Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Powershift posted:

I drove a hummer H3 with the i5, It seemed to be idling too low, and the vibration it transfered through the steering wheel would make your hands numb if you gripped it hard.

Functioning as intended.

That's just how they idle. It's very difficult to make a 5 cylinder, 4 stroke engine idle smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That stupid five cylinder was the gas mileage of a six with the power of a four.

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You know... As much as I hate to even remotely recommend it....

Mini van? Hauls a stupid amount of poo poo, decent on fuel. But then the whole off road thing would be limiting too.

I actually have a minivan that I have used for this work occasionally. It does haul a lot, but the gas goes from okay to horrible as soon as I load it with my tools. I imagine a newer, better one could do better but I don't -need- as much space as a minivan provides, either; I could do fine with a compact SUV or Wagon really, I'm looking at trucks primarily because of the added benifits of a lumber rack and something with enough ground clearance to take off the beaten path occasionally.

Extra posted:

Not so much a minivan but 25-30mpg and 4wd. Wild guess says it can't carry much of anything though.

Honestly I'd love that. I could make that amount of space work, and it'd be fun as hell off road.

...it's even the color combo I'd want o.o

meatpimp posted:

Who said mid-'90s Toyota?

I've actually considered chopping the roof off the minivan I mentioned having. The thing is a junker that I'm going to scrap so I figured it'd be fun to do one last huzzah desert drive in it with the roof cut off before trashing it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why don't you use the roof bars to build a little lumber rack?

If you're really as cash-strapped as you say, I don't see how replacing your minivan is going to be the best application of resources.

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005
Well, the minivan has electrical issues up the rear end, has a malfunctioning computer, and has over 2k miles on it. It'll lock and unlock the power locks every five seconds while driving, the alarm goes off without warning or provocation. I have to fool the computer into resetting to get it to pass CA's smog check. And it gets about 10 mpg. I have used it for work maybe twice in the last year because of all these issues: right now I'm using my daily driver beater toyota corolla.

And yeah I'm cash strapped but I'm talking about figuring out what car I want to buy next, researching it, and then saving up to buy one. I'm thinking I'll be buying in six months to a year, not right now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just remember, any used car you purchase comes with its own broken poo poo and random things dying.

Doors randomly locking and unlocking sounds like a wire (or just yank the fuse and enjoy some manual locking) and the computer sounds like you have something setting a code. And with the dismal milage I'd place bets on an O2 sensor or something simple.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

The 2.4 liter 2RZ-FE 4cyl in the 2wd Tacomas is a reliable and efficient little engine. My 5-speed extra cab get about 23 in town, and has been as high as 28 on the highway. But I think if you want a 4 door Taco you're stuck with the Pre-Runners and 4wd models, which all come with the 3RZ-FE (2.7l). The 3RZ is also a perfectly serviceable little engine, though not quite as fuel-efficient when coupled with the heavier 4wd frame and running gear. Both engines are sufficiently peppy in a lightly loaded truck, but once you dump 1000lbs of stuff in the back it will require dropping into 4th or 3rd to climb a long steep mountain grade.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Spiffness posted:

"Its the Toyota -Pickup-"

Someone in here had the sister to Pickup, the Toyota "Van". I think it was minivanmegafun

ajcz
Aug 27, 2009
Why the hate on the canyon? I've got an 05 with the inline 5 no issues with it yet other than the low/rough idle, and that was fied by throttle body cleaning. 4x4, 22mpg and plenty of power for everything I've needed it to do.

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Just remember, any used car you purchase comes with its own broken poo poo and random things dying.

Yeah I'm prepared for that. Every car I've ever driven has been a total junker. $3k-$5k buys a Maserati by my standards.

murphle posted:

The 2.4 liter 2RZ-FE 4cyl in the 2wd Tacomas is a reliable and efficient little engine. My 5-speed extra cab get about 23 in town, and has been as high as 28 on the highway. But I think if you want a 4 door Taco you're stuck with the Pre-Runners and 4wd models, which all come with the 3RZ-FE (2.7l).

I don't -need- 4 doors, it'd just be nice. A 2wd extra cab sounds just fine. 4wd capability would also be nice but it's by no means required.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Someone in here had the sister to Pickup, the Toyota "Van". I think it was minivanmegafun

They had to call it the Van because the Japanese name (Toyota MasterAce) is not exactly a winner in the US.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They had to call it the Van because the Japanese name (Toyota MasterAce) is not exactly a winner in the US.

The germans liked it though!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Was that the one with the KKK turbo?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They wanted to use "Vanwagon" iirc but ran into trouble with VW. Best Japanese van names though are the Isuzu Fargo and Nissan Homy.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

First gen Toyota Tundras are coming down in price, cheaper than Tacomas around here.

I feel like you could get a lot more use, and be more comfortable in a mid size truck with the work you're doing. They were also available with a v6/mantran for better fuel mileage, but I've only ever seen those with a single cab. My 00 4wd v8 extended cab can get 19 mpg if I'm real easy on it.

for example

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I am going to look at an '01 Ranger with 122k miles 4x4, FX4 level 2, for 5k tomorrow.

I want to use it to go hunting, camping, and to work on my rentals properties and stuff like that. Not as a daily driver (I know the gas milage is bad)

Does anyone have any experience with a truck like this? It will see some rough dirt roads at least 10 weekends a year so I need 4x4 for sure. The FX4 package was not a big concern but the price is pretty good I think. I am sure I can resell it if I do not like it.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Good deal?

edit

I bought it so if this was a horrible decision don't tell me hah

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 18, 2014

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005

angryrobots posted:

I feel like you could get a lot more use, and be more comfortable in a mid size truck with the work you're doing.

Can you explain why? Don't mistake this for being facetious; I just always feel like anything bigger than a 4x4 Ranger/S10 size would be more vehicle than I need. I have driven/rode in various sized trucks and pretty much everything bigger than a Ranger always feels huge to me. Maybe it's because I'm not a physically huge guy: despite the fact that my shoulder to hip ratio is similar to Brock Samson's, I'm only about 5'7.

Maybe I should just post exactly what gear I need to haul around so that you all can better advise me on what vehicle can do it best. I've got three tool boxes/bags, each about 30lbs, a 4 foot ladder, a small (maybe 2' x 15") shop vac, and then a tool bucket that is full of poo poo like roller covers and sand paper that only weighs about 5lbs. That's the stuff that I carry -every day-, in addition to a hydraulic jack, a full size spare, misc car things like a jug of oil/funnel/small drain pan/jumper cables/etc. Currently I do all this in a comedically beat to poo poo Toyota Corolla (I'll post pictures when it's light out, it's pretty hilarious actually). Maybe four times a year I'll need to ratchet a 4x8 sheet of plywood or a handful of shelf boards or something like that to the roof. On a somewhat less frequent occasion I'll need to ratchet a large box containing a disassembled furniture item to the roof. I feel like my actual tools can pretty easily fit into a small pickup truck's bed with room to spare for the poo poo I'd normally haul on the roof, but I could of course be wrong.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I just know I use mine to capacity, and a ranger wouldn't cut it for me, and I'm not even working out of it. The usable back seat is endlessly handy too. I used to DD a ranger; the difference in hauling space is significant.

If I was spending 5k on a truck to work out of, I'd want the one that can do the most for me, that's all.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Please buy this: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4576289931.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CaptainFuzychin posted:

Well, the minivan has electrical issues up the rear end, has a malfunctioning computer, and has over 2k miles on it. It'll lock and unlock the power locks every five seconds while driving, the alarm goes off without warning or provocation. I have to fool the computer into resetting to get it to pass CA's smog check. And it gets about 10 mpg. I have used it for work maybe twice in the last year because of all these issues: right now I'm using my daily driver beater toyota corolla.

And yeah I'm cash strapped but I'm talking about figuring out what car I want to buy next, researching it, and then saving up to buy one. I'm thinking I'll be buying in six months to a year, not right now.

What is the year/make/model of your minivan? Your best bet is probably just getting it fixed, if you've never owned a truck before it's going to suck in comparison ride wise, I'd rather drive a minivan all day long.

[edit] also this thread will probably be gassed soon so get all your questions out quick :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

[edit] also this thread will probably be gassed soon so get all your questions out quick :v:

I'm surprised it's been around for as long as it has, already.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

That sounds suspiciously like a gas chamber challenge.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have no idea what that is, care to enlighten me?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

I have no idea what that is, care to enlighten me?

You must be new here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=55

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

From that:

SAclopedia posted:

As per today, it appears that just pointing out that someone made the challenge also may get you probated.
If you're smart, you'll avoid anything gas chamber related in your posts.

Keyword smart. :shepface:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I don't post in GBS so maybe that's why I've never heard of it.

Also looks like most of it went on in 2004, that was before my time, old timer :corsair:

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005

Done. Thread is over.

leica posted:

What is the year/make/model of your minivan? Your best bet is probably just getting it fixed, if you've never owned a truck before it's going to suck in comparison ride wise, I'd rather drive a minivan all day long.

It's a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. But it's so not worth fixing: it has over 200k miles, has problems with every electrical system in it, and has blown air bags from a fender bender a few years back. I'm going to junk it or gift it to a friend who has no car.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm :f5:ing this thread becuase I am also in the market for a small truck so thanks!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The jeep comanche checks off all your boxes except MPG. But jeep comanches are really sweet.

You could also do all that stuff with a subaru wagon...

The bonus of a wagon or SUV over a truck is dry storage. You don't have to worry about someone nicking your tools out of the bed.

I have a 50lb tool bag, 20lb recovery gear bag, full size spare, etc etc and I can still fit a couch in the thing and nearly shut the door.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only bad thing about a van is that you can't have bulk materials dumped into the bed by a loader like rocks, sand, mulch, floor dry.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CaptainFuzychin posted:

It's a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. But it's so not worth fixing: it has over 200k miles, has problems with every electrical system in it, and has blown air bags from a fender bender a few years back. I'm going to junk it or gift it to a friend who has no car.

I'd get another Caravan or an HHR panel if you can afford one.

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005
^^^
The primary reason I'm staying away from vans is that ideally I'd like something that at least has a decent amount of ground clearance for when I go camping. I like to go pretty far out into the wilderness sometimes: I usually am on hard packed dirt roads so I don't desperately need 4wd but I do want something that won't eat poo poo every time I go over a hole in the ground.

Slow is Fast posted:

The jeep comanche checks off all your boxes except MPG. But jeep comanches are really sweet.

You could also do all that stuff with a subaru wagon...

The bonus of a wagon or SUV over a truck is dry storage. You don't have to worry about someone nicking your tools out of the bed.

Yeah tool theft is something I've thought about too. I figured if I went with a pickup then I'd either get a big rear end tool box that I can drop my tool bags into (like one of the ones that runs down one side, the full length of the bed), or get a cap/bed cover. The one problem with the cap or bed cover idea is the same problem as this;

Elephanthead posted:

The only bad thing about a van is that you can't have bulk materials dumped into the bed by a loader like rocks, sand, mulch, floor dry.

Or even just the general "I can't casually throw large items in the back and lash them down" benefit. But yeah, there's -tons- of reasons why an SUV/Wagon would be good, particularly regarding my camping hobby and theft deterrence. I actually really like the Outback wagons, but everything I've heard says Subaru cars are expensive though, and in some cases require more work than toyotas etc. Thoughts?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

CaptainFuzychin posted:

^^^
The primary reason I'm staying away from vans is that ideally I'd like something that at least has a decent amount of ground clearance for when I go camping. I like to go pretty far out into the wilderness sometimes: I usually am on hard packed dirt roads so I don't desperately need 4wd but I do want something that won't eat poo poo every time I go over a hole in the ground.

Yeah tool theft is something I've thought about too. I figured if I went with a pickup then I'd either get a big rear end tool box that I can drop my tool bags into (like one of the ones that runs down one side, the full length of the bed), or get a cap/bed cover. The one problem with the cap or bed cover idea is the same problem as this;

Or even just the general "I can't casually throw large items in the back and lash them down" benefit. But yeah, there's -tons- of reasons why an SUV/Wagon would be good, particularly regarding my camping hobby and theft deterrence. I actually really like the Outback wagons, but everything I've heard says Subaru cars are expensive though, and in some cases require more work than toyotas etc. Thoughts?

An astro van would probably work nicely for you. They are relatively cheap. They have a peppy v6 in them. They are AWD (maybe 4 wheel drive versions too, i dunno), and you can lift and wheel them if you want. You can take out the back seats and even fit large things like motorcycles in them. There is entire forums devoted to making them off road and adventure-mobiles. Google and search youtube for forums and videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFaZXo2KL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwTehMeo-8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhpFpjP0D84

lol video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI-oYQgr1uk

http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewforum.php?f=21

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 25, 2014

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005
So I was briefly considering a diesel, so I looked around on ebay. Search is over:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...=US_Cars_Trucks

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

CaptainFuzychin posted:

So I was briefly considering a diesel, so I looked around on ebay. Search is over:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...=US_Cars_Trucks

20k miles on an 86 with a speedometer that only goes to 99k then rolls over. Sure...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ramsus posted:

20k miles on an 86 with a speedometer that only goes to 99k then rolls over. Sure...

OTOH, is it even possible to kill a Detroit Diesel?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

The army can ruin anything.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They don't go very fast and lack power, but they are pretty economical. Guess that's why they just kinda go on and on.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Fucknag posted:

OTOH, is it even possible to kill a Detroit Diesel?

Is it possible not to kill one should be the question. If the block doesn't split then the crank will break in half. Yes, the cranks break in half. Because Chevy.

Some quick thoughts on small trucks:

Ranger: Old ones are all bad. New ones are dumb because your choice is between the gutless 4 or the uneconomical 6.

S10: Old ones handle well, and the 2.8L is a decent enough motor after '86 when Chevy fixed the bearing issues. The new ones are worthless for the same reason as a newer ranger (poor engine choices)

Mazda: New ones are a Ranger, so see above. The old ones have an amazing frame (solid rails) but a horrible suspension and drivetrain. All the frame capacity in the world does you no good with an 88hp engine).

Toyota: There is a reason they are the ubiquitous tradesman truck. They are annoying to work on (very tight engine bay, very tight transmission tunnel, everything is hard to get to) but they run forever (mine just rolled over 220K) and parts for them are dirt cheap and easy to find worldwide. Get the 4, not the 6.

Vans: I dislike an open van. It takes forever to heat or cool, and your cab always smells like whatever you've been hauling around. A truck with a topper on it is much more useful.

tl;dr: buy a later 22RE pickup or a 2RZ Taco. Go 2wd with a canopy and ladder rack. You don't want to have to lift your tools up into a 4x4 bed every day. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Unload My Head posted:

S10: Old ones handle well, and the 2.8L is a decent enough motor after '86 when Chevy fixed the bearing issues. The new ones are worthless for the same reason as a newer ranger (poor engine choices)

I'm gonna defend the 4.3 here, it's a fantastic engine choice... because it makes SBC swaps a piece of cake.

Are you listening, OP? :colbert:

• Locked thread