Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

MassRafTer posted:

I've never really thought about it but what are the requirements to truly 100% the entire game? All silver and gold medals?
Is it even possible to get all silver medals? Like some of them in the Mach Speed sections, I'm almost certain the game would actively prevent you from getting them because it doesn't work, and you can't break these sections with ludicrous powers.

When I watched other LPs of this game, I was like "feh that jungle level can't be that bad, they're just terrible at it", one of my main reasons for trying it myself: how much is player incompetence, how much is the game?

Turns out it's 100% the latter. I got lost in new and exciting ways! The level really is so stupidly laid out that a character who can float almost everywhere vertically and horizontally gets colossally lost. A masterpiece. It's meant to show off what Silver can do - and to be fair, it gives you a lot of ways to play around with psychokinesis - but it runs into the old two problems:
a) the physics engine is barely working while you are walking places, no way it can do complex levitation and throwing-objects puzzles
b) the designers are utterly inept at, you know, designing.

By the by, that one death you had with the robot spawning in the cubicle with you? Happened to me. It's consistent. Why? Well, there are these plates on the ground you can lift up to unveil caches of goodies. But alas! Some of them are trapped! This is where the robot is coming from - you're supposed to uncork the cache, and suddenly robot whoooops. But you can only uncork if you're on top of the plate. So you'll be on top of the robot. Also, for some arcane reason, the plate respawns all the time - like immediately after you lose sight of the original. So you uncorked, fell, the plate went out of sight and immediately respawned on top of you, trapping you. With a robot which then glitched through it standing up.

And another thing: I think the machine guns are one of the few actually good ideas the game has, as I have never liked the lose ALL your rings paradigm, as there's no difference between having one and having 99. An attack that takes them off one at a time, but rapidly, is imho a good way to make the actual number relevant.

Of course, that all falls apart if you happen to have no rings. Which all other attacks cause to happen. And some missions. Oh yes, some missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

MassRafTer posted:

I've never really thought about it but what are the requirements to truly 100% the entire game? All silver and gold medals?

The Gold Medalist achievement seems to require you to get S-ranks on all levels in normal and hard mode AND S ranks in all town missions, AND all silver medals. That seems like 100% to me.

According to that tracking site, 307 XBox players who they track have achieved this. Who knows how many untracked players there are...

Yes, the crazy is far more prolific than you'd want to imagine.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

And another thing: I think the machine guns are one of the few actually good ideas the game has, as I have never liked the lose ALL your rings paradigm, as there's no difference between having one and having 99. An attack that takes them off one at a time, but rapidly, is imho a good way to make the actual number relevant.

The issue with the ping-y machine guns that I have, is that while different attacks taking off different amounts of rings might make sense, the real rational behind it here is that the bullets are borderline undodgeable, especially if they come from off screen. Unless you jump wildly away when you hear the takataka start going off (and let me tell you about jumping wildly in this game...) you WILL get hit.

Attacks that require precognition to avoid reliably are bad design, and the good design they have here is to mask this bad design.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, don't get me wrong - only the idea is good, but the execution is (surprise surprise) absolutely terrible and they didn't think about it for one second.

Thing is, good idea, bad execution is something many games do. Sonic 06 is outstanding there - mostly it has loving awful ideas and executes them even worse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong - only the idea is good, but the execution is (surprise surprise) absolutely terrible and they didn't think about it for one second.

Thing is, good idea, bad execution is something many games do. Sonic 06 is outstanding there - mostly it has loving awful ideas and executes them even worse.

It's definitely the start of a good idea. In many of these levels it's easy to just grab one ring and not bother collecting more, so it'd be logical to have an enemy to punish you for that. They just designed the worst enemy for this task and put them in situations where not only can't you avoid getting hit but you won't be able to see where you are hit from, so such encounters and deaths will quickly become frustrating.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
I just finished watching through the videos. Brave men, you two.

Also, am I the only one bugged by the fact that Princess Iblis gets a suntan on her legs only but stays pasty white face/arms in non-cutscenes? (8:50 or so in video 3 as an example) It's... like one of those things you'd swear they'd catch but they just couldn't be bothered with a walking animation for the Princess so they grabbed someone else's legs for those scenes or something.

Anyway, good luck with keeping your sanity going forward. Alternately, if that's not appealing to you, Hulkamatt, I recommend talking about apples.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Torokasi posted:

I just finished watching through the videos. Brave men, you two.

Also, am I the only one bugged by the fact that Princess Iblis gets a suntan on her legs only but stays pasty white face/arms in non-cutscenes? (8:50 or so in video 3 as an example) It's... like one of those things you'd swear they'd catch but they just couldn't be bothered with a walking animation for the Princess so they grabbed someone else's legs for those scenes or something.

Anyway, good luck with keeping your sanity going forward. Alternately, if that's not appealing to you, Hulkamatt, I recommend talking about apples.

Stockings. The models are actually pretty low quality for a PS3 game, so they just made her legs orange.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Instead of the big issues with this game, I'd like to point out a small one.

Check out any of the minigames. Look at the HUD.

You can't collect any rings in (most of?) the minigames. Of course the game keeps showing how many rings you have. You have none, so '000' keeps blinking in red. The entire 5 minutes of boring minigame. It's very distracting.

E: Okay, let's look at this in a positive way. At least it doesn't have Zelda's low health bleeping sound.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm bothered by the fact that Silver's telekinesis can grab all sorts of environmental things that sort of make sense (apples, cars, debris chunks, missiles, etc) but half the time he's instead grabbing... just boxes. Yeah. There's... boxes there. That makes sense.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

GSD posted:

Blaze is indeed from Sonic Rush.

'S'matter of fact I'm reasonably sure she's from BOTH Sonic Rush games (there was a second Sonic Rush game. It wasn't great), where she was from an alternate dimension and no one talked about Iblis Triggers or bestiality at all.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ZeeToo posted:

I'm bothered by the fact that Silver's telekinesis can grab all sorts of environmental things that sort of make sense (apples, cars, debris chunks, missiles, etc) but half the time he's instead grabbing... just boxes. Yeah. There's... boxes there. That makes sense.

Boxes are a universal native lifeform of Video Games.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here's a bonus video of my favorite glitch run, Silver in Tropical Jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIg5WV4E9Y

You can complete the level basically just by doing the water hopping and sphere grab glitches which makes for a weird looking video. I also decided to play around with the glitch after by sending Silver into space and showing off another glitch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr. Buttass posted:

'S'matter of fact I'm reasonably sure she's from BOTH Sonic Rush games (there was a second Sonic Rush game. It wasn't great), where she was from an alternate dimension and no one talked about Iblis Triggers or bestiality at all.

Yeah. I donno if '06 Blaze is a reboot or this dimension's version of Rush's Blaze (who was that dimension's version of Sonic so if so things would get weird) but either way they're not the same person.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Here's a bonus video of my favorite glitch run, Silver in Tropical Jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIg5WV4E9Y

You can complete the level basically just by doing the water hopping and sphere grab glitches which makes for a weird looking video. I also decided to play around with the glitch after by sending Silver into space and showing off another glitch.

All I want to know now is if you can travel to the sun and what size it is.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I like how when you tap the button to extend your glide, it looks like Silver is flapping his arms to try and stay in the air.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

geri_khan posted:

I like how when you tap the button to extend your glide, it looks like Silver is flapping his arms to try and stay in the air.

All I want is a Silver Flappy Bird clone.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
You know, about that Apple Mini-game...turns out that there's a glitch that makes S-Ranking it a whole lot easier! From Gamefaqs...

quote:

S-rank (Glitched Way):
Get at least 50 Apples in the barrels to complete the mission objective, then kill yourself by jumping off the side of the bridge[...]You die loosing all your Apple Points, but since the objective is met the mission still ranks you. The game glitches and says you did the mission in under a second and rewards you more than enough Time Bonus points for an S-rank.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Fionordequester posted:

You know, about that Apple Mini-game...turns out that there's a glitch that makes S-Ranking it a whole lot easier! From Gamefaqs...

:psyboom:

So really, the only way to win the game, or rather the minigame, is not to play. That's effing amazing.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Mr. Soop posted:

:psyboom:

So really, the only way to win the game, or rather the minigame, is not to play. That's effing amazing.

Well, I'm not sure I'd say that...the guide seemed to believe that the normal way is possible...just, this way was way, WAY, WAY easier :mmmhmm:!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fionordequester posted:

Thank you, this information will be quite useful!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

You voted for Sonic so let's get back to the blue blur. We've got dogs to find, children to make squeal (Sonic is a sick pedophile,) captains to find and Knuckles!

Part 7 (Knuckles!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH6qj2RnJdM

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2014

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm not sure if I haven't noticed it so far, or if it's because my headset is slowly dying, but is it intentional that one of you is on the left audio channel and one on the right?

EDIT: Apart from that, it's telling that what would otherwise be one of the worst side missions in any game (running all over the town finding assholes) is one of the sole well-working ones in this. I mean, the "run all over" mission is kind of inevitable in a pseudo-open world game, to familiarize the player with the city's layout, but it's never fun; same here, but at least it functions.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 24, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is the camera during that child catching minigame supposed to make you motion sick as an extra challenge? It's jumping all over the place.

E: I don't know much about the Sonic franchise, why does Knuckles have lego bricks on his shoes?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 24, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
That's not the mission camera, the game just does that.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
you didn't show off how characters glitch the gently caress out if you stand on the curb of a sidewalk, voted 1

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"I don't think Eggman will honor his agreement!" Thank you, Tails.

"I'd better watch out for this water, it's wet!" -- Tails, Whale Beach Zone, 2012

"Oh, I get it! Your name is Sonic because you're loud, like sound!" -- Tails, Carnival Nights Zone, 1994

"Careful, Sonic! Lava is hot, and will burn you because of its high temperature!" -- Tails, Volcanic Lava Zone, 2012

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

"Look at all those Eggman's robots!" -- Tails, Ocean Palace, 2003

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
"Hey, it transformed! Did you see that?" -- Tails, Egg Carrier, 1999

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

You know, Tails has some nice quotes, but you know who's really memorable?

"Is that so? Then it will be a date to die for." -- Shadow, 2004, Ocean Palace

"drat!" -- Shadow, 2005, Everywhere

"Yes Doctor, you will regret ever having created me... you're going straight to hell!" -- Shadow, 2005, Eggman's Base

"Maria!" -- Shadow, 2001, ARK

"I see. But you know, I can't let you live. Your adventuring days are coming to an end." -- Shadow, 2001, ARK

"Faker?! I think YOU'RE the fake hedgehog around here. YOU'RE comparing yourself to ME?! Ha! You're not even good enough to be my fake!" -- Shadow, 2001, White Jungle

"Shadow... ANDROID? Am... I... an android... TOO!?" -- Shadow, 2005, Eggman's Base

"I am Shadow the Hedgehog. I and only I know what is best. No one can tell me what to do. This is WHO I AM." -- Shadow, 2005, Meteor

"I'm Shadow... the Hedgehog. I was created to bring order and justice to the humans. With the power of these Emeralds, I'm going to destroy this drat planet! This is WHO I AM." -- Shadow, 2005, Meteor

"I'm Shadow the Hedgehog, the Ultimate Life Form born to rule all. With the power of these Emeralds, I'm going to conquer the universe. This is WHO I AM." -- Shadow, 2005, Meteor

"What's wrong with me?" -- Shadow, 2004, Sonic Heroes

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think this line is really memorable to anyone who played this game.

"It's no use!" -- Silver, Soleanna 2006

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Smiling hurts my face, but when I hurt YOUR face I'll smile. Which is really just hurting myself. Cool." -- Emo demon, Sonic Lost World

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Where is that drat fourth Chaos Emerald!?" Shadow, Shadow the Hedgehog.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"We have to stop that bandwagon, or Eggman will destroy the thread!" -- Shadow, Train Level (Something Awful Forums), 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Simply Simon posted:

I'm not sure if I haven't noticed it so far, or if it's because my headset is slowly dying, but is it intentional that one of you is on the left audio channel and one on the right?

EDIT: Apart from that, it's telling that what would otherwise be one of the worst side missions in any game (running all over the town finding assholes) is one of the sole well-working ones in this. I mean, the "run all over" mission is kind of inevitable in a pseudo-open world game, to familiarize the player with the city's layout, but it's never fun; same here, but at least it functions.

I had a shitload of trouble with this set of recordings. There was some invisible corruption during Crisis City which led to so many problems. Eventually we managed to get it to work up to that point so as I edited the video I was secretly dreading having to play Sonic's Story up to that point again. I guess I forgot to blend the channels, it'll be fixed in the next video.

Good news for anyone who likes lots of deaths in their Sonic 06, I replayed the game at 4 AM last night and played like poo poo! The new playthroughs of Crisis City and Volcano Town are half quality playthrough half dying because you can't remember how Sonic 06 works.

I'm also slightly surprised the script got made fun of now. I thought I might have posted the wrong video because Tails has an incredibly stupid line after Shadow Moses Island.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fionordequester posted:

You all knew this was coming. Let's S Rank The Apple Festival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvfDlKsYuQM

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Beautifully done. :golfclap:

But really, this game is not just tearing at the seams, it's ripping and spewing. Just how deep does the glitch rabbit hole go?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

How do you like them apples?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

How do you like them apples?

They're to die for.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

MassRafTer posted:

It's the growing tone of desperation and misery in your voice as you ask why anyone is playing or watching this that is the reason why I watch Sonic '06 LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

MassRafTer posted:

Silver: NOOOOOOOOO!!!

"Yes, Silver. It's true. :unsmith:"

I nearly loving spewed my soda into my laptop. This LP just keeps getting better with every video. :allears:

• Locked thread