Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
It is the 1980s. An era where the fashion and culture of young people are in full bloom.

Blue Blazes (Aoi Honoo) is a currently airing drama adaption of a manga by Kazuhiko Shimamoto (Blazing Transfer Student, Skull Man), written and directed by Fukuda Yuichi (The Hero Yoshihiko, Hentai Kamen, etc). It’s an autobiographic manga about Shimamoto’s college days in Osaka Arts University, where he met and interacted with people like Hideaki Anno, a good deal of members of GAINAX and other future anime personalities.

The series is being subbed by Over-Time.

Main Characters:

Moyuru Honoo (Yuya Yagira): Main character. Wants to become a manga artist. Except when he wants to become an animator. He's also in the badminton club. (Kazuhiko Shimamoto appears as the bike shop guy in episode 11)

Tonko Morinaga (Mizuki Yamamoto): Third year, manager of badminton club. Has a thing for Honoo.

Kishimoto (Yosuke Omizu) and Takahashi (Osamu Adachi): Friends of Honoo

Tsuda Hiromi (Yuina Kuroshima) Another girl from the badminton club.

Takami Akai (Tomoya Nakamura) Future member of Gainax board of directors, creator of "Princess Maker". (The real Takami Akai cameos as the bath house manager in episode 10)

Hiroyuki Yamaga (Muro Tsuyoshi): Future director of "The Wings of Honneamise", president of Gainax. He cant draw, so he intends to be a producer. (The real Hiroyuki Yamaga cameos as the bartender in episode 7)

Hideaki Anno (Ken Yasuda): Future director of "Neon Genesis Evangelion". Usually wearing a Color Timer, and tends to act like Ultraman.

Others:

Masahiko Minami: Future president of BONES. Another of Honoo's classmates.

Kentaro Yano: Debuted with "Super Soldier Armpit", known primarily for "I'm not a Cat!". That Yano, he is A CHAR. Played by Kenji Urai (Daguva from Masked Rider Kuuga)

Mad Holy: Editor at Shueisha. Based on real-life Shueisha editor and Fist of the North Star co-creator Nobuhiko Horie. Played by Jiro Sato (the Buddha from Yoshihiko)

Yasuhiro Takeda: Future Director of Gainax (LTD) board. He dresses like he is the #1 in Japan. (The real Yasuhiro Takeda cameos as the driving instructor in episode 7)

Toshio Okada: Future (original) president of Gainax LLC. Also known as "The Otaking". (The real Toshio Okada appears as Osamu Tezuka in episode 11)

Kazumi Amano: Beauty, later marries Toshio Okada.

FortMax fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, okay, so this show is based on Shimamoto's latest comic, which is semi autobiographical, but does that mean Moeyo and Hoero Pen are also semi-autobiographical, or is he just using the same self-insert character because he really likes the name, or what?

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Watched the first episode last night and loved it. If the best part wasn't how dramatic the main character is. It would be that Anno is the villain. :argh:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

That and the fact char's theme plays very time Yano is on screen make this one of my favorite things to happen this season. Everything about this show is super enjoyable.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Just to be sure, this has nothing to do with BlazBlue, correct?

:v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haven't watched anything yet but this looks amazing and Anno being the bad guy is incredibly fitting.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Episode 3 was probably the single best and most accurate depiction of the college experience. "Hmm, well, I've got plenty of time to do this." *Day before project is due* "Umm, this is taking much longer than anticipated. gently caress it."

Shut up, Getter is starting.

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This show is really great.

I wish someone would post gifs/webms of the reaction faces because they are what takes this show to another level.

Hell, there's a guy thats literally a walking char reference that takes every opportunity to point out what a lovely mangaka/amuro the protag is.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Subs are out for episodes 4 and 5.

Episode 5 introduces Mad Holy (based on Nobuhiko Horie, editor and co-creator of Fist of the North Star, and played by Jiro "Yoshihiko's Buddha" Sato)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He certainly looks like a guy who would be involved with Fist of the North Star.

Anno acting like Ultraman is the best drat thing and I hope he was actually like that.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope he was actually like that.

Was?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm slightly disappointed that this thread isn't literally looking over the Brygar opening frame-by-frame.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Sadly, my BETA player is in the shop and I can't get the precision needed.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Episode 6 is out, and has some messages from various anime and manga creators featured and mentioned in the show.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Y'know, what guy's idea of hospitality ISN'T showing someone Mobile Suit Gundam for 7 hours? Not someone I'd like to visit, no doubt.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

13 episodes is only four hours or so anyway.
He gave her some coffee milk too, guys basically the perfect host.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 7 Wanted to say something amusing and/or clever about this episode, but all I can think about now is the guy in the hat's horrific teeth. It might be all I ever think about again.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This show is a wonderful gem of over the top entertainment that everyone should see.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Worth commenting that Episode 7 features cameos by Gainax's Yasuhiro Takeda and Hiroyuki Yamaga in the flesh. I don't remember if it was Otaking or Fukuda who mentioned it over twitter, but they were originally gonna have Shimamoto show up as the driver instructor instead of Takeda.

We also have the fictional Takeda pimping a magnificent outfit.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Damnit, I can watch this show forever.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Episode 8 is out.

Information on Okada (provided by Ignis):
The Hachioji Seminar House was used for the exterior shots of Otaking's house. Otaking says his house wasn't that outrageous looking. The bits about the deers, the nuclear shelter and the elevator are all true, though. The elevator was installed by his dad because his mom had a herniated disc. And they really did make their money from making ripoffs of Lacoste, Musingwear and Palmer clothing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

FortMax posted:

Episode 8 is out.

Information on Okada (provided by Ignis):
The Hachioji Seminar House was used for the exterior shots of Otaking's house. Otaking says his house wasn't that outrageous looking. The bits about the deers, the nuclear shelter and the elevator are all true, though. The elevator was installed by his dad because his mom had a herniated disc. And they really did make their money from making ripoffs of Lacoste, Musingwear and Palmer clothing.

Man, Japan in the 80s. What a place.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I love how Akai is always blown away by people offering him wisdom.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I feel like I know the inside of Honoo's mouth much better than I need too.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
For that matter, his nostrils too.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
I am super thrilled on how well the series has turned out. I am hoping it will get officially streamed on Crunchyroll along with Insufficient Direction. Hopefully this can be a gateway for the manga to get translated to English! Just too much good stuff!

Does anybody know how many episodes it is going to be? I know the DVD/BR set it coming out in November?
13 ep or 24?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

There's only two episodes left, the show is slated for eleven episodes. Five episodes in the bluray/DVDs will include extended scenes (aka the "Director's Cut" episodes).

Also, Crunchyroll does have Insufficient Direction (just the manga, though).

Shimamoto was at a german con this weekend, and an anon on /a/ got to ask him some questions about the show:

quote:

Shimamoto was at a con last weekend, i asked him that quesiton and he said almost no one has actually commented on their portrayal.
But the future President of Gainax, Yamaga(that guy that can't draw himself and wants Anno to be his meal ticket) was also at the con and he loves it, though he thinks the actor looks nothing like him, but the personality is spot on.
Also the scene where he had hiccups and then passed out due to stopping breathing actually happened almost exactly as it was shown in the series.

quote:

actually i asked him that as well [are Tonko and Tsuda real?]
he was kinda depressed(as a joke), so while he did had female friends back in the days, they were never so close to him as they would come to his room. The only reason why he made it for the manga like this is because he thought guys wouldn't like reading a sausagefest series

Ignis fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 17, 2014

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
The editors continually escalating antics with the phone slay me. In fact pretty much everything he does :clint:

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

Ignis posted:

There's only two episodes left, the show is slated for eleven episodes. Five episodes in the bluray/DVDs will include extended scenes (aka the "Director's Cut" episodes).

Also, Crunchyroll does have Insufficient Direction (just the manga, though).

True...true, but it would be awesome if they are able to video stream both Blue Blazes and Insufficient Direction.

I think there was/is a group scanlating the manga version for Blue Blazes ?

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Is is just me, or was the on-set projection of the Daicon III animation in episode 10 from an actual film print? It looked MUCH clearer than the old telecine used when it wasn't part of an on-set shot.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'd been looking for place to discuss this underrated show. I saw a few photo sets and I started a few weeks into the season but this is (probably) the first JDrama I watched completely. TBH, I thought 75% was over the top exaggerations based off IRL people but now IDK what to say...

I'm a little sad it's only 12 episodes and the manga isn't scanlated (yet). I didn't recognize all the names apart from the companies but all the title screens helped me out.

Reminds me of another series where I did read/watch Bakuman but it started dragging on so I quit. The 20-30 min episode length is ideal for me because the usual hour or longer I start to become impatient.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

ep 10 sub is out.

Anno vs Akai bath scene was hilarious and random.

Also the Real Akai in drag as the bath lady is wow just wow!

Speculation if Anno will show up in a cameo.. I would be surprised but you never know with this series!

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
The Notenki Memoirs: Studio Gainax And The Men Who Created Evangelion

This has a bunch of stuff about the history of GAINAX, including stuff portrayed in Blue Blazes.

Yes, Yamaga did have hiccups when he, Anno and Akai met with Yamada, and he did pass out from holding his breath too long.
Yes, Okada actually was bent on replacing the Ideon mark with a pussy. And yes, Kazumi did talk him out of it by saying a poo poo-eating contest would leave just as much impact.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FortMax posted:

The Notenki Memoirs: Studio Gainax And The Men Who Created Evangelion

This has a bunch of stuff about the history of GAINAX, including stuff portrayed in Blue Blazes.

Yes, Yamaga did have hiccups when he, Anno and Akai met with Yamada, and he did pass out from holding his breath too long.
Yes, Okada actually was bent on replacing the Ideon mark with a pussy. And yes, Kazumi did talk him out of it by saying a poo poo-eating contest would leave just as much impact.

Right, I thought the joke was lost in translation or something there. If only I knew more JP to understand all the other subtle references too.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sorry if this is old and everyone's already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3otoajlC_hQ

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, that owns.

Sucks there's only one episode left, feels like I only found out about this show a couple of weeks ago and now it's almost over.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, that owns.

Sucks there's only one episode left, feels like I only found out about this show a couple of weeks ago and now it's almost over.

At least the manga is still going... I am 5 volumes behind -_-;;

Since the tv series seems to be popular, maybe they will do another season?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

darkgray posted:

Sorry if this is old and everyone's already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3otoajlC_hQ

Eh, I confess I skip the OP/ED but I watched this one completely. Is this fanmade?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Alder posted:

Eh, I confess I skip the OP/ED but I watched this one completely. Is this fanmade?

Yeah, seems it took 2 months to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last episode is out.

Really needs a second season. Honoo finally losing it was surprisingly moving and the real Okada as Tezuka was great.

• Locked thread