Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Well, he's not a Newtype Psychodriver, and doesn't have the Genius skill (it was remarked how much better Elzam's evade was than Ryusei or Kyosuke's, and that skill is pretty much the entire reason why), so he can only be so good. Within those confines he's pretty solid I suppose? He's a natural born sniper and you can get good mileage out of him as long as you use him that way, although I'm not a big fan of his mech options for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Gosh, Rai gets Genius? Huh, clearly been way too long since I played any OG games. My bad, clearly underestimating the lad.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Sanger is basically a giant weeaboo. He's a German who likes to pretend to be a samurai in his giant robot.

That's pretty much how I looked at Sanger even without Atlus reinforcing the idea, yeah.

Honestly I feel like Bullet can get away with being boring because his real role in things is to be the butt of jokes for Excellen /test subject for Kusuha's home cooking, so him being quirky and interesting on his own would just diminish from that.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Well by the end of OG1 it was pretty clear that there was only one way the OG series could end. They, after all, got the power of love.

Although the interesting question is how OG will ultimately interact with Z.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Tempestas Leo posted:

I'm pretty sure I read something about Rand, Setsuko and Crowe were not going to be added to OG games but then again I could be wrong.

That doesn't surprise me one bit. Given the nature of Z, having those originals pop up in OG would be silly because you could instead have the entire universes cross over. not that that's necessarily how it'll work, perhaps OGs is just cutting itself off at a point to keep things manageable! But it's a thought I had.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Y'know, by all rights Sean should be bothersome with his continual sexual harassment, but somehow he managed to pull off seeming more or less harmless about it. Dunno what it is. I guess maybe because he just uses it to wrap up actual good advice for the novice captain and you fully believe he'd deck anyone who ACTUALLY gave Lefina a hard time. It's weird.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Digital Jello posted:

I got the impression Sean wasn't being pervy so much as he was just messing around. This game's whole cast has their personality quirks, after all.

Definitely. It's just weird that they manage to convey that so effectively; it's hard to pull off "says really perverted poo poo but is actually just loving with people" usually.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also seriously, goddamn Octosquad. Can 4th OG have a Katina route just to focus on them? They're great.

That's silly, Banpresto can only count to three. If they have to divide 2nd Super Robot Wars OG into five games and make five gaiden games, the series will end with 3rd OG.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Meaning that at present, accounting for Original Generations being actually two games pretending to be "1st Original Generation", we have ten entries in the trilogy and the third part hasn't even been announced.

... maybe painting video games red makes them count as three time more game than other games?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Super Robot Wars Original Generations is like Kingdom Hearts. At some point it will hit the third game, but before that it must have a ridiculous amount of spinoff games.

Only KH3 has actually been announced, nobody knows anything about 3rdOG, just about the ridiculous amount of spinoffs (there's...two Endless Frontiers, four Lord of Elementals, Gaiden, Dark Prison, the fighting game...am I missing anything?)

And much like Kingdom Hearts, there's no way to tell without playing them which games are actually spinoff titles and which are main titles named like a spinoff title.

There's also Masaki, Kyosuke, and Ryusei appearing in Another Century's R, unless that's what you mean by 'the fighting game'. At least, given how Banpresto usually handles these matters I assume it's, nonsensically, part of the canon.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Honestly considering just what we've seen so far of the EFA, it's surprising that anyone, including our heroes, didn't defect to the DC side. Granted the DC also threw people like Tenzan at us which certainly suggests they're somehow worse, but most of the EFA forces didn't see that.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Given Ryusei is supposed to be the most anime of heroes, I figure he's just doing the thing where he considers friends to be the most importantest thing in the whole wide world so of course he'll make sacrifices for friends that most people would only do for their children. Similarly, he presumably just thinks that Kusuha thinks of him in a similar light because he's entirely too goony to get what relationships are and why a girl might consider him suitable for one. Although in fairness I dunno what a girl would see in Ryusei at the start of the game either. I mean sure, if he keeps on going like he has been, that'd make sense, but the Ryusei we see in mission 2? Dude, what.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Good point. Any guy who's not shy about loving his momma's gotta have something going for him.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

We might generously suppose that since the Hagane is meant as a Deep Space exploration vessel it's equipped to go at measurable-fractions-of-light speeds and deal with possible space debris it'd run into in regions away from gravitational sources or something, so it'd be pretty well armored and all. Even though we actually know they probably meant "well it goes into SPACE so it must be super-air tight that means it's really well protected from air pressure!"

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Rorahusky posted:

I remember murdering my way through a lot of the missions in OG2 thanks to Masaki and his redonkulous post-movement Psyflash MAP. Most MAP weapons typically require you to use from a stationary position, but Cybuster's can be used on the go, making him good at softening up targets early or finishing off weakened enemies.

Now if only his accuracy were better. Good hit rates aren't exactly Masaki's thing if I recall correctly.

I definitely recall Strike being a must on Cyflash, at least in the GBA games. From the LP so far I don't think OGs changed THAT much.

Pretty much always worth it of course. Cyflash is the best thing. Actually in general while the Wild Raubtier is a viable endgame unit for its dodge-tanking and general untouchableness against mook swarms, Cybuster is the first big gun you really get for Ryusei. Not the last (I think the next is in, what, two maps in fact?) but definitely the first.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

CaptainRat posted:

Mazinger/Getter/Gundam is the popular conception of the foundation of the genre, but I would argue that Combattler/Voltes are almost as important, and those are both 5-seaters. It'd be out of place in OG1, sure, but the series long ago passed the point of "realistic" and "plausible" and having a bunch of the 2nd/3rd-tier scrub pilots combining into some weird multi-pilot Gespent combination is no weirder than the fact that those pilots are still around.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Realistic and plausible never really were on the table to begin with.

Its just that none of the OG originals have that sort of 5+ man team dynamic good enough for a big old combiner. And the 2nd/3rd tier scrubs arent that interesting to begin with, quantity not amounting to Quality and all that.

I'm getting the image of Katina, raging at her endless snubbing for the biggest and best units, bludgeoning the Octo Squad into welding all their Gespents to the Giganscudo now. It can't manveuver except in space, but damned if spamming 10 machine guns doesn't kill some poo poo with every pilot getting Katina's Hot Blood spam.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Man, even when you're trying to be cool guy you're a complete dork Bullet.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

In fairness we're talking about the same military that made Hans Webber a Lieutenant Colonel. I'm pretty sure their policy for court martial has got to be along the lines of "eh, just send them into absurdly dangerous combat missions until they die". Considering Katina was assigned to a ship scheduled to leave the solar system, they probably assumed she'd kill herself off trying to shoot down Pluto or something.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Honestly I find Katina and Bullet (and Tasuku too for that matter) very benchable, at least in the GBA OG1. Katina's probably a better fit for the Giganscudo than anyone else available right now realistically (facetanking and gaining will off whiffs do suit that thing), but I generally don't find the Gigan itself very good. Useful enough for this stage of the game, but by midgame there's better stuff that doesn't suffer its accuracy and will-dependency issues. The Mk. II I've never given a fair shake, although I don't doubt it's pretty good overall.

Not that it really matters. If the OG2 portion of this game is anything like the GBA version, Bullet will get plenty of chances to shine there anyway so he can be a supporting character this time really.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

In other words: Never assume anything in media has been spoiled to the point of being perfectly common knowledge.

Although somewhat ironically, the more obscure something is the less likely you are to spoil someone I find; you're more likely to have an audience that is fully familiar with the work. Still, it's just a courtesy; we're about 30% through the first game, that video is set 80% through the second game, and every single aspect of it spoils stuff that happens at some point during said second game. Best to spoiler it.

That said, video is great and I appreciate the link!

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fot me it is the lack of vocaloid singing.

In which case, you're looking for the anime version, no? (The second OG anime that is, so waaaay ahead of where we are, link behind tag) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5MbHE_-vbQ

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

This was the problem I had with Ryusei's route in general in the GBA version. You spend most of the first half of the game with a mook squad, and when you finally get the signature mechs, they're... okay. So you just spend the whole time leaning on Cybuster and the Grungust basically. Going into that after doing Kyosuke's route and getting the Alt and Weiss so quickly made it feel like you were stuck with the junior squad. Doesn't help that overall Ryusei's route feels like it has harder overall maps and nastier boss mechs.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Welp, he didn't get thrown out an airlock, buuuuuuuuuuut evil was verily smote. I'll take it.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I really like the added conversation with Irm. Having a reason why the presumed non-mustache twirlers in the Federation would go alone with what could easily be 'mass enslavement of the human race' sells Bian's motives a lot better to me.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Man, this map did a number on me in the GBA games. I think I lost everyone but the Hiryu and excellen driving off Sanger, so at the end it was Weiss sitting outside Maier's range plinking him with Oxtongue E, relying on the 5 EN natural regents to stave off death and carry the day.

I might be bad at this is what I'm saying.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

And by the end that should be amended to 'The Entire Cast'. Well, except Masaki I guess, he is not actually a federation soldier, contractor, or even citizen so while the Feds would probably love to get the Cybuster and figure out what makes it work they don't actually hold any authority over Masaki himself. Be all "Arrest that man" "Sir he came from like Atlantis or some poo poo, we can only arrest him if we can catch him." "Then catch him, where was he headed?" "Antarctica". But being Masaki he's actually in the australian outback and the Feds never found him again.

Granted what Katina does here goes from "oh oops we ordered the pilot to do something stupid (like shoot down an ally for no discernible reason) and they suffered sudden com malfunction/mechanical failure/etc" to ordering her entire squadron, in defiance of direct and repeated orders, into enemy fire. Sure, both would probably get you dishonorable discharge/the firing squad in a real military, but the first is sensible for dramatic reasons and punishing characters for doing the right thing too much is just dumb. This stunt is... a bit much without SOME reaction.
I mean, a day in the brig is all I ask here. Something.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

And Katina's a Marvel.

They really made the AI dumber in the remake? That seems counter to the way things are supposed to be.

I think basically OGs used AI closer to J and a few other games, where the AI would prioritize hitting something way above dealing any damage, so instead of firing at Latooni all day on 0% odds (but occasionally hitting a weaker dodger and OHKOing them) they'll popshot the Giganscudo for hours for 10 damage and not much else.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Pffttt, ahahah, really? That's amazing. I know the two extremes in the GBA games wasn't quite working but "attack the first dude we see" in a game where really tanky units are about 1:1 with units that attack at super close range? That was not the solution they were looking for.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

it's a fun thing to think about really. Given her age, Bian was probably designing the Valsion when Lune was like 10 or something, so you can see her walking in, running away scared from the thing, and Bian going "it's okay sweetie we can make a cute one" and it's all adorable.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Considering Excellen starts at "a shower (with me <3)" and manages to escalate from there, I've taken to assuming they've been boffing off screen since about mission 8 and pretending otherwise in public is Kyosuke a) being all stoic badass but more importantly b) his way of teasing her back.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This extends into other games like Namco x Capcom where you have Thinly Veiled Knockoff Kyosuke and Thinly Veiled Knockoff Excellen running around because they love those characters so much.

I dunno, dull as Reiji and Xiaomu are as a unit, I can forgive quite a lot for things like the last attack she has here (about 2:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gywVAH68edg

I have to admit though, I'm definitely on the opposite side of a lot of the thread here. I was ready to pitch Ryusei out a window for a lot of OG1, and he's still the best SRX team member because he can also be endearing in his dorkiness, unlike the piles of meh that are Rai and Aya. He's a lot better in OGs here, with his most groan-worthy scenes altered or removed, but I don't get the impression many people in the thread played OGs instead of the GBA games so I dunno where that comes from. Alpha maybe? It's definitely a new experience for me.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Onmi posted:

Ryusei, Rai and Aya have the benefit of having actual character arcs, so even if they're insufferable when you meet them, they mostly aren't by the time they're done. There is no such benefit to the ATX team, even in their own game Excellen and Kyosuke are always the same dudes. And yeah sure, they're shtick is funny and they get some cool moments, but we're now at OG2nd, and it's not changed, this is ignoring that they had 3 games to themselves in the Compact 2 series/Impact. Over 100 stages... and they're the exact same dudes.

And they cannibalize other OG characters plot arcs, AND they have enough derivatives to have a game starring nothing but Kyosuke and Excellen expies.

In short, it's easy to see why people don't like them.

I'd still disagree on Rai and Aya. Their trouble isn't that they are unlikable, it's that they're boring. And their character development works against them there, because they have the sort of character development where they're losing irregular traits in favor of being more balanced and functional individuals, ie becoming more boring. Rai in particular suffers here; his reasons for going against his family and his clash with Elzam ultimately make him look like an rear end in a top hat because he's pretty much wrong, yes, but his prickliness gives him glimmers of character drama without which he's just a boring competent guy. Ultimately by the end of this game Rai and Aya mostly exist because Ryusei not having someone to balance him out starts to look really freaking implausible. Ryusei himself as previously noted I find myself liking in OGs here, because he is much more relateable while still retaining his goony traits and his character arc. It's worth pointing out that a lot of what put me off of him in the GBA games, his interactions with Kusuha and various others early on, are character traits that weren't carried over into OG2 despite no clear resolution and have largely been written out entirely in OGs, which leads me to believe the writers didn't like his more chauvinistic streak either.

Back to the ATX squad... I don't really get a mindset where characters being comparable to their original portrayal is some huge black mark. Especially since to my understanding Compact 2/Impact are generally poorly played among SRW fans and the attitude towards them in general is "everything good about them went into OG, just play that". Beyond that, static characters are a legit writing technique, and in this case it's meant to highlight that Kyosuke and Excellen are the 'adults' of the main cast (due to anime, this means they're like 4 years older, but the principle is the same). It's fine if that bothers you, but again it's not something I can see so many people holding against them.

So I guess it's the other two points. The cannibalization... hard to talk about, both because I'm not directly familiar with many non-OG SRWs and because none of that has happened yet and I don't want to talk about stuff that happens halfway or more into OG2. People bitching about the expies meanwhile... eh. Reiji/Xiaomu are pretty lame aside from the really out there anime antics which are good for some sight gags, as previously noted. Anyone calling Haken and Kaguya straight rips of Kyosuke/Excellen meanwhile are frankly wrong and aren't paying nearly as much attention as they should be if they want to whine about the characters.

So basically the dislike for the ATX team (... outside Bullet. Bullet is a lamer and I don't want anyone to think I'm arguing otherwise) comes down to a LOT of outside context information/expectations, while dislike for the SRX team is for a bunch of poo poo that happens in the game this LP's game is based on. So you'll understand if I've never run into people who dislike ATX/hype SRX in numbers like are in the thread here.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

While I get they wanted to keep Z its own thing, I'm still a little sad we're not getting these crazy crossover references anymore. They were fun.

Given what we've seen of Banpresto in recent years, there's most likely three games remaining in the OG line, possibly another if they stick in another Gaiden: 2OG2, then two 3OG games. Given what they have and have not covered, and the nature of SRWZ, there's two core possibilities for how they'll proceed.

1) An intermediate game where the Z-verse and OG-verse interact briefly before the Z verse self contains again, before culminating in the Alpha 3 finale.
2) Alpha 3's finale happens in OG3-1, seemingly ending the series... only for the universe to crash and lead into the Z-verse crossover.

Not that these are iron clad possibilities or anything, but I'd put money on either of those outcomes, while being skeptical of other theories on how these things wind up.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Wounded Land posted:

OG is already Z-like enough as it is setting-wise, adapting Z into OG would be kinda redundant.

More than that, Z is already about crazy infinite parallel universe shenanigans. When you have that setup, making OG-verse versions of the characters, rather than just having the Z-verse characters show up (or vice versa) is staggeringly missing the point.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Digital Jello posted:

I'm not sure I get why Tempest suddenly turned into a hypnotic zombie-like state. But it also seems like we're systematically killing off all the major badguys, so we'll be finally seeing the Aerogaters soon.

Suddenly? I'm pretty sure Tempest was always like that.

Definitely one of the disadvantages of OG1 being so... simple, shall we say. We've only been fighting one set of badguys, so by process of elimination we know who we're going to kill from stage to stage after a point. Lacks that sense of "holy crap what new spore of madness can the game throw at me now?!"

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

The Vayyikra looks way too much like Xenogears to me. As in the actual mech, not the game which that mech comes from.

Man I'd kill for Xenogears/Xenosaga in SRW. They've already had Kos-Mos!

Before Z, I put some brainsweat into working out a Xenogears-featured SRW, and it wasn't really very workable. You'd either have to basically derail some other plots and have the heroes fall into a time portal and do nothing but Xenogears for quite a while, or you'd have to skip XG plot and just have the cast show up. There just weren't enough shows that played nice with it.

After Z that just seems silly. gently caress it, two Japans! So on.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Makes sense though. Sort of a recursive justification for why every 'army' in these sorts of stories are a bunch of maladjusted reprobates. What possible strength do they have as a fighting force? Well they're wildly unpredictable! Why do they need to be unpredictable, couldn't they win through better discipline or skill? No, the enemy has the COMBAT DATA. They can predict everything a REGULAR soldier would do!

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

The impression I got after the fact was that OG1 is an original plot left to its own devices to fill up a whole game, while OG2 is actually a regular SRW.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

Look I like the gameplay of the Endless Saga games, and they have neat crossover and cameo elements...but they are shamelessly fanservicey and unrepentant about this. There is simply no escaping this fact.

I would counter that they are less fanservice-y than most of the SRW games (or at least the one's I've played) in a way. OG1 here for instance simply has fanservice at random intervals because that is what is done. Endless Frontier has fanservice because... it realizes how goddamned gratuitous the fanservice is in SRW games, and wants to poke fun at it. It's sufficiently exaggerated to scan as satire, at least for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

(Ryusei will never return anyone's feelings because the SRX with a Love bonus is just a shade too far)

Even though logically the SRX should have one at all times due to Ryusei's love FOR the SRX.

• Locked thread