty much one of the first things I plan to do if/when I ever get a capture card.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I love the R-Gun because it's such a silly goddamn PT idea, yet the first time I used Metal Destroyer I had to pick my jaw up off the floor because goddamn an accurate description with a cool as hell transformation. Of course I say it's silly but it's not the silliest, and the sillier the idea the more amazing it seems to be in SRW so no complaints from me!

At first I found the Barrelions intimidating when they arrive in numbers but now I don't mind so much, unless I'm mistaken they do tend to pay off with decent enough money for the blood sweat and anguish required to bring one down.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is the first time I see an use for the Gust Lander, I'll have to remember it. To be honest, every time I played OG1 I just stuck with the Wing Gust for movement and the Grungust for fighting (which it does awesomely, hell yeah Grungust). It's like Getter in other games, Getter-2 for movement, Getter-1 for fighting, Getter-3 gets ignored.

In my opinion the Type-1 is Daitarn 3 more than it is a Getter. More or less the same sort of deal in regards to the form changes for sure, but you're going to only be relying on one pilots spirit pool and piloting skillset as opposed to an interchangeable three.

As far as characters and their mechs go, Irm and his Grungust Type-1 are close to my total favourites and only edged out on personal whimsy regarding another character we've yet to meet. The thread's talked about how Irm comes across as the matured form of the hot-blood super robot pilot, and with that the Grungust Type-1 just seems right for him to receive, and no offense to the Type-0 and other variations we've seen but this baby is my favourite in terms of what it can do and how it looks/animates. On top of that it fills a sorely needed spot in the roster on this route but in every OG game I've played Irm and the Grungust Type-1 have held their own even as the PTs and Supers and their capabilities get more ridiculous around them.

Grungust Type-1 all the way.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

So do I and so do you.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Record of ATX is a fantastic read just because when dudes like Siebel appear on the scene they get the absolute best artistic renditions of their dumb arrogant faces.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Look at that chin. It's their hidden fourth Peregrine Class ship. Beautiful.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

And so arrives my favourite character in the entire OG series.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I say Ryoto because hey, the kid's alright.

But yeah I love Ryoto's character arc, his personality, his voice and the mechs he gets over the course of the games. His interactions with Rio are part and parcel of that, they make a nice combo.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I always took Masaki taking the fore of the events as just another part of his personality. He's pig-headed stubborn and sounds off his simple but earnest opinions louder than anyone else, and Bian's way of making "sacrifices" and being secretive in his intents probably reminded him far too much of Shu and his way of thinking. So Masaki shoots his mouth off, accepts Bian's challenge to protect the world because he's simply too stubborn to back down from anything and will probably think of the consequences later. Bian can retort almost everything thrown his way when the others criticise him, but against Masaki's simple views it can only end in "we'll see who's right in the end". Everyone else is seeing there's more to it than what Bian is letting on, but Masaki takes the view that it doesn't matter because Bian is doing unconscionable things, surrounding himself with some horrible people and attempting to justify it all while talking about justice and saving humanity.

On an aside, I always liked Bian and Ryoto's little conversation. The GBA version made it seem like Bian was giving him a pep-talk to fight and Ryoto takes to it with his crazy-face "YEAH I'M GONNA DO IT". It was good characterisation for both Bian and Ryoto that way.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

No one would get mad about Katina if that mission didn't make her an NPC. I say this because multiple times now she's pretty much said to Russel "GRRR LET'S gently caress 'EM UP" and gotten the exasperated "Oh Katina, you so crazy" response and no one's really batted an eyelid.

Also Bullet straight up apologising because he's really nervous right there and then is one of the few times I've found him remotely endearing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I figure the general idea is if you get Kyosuke mad enough to come after you, when he actually comes after you it's in a fuckoff choo-choo obliterator train that will slam you in the face with a million explodes and good luck slowing him down. Even if you blew up the Alt he'd probably just eject from the cockpit carrying a revolver jackhammer and start running at you.

Totally on board with the Ryoto for Ryusei and Russel for Kyosuke votes too. I love the Armorlion and am really looking forwards to it in action. It's one of the reasons I'm so fond of Ryoto, he has all these little character growth things on the side and you see him develop in little bits and pieces.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

Yeah but...the same could be said about pretty much any main pilot we have. It's not like Masaki's just gonna give up and go home if you damage Cybuster, as Shu well knows. You can convince him there are bigger things at stake, but Kyosuke just held off himself right in this very mission, so still not really seeing much a difference between Kyosuke and anyone else.

Well, just keep that in mind for later.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

RIP Hans, you were the most cathartic kill in the game and the only way it could have been better is if he split into an army of Hans all pulling the same horrified expression as Kyosuke staked his way through all of them at once (or one after another). Oh and bye Tempest I guess though Latooni was right about him.

Onmi posted:

See Thomas? Thomas is the smart boss, the one who realized "We're gonna die" and instead said "gently caress this, I'm out."

My father always says to me "Always bet on the horse named Self Interest, because you know it's trying the hardest."

But only if there's not one named "Trombe" in the race as well I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I goddamn love the SRX, the most super-invincible robot under the heavens! It has a kick-rear end theme that's bombastic as all hell, and all its attacks are fantastically ridiculous. I can't not love it. I've seen people refer to Ryusei, Rai and Aya as the "Getter Robo team" of the OGs, though in their case it'd be a Getter with one form only held together with prayers and duct tape.

• Locked thread