Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad this is getting LPed, I'm quite a fan of OGs. I tried playing it while watching videos of the GBA version as a sort-of translation, but having a LP as reference in the future should be much handier.

It will be quite the long ordeal even with only OG1, Seyser Koze, so I wish you the best of lucks.

Kyosuke's shocked face when he discovers his cannon is shooting lasers is great, he truly looks shocked as hell. OGs as a whole has some really pretty graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Giado and Garnet as pilots? :v:

Hey, hey, Garnet's really good in OG. I put her on my team, never looked back.

Giado's worthless, though.

Also add me to the Kyosuke/Excellen fan club. I love those two. Their dialogue is usually written extremely well, their mecha is awesome, and both of them are really cool characters. Not the best (because their boss exists, go Sanger), but definitely up there in the OG character scale.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rabidredneck posted:

I've read tips that the basic machineguns are worth keeping throughout the game. They have well-balanced stats and when upgraded can be suprisingly deadly. Granted that was for the GBA version, I don't know anything about the PS2 version.

The M950 machinegun is still useful and worth keeping, the M13 shotgun is awesome and you want as many as you can get. I won't spoil why, but they're far, far better than they were in the GBA games.

Also the T-Link Ripper (and, consequently, its recoloured version later) is a lot less silly here. In the GBA games it looked like it was the size of the Gespenst, which made me really wonder how it was carrying that big of a weapon. I much prefer it here, better sized. Then again, everything is pretty in this game. Not like OG2 wasn't pretty as hell for a GBA game, mind you.

Also Aya's exasperated expression is basically the best way to explain the early SRW team fast.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, Bullet. He thinks Excellen won't pick on him anymore. How naive. How naive indeed.

That said, I really like him, and he's been a main for me in every OG game I've played (which is everything in the GBA and PS2). The ATX interactions are hilarious, and Bullet has his neat character plot that I enjoy. That said, Born to Fight is not his song, it's generic someone else's so he better get his own song soon. Even moreso because that song kicks rear end.

Also there's nothing to say about Sanger, because you'd need words as big as his Colossal Blade to describe just how much of a badass he is. Seriously, dude just storms in and cleaves an alien mecha in two while loudly proclaiming how he's "the sword that smites evil", with a badass BGM playing...and this is the first time he's even using the Grungust Type-0. What a badass. And he only gets better!

And you know what else got better? The Type-0 in comparison to how it looked in OG. In that game the Colossal Blade just...came out of nowhere, just flew into the battle without any real explanation. Here they properly modelled the Type-0 carrying it and I think that's really neat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just wish the Lion had a punching attack. I know its right arm is meant to be a missile launcher, but it looks like a giant arm, fist included. Go punch poo poo, Lion. Be a manly mecha.

Also the only thing this chapter proves is that Tenzan has horrible taste. That's an incredibly ugly colour for your Lion, man.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I uhh...I've beaten both OG1 and OG2, in English so I understood what was going on (I think, anyways), and the whole thing you explained confused the hell out of me. Am I missing something? I always thought this was just the Aerogaters and the beginning of the war against them and whatnot...

Also I can't think of any emoticon more fitting for Shu than :smug: You chose a good one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Ah, Katina and Russel. They are so much more useful than what Ryusei gets, Giado and Garnet (Latooni is her own separate thing). I am willing to say that Giado and Garnet are probably the worst pilots you get in OG1/OGs.

I disagree. Garnet is easily the best supporter in OG1 (OGs debatable, due to a mechanic Seyser Koze hasn't talked about yet which might put Russel above her, though I disagree). She gets extremely useful spirit commands, put her in the Wildraubtier (is this even a spoiler? I don't know...), and she's unmatched in throwing support spirits left and right. I'd put her above Russel (apart from very specific situations that basically need the previously-mentioned mechanic), as well as more than one actual offensive pilot who haven't appeared yet so I won't name.

Giado is totally useless though.

Katina's great, and I wish she got her own custom unit. Nonetheless the games are kind to her, as people said the Giganscudo is a good fit for her, as is a certain pair unit (for her and Russel) in OG Gaiden. Definitely a mainstay of my team in OG1, and if I ever bother to complete Gaiden (the second-to-last scenario of that game is a pain in the rear end I swear...) I'd probably restart and stick her to my team for as long as I can.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

The jets make their move as well. The first one goes for Katina. Having painted her machine red, it now moves at five times the speed of a normal Gespenst, so she'll be fine.

Three times. Painting an unit red makes you go three times faster, not five.

quote:

And on that cheerful note, we're done for today. I may be taking a week or so off to play a game about a cuddly teddy bear on a tropical island, not to mention that the updates are getting longer anyway. We shall see...

That sounds like a happy game in which no one suffers and nothing goes wrong. On the other hand, it's probably lacking in mecha.

Also seriously, goddamn Octosquad. Can 4th OG have a Katina route just to focus on them? They're great.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Super Robot Wars Original Generations is like Kingdom Hearts. At some point it will hit the third game, but before that it must have a ridiculous amount of spinoff games.

Only KH3 has actually been announced, nobody knows anything about 3rdOG, just about the ridiculous amount of spinoffs (there's...two Endless Frontiers, four Lord of Elementals, Gaiden, Dark Prison, the fighting game...am I missing anything?)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

Sooooooo how about them robots? I like the ones with the rocket punches.

I like the ones with Rocket Punches, missiles, chest lasers AND giant swords.

What I'm trying to say is that Sanger is the best and the Grungust Type-0 is the best.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I find that it's more OG1 than anything. I switched no one in OG2 and only like two in OGG, but OG1 has a lot of people that really want other units than their own. Bullet is one of them, definitely. So are Katina and Russel, and Garnet and debatably Latooni, and a lot of others we'll meet sooner or later.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Yep, that's a 6000-plus-damage double-crit with the shotgun. If this had been a counterattack, it would've been over 7000 thanks to Revenge. Katina Shotgun, I think I love you.

We know who the MVP of OGs is, and it's the weapon, not the user.

But nah, Katina's great. Always use Katina. But the Shotgun is even better, and I'd say spending a lot on making the Shotgun strong is probably one of the best uses for money in OGs, especially early on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He's an aggressor. It really should be enough.

That being said at this point what that really entails beyond 'is a goddamn badass' hasn't been told to us.

Though we've been given more than enough proof to say that 'is a goddamn badass' is an absolute part of the job. Sanger, Elzam, Kai...okay, not Tempest, but that's still most of them. Gilliam definitely falls into the "badass" category too, as we'll see later on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This mission is the first one that tends to give me trouble. As said, Tempest and his Guarlion are assholes, not helped by Latooni being stuck in a goddamn Gespenst. I never found the 009 very useful or fitting for Irm either, so this is a mission for me where I have two of the best pilots in the game stuck in units that are either unfitting (009) or unfitting and bad (Gespenst). The light in the tunnel is Ryusei, the Wildraubtier is end-game material and never leaves my team the moment it joins it. It's a super-dodgy and fairly powerful unit and Garnet and Lat can get so much use out of it later (I tend to give it to Garnet, Lat has other good choices). Right now, Ryusei is basically the best in your team mostly because of the Wildraubtier (though he's a great pilot either way).

Also Lat's adorable and great. Not best OG character (Kai exists, and I'm not entirely sure if Elzam counts as Alpha or OG), but definitely up there.

As well...

DC: "Hey Tempest"
Tempest: "HEY I'M TOTALLY KILLING ALL THOSE FEDS"

...is basically how I expect every Tempest conversation to go as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Your use of PP is weird and confusing to me, Seyser Koze. Not going for SP Regen first for everyone is a weird, weird thing...getting terrain ranks when you haven't gotten every skill you need even more. At least for my playstyle.

And let me add another "gently caress Barrelions". Because seriously, those things are really, really annoying.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Elzam says that his family has a motto. Fury can be a source of strength

Oh boy, can it :getin:

This is the first time I see an use for the Gust Lander, I'll have to remember it. To be honest, every time I played OG1 I just stuck with the Wing Gust for movement and the Grungust for fighting (which it does awesomely, hell yeah Grungust). It's like Getter in other games, Getter-2 for movement, Getter-1 for fighting, Getter-3 gets ignored.

Calamity Sword is somewhat more boring in the PS2 version than it was in the GBA one. In the GBA it was summoned from the sky by lightning and it was truly "super", now we learn it was just stored in the Grungust itself, and it's just not as cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

I guess that explains the "There are two stars of calamity..." line when using the similar attack on the Type-2.

I'm pretty sure that's this Grungust, and it's good to finally get an explanation for that random line.

Remember the Keitoragouken is only used by the Type-1, the Type-2's sword is the Keitoshungokuken/Doom Blade.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That said, no matter how horrible her health drinks might be, no matter if they knock out the people that drink them, no matter if they cause trauamtic memories for the rest of their lives, there's no doubt that they work. Just look at how strong Masaki was after one!

Can't complain with results. Make those health drinks equippable items, I'll give one to everyone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The people have spoken: get Bullet out of that Mk-II.

It's what I normally do, too. Bullet is just a really bad match for the Huckebein series in general, he prefers the exact opposite of them. This is probably the worst character-robot matchup you get in OG1.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Son Ryo posted:

Honestly, I'd suggest you do this anyway, because you can't even keep the consolation prize on Ryusei's route so it'd be better to show it off here and get the secret there.

I was going to post this, but since I was beaten to it, I'll just say I fully agree with this statement. If you're going to show off everything, the best thing you can do is miss Viletta's secret in Kyosuke's route and get the second-place price (which is still awesome), since you can get the main secret in both routes but that one only on Kyosuke's.

Also there's one character exclusive to Kyosuke's route that can really use said secret. Otherwise, Bullet gets a lot better with it too.

Also Brian's great. You have to be to keep up with Excellen while flirting as hard as Jonathan. Sad he's anti-war so he never gets a cool robot, I'd field him any day.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's enough concentrated :smug: here to destroy warships. You don't need the Granzon or the Wildschwein, this is a far greater power. Not even the Valsion can compare.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hivac posted:

Garnet. :shepface:

Some may laugh, but this is my MO in every single one of my playthroughs. Making your support character basically invincible (because good luck hitting a flight mode Raubtier) is actually really, really useful.

As such, I also vote for Garnet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I admit, I went the entire update thinking "please show the dynamic kill". And then you did show the dynamic kill of the T-Link Knuckle.

Just check that pose, Ryusei knows how to do this poo poo.

The OG2 version was cooler in my opinion, despite more limited graphics. Can't exactly link to it now, though, it'd be spoilers, but the figure of Ryusei in the background (on fire!) with even his fist on fire and the kanji on hit are things I wish stuck for this version as well. Not like this one's bad, just not as good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

Here's a spoileriffic question about possible future mechs and playable characters for those who've played the game,

Back when this game was first coming out I remember reading that Ryoto and Leona were getting custom mechs since a Lion and Guarlion were kind of underwhelming by the time you got them, was that dropped or is it something that will happen later on or what?

Ryoto will get the Armorlion much later on in OG1, while Leona's Siegerlion won't appear until OG2, if I remember correctly.

Also I just realized how silly it is that we have a character named Leona piloting robots named Lion. It is never alluded to in-game, so it's most likely just a silly coincidence, too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Viletta joins in on the Peregrine beatdown. She's level 16 now, so I've pretty much written off getting her secret on this route.

As you should. Get the Kyosuke-exclusive secret, you can get that secret on the Ryusei route.

Seyser Koze posted:

Enemy phase, and we get some more enemy reinforcements. They arrive just in time to behold a lone Gespenst, hovering amongst a cloud of scattered mech parts and the crystallizing blood of its victims. Truly, on this day, Gilliam taught the colonists fear.

Or they'll just keep attacking. :laugh:.

A Ghost creating many others, I see.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Clearly his special top-secret sword sharpening technique took way longer than he expected.

Hey, when you have to sharpen a sword that's gigantic for giant robot standards, it takes some time. It's time well spent, evil won't smite itself, after all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

Give Katina and Russel the R-Gun and the Giganscudo. They fit them pretty well.

I agree with these votes.

Also I don't remember ever having much trouble with this stage. I had a lot of trouble with Bian though, especially in the GBA. OG was my first strategy game so I played pretty badly, ended up with no one alive but Ryoto in the Wildraubtier (that thing is insanely dodgy). I won, somehow, but it taught me to stop sucking.

Which was what Bian wanted to begin with, so neat gameplay and story integration there!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wounded Land posted:

This is why the squad system is the best idea SRW ever had and taking it out of Z2 was stupid as hell.

This, so much. I hate having to choose who to bench, and Z2 was by far the most painful about it due to the sheer amount of units (not to mention having more series I've watched than any other SRW), and I played Z after it and felt truly surprised that I had no idea who to put to fill squads, since every character I liked and some I didn't were already going to be deployed. It was a truly unique and awesome experience that I desperately miss.

OG1 has few characters though, so you can safely deploy everyone you want and just leave the characters you dislike behind, you won't have any problems. Now OG2 and OGG are far less kind on this due to getting more and more cool characters, you will be forced to leave behind people you'd want on your team at all times, and it's not nice. No idea about 2ndOG (god that is still stupid) since I haven't played it, but I doubt the Pair system (which looks far better than OGs') did enough to fix this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't get how people get to "no one cares about what Ingram did". Robert, Jonathan, Ryusei and Bullet are very clearly not okay with what Ingram did here. Hell, even Rai reacts to the situation. Kusuha, to a point, puts the importance of beating the Aerogaters over her own feelings about the matter, but then shows that she simply can't follow the orders given to her anyways.
The only ones who seem not to care at all are Kyosuke, Excellen (who are good at reacting to weird situations to begin with), Kirk (who cares only about the data he gets), and, oddly enough, Laker, who I'd expect to care more but I guess he just trusts Ingram.

Also that cutscene is awesome even if it makes Ryusei look far worse than Kyosuke. It also makes it far harder to realize that the Alt got a new attack out of all of this, since the GBA version outright showed you the attack instead of a cutscene. I stand by what I said though, it looks awesome and that matters more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For Kyosuke's route, Katina can use the Wildschwein well and she needs something better than a Gespenst anyways. For Ryusei's, might as well give it to Rio so she won't lag behind.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ryoto should be allowed to use his own mech on Ryusei's side. For Kyosuke, I always give the Armorlion to Russel, he can make use of its armour.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Armorlion is hilarious. That loving Boost Kick is so silly, I love it. It's also really useful and definitely an unit that stuck to the endgame on my team in every OGs-1 playthrough I've done.

Also giving Latooni an actually serious appearance instead of having her wear the goth-loli outfit for the rest of the game is a good change. It was impossible to take her seriously, and considering she has some of the most hard-hitting moments of the cast, that was a serious problem. Giving her normal glasses is also a lot better than her silly big glasses from before.

Also also I had no idea about the Bullet dialogue. I don't think I've ever beaten Sanger with anything other than Rampage Ghost. That thing is the best boss killer in the game, leaving the Grungust second.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Montegoraon posted:

The Database from W could be late-game enemies. Their big problem was that they could never hit anything, but with all those status effects on their powerful attacks, if they were in a modern SRW game with dodge decay, they could turn out to be extremely tough.

Who cares about the enemies, they should add W entirely so that Valcazard can break the OG games in half like it broke W. God that thing was broken, and I loved it for it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Well, no time to mess around any longer. On Turn 3 I just have Masaki (one of the only people in range) Valor up and hit him with an Akashic Buster.

Please tell me you didn't actually go with this and casted Alert before attacking. I don't think I could ever have Masaki and his paper-thin Cybuster attack anything with a 78% chance of hitting them.

quote:

Daitetsu is disappointed to hear this, having hoped for something better after all the chaos the Divine Crusaders have caused.

Pfft, this is hilarious. Daitetsu's not angry because Hans betrayed them, he's just disappointed that he had such a lovely, dishonourable, selfish reasoning to do it. It just shows exactly how bad of a person Hans is.

quote:

The Shishioh blade is pretty awesome, by the way, especially considering that it has no morale requirement at all.

It has unique animations for different robots (mostly the Schutzwald), unique calls (Ingram's DEAD END SLASH! comes to mind), high damage and, as you said, no morale requirement. It's also called the LION KING BLADE. I'm pretty sure it's powered by courage. It's as badass as it gets, is what I'm trying to say.

quote:

Tempest: "Vengeance... my vengeance... for vengeance... I swore vengeance..."

Hey, it's Tempest's entire character in one line!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

An update! Wow! Wow wow wow! Wow?

RIP Tenzan, you were a dick to the end. Also another thing I didn't know, that last Ryusei dialogue with him. Instead I remember the normal Tenzan death by heart simply because of how hilarious it is. He really is the player. Level grind to conquer the world indeed.

Also about the awesome Valsion Custom...

Ryusei: Garnet, for no real reason.
Kyosuke: Katina, who I usually give it to.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't believe there's people who couldn't tell Ingram was evil. I could tell Ingram was evil, watching someone else play, with literally no knowledge of mecha anime (Super Robot Wars got me into mecha anime, not the other way around). This game is really, really unsubtle.

Also I think that removing the Ryusei/Bullet scene is actually a bad thing. It showed just how high tensions got because Ryusei's childhood friend/Bullet's crush got kidnapped, and they needed to take that anger off on someone. It was very Gundam, and considering both are piloting units that are most definitely not the Zeta Gundam and a generic Gundam design respectively...

Also also the ATX manga oh my god. That "WHAT THE HELL" Ryusei face is just channeling Ryoma so much, I love it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ingram's R-Gun Rivale in the original OG is the biggest loving dick move I swear to god. The game expects you to beat him to get that sweet, sweet skill point, which is stupidly hard, all the while he mocks you and you can't even say "but I'm kicking your rear end" like you would to most villains because you're likely not. Even if you are, good loving luck taking out his HP before he runs away.

OGs makes it quite a bit easier. The Twin system allows you to deal far more damage in one round than before, so using the right Twins can make it less of an issue (though it's still very much an issue), to the point that I'd say a mission in the future is quite a bit harder for entirely different reasons. But all in its due time. For now, good job, Seyser Koze.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Gilliam comments that it's an odd coincidence that all the original Aggressors should happen to be here, and now.

Proof that no one gives a gently caress about Tempest.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't help but love Kyosuke for stopping a fight with the R-Gun Rivale here. The rest was also badass, but man, it's such a nice thing to not have to fight that piece of poo poo unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While it is clear and true that the Grungust Unit 2 is meant to go to Bullet, I always give it to Kai. There's simply no good Gespenst for him in this game (and only this game, thankfully), and not using him is far worse than using him in a non-Gespenst, so the Grungust works well to give him something to use so he can kick rear end and take names alongside his Aggressor friends.

• Locked thread