Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
SRW LPs are becoming the new FE LPs, huh.

Good luck making it through all of OGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The real difficulty with Impact is finding the motivation to finish it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You can say that about 90% of OG mechs and their upgrades though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So any reason you went with Psybuster? It is a more proper translation, but at this point the official one is... Cybaster I guess. Huh. Never mind then.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It is also straight up a gundam. Not even wink-wink-nudge-nudge like the R1.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

She... hasn't actually developed yet, though?

Really the whole point of this was to get her out of her comfort zone so she can start to develop.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well on-paper The Cybuster beats out the Alt in all stats but armor, which it matches -~50 points.

Thing is, the Alt isn't exactly a tank either.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Excessbein is piloted by the most Original Character Do Not Steal kind of guy in the entire series. Which is really saying something considering that almost the entire cast is made of that sort of the character. Having a completely stupid mech pushes him past stupid and into just hilariously ridiculous.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

At some point, Tenzan crossed the line from being a douche to "how has someone not snapped and stabbed this guy yet".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You want "SRW OGs - 9 Robot Attack".

A less spoilerly version was the Super Dynamic Shuffle Special.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I always give it to Latooni so clearly you should give it Ryoto. Spice things up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've glad I've inspired someone else to start translating save/quit convos. Those things are actually pretty neat.

Also the R-1's design always bothered me because I keep thinking those thrusters on the back are beam cannons. Nope. :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's kind of weird they changed all the dialogue that made what Bian and Maier were doing obvious.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I actually worked on the crowdsourcing translation for a bit. It seemed to be going pretty well, with the biggest issue being that the just-above google translated script everyone was working with wasn't all that accurate.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That right there is basically what every OG's endgame has boiled down to. Not because it's necessary or anything, but just because any other strategy would take too long.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If I remember right, the stage theme for this chapter in the GBA was the title theme. Did OGs keep that?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I still like how the entire ending is just "WRAP UP ALL THE ROMANTIC LOOSE ENDS PRONTO".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

No, see, that's why it does so much damage to begin with.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'd like to like the OG robots, but it's like nobody on Banpresto's design team has any sense of restraint whatsoever so things that could have been good are instead buried under a ton of edges, colors, and toe spikes. The SD art helpfully masks most of these excesses, but a lot of the upgrades have so much that even their SD sprites look like complete messes.

So what I'm saying is that I like the Gespenst's Jet Magnum.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And with that, you've made it through all of OG1. Congrats! :toot:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

I thought about just putting the pre/post mission dialogue in LPix and posting a link (like the Fantasy Maiden Wars LPs), but I'm paranoid about losing the links and not being able to find them again. :ohdear:

I just keep them all in a .txt file.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

From what I remember, OG2 is a game that really should have only lasted maybe fifteen stages, but lasted waaaaay longer because like every single important boss retreats and people just let them because :psyduck:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That was a very nice write-up, thanks. I finally understand Ingram's deal now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Banpresto hasn't had a decent new heroine since, what, 2009? I think that's when SRW Z came out. And they've been doing their level best to make older characters suck too. RIP Kusuha and Lamia.

Really though, all of Banpresto's originals have just been boring for a while. It's sort of a shame.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Not gonna lie, I never really got the love for Dark Knight.

Anyway, to get an idea of how much OGs changed OG2's plot, I have a friend who actually went straight from OG2 to 2nd OGs. Like every two chapters he kept messaging me to ask what the hell was going on. :v:

It's been mentioned before, but the naming scheme on the OG games is completely hosed. 2nd OGs is technically OG4!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think he figured OG Gaiden would be about as important as Alpha Gaiden was?

Or it was just that it never came out in english and he didn't really start playing SRW again until recently.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh..... I imagine we never get to use it as a unit at its full strength then.

You do, but not in any of the mainline SRW OG games. All of the crazier Masoukishin stuff is mostly stuck in OG Saga.

Talking about OG Saga reminds me of OG's batshit timeline. I think the main bits are:

OG Saga I (first part)
OGs
OG Gaiden
Endless Frontier EXCEED
Another Century's Episode R
2nd OGs
OG Saga I (second part)
OG Saga 2
OG Saga 3
OG Saga 4

With a bunch of minor stuff sprinkled in between, like the original Endless Frontier taking place during OG1 and Project X-Zone happening sometime after 2nd OGs. I think even Namco vs Capcom is in there, somewhere?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If I remember right, Ibis in OG2 is practically Leaf in Fire Emblem 5; her final mech is just the mediocre thing she starts Alpha 2 in.

Personally I never bothered to use Ibis because why bother with a character who ramps up when I have a dozen other already great units? v:shobon:v

Hilarious pilot outfit, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm not sure why you'd call it a flashback, but yes, this is what was originally chapter 3 in OG2. The branching point in OG2 was chapter 9, so assuming OGs didn't add any more chapters we should get our first branch at chapter 14.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I remember thinking "when am I going to get the SRX again, sheesh" basically the entire time I was playing OG2, so I have like no opinion on Arado beyond his plot taking too long.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

turned into

which turned into

You don't need to be visually similar to be a successor unit.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 7, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Because hidden personality depths or whatever.

The main thing that annoys me about Neo DC in OG2 is that the non-crazy peoples' reasoning only makes sense if you treat OG1 and 2 like literal video games. From that perspective, the team in OG1 only managed to stop the White Star last game because they were at endgame levels. Come OG2 and now they've on average level 5 or so, and thus the Neo DC crew are able to put up a solid fight against them and have some legitimate basis for their claims that they could have done the same thing were they there.

Any reasonable version of this plot would have the ATX team utterly wipe the floor with Neo DC as soon as they meet up, but nope they flip the bird and then retreat. Which you'd think would still make them reconsider their opinion of the L5 veterans but hahahah nope this is SRW, if the boss retreats he may as well have won.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Aboard the ship, Eri Anzai thanks the crew for their timely arrival, introducing herself as the chief archaeologist for the Lost Technology Research Laboratory. LTR's main focus is the excavation and investigation of "O-Parts," artifacts that don't match the technology level or culture of the region where they are found.

Assuming it was オーパーツ or something in Japanese, they might have meant OOPArt: an actual acronym that means Out-Of-Place Artifact.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SRW teaches us the valuable lesson that the only way to master something is to mess up then turn back time to try again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I feel like Lee would have been much more pliable if anyone but Katina had tried to convince him of an alternate plan.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh drat, mine are gone too.

I guess tindeck finally wised up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think they just had server maintenance or something.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lee's character is pretty much "giant jerk, but he isn't wrong".

Sadly unlike Wong Lee, he does not go around kicking children.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm honestly not sure about that, because one of the things OGs actually changed was throwing in more scenes of Lee being reasonable. In the GBA version of OG2 he was just straight king rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Every time I play through OG2, I tell myself that this time I'm not going to have the SRX just kill everything.

Every time I give up on that.

• Locked thread