Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Oh look at that an OGs LP, Godspeed you crazy person.

Montegoraon posted:

Yeah. Atlus USA is superlative for its faithful translation, but back then their marketing division was staffed by a snowman in tennis shoes and nobody else.

So, a significant number of the characters introduced in OG were government and military officials meant to take the place of, mostly, Gundam characters in those same roles, such as nation champion asshat Hans Weber here. Since OGs borrows and reimagines scenarios from the other games just like the other games take scenarios from the anime series, I'm curious to know what the circumstances in the other games were. Who was around, what else was going on at the same time, etc. Like, who was the guy in place of Hans in Kyousuke's first scenario? Was it a Titan? I bet it was a Titan. What happened there seems exactly like their kind of ludicrously blatant corruption.

Ryusei originally came from Shin SRW and the Alpha series. Kyousuke is from Compact 2/Impact. Elzam first appeared in OG, but was also added to Alpha in the later games. Irm is from 4/F.

Kyosuke's accident happens as part of his backstory, so basically no named character does it IIRC. Impact is post-Zeta so there's only a few Titans left anyway. In fact, by stage 1 he already has his signature mech and is assigned to Londo Bell alongside the NT-Alex, Dancougar, and some Gundam mooks. There is no explanation behind this but they try to lampshade it with Bright scratching his head at the federation sending him the prototypes unfit for mass production.

Compact/Impact weren't particularly inspired games.

e: You know how SRW often improves the plot of the shows that appear in it? OG vastly improves the plot of the originals it features... Unless you're the cast of SRW R. The R Originals got the shaft pretty badly in OGs.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ingram Prisken.

And he's not evil, he just has a problem with making smug faces at people. And a recurring problem with creepy masked alien guys too. And also a problem with manipulating people and... Look, being pretty isn't easy, okay?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

OG puts a lot of emphasis on Kyo and Excy's wacky sitcom hijinx. Their routine may get old after a while, but it is still infinitely better than how they started.

As Seyzer explained, they were both protagonists of a game split into three parts, with one of them in Earth and the other in space. This meant you had each half of this comedy duo alone for thirty stages wondering what the other was up to. Then you had them together for like 5-10 stages before the plot steals one of them away for another 10 stages.

I'll take their OG versions over that any day of the week.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

I like Rai and Aya, though I'm feeling that will be an unpopular opinion in this thread. I used to like Kyosuke and Excellen, then they just got overexposed, and the last one was always dull as dirt. Especially how they changed him from the original story. (but that's a spoiler and a half)

You are not alone, Kyosuke is a lot better as a side character than a protagonist. I mean it is kind of telling that the expies of him and Excellen in the Bamco multiverse are more interesting main characters than the real deal. But we'll have time to talk about that when we get to the plot of Compact 2/Impact in like... One or two years. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Genius runs in the family.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Alpha 3 features Viletta and the same idiot!

So this is pretty much the only time we see the beginnings of the SRX team as far as I know. Despite being Banpresto's flagship originals (Ryusei's theme starts with the Banpresto jingle!) we never got to see them trying to get along until the OG series. Kinda weird, considering they showed up in a bunch of games before.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 18, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Guy Fawkes posted:

Not holes: in the manga the suit is shown to be integral but with transparent elements.

This is almost even worse. Good grief.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It just stood out to me that they went the extra mile in designing the suit not just for fanservice but also for realistic fanservice damnit!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

All the default avatar changes are making it really hard to keep track of posters.

Not usually a big deal but following the OP is kind of important to this subforum.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You know how Tenzan is always talking about videogames? Rumor is that is how Ryusei used to be in his first appearance in Shin SRW. They made him far less insufferable by Alpha, and it was the Alpha version that got his origin story in OG.

Also because I completely forgot to talk about the previous mission: Zengar Sanger is a strong contender for most popular OG character ever. He was originally one of the antagonists in SRW Alpha Gaiden (which you can also find LP'd in the archives!), game that lacked an original main character because Banpresto was experimenting at the time. People wanted more of the originals (and more of him, in particular) so much that Banpresto followed it up with the first OG game and made him one of the four possible main characters of SRW Alpha 2.

The moment I discovered you could make The Sword that Smites Evil your main character I realized I was going to have to mod a PS2 to play Alpha 2.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Silvergun1000 posted:

Yeah, the Alt really is a cool design.

It probably isn't a popular opinion, but I like OG1 over OG2 because for the most part, it manages to keep things pretty grounded for an anime robot game. If you look at the units you get through OG1, they're basically an assortment of military superweapons with a few exceptions like Cybuster, which even then isn't TOO crazy, with even the supers being hugely up-scaled versions of technology they currently have. This is reflected in the story to a great extent, with the first part feeling a lot like, say, Gundam, and the second part basically being Independence Day with robots.

Compare that to OG2 where poo poo just goes completely off the rails. The focus in that game (and sadly, IMO, all the subsequent OG games) is squarely on the supers, and the plot correspondingly is a lot closer to what you'd see in a typical super robot anime. Don't get me wrong, the designs are still great and the plot (and a lot of its set pieces especially) are a lot of fun, but I really preferred what they did with OG1. When stuff like the Lions show up, it's sort of like you're flying WWII piston fighters and suddenly up against jets, you've got kind of a frame of reference to work with that I think makes them cooler enemies. Other than the Shadow Mirror stuff, I don't really feel OG2 did that as well.

I have a few friends who had a lot of fun with OG1 but didn't like OG2 as much for this reason. I probably would not have liked OG1 as much as I did if it wasn't the odd duck of the SRW franchise in having its giant robots kinda sorta make sense and pacing itself decently unlike your average SRW series.

With that said, I get the feeling that they just work with what they have, some of the SRW games they adapt have originals that try to keep things sensible, while others are complete bullshit. The Ashsaber is a lot less absurd than the AngelG, but there is a world of difference between both of those and Ialdabaoth.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Psybuster is a little weird but it beats Cybaster and it definitely beats Cyberstar. Original mecha sometimes have really weird localized names. :v:

This stage is when the game officially gets fun. You get your first taste of absurd bosses (did you see what the Granzon just did?), mid-stage cutscenes that shake up the battlefield, and A Whole Lot of Stuff Happening all at once storywise. SRW thrives on these, so I hope you like what just happened there.

Also it is nice that Ryusei basically grows out of the Scrappy Doo phase so early in the game. Even better to see the way OGs goes about tweaking his character in general. Thank you for sharing the new story bits that OGs added, Seyzer.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This was at the exact same time he said SRW Z would not have many secrets (it does, in fact, have an absurd amount of secrets) or that (Stage 36 or so spoilers) the good guys would not fight each other.

So basically take his words with a truckload of salt.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Onmi posted:

Probably because it's just words and he keeps a very calm face. He never gets the super lecherous old man face or start groping girls. He... well he looks classy doing it and it's never overplayed to be creepy. The entire Hiryu is MEANT to be the Nadesico what with the Gravity Gun and the rookie captain (And all the pilots sans one being loving mental) but it's different enough that you wouldn't notice if you didn't think about it.

It's nowhere NEAR as broken as the Nadesico though.

...I never thought about the Nadesico thing. Holy crap it makes sense.

Anyhow this stage is cool but it does not hold a candle to Ryu's, even with the OGs treatment of added scenes and New Mysterious Enemies(tm). This is sadly a recurring trend that will last until the end of OG1 itself, because this is Ryu's game basically.

So Katina, Katina is cool too. But something changed about her between the GBA games and OGs...

...The color of her right eye. Yes, in the GBA games it was clearly red, but ever since OGs it is purple. Maybe purple was always the original color and the GBA games got it wrong, but who knows why they changed it. :iiam: Also she's kind of really different from her original Scramble Gather version, but that talk is better reserved for a later time when said differences come to the front.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 28, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

...I guess I should have asked for name and series. I haven't actually watched all that much giant robot, and just a name isn't enough for me to look up info. :sweatdrop:

The problem with doing this is that some of the references would be huge spoilers, because several originals like to pretend they are one thing then they turn out to be something else entirely. We have already seen many characters who are this.

Rest assured someone will cover the references though, this thread has so much trouble staying off the spoilers that once we clear the official reveals we won't waste a chance to gush about our favorite animes. :japan:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

Personally I'm not a great fan of rushing to pigeonhole every character as really being some other character from a different series, because then the tendency is to view everything they do as "okay, we just had the scene where he met a new lady friend on shore leave, next will obviously be the scene where she turns out to be an experimental test subject wandered away from the lab and they'll fight and then he has to kill her JUST LIKE IT HAPPENED ON GUNDAM XYZ" instead of interpreting events based on what's actually happening.

It sounds silly, but I've actually encountered people who raged about how Banpresto ruined Team TD because it strayed too far from the Gunbuster storyline, for example. :confused:

I agree. It is weird that people would rather judge characters based on how they fit preconceptions rather than by what said characters actually do, doubly so for SRW which is known for fixing and improving existing plots. :v:

I do think that seeing some of the parallels let you appreciate some originals in a new light though. It is worth a comment or two at least, like the thing with Irm.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 30, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

edit: There were spoilers here because I thought this was the general SRW thread. Whoops.

Sooooooo how about them robots? I like the ones with the rocket punches.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 2, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Onmi posted:

Thomas appears again? THOMAS APPEARED BEFORE?!

I had no idea, I remembered the dude, I remembered him when I forgot Temptest (who?) existed whenever he's not directly on screen, and I never knew this.

Thomas is one of the most competent low-key original antagonists in SRW, I was disappointed when he just apparently vanished into the ether of OG.

But it turns out he was a Masoukishin character all along and he gets to butt heads with the Langran folks. :unsmith:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is no Alt or R-1, but the Wildschwein is pretty good and one of the better second-tier units. After Ingram gets a better mech, it becomes the ideal machine for someone like Bullet or, Terada forbid, even Giado.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There is usually at least one scene per game where Ryu surprises you saying something surprisingly mature for a guy who supposedly only knows about super robots. Banpresto is pretty good at walking the line between "predictable cliche" and "actually interesting" but it is most obvious if you pay attention to the SRX team.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 20, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

At least they didn't call it KillerWhaleDC. :v:

This stage is cool. It is not particularly engaging but it makes you use your battleship (which is actually a fairly decent unit for this first chunk of OG1) and it is easy/fast enough that the gimmick doesn't overstay its welcome.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

So basically, in the remake the writers managed to develop Kusuha's character further while reducing her screentime. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I'll admit, I laughed.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, that's what I thought SK was saying as a sort of backhanded compliment. :v:

Latooni is honestly one of the better characters introduced in OG1, but this part is :japan: as gently caress.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I forgot how badly Kyo's route beat into your head the true meaning of this fight.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Valsion's BGM is very repetitive but I'll be damned if it doesn't fit how the thing looks like an overdesigned 80's OVA final boss.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This mission is kind of annoying but I like the story bits enough to not mind the gameplay too much.

I like the new addition of Ryu going after Rai's data first, it is a nice touch. They really improved his storyline quite a bit in OGs.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This part is pretty fun, exploring the space colony side of the OGverse and getting to know Brian is part of what makes OG1 feel like a Gundam show with super robots.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I distinctively remember the unupgraded Hagane in OG1 GBA being my second best artillery platform (after the upgraded Schutzwald) for the first half of the game. After that you get many good sniper units, but it can still pull its weight even without upgrades. I expected all battleships to be that strong in other non-OG games as well.

Going from that to the Argama and other traditional Gundam battleships in the regular games was a big disappointment.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm a fan of Z2-1 because it has the better halves of many shows, it is fairly difficult to get all the skill points/battle masteries and gameplay wise it doesn't have squad systems of any sort. It also has tighter writing and pacing than many SRW games for a good chunk of it, like OG1 as well.

Alpha 1 and Alpha 3 are a really good start and ending to an epic storyline. MX and W both are full of good scenes, the gameplay is simple and replay-friendly but they're also too easy to have any kind of challenge with them.

A portable is challenging in a way that alternates between frustrating and a puzzle that does not present a challenge after you've solved it, but the final few stages are infuriating and only the very final stage can be said to have the right balance. It is a fantastic final stage but it does not justify 30+ stages of the rest.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 28, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Like many others I always gave the Raubtier to Latooni, so I want to see Ryoto in it now.

Giado in the Lion and Rio in the Huck sounds cool too. Aya needs her TT back.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

If there are no vehement objections, I'm probably going to start leaning more towards summary when describing mowing down the grunts from now on, unless something noteworthy happens. In my experience, reading pages and pages of "and then he shot somebody, and then she shot somebody, and then..." tends to make your eyes glaze over after a while.

That's fine. Around the midgame SRW gameplay stops being worth commenting outside of the highlights with individual groups of annoying enemy formations or difficult terrain and the such.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I had no idea Wakamoto voiced Maier, now I kind of regret never doing the PS2 version of Kyo's route. I always thought Wakamoto would have been a great fit for Bian, oddly enough.

Give Katina and Russel the R-Gun and the Giganscudo. They fit them pretty well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Eita is a pretty minor character but when he does get screentime he is such an endearing dork. :allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

To be fair to Broken Loose, Katina is more of a sniper in OG1, it wasn't until later that she got tweaked into a meleeist.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Most of the cast gets the rest in trouble by rushing ahead at some point. Katina is just the worst at it and it happens as part of her introduction if you're playing Ryusei's route.

I like Katina and all but she does not make a good first impression.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

CmdrKing posted:

SRX vs ATX

Let me put it this way: I am somewhat lukewarm on Rai and Aya because they don't do much outside of their (merely okay) character arcs, but at least I cared about them while said arcs were happening. With Kyosuke and Excellen I've been lukewarm on them the entire time through OG1 and OG2 because they have some cool/funny lines every now and then but that's all they do. Then they started to hog the spotlight and it was all downhill from there.

I think it comes down to first impressions. First impressions are strong, and the first time you play through OG1 you will clearly think better of one side rather than the other. Both routes are very different storylines early on and the other half of the OG1 cast seems to clash with the rest of the story you've been reading until then. While Ryuse's route features classic super robot anime antics and character arcs with a group of douchey teens learning to work together as a team. Kyosuke's route in general has more appeal to western gamers, with less focus on character arcs and more on fighting uphill both ways with janky mechs piloted by a cast who specialize in sick burns. Then the routes converge and you get stuck with a bunch of characters who seem like they don't belong in the game you're playing.

When you have to make your choice at the beginning of GBA OG1 you can pretty much tell which one is for you just from the character designs of Ryusei and Kyosuke alone.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

That would require suffering through Advance, and I'd rather get run over by a runaway freight train before doing that.

To say nothing about suffering through A Portable. :suicide:

I could go over those, because for some reason I really like A and A Portable and I've beaten them twice each. That's basically the same game four times. :smithicide:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That last scene is why, even though I forgot about generic dickbags like Siebel after my first playthrough, Thomas stuck to memory. The guy is genre-savvy enough to know this is going to end badly for the DC and bails, denying you the satisfaction of doing him in.

I kept waiting for him to show up again during all of OG2 and OGG but he wasn't dumb enough to join any of the bad guy factions. I wanted Ryoto to have his revenge. :argh:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Voting to give the Valsion Kai to Garnet in Ryusei's route and Russel in Kyosuke's.

I don't dislike this middle chunk of the game per se, but I'm glad that we're starting the third arc of OG1 at last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I miss Masaki bumming Ryusei out by nonchalantly pointing out the secret of the R-Series units was obvious.

I seriously really liked those two lines.

• Locked thread