Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Aya who designed your space suit, why do they not know that those have to be like...airtight and as such having cleavage and thigh openings will not be good protection in space?

Also ahh, Garnet and Giado. They have one of my favorite themes in the game and it's never showing up again in future games. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Broken Loose posted:

It should also be noted that Zankantou means "ship-chopping sword." Colossal Blade is a really good translation and also way more appropriate, unless we're gonna start calling the game Supaa Roboto Taisen and use the word kougeki instead of attack.

Or given that 'anti-ship sword' is an actual name for big swords in Gundam it could've been translated as that.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Incidentally for a future grunt-level mech in the making, the Lion is probably one of my favorite OG designs.

It's just such a nice change of pace from nearly everything else we see there. Most other OG mechs are either hyper-paneled overcomplicated Gundam wankery or big flashy colorful toys, but the Lion and its descendants are so simple and swooshy and futuristic.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Katina was my biggest ace in OG1 partly because I planted her in the biggest, hardest-hitting mech in the game, dumped all my money on its final attack, timed Valor right, and pretty much laid waste to bosses...because I had no idea about finer game mechanics and it was the only way I could think of to beat some of the more difficult bosses.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Oh Endless Frontier. Half the fanbase is so intrigued by you, the other half wants to deny it ever existed. It is definitely a strange thing and I wonder why exactly they did it. Part of me is tempted to say it'll tie into Z stuff somehow since it has elements of that scavenger society and rampant black boxes thing that was going on for the Big O and Turn A elements otherwise lacking in OG.

They've been pretty cagey on if Z will even be in OG but as I've said elsewhere, it'd be a great opportunity to reboot and do more concise, refined stuff with the OGverse. It could work well if they have a similar premise to how things went down in Z, only instead of all these universes being various anime places, they're the games all the originals come from. There's even the whole thing where Dark Brain was looking for what sounded an awful lot like Spheres.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I like to imagine all these theme songs as openings to their own shows starring each character, and they all seem like they were meant with that same kind of musical scheme in mind. Most of the songs in the game have very clear melodies where vocals would go for the verse and chorus and have about the same length.

Also Marionette Messiah has a pretty great vocal version.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I am curious: do upgrades and pilot kills carry over into the OG2 segment, or is it treated like two entirely separate games on one disc?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
See when I first got Radha and her mech I thought it meant that each route would get repaints of the others mechs since I'd only played a bit of Ryusei's route, and was wondering for a while who would be piloting the alternate Alt and Weiss, figuring it might've ended up being Garnet and Giado.

...of course then I found out the Schwartzwald was just a slightly better grunt mech so

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I remember this mission so clearly in the GBA original, it was basically the point where I gave up and restarted, convinced I had done something wrong and made the game unwinnable. I knew basically nothing of how the game actually worked so I had been kinda flailing up to this point but yeah, I continually ended up this mission with Tempest just annihilating everyone who didn't cast Sense so inevitably it was just Ryusei vs him with still 10000-odd HP left.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I'm pretty sure most of these voice actors are people who've like, been in robot animes before and work with Banpresto periodically, and given that this is the most robot anime ever the VAs probably have a pretty drat good idea of what's going on with so much skimming the script.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
In the OGverse, really, there's such a huge variety of machines with such varying function that the real dividing line between a real and a super is...well, whether it looks like one. Of course there's some that straddle the line. The Huckebeins are unarguably more Gundam than many actual Gundams but the very last Hucky is basically every fanfiction mary sue mech to the point where I refuse to believe it doesn't invoke that on purpose.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Shaezerus posted:

I hope we get an eventual LP of OGs2 just so everyone at large can "appreciate" the Clusterfuckebein in all its Do Not Steal glory.

I do like its previous unupgraded form, though, it's one of the most effective patchwork mechs yet is so stylish in how it just looks like it has superweapons hastily bolted on it. Sadly it then gets cleaned up and upgraded and loses a lot of its charm.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the problem, however, with the Grungust is that it clearly uses anime magic to transform and that is UNACCEPTABLE to me

Like, the head just stretches out really far to become the Wing Gust's nosecone and the legs just sort of flatten into wings

The Perfect Change Grungust looks incredibly awkward as a result

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Son Ryo posted:

I don't use Irm that much because he seems so unconnected from the rest of the plot. He has his stuff with his dad and Ring Mao that's basically all in the past and unimportant to the main plot, and he has one minor thing in OG2 that didn't interest me much, but aside from that he really doesn't feel like he fits in that much around the rest of the cast-- I honestly can't think of any other pilots who are specifically friends with him and get their own scenes together.

On top of that, the Grungust is very definitely much more like Daitarn 3 than it is Getter, down to the tank forms serving similar functions as I mentioned earlier.

This is why I wish the other 4/F people would show up, especially since two of the ones we haven't seen invented the Jet Magnum and Gespenst Kick and another is basically Noriko Takaya. It pretty much doesn't matter what they show up in, make up random Gespensts or Grungusts or hell, something completely new and unexpected. We don't have an OG equivalent for an Evangelion or pretty much any of the big combining robots (seriously there's like two things I can think of with three pilots in them and that's as high as it goes) so there's a good start.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Rigged Death Trap posted:

iirc there is no type-specific defense/skills to supreme typed attacks.Also it might pierce barriers/have some special defense interaction.

Its reserved for big assed attacks/attacks that dont really fit in a typing like Metal destroyer or the alts special ace in the hole.

I still think something like that should stick around, especially since it seems most SRWs nowadays give units a big fire with everything then melee finish attack that should qualify as a middle ground between ranged and melee. Like that amazing one the Nu Gundam has in Z2.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Ryoga posted:

Gilliam and Viletta may be awesome spies, but they still can't hold a candle to Gido Zero Four who is literally anime James Bond. Dude's theme song is even named 'License to kill'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpfbGxELnME (possible Masoukishin F spoilers)

It's a shame he's stuck in the Masoukishin games.

Yesssss this guy looks awesome. :allears:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
To be fair Katina's a better pilot for most mechs than the actual people that get them.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Ryusei's route has the better story, but Kyosuke's route has the better cast.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
And so Kyosuke was indeed a bad enough dude to rescue the president.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I think that'd be useful in an SRW game that had equippable weapon mechanics like OG, since that's an interesting thing that's not all that utilized for somewhat obvious reasons.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I guess I will need to read the FFVII thread.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Let's vote for Ryoto just to be different. Pilots wackily out of their canon mechs is always fun since OG1 is one of the only games that really lets you freely do that.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

GilliamYaeger posted:

Well, I've been playing through L lately and the ability to pair up the entire cast at the start of a mission does wonders for everyone's usability. Its no squad system, but it works well enough.

How is L anyways? I never hear much words about it. I've finished the LP of W which looks awesome and I know people complain about all of the things in K but I know very little about L.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
On a previous topic, yeah I kind of like the DS games' animation quality even if the actual art isn't as hi-def. I wish UX had kind of stuck with that style instead, it has its charms.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

MarsDragon posted:

Seriously? It has been way too long since I played Alpha, then. Hopefully they'll get the translation out this year so I have an excuse to replay it.

Oh they're working on a translation? That's pretty neat. I ought to play it indeed.

It does look kinda weird though, like, Amuro shows up with the old RX-78 after the first episode of Zeta's already happened, and Sleggar's there for some reason, then the Macross stuff doesn't even get started until a third in the game and it takes another third for even Noriko in her little Machine Weapon to make an appearance. But it seems intriguing!

And yeah, googling 'srw r-2' immediately gives me mostly pictures of its moderate upgrade which is by far its more recognizable appearance and not really that big of a deal story-wise. It's a spoiler in the same sense that 'Kamille from Zeta Gundam ends up piloting the Zeta Gundam' is. ...in fact that's probably a bigger one considering he just kind of randomly draws the robot then doesn't mention it again and like twenty episodes later they're like MERRY CHRISTMAS HERE'S YOUR NEW GUNDAM

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I always thought the whole Love Love Attack thing was because of Impact and how G Gundam was in that game too and it's a nod to them.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

GilliamYaeger posted:

It'd probably have Code Geass in it too, since Lelouch's mother was by all accounts a super ace pilot.

The Getter Robo manga would be another thing they could stick in - Getter Robo Ah features Ryouma's son. Or simply Getter Robo Armageddon if they're lazy.

Kotetsushin Jeeg.

Gun X Sword, so you can see Mexican GaoGaiGar in its prime.

Possibly Godannar too if they run with that theory that Anna's father is an older Kouji Kabuto that changed his name.

Dancouga Nova, with Aoi being explicitly Shinobu's daughter.

Deus Machina Demonbane is another thing they could stick in if they use the prequel novels where Old Man Hadou fights Master Therion with a barely working Demonbane. And wins.

Maybe throw in Gurren Lagann too so we can have the holy trinity of overpowered mecha in the finale.

VOTOMs sticks Chirico in cold storage for a while, so that can be used too.

UC Gundam could work quite well if it goes something like ZZ Gundam > Hathaway's Flash > Crossbone Gundam, since Judau shows up in Crossbone as an old man.

Gunbuster/Diebuster.

SDF Macross, Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.

Technically Valvrave would work since the cast ends up as immortal ageless memory vampires and wouldn't age the whole time. They'd be hella irrelevant by the end but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Latooni's the real main character of OGs.

I mean, if you excise all the people that made their debut in other games, the series becomes entirely about The School and some Earth Federation politics

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ImpAtom posted:

There are several character in later OG games who either get plot-devoured into being more Excellen/Kyosuke or have direct references to them. One of the most extreme is a character from Real Robot Regement who literally pilots a combined Alt Eisen/Weissritter and gets a combo attack with Kyosuke.

I thought the Flickerei was indeed a thing from the game she originally came in? I imagine the combo attack is just a thing they wanted to throw in since, well, we have two revolving stakes and that's like a signature thing now so why not? I kind of wish there were a lot more of those slightly out of left field combo attacks, like, say, Katina and Russel pulling something off.

Seyser Koze posted:

i like it when the robot blows up the other robot

also boobs but we mostly have to wait until endless frontier for that :v:

oh god are you actually going to do that game

like i figured you'd probably do Gaiden since OGs has the first third of that game packed in already but

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

SorataYuy posted:

I think the real issue that these characters being argued over isn't the characters themselves. It's that they have all been slammed together from several differing games and plotlines, thus we get this huge jumbled mess (frankly, I've always been a bit in awe that it's anywhere near as coherent as it is to begin with), and as a sad, sad result, quite a few characters get short-changed in the writing department. Want to blame someone? Blame the writers. Blame copyright laws that left us with just these eviscerated, gutted stories and plotlines. But don't blame the characters. That's like blaming Spiderman for fuckin' One More Day, instead of Joe "I hate Redheads and happy marriages!" Quesadilla.

I mean that's literally what Super Robot Wars is - the main premise of OGs is 'what if the originals from our other games were their own shows, and we made a game about them'. Everyone here is from games where things are slammed together with the exception of, as said, Latooni and like, Katina and Russel, so there's no reason aside from handling crossover that they should be written here or there.

That said there are indeed weird decisions, like Bullet and Kusuha basically switching roles, and more prominently (next game spoilers) basically the entirety of Axel Almer, they fixed him for OGs but even then wtf

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Digital Jello posted:

I'm not sure I get why Tempest suddenly turned into a hypnotic zombie-like state.

GEIM system is pretty much the OG version of the Psycho Gundam stuff, it's all mentally linked and stuff but in a cheapo fast-burning extremely dangerous way so when things go wrong their brains go haywire. It's a pretty standard anime brainwashing thing.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Wounded Land posted:

Man, Crimea never gets a break, does it?

I'd forgotten how much I like "Psychic Energy," but Aya's pilot suit... :facepalm: (And I still can't stand the radio intro they put on "Silver Lucifer")

Psychic Energy actually wasn't originally Aya's theme! Way back in Shin SRW it was actually used as a map theme. But it does fit her pretty good!

Speaking of Shin, here, have the version of Raideen the Brave that ultimately was not used in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GldA26Es_vg Gee, I wonder why.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
That unit is one that bothers my need for perfect transformation. How does it even work, how does like an entire robot fold up and fit inside each other's midsections, how

anime magic, the bane of cool robot toys the world over

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Getter Robo is hilarious because despite being so blatantly anime magic and literally having an in-universe reason why they can do that, there have been multiple toys that don't care. And they're coming out with a true perfect Shin Getter too!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
For both bad and good.

It's hella stylish and fun and animated well but also a considerable amount of resources seem to have been invested in detailed anatomy of nipples visible through clothing on boobs that move in such a way as to be a candidate for the elusive perpetual motion machine

What I'm saying is that it's Gravion Gaiden. ...Although if actual OG Gaiden gets an animated thing that'd be kinda cool and it has a robot Obari made in it already!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Ashram posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Z3DIbrtR0
This basicly made Kusuha a favourite of mine. Silly, I know but I can't help it.

I never knew this but yessss :allears:

We need more of this Banpresto.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I choose to believe that's a reference to Misato's hat.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Seyser Koze posted:

but unlike the heroes from a couple of other recent LPs, he at least knows when he's screwed up.

whichever LPs might these be?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Well, given the matter, its possible what Excellen was meant to see is something related to that factor that makes her immune to it. Depends on if they directly brain-analyzed the peeps on the fly or if they'd set the three up in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
The structural integrity of the SRX is slightly dubious in my opinion, but I'd have to see like, a perfect transformation model to really get how it works. I do find it amusing that the Plus parts for the R-2 and R-3 end up...the arms and legs, so technically, they could combine without them...it's just that the robot would just be a torso. :v:

And I do sincerely hope they let the Banpreios be decombined for the next OGs, I look forward to seeing how they'd pull that off. It's interesting engineering the series has, even if the results do look just a bit doofy.

• Locked thread