Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I don't know if it's worth mentioning at this point, though we have seen the first instance of it (and it might be worth keeping in mind from this point forwards), Kyosuke's outrageous luck? Unless I'm blind and it was already mentioned.

Ingram and Sanger are the best characters in the series by absolute miles, though neither of them will come into their own for a while yet. Exie probably gets third place... Or Elzam, maybe. Or that one guy with the two cats. Really, the start of this game just spoils you.

And in case people didn't get it from the video title, that Gespenst punch attack is the Jet Magnum, which is an incredibly :black101: sounding name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Seyser Koze posted:

You'd be forgiven for not noticing, given that his mech is about as maneuverable as a beached whale.

He doesn't need it, he's got Snipe and the Hi-Zol Launcher. If anything even gets close to Rai except in SRX, something has gone wrong. He basically functions as a turret. A really long range turret.

This might be more true for OG2, though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AtomikKrab posted:

oh yeah Kai :allears: well all the gods of gespenst really. However the Gespies are really one of the most :black101: mechs out there even with being the kinda generic good guy mechs, the jet punch holds up through the game.

Gespy Kick! is really the best thing. I'm spoilering that because it's really a thing that you need to experience when you don't know it's coming.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Seyser Koze posted:

And their clothing.

Are we talking about Ms. Loveless? She was the one that always got my eyes rolling.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hivac posted:

I stopped caring about Bullet at all after The Best Robot gets permanently destroyed.

Dis Astranagant gets destroyed? :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I could nerd out for hundreds and hundreds of words about how great the Alt is. But I won't. All I'll say is that it's one of my very favourite robots in this series, up there with Dis Astranagant, Cybuster, Dygenguard and Silbelwind. It's way cooler than what Ryusei ends up in and I won't hear any argument to the contrary.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Onmi posted:

I like the alteisen as much as I don't like Kyosuke. I just absolutely hate what it upgrades into. Ugly as sin.

I love it because it's ugly. It's absolutely not what you think of when you think mecha. It's huge and clunky and it needs flight engines on all the time just to stay upright. And yet it's inexplicably potent because Kyosuke just gets it. Nobody else can fly the Alt, it's too weird and clunky for anyone but him. I like it.

And the Shadow-Mirror version owned by Beowulf, I think it's Alt Eisen Nacht? So cool.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tempestas Leo posted:

Well they did in The Inspector and He was a Einst and summoned copies of everyone's mechs IIRC

I think the explanation for that was that in that universe he actually did die outright along with Excellen in the crash, instead of being saved by his Devil's Luck like in this universe, so the Einst "repaired" him and he slowly went nuts because of their voices in his head telling him to purge all life and no Excellen to keep him sane. The Alt Eisen Nacht is sort of like his version of Rein Weissritter in that it's full of wacky Einst technology.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Coolguye posted:

Sanger is growing on me fast.

Good. Gooooood. We aren't even close to Maximum Sanger yet. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I always took the Sean stuff as "Sean knows literally everything and likes to remind Lefina of this on occasion by threatening to embarrass her in public." Like a sort of parental thing. Or was it just my parents that would threaten to show baby pictures of me to my friends when I was being a little poo poo?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I've never actually used Katina... maybe I will on my next runthrough. I tend to gravitate towards the pilots who get the better Spirit commands over anything else, and I find Katina lacking in that regard.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tempestas Leo posted:

Hey Seyser just wondering are the secrets in OG2 just as hard to get in this as they were in the GBA version?

I really hope so. I know there's at least one new one. I really hope there's still the one for going out of your way to defy the game early on. If there is, we definitely need to get it here!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Seyser Koze posted:

You bet your life I'll be doing that one. Three years from now. :shepicide:

It takes so long, but it's so worth it. :allears: I hope you keep track of how many hours/turns it takes you!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Jesus. Leaving something on a single hit point in this game is actually something of a feat.

And holy hell do I love Cosmo Nova. :allears: It looks even better in the animation. It's just a huge multicoloured laser massacre. Can't link it because it spoils the final boss and a load of upcoming mechs. But Cosmo Nova is one of my faves, behind everything Sanger does ever, Ain Soph Aur, and that one attack Excellen has where she moves so fast she looks like she's in three places at once (Oxtongue Rifle... E?).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AradoBalanga posted:

The attack you're thinking of is from [Big OG2 Spoilers].

Oh it's from that? Huh. My memory must be going.

Guess that means I should replay as many of these games as I can get my hands on.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I love this silly space robot soap opera. :allears:

The Valsione is another of my favourite mechs from this game. All the badass Cross Smasher-ing-ness, none of the anime face.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hunter Noventa posted:

Machinery Children. Anyone who's played this or Alpha Gaiden will shudder in the same way we do at Barrelions on hearing that phrase.

Machine Cells in general. :negative:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Viletta Vadim, if I remember right.

Viletta was always one of my favourite characters. I vaguely remember her getting a completely bitchin' pair of sunglasses at one point in the anime.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AradoBalanga posted:

And then OG Gaiden's Free Battle Viewer has the option to force BGMs on battles, meaning the players themselves can override "Trombe!", if they wish.

Yeah, if you have no soul. :colbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, that is one of the reasons I am always pulling for Kyosuke over Ryusei. Ryusei talks and talk and talks, Kyosuke tells someone to shut up and impales them. Man of action.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
What I wouldn't give for a Gilliam/Sanger/Elzam combo attack. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

legoman727 posted:

So, who's ready for the Kyosuke and evil-totally not Kyosuke show? Because oh god OG2. Please take all the not-ATX routes please.

I don't know anything about OG2 but I'm hoping not-Kyosuke means Beowulf because I actually really like him and his freaky weirdness.

I actually like team ATX a lot more than SRX, so maybe I'm a complete weirdo. I don't actually understand why people dislike Kyosuke so much (and refuse to believe anyone could dislike Excellen or Sanger... Bullet is uninspiring at worst). Sure sometimes it feels like him and Tasuku tread on each other's gimmicks a little bit with the luck and gambling metaphors, but I find myself getting much more annoyed at Ryusei. Rai is cool only by association with Elzam, and Aya is merely inoffensive. Viletta has awesome shades.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Gyra_Solune posted:

let us talk instead on which robot has the coolest weapon

my favorites are ones that involve ridiculous amounts of moving parts so my vote will have to go to the R-Gun arranging itself into a giant beam pistol

Everything the Dis Astranagant can do. Z.O. Scythe, Gun Slaves, Emeth Asher, Ain Soph Aur.

And for ridiculous amounts of overkill, Valzacard's Exa Nova Shoot Overdrive.

I'll never not love Sanger's Colossal Blade, though. In all its incarnations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I could've sworn Axel's hair was longer. Ah, well. I get the feeling this is going to turn into a twenty-train pileup of plots very quickly if they've added even more factions in.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Repster posted:

There's at least a dozen factions that have major influence on the plot. Some of those being pretty minor, but still there. It gets kinda crazy, yeah.

I'm only aware of like seven at the most, counting the playable characters as the same "faction", so yeah. Wow.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I like Beowulf. I kind of like Axel. I think the story behind them both is neat. Beowulf's Mark III is amazing. And The Inspectors opening is fantastic, but probably gives away a bit much.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dr Pepper posted:

And here we see the start of Power Creep.

Everybody in OG2 starts with what they ended OG1 with, and you know there will be more upgrades to come.

It is glorious.

Is there a commonly accepted most-powerful robot in SRW canon?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Seyser Koze posted:

Plotwise my guess would probably be Cybuster, which at full strength can rewrite reality so that its enemy never existed.

Isn't that also Dis Astranagant's thing, or am I misremembering what the explanation for what Infinity Cylinder/Ain Soph Aur actually is?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

BlitzBlast posted:

All of the crazier Masoukishin stuff is mostly stuck in OG Saga.

Please tell me they pull a Captain Planet at some point, with Shu inexplicably being Heart.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

GilliamYaeger posted:

Full Possession Cybuster is loving ridiculous. IIRC it was capable of oneshotting the final boss of the game it debuted in.

Not multi-turn shenanigans like the SRX is capable of. Literally doing so much damage with a single attack that the final boss just outright dies.

I actually just looked it up. Holy poo poo that's gorgeous.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Onmi posted:

And so begins OG2s trend of having its bosses run away like little bitches at high HP values you probably can't reach unless you're on a second playthrough (Though Pair up should be able to have handled this)

It's like a fun "how hard can you overkill" challenge!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wodan, you are my spirit animal. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SorataYuy posted:

It's about on par with "Let's all get our throats cut, boys!"

Well, not really, Lee is specifically not including himself in the list of people who should die.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AradoBalanga posted:

HAHAHAHAHA

Buckle up folks. It's finally time for THAT stage.

Oh boy. I've been looking forward to this all LP. This will be magical. :magical:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Onmi posted:

They work well as a world ending threat. Not so much as a main bad guy faction. There's a reason the Shadow Mirrors are working so hard to pull double duty as main antagonists with fingers in every pie AND working the Compact 2 originals in with Axel playing rival and Lemon playing... something related to Excellen. I am... fairly certain there is no Beowulf and Lemon is not "Browning" in Advance. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time they've legacied things.

I don't think you ever "see" Beowulf in Advance, just hear about him and put 2 and 2 together through Axel ranting at Kyosuke, but Lemon is definitely Browning.

I remember because she sounds completely delicious, like some kind of traditional Yorkshire cake.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

CaptainRat posted:

First the tragic death of Elzam between games, now Lamia...truly heart-breaking.

This is definitely a series that's not afraid to kill anyone off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Seyser Koze posted:

Gilliam: "You would know me as... Helios."

AND SO IT BEGINS.

• Locked thread